ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th January 2020, 07:21 PM   #201
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

My air is the wrong colour.
Old 4th January 2020, 07:26 PM   #202
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
My air is the wrong colour.
That's because you spelled it wrong.
Old 4th January 2020, 07:26 PM   #203
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Heard the latest on Morrison.

Please take back any of the slightest notion of me portraying him any thing other than a complete spoon.

Cheers

Hope things are going as best as poss
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 07:49 PM   #204
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That's because you spelled it wrong.
No, it's because we're currently experiencing an AQI of 813. According to my scale, everything above 200 considered "Hazardous". My PM2.5 is 788.4 and my PM10 is 916.6. This is measured from an air quality station just up the road from me.

It's hard to convey emotion with numbers and this is a very emotional time, so I will say this. There was no dawn this morning. The smoke was too thick to see anything but a dim diffuse red glow. I haven't set foot outside my house and I'm coughing like I'm still a smoker. The smell is in everything.

I feel like I need to get the hell somewhere else, but there's no-where to go. I'm just trying to not breathe.
Old 4th January 2020, 07:54 PM   #205
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

No, it's because we're currently experiencing an AQI of 813. According to my scale, everything above 200 considered "Hazardous". My PM2.5 is 788.4 and my PM10 is 916.6. This is measured from an air quality station just up the road from me.

It's hard to convey emotion with numbers and this is a very emotional time, so I will say this. There was no dawn this morning. The smoke was too thick to see anything but a dim diffuse red glow. I haven't set foot outside my house and I'm coughing like I'm still a smoker. The smell is in everything.

I feel like I need to get the hell somewhere else, but there's no-where to go. I'm just trying to not breathe.
Do not not breathe.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 08:02 PM   #206
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

What region are you again arthwolliipot?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 08:36 PM   #207
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Sorry for a joke at a bad time.
Old 4th January 2020, 08:38 PM   #208
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
What region are you again arthwolliipot?
He lives near me in Canberra. I agree it is bad today. I got eye drops because the smoke is affecting my eyes.

Edit. Agreed. I want to get out of here. But, that means Tas. Only trouble is that the smoke will not clear until early February when the politicians come to town and produce enough hot air to get rid of the smoke.

Last edited by rjh01; 4th January 2020 at 08:40 PM.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 08:44 PM   #209
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

There were a couple fires in Tas yesterday too.

They had a horrendous bush fire back in the '70s, lost ~2,000 homes in Hobart IIRC, which I probably don't. But it was something like that.
Old 4th January 2020, 09:29 PM   #210
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Summer in Australia. 11C where I am now, and we will soon put on the central heating.

15C in Mallacoota and it looks like they will get decent rain tomorrow.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 10:31 PM   #211
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I’ve been re-watching a documentary on Black Saturday. I guess to remind me that on Code Red days we need to run early. The current fires are devastating, but not a patch on Black Saturday, where embers were thrown 10km ahead of the front and “fire-proof” homes were instantly destroyed. We know two people who died on that day and many others who barely escaped.

Very depressing.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2020, 11:07 PM   #212
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

There were lessons learnt that have helped. Like evacuating a whole region where the risk is highest.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2020, 12:19 AM   #213
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I’ve been re-watching a documentary on Black Saturday. I guess to remind me that on Code Red days we need to run early. The current fires are devastating, but not a patch on Black Saturday, where embers were thrown 10km ahead of the front and “fire-proof” homes were instantly destroyed. We know two people who died on that day and many others who barely escaped.

Very depressing.
Was thinking about houses burning. It may not be the house that burns but all the furniture inside that burns. This generates enough heat to destroy the house. Anything made of cloth, wood or plastic will burn and that is a lot of things. Not to mention metals turning into their oxide releasing even more heat.
Old 5th January 2020, 01:08 AM   #214
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

The smoke is so thick it is setting off smoke alarms. It is not just one or two but many.
Quote:
11:24am Sunday 5 Jan 2020
The thick smoke across Canberra has been setting off Automatic Fire Alarms (AFAs) over the last few weeks.

ACT Fire & Rescue were kept busy last night responding to over 200 AFAs.
https://esa.act.gov.au/act-fire-rescue-respond-afas
Old 5th January 2020, 01:51 AM   #215
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

There's so much smoke it's crossing the Tasman and darkening skies here.

This is Auckland at 3 pm today - the smoke has travelled 4000 km to get here, yet is still thick enough to make a bright afternoon very dull:

More here: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/118...to-new-zealand
Old 5th January 2020, 02:42 AM   #216
Elaedith
Graduate Poster

Canberra is currently ranked as the world's most polluted city with an AQI of 728. The next is Dhaka, Bangladesh, with an AQI of 180.
Elaedith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2020, 02:53 AM   #217
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Seriously Arthwollipot, don't go outside without a canister style respirator mask.

That is just insane levels of smoke.

And wood smoke is quite dangerous.
Old 5th January 2020, 03:51 AM   #218
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

If you want to see a YouTube of Canberra today watch this. Shot by a friend of a friend.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 5th January 2020, 05:13 AM   #219
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
There's so much smoke it's crossing the Tasman and darkening skies here.

This is Auckland at 3 pm today - the smoke has travelled 4000 km to get here, yet is still thick enough to make a bright afternoon very dull:

http://charman.co.nz/smoke2.jpg

http://charman.co.nz/smoke3.jpg

More here: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/118...to-new-zealand
That’s shocking. It’s still raining here, and I’m certain that will extend to the fire zones. This may be the last you see of these skies.

Although we have had smoky skies here in Melbourne it’s been nothing like this due to the normal west-east weather patterns and no major fires to our west.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 5th January 2020, 05:30 AM   #220
LibraryLady
Emeritus

Please stay safe. You are needed.
Old 5th January 2020, 09:27 AM   #221
sackett
Philosopher

If aircraft carriers were retasked for hauling water bombers, they could deploy close inshore and shuttle drops of H2O & retardants. Not large bombers, but twin engine models. Turnaround could be quick.
Hell, even fighter bombers could carry firefighting loads, and deliver them accurately.

This is me, trying to combat my frustration. I wish I could actually help.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2020, 12:01 PM   #222
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
If aircraft carriers were retasked for hauling water bombers, they could deploy close inshore and shuttle drops of H2O & retardants. Not large bombers, but twin engine models. Turnaround could be quick.
Hell, even fighter bombers could carry firefighting loads, and deliver them accurately.

This is me, trying to combat my frustration. I wish I could actually help.
Australia does not have aircraft carriers.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 5th January 2020, 12:16 PM   #223
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

I watched BBC world new yesterday and they covered it.

My condolences to the victims. Wildfires are ugly things to fight and insurance or no insurance the aftermath is uglier.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2020, 12:48 PM   #224
Samson
Philosopher

I am curious to imagine what Scott Morrison needs to say in response to this bushfire season.
These fires are clearly releasing vast quantities of CO2, but this has been drawn from the atmosphere in the last few hundred years. It seems 60% of Australian electricity is coal fired, and coal is a massive export.
Any climate change mitigation response by Scomo must be a guarantee of massive reduction in lifestyle quality for Australians, unless I am missing something.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2020, 01:48 PM   #225
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Australia does not have aircraft carriers.
I knew that already. I want to see the world's carriers diverted to firefighting, and perhaps to other emergency duties. For many decades to come.

I said I was frustrated.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2020, 02:06 PM   #226
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
I am curious to imagine what Scott Morrison needs to say in response to this bushfire season.
These fires are clearly releasing vast quantities of CO2, but this has been drawn from the atmosphere in the last few hundred years. It seems 60% of Australian electricity is coal fired, and coal is a massive export.
Any climate change mitigation response by Scomo must be a guarantee of massive reduction in lifestyle quality for Australians, unless I am missing something.
I guess you're missing the amount that can be saved with no "massive reduction in lifestyle quality".

Examples:

1. Turning the power off on equipment that isn't in use.
2. Turning the lights out when you're not in a room.
3. Insulating the home.
4. Not using powered 'clothes driers'*.
5. Setting interior environment controls to more suitable temperatures.
6. Not lighting a home with 200,000 watts of "low voltage" lamps.

A huge segment of the Australian population have powered their homes with solar panels, and heat their water with solar hot water heaters.

(I installed solar/gas hot water in 2001 after buying this house, and solar PV in 2007).

I visited a friend yesterday who is waiting for his 20 kWh battery system to be installed.

*Note, I've never owned a clothes drier. That's how unnecessary they are in Australia.
Old 5th January 2020, 02:46 PM   #227
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
It didn't have to be a massive change but the coal industry has literally just been digging deeper when we need to get out of this hole.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2020, 06:02 PM   #228
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
It didn't have to be a massive change but the coal industry has literally just been digging deeper when we need to get out of this hole.
Quick question: How many AUSTRALIAN jobs are involved in coal mining here? I qualify it thus because I am being told much of the mining industry is automated now and many workers are temporary immigrants on short-term visas, i.e. not Australians, and their pay goes home with them.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2020, 07:44 PM   #229
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

AQI here is down to 343 today. I have taken deep breaths for the first time in a week.

ETA: Note that this is still considered "Hazardous".

Last edited by arthwollipot; 5th January 2020 at 07:47 PM.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2020, 07:47 PM   #230
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Sorry for a joke at a bad time.
Honestly, it's fine.
Old 5th January 2020, 10:08 PM   #231
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Well, it's not nothing.

Bushfire recovery bill starts at $2 billion but is set to grow

Quote:
The Federal Government is committing an additional $2 billion over two years to a new agency tasked with rebuilding bushfire-ravaged towns.

The national bushfire recovery agency will be led by former Australian Federal Police commissioner Andrew Colvin, working closely with the states and territories to rebuild homes and critical infrastructure destroyed in the bushfires.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison made the announcement after a National Security Committee of Cabinet meeting in Canberra.

"The $2 billion commitment is an additional cost, an initial commitment, and if further funds are required, further funds will be provided," Mr Morrison said.

The new bushfire recovery agency will operate for at least two years and the new funding is separate to existing disaster relief payments.

Mr Morrison also confirmed 20 Services Australia "pop-ups" would be deployed to affected communities to provide help.
But it would have been nice six weeks ago.
Old 6th January 2020, 01:47 AM   #232
Samson
Philosopher

Heh look at this

The fires were mentioned multiple times during the Golden Globes today, with the likes of Pierce Brosnan, Ellen DeGeneres, Patricia Arquette and Cate Blanchett chiming in with messages of support.

And overseas media outlets continue to dissect Australia's response to the crisis – often in strikingly harsh terms

While the average pom vomits 26 times the CO2 of the average African. All fun and games to see whether Africans increase or Poms reduce.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2020, 08:17 AM   #233
Swordfishtrombone
Illuminator

Scary times for Australia.

Those air quality numbers are shocking - breathing isn't exactly optional.

One promising change in the recent years though; public acceptance on the reality of climate change, and that it's caused by human action, has been increasing. The denialist arguments are losing ground. Just read about a poll here in Finland (that had an error margin of 3.2%) which had only 1% of respondents answer affirmatively to the claim "No action is needed to mitigate climate change".

That was surpricing, in a good way, to me - the people who deny anthropogenic climate change are a surpricingly small minority here.

Anyway, stay safe those of you in Australia dealing with this horror. Hoping for rain, and lots of it, soon.
Swordfishtrombone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2020, 12:39 PM   #234
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Swordfishtrombone View Post
Scary times for Australia.

Those air quality numbers are shocking - breathing isn't exactly optional.

One promising change in the recent years though; public acceptance on the reality of climate change, and that it's caused by human action, has been increasing. The denialist arguments are losing ground. Just read about a poll here in Finland (that had an error margin of 3.2%) which had only 1% of respondents answer affirmatively to the claim "No action is needed to mitigate climate change".

That was surpricing, in a good way, to me - the people who deny anthropogenic climate change are a surpricingly small minority here.

Anyway, stay safe those of you in Australia dealing with this horror. Hoping for rain, and lots of it, soon.
One problem Australia has is that the people who want to do nothing about Climate Change are in power. With support of the fossil fuel industry.
Old 6th January 2020, 01:27 PM   #235
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
One problem Australia has is that the people who want to do nothing about Climate Change are in power. With support of the fossil fuel industry.
Welcome to the club.

At least you guys now have an entire electorate that may want to change that, though I don't recommend anyone go that route on purpose.
Old 6th January 2020, 01:46 PM   #236
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Australia produces 1.08% of world CO2 fossil production:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...xide_emissions

The problem is elsewhere:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:W...ederations.png

I also suggest booting up windy.com and turning on CO layer (yeah, I know CO is not CO2 .. it's still tightly related to CO2 generating industry.
Btw. they also have new 'active fires' layer, though it has really low resolution.
Dr.Sid is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2020, 02:16 PM   #237
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Welcome to the club.

At least you guys now have an entire electorate that may want to change that, though I don't recommend anyone go that route on purpose.
That is not accurate. We have individual seats that elect one MP each. Some of them are Labor (opposition) so they have no say in kicking out the government. Some are very safe Liberal / National (Government) who would always vote Liberal / National. Then there are the seats that depend on the fossil fuel industry. So that does not leave too many seats that could change hands. Will have to look at how many seats in SA, VIC and NSW are marginal Liberal. People in New Zealand do not vote in the Australian election, even though we gave them smoke to breath.
Old 6th January 2020, 02:24 PM   #238
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Here are the number of MPs per state by party
NSW
24 Australian Labor Party
1 Independent
15 Liberal Party of Australia
7 The Nationals

VIC
1 Australian Greens
21 Australian Labor Party
1 Independent
12 Liberal Party of Australia
3 The Nationals

QLD
6 Australian Labor Party
1 Katter's Australian Party
23 Liberal National Party of Queensland

SA
5 Australian Labor Party
1 Centre Alliance
4 Liberal Party of Australia

WA
5 Australian Labor Party
11 Liberal Party of Australia

TAS
2 Australian Labor Party
1 Independent
2 Liberal Party of Australia

Source: https://www.aph.gov.au/Senators_and_...=-1&gen=0&ps=0
Old 6th January 2020, 03:04 PM   #239
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...xide_emissions.
But it has only 0.5% of the world’s population. Our per capita emissions are disgraceful by world standards. Yet Morrison keeps on bleating about how we are meeting commitments (********) and goes around lecturing other nations about what they should do.

He’s a liar and a danger to the future of the nation. The trouble here is that there is no future leader in sight who will do what is necessary to mitigate emissions. I hope one emerges very soon.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 6th January 2020, 03:14 PM   #240
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...xide_emissions

The problem is elsewhere:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:W...ederations.png

I also suggest booting up windy.com and turning on CO layer (yeah, I know CO is not CO2 .. it's still tightly related to CO2 generating industry.
Btw. they also have new 'active fires' layer, though it has really low resolution.
Australia should be a leader in reducing CO2 emissions. Instead it has been having the system for years and doing everything it can to minimise global action. It exports huge amounts of coal and gas that it should be keeping in the ground.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events