ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th January 2020, 07:34 AM   #1
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

UK - Rail Nationalisation

We were warned by the Conservative Party that, if elected, the Labour Party would re-nationalise the rail network. The only way to stop this would be to vote Conservative and preserve free enterprise.

Less than two months after the election and one rail firm has been nationalised, seems like the Conservatives were right - oh no, it was the Tories who were elected

Quote:
Troubled rail company Northern is to be brought under government control.

The decision, which will see the firm's franchise stripped from operator Arriva Rail North from 1 March, was taken following years of major disruption.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51298820

Personally I think that rail privatisation was horribly botched and the primary concern was ensuring that privatisation couldn't be reversed rather than getting the best railway for users. As such this is good news for rail users.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 07:50 AM   #2
ceptimus
puzzler

The problem is that once enough taxpayers' money has been poured into Northern Rail to get it back on the rails, then it will be refranchised to a different fat-cat franchising company who can then milk it for profit.

If the government takes the sensible decision to cancel HS2, that will pay for propping up Northern Rail, and still give a net saving to the taxpayers. Regrettably, I don't think the government is brave enough to do that.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 08:06 AM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
We were warned by the Conservative Party that, if elected, the Labour Party would re-nationalise the rail network. The only way to stop this would be to vote Conservative and preserve free enterprise.

Less than two months after the election and one rail firm has been nationalised, seems like the Conservatives were right - oh no, it was the Tories who were elected ; )
Is there room in your analysis for something nuanced like "we're opposed to rail nationalization generally, but we have to make an exception for Northern, which is now too far gone to avoid this move"?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 08:24 AM   #4
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Is there room in your analysis for something nuanced like "we're opposed to rail nationalization generally, but we have to make an exception for Northern, which is now too far gone to avoid this move"?

In and of itself a fantastic argument against privatisation.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 08:29 AM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
In and of itself a fantastic argument against privatisation.
Agreed. But beside the point. My point being, not everything is binary hypocrisy or whatever.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2020, 08:40 AM   #6
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Agreed. But beside the point. My point being, not everything is binary hypocrisy or whatever.
However, in this instance it is.

"these blokes we gave it to this time took a large amount of money out of the system, ran the stock into the ground and bust the company. But the next lot we choose will be better." Is not a statement I have much truck with.

"We believe privatisation is the most efficient way" Is not a convincing statement when coupled with the above.

Seems pretty hypocritical to me.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2020, 09:13 AM   #7
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
The problem is that once enough taxpayers' money has been poured into Northern Rail to get it back on the rails, then it will be refranchised to a different fat-cat franchising company who can then milk it for profit.
I rarely agree with you on some other subjects, but in this instance I'm with you 100%.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics