ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags celebrity incidents , Mick Jagger , sexual assault incidents , sexual assault issues

Old 3rd February 2020, 08:56 AM   #81
Vixen
Suspended

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
I'm surprised nobody has posted this one yet:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
People say this was about Marcia Hunt but I can reveal it is about....a Mars bar.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:04 AM   #82
Vixen
Suspended

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I'm left wondering how many will get this reference? Nice one!
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes, well, you might find
You get what you need
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:09 AM   #83
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I gotta say man "You see we're enlightened enough to not get angry when someone tries to bang our 15 year old daughter" is certainly the most eyebrow raising version of "You see here in the glorious utopia of Sweden we're better then American because..." I've yet seen.
It's certainly better than the "if someone tries to date my daughter, i'll kill them!" response that seems to be the socially acceptable attitude in America.
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:11 AM   #84
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
It's certainly better than the "if someone tries to date my daughter, i'll kill them!" response that seems to be the socially acceptable attitude in America.
The socially acceptable American stance is "she's fifteen, wait a couple of years".
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:11 AM   #85
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
The socially acceptable American stance is "she's fifteen, wait a couple of years".
Or just marry her.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:13 AM   #86
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Or just marry her.
Again, just because something may be legal doesn't mean it's not sleazy. I'm fairly confident the mainstream of America frowns upon marriage at 15.
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:16 AM   #87
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again, just because something may be legal doesn't mean it's not sleazy. I'm fairly confident the mainstream of America frowns upon marriage at 15.
That was also my point.

America has some... let me be charitable and call it outmoded idea concerning sex/romance/marriage at an early age.

I'm just not holding it up as an argument for our cultural superiority.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 3rd February 2020 at 09:19 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:19 AM   #88
Thermal
Philosopher

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:21 AM   #89
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I AGREE
That song's been playing in my head this whole thread. Pisses me off that it's a lovely song music-wise, but so damn creepy meaning-wise.
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:29 AM   #90
Thermal
Philosopher

That song's been playing in my head this whole thread. Pisses me off that it's a lovely song music-wise, but so damn creepy meaning-wise.
How about it? I watched a bit of the video, and it got like 85 times creepier. I somehow pictured the singer as being 18 and the girl as very mature, so it was kind of a Romeo and Juliet thingy. It's way not.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:43 AM   #91
Arcade22
Philosopher

Yeah and then they refuse to "wait a couple of years" because there's nothing illegal about their relationship (because they are around the same age). That's when they pull out the shotgun and imprison their daughter to keep her "safe"...

Last edited by Arcade22; 3rd February 2020 at 09:44 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:46 AM   #92
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah and then they refuse to "wait a couple of years" because there's nothing illegal about their relationship (because they are around the same age). That's when they pull out the shotgun and imprison their daughter to keep her "safe"...
Yes we do that. And this is a bad thing. Nobody is arguing that.
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:57 AM   #93
ahhell
Illuminator

Yes we do that. And this is a bad thing. Nobody is arguing that.
I'd argue that we don't actually do that, the shot gun anyway and its actually just a weird subculture that actually does make girls get married to their rapists, and most of us condemn them as much as the rest of the world. Unfortunately, our attention spans are so low, most folks have already forgotten that happens in the US.

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Legal age of consent has nothing to do with 'readiness for sex'.

It is merely a way of drawing the line of when a child/young adult stops being the legal property of the parent/s.
So, anyone else notice that time when Vixen said the only reason for age of consent laws is to determine when parents stop "owning" their children? Cause, you know the only reason I think adults shouldn't have sex with 10 year olds is because they are property.

Last edited by ahhell; 3rd February 2020 at 09:59 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 10:07 AM   #94
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

So, just out of curiosity, how many days away from legal was she? We know it was less than 12 months. Are we talking three or four months, or could we be talking about mere weeks?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 10:09 AM   #95
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
How about it? I watched a bit of the video, and it got like 85 times creepier. I somehow pictured the singer as being 18 and the girl as very mature, so it was kind of a Romeo and Juliet thingy. It's way not.
That was disturbing. Am I the only one who noticed that there seemed to be a white van parked outside her bedroom window?

Bonus question - did the Stones ever cover "Good Mornin' Little Schoolgirl?" Seems like they would have.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 10:09 AM   #96
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Yeah, yeah, then we mount our horses, tip our ten gallon hats, and ride away into the sunset screaming "yee haw" and firing our six-shooters into the air because America is just the stereotypes foreigners imagine it to be.
Old 3rd February 2020, 10:31 AM   #97
Arcade22
Philosopher

Yeah, yeah, then we mount our horses, tip our ten gallon hats, and ride away into the sunset screaming "yee haw" and firing our six-shooters into the air because America is just the stereotypes foreigners imagine it to be.
Okay, maybe they don't necessarily threaten their daughters lover with a gun but apparently it's still deemed completely appropriate to basically lock them up inside their own home to "protect" them from themselves and their perfectly legal relationships.

The other alternative attitude is to respect the freedoms and responsibilities that children are given according by the law. In that sense it's formally no different from grudgingly tolerating that your 21 year old daughter is in a real, or merely perceived, bad relationship.

Legally speaking parents of course do have greater ability to intervene in their children's private life, and have an obligation to prevent obvious harm, but that doesn't mean they should be able to do so simply because they object to their relationship with someone that's noticeably older than them, are from another religious community, are of the same sex or because of some other unreasonable objection. In other words, their own value based objections are irrelevant.

Last edited by Arcade22; 3rd February 2020 at 10:35 AM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 10:36 AM   #98
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Sometimes allowances can be made ...

https://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2...r-first-child/
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 10:41 AM   #99
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Okay, maybe they don't necessarily threaten their daughters lover with a gun but apparently it's still deemed completely appropriate to basically lock them up inside their own home to "protect" them from themselves and their perfectly legal relationships.
I disagree with your characterization of Americans. I've been an American for all my life, and lived in the place for all but two years of it, and that is not how I perceive the mainstream to be.
Old 3rd February 2020, 11:02 AM   #100
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

This thread is mindblowing proof of horshoe theory
Old 3rd February 2020, 11:06 AM   #101
Elagabalus
Philosopher

The sleeveless shirt doesn't help.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 11:14 AM   #102
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
This thread is mindblowing proof of horshoe theory
Seems to me more like a rejection of moderation. Apparently one must either allow anything or forbid everything; using one's judgment and concluding moderation in all things is somehow unfashionable.
Old 3rd February 2020, 11:19 AM   #103
Vixen
Suspended

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
The sleeveless shirt doesn't help.
If that was creepy, don't forget this...

I AGREE
Old 3rd February 2020, 11:32 AM   #104
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Legal age of consent has nothing to do with 'readiness for sex'.

It is merely a way of drawing the line of when a child/young adult stops being the legal property responsibility of the parent/s.
FTFY

A child is never the "legal property" of their parents, at least, not in a civilised society. That parents have a legal responsibility to care for them doesn't mean they own them.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 12:07 PM   #105
Arcade22
Philosopher

I disagree with your characterization of Americans. I've been an American for all my life, and lived in the place for all but two years of it, and that is not how I perceive the mainstream to be.
The fact that this kind of thing is even legal is bad enough. Parents should certainly not be allowed to interfere and veto their children's social interactions and personal relationships simply because they object to them. It's one thing to object to relationships and social interactions that are illegal, abusive or otherwise have an objectively demonstrable negative impact on their well-being. But feeling that you somehow have the right to interfere with your daughters personal relationships for no reason other than that you can, or because you are so over-protective that you refuse her personal autonomy? That's the kind of thing that tends to fall under the label of "honor repression".

Last edited by Arcade22; 3rd February 2020 at 12:21 PM.
Old 3rd February 2020, 12:16 PM   #106
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Mick likes 'em young:

https://nypost.com/2009/09/25/macken...ger-bedded-me/

You can’t always get what you want — but Mick Jagger did. He bedded an 18-year-old Mackenzie Phillips on a steamy New York night in the late 1970s, she claims.

The wild child and “One Day at a Time” actress says she had sex with the Rolling Stones frontman during a raucous, drug-fueled party at the Central Park West home of her dad, folk-rock star John Phillips.

“I’ve been waiting for this since you were 10 years old,” Jagger allegedly told the then-18-year-old Phillips.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 12:18 PM   #107
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The fact that this kind of thing is even legal is bad enough.
No you just let the 15 year old sleep with someone and act more civilized because of it.
Old 3rd February 2020, 12:29 PM   #108
Arcade22
Philosopher

No you just let the 15 year old sleep with someone and act more civilized because of it.
Let them? You speak as if their parents have a choice in the matter! They don't, and that is exactly why immigrants from patriarchal and traditional areas sometimes send their daughters and sons back "home" where it's perfectly legal and socially acceptable to lock them up until they can be married away.

Last edited by Arcade22; 3rd February 2020 at 12:32 PM.
Old 3rd February 2020, 12:42 PM   #109
ahhell
Illuminator

The fact that this kind of thing is even legal is bad enough. Parents should certainly not be allowed to interfere and veto their children's social interactions and personal relationships simply because they object to them. It's one thing to object to relationships and social interactions that are illegal, abusive or otherwise have an objectively demonstrable negative impact on their well-being. But feeling that you somehow have the right to interfere with your daughters personal relationships for no reason other than that you can, or because you are so over-protective that you refuse her personal autonomy? That's the kind of thing that tends to fall under the label of "honor repression".
So, am I to understand that in Sweden it would be illegal for a parent of 15 year old to interfere in their childrens' personal lives unless the kid is in some sort of objectively abusive, negative or illegal relationship? 14 year olds, 13 year olds, 12 year olds?
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 01:19 PM   #110
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Mick likes 'em young:

https://nypost.com/2009/09/25/macken...ger-bedded-me/

You can’t always get what you want — but Mick Jagger did. He bedded an 18-year-old Mackenzie Phillips on a steamy New York night in the late 1970s, she claims.

The wild child and “One Day at a Time” actress says she had sex with the Rolling Stones frontman during a raucous, drug-fueled party at the Central Park West home of her dad, folk-rock star John Phillips.

“I’ve been waiting for this since you were 10 years old,” Jagger allegedly told the then-18-year-old Phillips.
Was this before, during, or after her alleged incestuous relationship with her father?
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 01:27 PM   #111
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Seems to me more like a rejection of moderation. Apparently one must either allow anything or forbid everything; using one's judgment and concluding moderation in all things is somehow unfashionable.
This is where I'm sure NZ has it right - the legal age is 16, but it's flexible. As long as there isn't a disparity of more than 3-4 years in age, nobody ever gets punished.

When my boy was 16 and his girlfriend was 14, they went to the school counsellor to talk to her.

She gave them five dozen condoms.

They're still an item 15 years later, living together, and both in excellent professional jobs.
Old 3rd February 2020, 01:33 PM   #112
Vixen
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
This is where I'm sure NZ has it right - the legal age is 16, but it's flexible. As long as there isn't a disparity of more than 3-4 years in age, nobody ever gets punished.

When my boy was 16 and his girlfriend was 14, they went to the school counsellor to talk to her.

They're still an item 15 years later, living together, and both in excellent professional jobs.
Am I the only person on the planet who didn't have underage sex? <g d r>
Old 3rd February 2020, 01:50 PM   #113
ahhell
Illuminator

That's how the vast majority of US states operate too. Almost nobody thinks a 16 year old should go to jail for sleeping with 15 year old. There is however a disturbing number of states with exemptions for married folks and a disturbing number of states which allow fairly young people to get married with parent "permission" or if the child is pregnant. So, yes, basically, a child is allowed to marry her rapist.

Last edited by ahhell; 3rd February 2020 at 01:52 PM.
Old 3rd February 2020, 02:17 PM   #114
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Am I the only person on the planet who didn't have underage sex? <g d r>
That is a good question, maybe you could make a poll?
It would give data for this forum at least.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 02:22 PM   #115
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I think taking into account the age of the parties relative to each other makes more sense than having an arbitrary age line. A 15 year old and a 16 year old is far less dreadful than a 15 year old and a 33 year old!
Old 3rd February 2020, 02:37 PM   #116
Galaxie
Critical Thinker

This thread instantly reminded me of Lori Maddox (actually Mattix):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lori_Mattix
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 02:43 PM   #117
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
So, am I to understand that in Sweden it would be illegal for a parent of 15 year old to interfere in their childrens' personal lives unless the kid is in some sort of objectively abusive, negative or illegal relationship? 14 year olds, 13 year olds, 12 year olds?
If the interference is intense enough to deprive their child of the autonomy and independence that someone of their age and development is entitled they are liable to lose custody.

Parents are required by law to take into account the opinions and wishes of their child to an increasing degree as they age and become more mature. In practice, children in their teens are for the most part entitled to choose themselves who they have personal relations with, unless it can be justified by concerns for their welfare and healthy development.

Of course the examples that end up in court are not about individual isolated incidents of overprotective helicopter parents, rather it's about those subjecting their children to general patterns of completely unjustified restrictions on their personal autonomy and independence. Parents tell them how to dress, that they must come home directly from school and that they are not to be friends with or hang out with people of opposite sex.

Edit: any blanket bans on dating, having boyfriends, girlfriends or having sex as well as trying to prevent them from doing any of that would not be allowed.

Last edited by Arcade22; 3rd February 2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old 3rd February 2020, 07:23 PM   #118
Carlotta
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
That's how the vast majority of US states operate too. Almost nobody thinks a 16 year old should go to jail for sleeping with 15 year old. There is however a disturbing number of states with exemptions for married folks and a disturbing number of states which allow fairly young people to get married with parent "permission" or if the child is pregnant. So, yes, basically, a child is allowed to marry her rapist.
A friend of mine served some time in the seventies for statutory rape. His girlfriend was 17, he was either still 17 or barely eighteen. Also, daddy had some influence.
Carlotta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 08:09 PM   #119
xjx388
Philosopher

If the interference is intense enough to deprive their child of the autonomy and independence that someone of their age and development is entitled they are liable to lose custody.

Parents are required by law to take into account the opinions and wishes of their child to an increasing degree as they age and become more mature. In practice, children in their teens are for the most part entitled to choose themselves who they have personal relations with, unless it can be justified by concerns for their welfare and healthy development.

Of course the examples that end up in court are not about individual isolated incidents of overprotective helicopter parents, rather it's about those subjecting their children to general patterns of completely unjustified restrictions on their personal autonomy and independence. Parents tell them how to dress, that they must come home directly from school and that they are not to be friends with or hang out with people of opposite sex.

Edit: any blanket bans on dating, having boyfriends, girlfriends or having sex as well as trying to prevent them from doing any of that would not be allowed.

Get serious, that cannot be true.
Old 3rd February 2020, 08:11 PM   #120
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
A friend of mine served some time in the seventies for statutory rape. His girlfriend was 17, he was either still 17 or barely eighteen. Also, daddy had some influence.

Lemme have a guess

It was Hicktown, USA, somewhere in the South, and Daddy was involved in one or more of the following

Law Enforcement
City Hall
Baptist Church
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events