ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th February 2020, 02:52 AM   #1
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Kayaker lost in the Everglades for nearly two weeks found alive

67-year-old kayaker Mark Miele began a trek through the Everglades on January 22 and was supposed to return home a week ago. When he didn't, his family alerted the authorities, who began an extensive search. On Friday, searchers found his wallet and phone "washed up" on a river bank, and rescuers established a new search area based on clues provided by the phone.

Quote:
"By downloading the data on Mark's phone Sunday night, deputies found his most recent coordinates logged on January 31 and our aviation unit began a targeted search of the area," the sheriff's office said.

Shortly before noon Monday, the aviation unit located him and provided his location to a Marine Unit along with officers from the National Park Service.

He was found a few miles from where his phone had washed up wearing a life jacket and floating in the water face-up. Rescuers in boats rushed to the area and plucked him from the murky waters.

Miele is in stable condition at a local hospital, and his family thanked local and state authorities for rescuing him.
This is a happy ending. Mr. Miele left specific instructions with his family on what to do if he did not return home at the designated time, and they were followed. It sounds like he's in remarkably good shape considering how long he ostensibly has been lost.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 03:18 AM   #2
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

In NZ given the environment we call these people idiots.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 03:26 AM   #3
Hevneren
Thinker

I bet he was captured by the Gneezles. And given fergettin' juice before they released him.

Last edited by Hevneren; 5th February 2020 at 03:35 AM.
Hevneren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 03:37 AM   #4
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Just trying to work out what/where the Everglades is.

Is that the place you see on TV with the big fan things on the back of boats
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 04:03 AM   #5
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Just trying to work out what/where the Everglades is.

Is that the place you see on TV with the big fan things on the back of boats
Yep. Been on one of those. I can't see why you would trek there. It's basically swamp for miles and miles without much variation.
Old 5th February 2020, 04:18 AM   #6
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Yep. Been on one of those. I can't see why you would trek there. It's basically swamp for miles and miles without much variation.
Weird place to go solo. Mind you. Weird place to go kayaking in the first place unless there is a spectacular fish I have never heard of to get.

Old 5th February 2020, 08:02 AM   #7
rockysmith76
Muse

Guy goes through ordeal, leaves instructions if something goes wrong like folks like hikers and apparently kayakers are told to do, and he's mocked for it. Classy.....
rockysmith76 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 08:37 AM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Guy goes through ordeal, leaves instructions if something goes wrong like folks like hikers and apparently kayakers are told to do, and he's mocked for it. Classy.....
"I'm going to do something stupid and risky. If I don't return on time, make sure the state rescue agencies spend at least two weeks exhaustively searching for me. I'll arrange things so that if I fall in the water, the first thing I'll lose is my phone, which should make for a more suspenseful and prolonged search effort."

"Okay, sounds good! We'll have the police on speed dial! Enjoy your trip!"
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 08:42 AM   #9
rockysmith76
Muse

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
"I'm going to do something stupid and risky. If I don't return on time, make sure the state rescue agencies spend at least two weeks exhaustively searching for me. I'll arrange things so that if I fall in the water, the first thing I'll lose is my phone, which should make for a more suspenseful and prolonged search effort."

"Okay, sounds good! We'll have the police on speed dial! Enjoy your trip!"
someone gets outside alot. Leaving instructions if they don't return is standard procedure for backpackers and the like as well. Mocking someone through an ordeal is insight into callousness.
rockysmith76 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 08:43 AM   #10
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

How did his phone wash up on a river bank? Was it a floating phone? Same question for the wallet.
Old 5th February 2020, 08:45 AM   #11
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I can't see why you would trek there. It's basically swamp for miles and miles without much variation.
Outstanding and unique ecosystem for those who like nature.
Old 5th February 2020, 08:46 AM   #12
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

someone gets outside alot. Leaving instructions if they don't return is standard procedure for backpackers and the like as well. Mocking someone through an ordeal is insight into callousness.
I understand and approve of leaving instructions in case you don't return on schedule. That's great. But it is not the beginning nor the end of sensible behavior, nor a complete acquittal on all counts of silliness.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 08:48 AM   #13
rockysmith76
Muse

I understand and approve of leaving instructions in case you don't return on schedule. That's great. But it is not the beginning nor the end of sensible behavior, nor a complete acquittal on all counts of silliness.
Guy trying to enjoy the outdoors and stay in shape is silliness? ***************
Old 5th February 2020, 08:48 AM   #14
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If there's one thing I've learned in life, it's that close and prolonged contact with the most unvaried things will reveal their infinite variety. I bet there's a lot of little interesting variances that would stand out to you, after a few weeks in the Everglades.
Old 5th February 2020, 08:56 AM   #15
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
a bag containing his wallet and phone washed up on the bank of the Lopez River.
Ok, so it was probably a floating dry bag.
Old 5th February 2020, 08:58 AM   #16
Myriad
Hyperthetical

The wallet and cell that washed up on the shore must have been in a dry bag or other floating container. That's normal for kayaking.

One article I read reported that the kayak sank, but other more authoritative articles don't confirm that.

Not all types of kayak even can sink, and the ones that can, it's not easy to get them to do it. Whether it sank or not, how did he lose his most important stuff, and his boat, on flat water?

When found he was floating in the water, and reportedly had been for days, and was dehydrated and hypothermic. He was yards away from stands of mangrove or whatever those plants in the video footage are. There's some missing element needed to make the whole story make sense. My guess would be an acute medical problem that impaired his physical abilities and/or his judgment.

I started flat-water river and coastal kayaking last year. I sometimes paddle alone which no one should do, and I sometimes can't resist the open water farther from shore than I really should be. I carry a compass, chart, phone, lights, and flares. My paddle and gear are always leashed up, I wear a life jacket, and my boat is positively buoyant even if swamped. An acute medical emergency like a sudden heart attack could still do me in, but I've done lots of other outdoor stuff where that's also true.

I'll be interested to learn more about this case. There's probably something useful to be learned from it.
Old 5th February 2020, 09:05 AM   #17
Myriad
Hyperthetical

If there's one thing I've learned in life, it's that close and prolonged contact with the most unvaried things will reveal their infinite variety. I bet there's a lot of little interesting variances that would stand out to you, after a few weeks in the Everglades.

Well said.
Old 5th February 2020, 09:10 AM   #18
Thermal
Philosopher

So home boy was a week overdue without contact before the fam sounded the alarm? Some might consider that foolish. He could very likely have been alligator food by then.

And it appears it was only a fluke that they found his phone, that provided the info to track him down, where he was found unconscious and bobbing around and chumming the waters. So again, not exactly a well-laid plan. About as bad as you could get, really. Chalk his survival up to dumb luck and his coincidental cel phone provider.

eta: he was apparently conscious, but hypothermic and his 'butt touching the bottom', very shallow water.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi

Last edited by Thermal; 5th February 2020 at 09:26 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 09:11 AM   #19
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Guy trying to enjoy the outdoors and stay in shape is silliness? ***************
I'm sorry. I got carried away. I'll try to be more charitable in the future.
Old 5th February 2020, 09:16 AM   #20
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Miami Herald is calling it a canoe, not a kayak...

Originally Posted by Miami Herald
His canoe?

It was halfway filled with water, and found in the area by some mangroves.

It’s still a mystery what went wrong...
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/sta...239942753.html
Old 5th February 2020, 09:20 AM   #21
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
The wallet and cell that washed up on the shore must have been in a dry bag or other floating container. That's normal for kayaking.
No, the quote from the article clearly states "...his phone had washed up wearing a life jacket..."
Old 5th February 2020, 09:24 AM   #22
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/sta...239942753.html
Hm. According to this story, his relatives did nothing at all. Other paddlers found his stuff floating around and sounded the alarm.

OP, we changing this to 'fool' or staying with 'well planned'?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 09:25 AM   #23
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
He could very likely have been alligator food by then.
It seems like he was in saltwater which is avoided by alligators. It might also explain his dehydration.
Old 5th February 2020, 09:26 AM   #24
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
These days there are a lot of little plastic boats that are sort of halfway between kayak and canoe. Fun for paddling around on lakes and slow flat rivers, useless in whitewater or ocean. Might have been one of those.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 09:28 AM   #25
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

...snip...
I'll be interested to learn more about this case. There's probably something useful to be learned from it.
Yes indeed. According to the judges herein.

1) You're an idiot.
2) What you are doing is stupid and risky.
3) You're a (potential) drain on state rescue resources.
4) You are using at least one count of silliness.
5) "Some" (maybe Thermal, maybe not) might consider you foolish.
6) You may simply have to rely on dumb luck.

If this thread goes beyond one page I'm sure there will be many other, similar, learning points.

Last edited by bluesjnr; 5th February 2020 at 09:29 AM.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 09:30 AM   #26
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

1. The Everglades is a beautiful place filled with very interesting animals and plants. Easy to see why someone would wish to explore it.

2. Guy runs into trouble. Reasons not yet clear. He may have made stupid mistakes or he may have done everything reasonable and overwhelmed by events out of his control. We don't know yet.

3. Fortunately he leaves instructions in case he does not return on time, a standard bit of wisdom for those entering the wildness. In fact something strongly recommended by most park rangers, etc. Obviously this safety fallback will use rescue resources if it comes to that. That is what they are there for.

Why the initial rush to mock him?

I will express my wonderment that he was not consumed by an alligator. Perhaps they are not common in the particular part of the Everglades he was in. Or maybe they always received a voicemail prompt when they called his cell phone and assumed he was unavailable.

Last edited by Giordano; 5th February 2020 at 09:32 AM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 09:32 AM   #27
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
No, the quote from the article clearly states "...his phone had washed up wearing a life jacket..."

(If that wasn't a joke, read the sentence again.)
Old 5th February 2020, 09:32 AM   #28
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Multi-day trips through the everglades are a common recreational activity.
The national park service has even erected elevated camping platforms on more common routes for people doing overnighters.
That said, it's a very large area and without topography to help orient a person, getting lost is a possibility.
Kayaking alone is also very common.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 09:38 AM   #29
rockysmith76
Muse

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Multi-day trips through the everglades are a common recreational activity.
The national park service has even erected elevated camping platforms on more common routes for people doing overnighters.
That said, it's a very large area and without topography to help orient a person, getting lost is a possibility.
Kayaking alone is also very common.
Exactly. How many mocking this guy fall into a plumb couch potato pattern? The mocking of a guy with adventurous spirit enjoying a national park is completely uncalled for and callously pathetic.
Old 5th February 2020, 09:42 AM   #30
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Yes indeed. According to the judges herein.

1) You're an idiot.
2) What you are doing is stupid and risky.
3) You're a (potential) drain on state rescue resources.
4) You are using at least one count of silliness.
5) "Some" (maybe Thermal, maybe not) might consider you foolish.
6) You may simply have to rely on dumb luck.

If this thread goes beyond one page I'm sure there will be many other, similar, learning points.
Not at all. I have great support for any adventurers, well planned or not.

My intent is to compare this with the recent Alaska 'Fool' thread, also by our OP. Not clear why that guy was a fool and this one responsible. Both to me seem to have had bad luck, and were rescued by good luck. Their respective contingency plannings both seem pretty lacking, although I confess to worse planning myself.

Old 5th February 2020, 09:48 AM   #31
rockysmith76
Muse

Not at all. I have great support for any adventurers, well planned or not.

My intent is to compare this with the recent Alaska 'Fool' thread, also by our OP. Not clear why that guy was a fool and this one responsible. Both to me seem to have had bad luck, and were rescued by good luck. Their respective contingency plannings both seem pretty lacking, although I confess to worse planning myself.
quoting the list's reference to judges ie: judgement, how many judging get out into the outdoors, and how many are armchair know it alls who have never been.

Theres a divide to be made those who 'read something" and those who regularly do that something.
Old 5th February 2020, 09:59 AM   #32
Thermal
Philosopher

quoting the list's reference to judges ie: judgement, how many judging get out into the outdoors, and how many are armchair know it alls who have never been.

Theres a divide to be made those who 'read something" and those who regularly do that something.
Yeah, and I spend most of my life working and playing outdoors. I can fully sympathize with poorly laid contingency plans; I impulsively leave the State to go have fun on occasion, with quite literally no one but any accomplices knowing where I am. So I get impulsively finding yourself in a bad situation, and not having adequately planned for SHTF rescue.

Again, my argument here is with the OP's inconsistent spin on the stories.

Old 5th February 2020, 10:13 AM   #33
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Exactly. How many mocking this guy fall into a plumb couch potato pattern? The mocking of a guy with adventurous spirit enjoying a national park is completely uncalled for and callously pathetic.
Well, I disagree in that I think mocking anyone at any time is ok, if funny.
But I agree with your larger point that there's a lot of internet experts (they also tend to be experts on MMA, getting laid, personal finance, physical fitness and many other things) who love to pile on with their expertise any time someone has a mishap that requires rescue. Sometimes **** just happens.

Last edited by Pterodactyl; 5th February 2020 at 10:15 AM.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 10:18 AM   #34
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

(If that wasn't a joke, read the sentence again.)
It was a joke aimed at bad writing!
Old 5th February 2020, 10:22 AM   #35
rockysmith76
Muse

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Well, I disagree in that I think mocking anyone at any time is ok, if funny.
But I agree with your larger point that there's a lot of internet experts (they also tend to be experts on MMA, getting laid, personal finance, physical fitness and many other things) who love to pile on with their expertise any time someone has a mishap that requires rescue. Sometimes **** just happens.
Its also not uncommon this expertise is from the latest magazine article they read.. funny how that works.
Old 5th February 2020, 11:32 AM   #36
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Yeah, and I spend most of my life working and playing outdoors. I can fully sympathize with poorly laid contingency plans; I impulsively leave the State to go have fun on occasion, with quite literally no one but any accomplices knowing where I am. So I get impulsively finding yourself in a bad situation, and not having adequately planned for SHTF rescue.

Yep, I spent most of my teens and twenties doing such outdoorsy things with my brother and no planning at all. A few months ago he called to tell me his hiking plans for the next few days as he was going out alone. I commented that we really should have done this throughout all of our adventures. He agreed and said he has likely pushed his luck too far to not do it now. So, I get texts with photos of maps and texts when he gets back. Luckily, I can read them from my couch.

He has only once had to be rescued by SAR. Not bad for the amount of time he has spent outdoors. We still give him **** about it, though.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 11:56 AM   #37
Checkmite

The original article I quoted implied that the search began after the family did not hear from him at the end of his trip. The reason for my different "spin" should be self-evident by the last sentence of my OP.

If the article you linked later is correct in stating that no search was underway at all until his belongings were found, then that is less fortunate and it may be no different from the Alaska situation after all.

It depends on where the information that he was supposed to be home in seven days comes from. In the original article, the positioning implies the family was aware:

Quote:
He was supposed to return seven days later, but his family did not hear from him.
If the family was aware that his trip was only supposed to take seven days but it turns out they did not act when day seven came and went, that's on them and not him. He did what one is actually supposed to do when you hiking/camping/whatever-ing and anticipate being out of contact for a while, and the family dropped the ball.

On the other hand, if the information that his trip was only supposed to last seven days only came from him when they rescued him and his family was unaware of this ETR, then he is indeed just as much of a fool as the Alaska guy.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 12:29 PM   #38
Elagabalus
Philosopher

...I wear a life jacket, and my boat is positively buoyant even if swamped...
In the Everglades...

Everything gets swamped.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 12:32 PM   #39
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The original article I quoted implied that the search began after the family did not hear from him at the end of his trip. The reason for my different "spin" should be self-evident by the last sentence of my OP.

If the article you linked later is correct in stating that no search was underway at all until his belongings were found, then that is less fortunate and it may be no different from the Alaska situation after all.

It depends on where the information that he was supposed to be home in seven days comes from. In the original article, the positioning implies the family was aware:

If the family was aware that his trip was only supposed to take seven days but it turns out they did not act when day seven came and went, that's on them and not him. He did what one is actually supposed to do when you hiking/camping/whatever-ing and anticipate being out of contact for a while, and the family dropped the ball.

On the other hand, if the information that his trip was only supposed to last seven days only came from him when they rescued him and his family was unaware of this ETR, then he is indeed just as much of a fool as the Alaska guy.
The OP contained no link and didn't cite a source, so there's that.

The CNN article you now link seems to say the family knew Mark was supposed to be back, but wasn't. Doesn't exactly sound like a plan to me. Sounds more like indifference.

Old 5th February 2020, 01:12 PM   #40
Checkmite

The OP contained no link and didn't cite a source, so there's that.
That'll teach me to post at 4AM. The article linked in my last post was supposed to have been linked in the OP, and the quotes in the OP come from it.

The CNN article you now link seems to say the family knew Mark was supposed to be back, but wasn't. Doesn't exactly sound like a plan to me. Sounds more like indifference.
I would contend that's a particularly uncharitable reading if the CNN article is all that is known about the case; it is only in retrospect considering the new article's new information that it becomes more reasonable. The whole paragraph in the CNN article says,

Quote:
He was supposed to return seven days later, but his family did not hear from him. On Sunday, park rangers found his belongings, including his wallet and phone, on the bank of the Lopez River near the Monroe County line, authorities said.
The sequence of events implied by the way article is written is that the effects were found by "park rangers" after he didn't return home by the appointed time. This isn't a legal contract or a scientific paper where exacting verbiage is all-important, so I think it's reasonable to deduce from the way it is written that the park rangers who found his stuff were searching for him because his family hadn't heard from him.

But you are right, if that is indeed not the case and he never told the family of his return date, he is just as irresponsible and foolish as the Alaska guy.

Last edited by Checkmite; 5th February 2020 at 01:13 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events