ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th February 2020, 08:55 PM   #41
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
It's an interview about her. People can get bored answering the same basic questions over and over, especially if you are as intelligent as she claims to be and autistic.
Probably the most valid post on this thread.

Fair point. Still a weird thing to do by her but fair point
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2020, 08:58 PM   #42
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
“Normal” = White, hetero, male fearful in a a declining hegemony. Oh for the good old days when weirdos like this were the butt of jokes and everyone used to laugh.
I am not fearful of anyone, wish for the good old days, or think this person should be personally offended for giggles.

I just think handing out a personalised guide on how people should talk to me is weird.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2020, 09:32 PM   #43
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I am not fearful of anyone, wish for the good old days, or think this person should be personally offended for giggles.

I just think handing out a personalised guide on how people should talk to me is weird.
If we all did that then everyone would spend all their time reading and conversation would become extinct.

Just like forums, Twitter, email etc.
Old 9th February 2020, 12:46 AM   #44
Cheetah
Master Poster

They might be referring to teetotal, chocolate loving, vegetarian, yogi feminist.

Which I think you will fin, while utterly "who cares".

Are choices
No they are not.
They are preferences. Preferences based on your personality.
Could you make the choice to become a teetotal, chocolate loving, vegetarian, yogi feminist?
And I don't mean acting like one but wanting to act like one.
Old 9th February 2020, 01:05 AM   #45
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Oh for the good old days when weirdos like this were the butt of jokes and everyone used to laugh.
I'm all for this.... to an extent. The days when we could prick the balloon of pomposity that surrounds this individual and her ilk are long lamented by me. She is a passive-aggressive, self important jerk and should be instructed to shove her list of demands right up her arse.
Old 9th February 2020, 01:16 AM   #46
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
No they are not.
They are preferences. Preferences based on your personality.
Could you make the choice to become a teetotal, chocolate loving, vegetarian, yogi feminist?
And I don't mean acting like one but wanting to act like one.
Yes I could because they are all choices. Whether you chose to think they are or not.

Same as transitioning and writing up a how to talk to me guide

Old 9th February 2020, 01:22 AM   #47
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Yes I could because they are all choices. Whether you chose to think they are or not.

Same as transitioning and writing up a how to talk to me guide
A guide to bigots is not such a bad thing.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2020, 01:23 AM   #48
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Let's put it this way

My sister is a veggie.

When we were growing up she wasn't as she didn't have any idea what a veggie was.

Got older now doesn't eat meat. Cooks meat sometimes for her kids as not dumb. And will let them decide if they chose to be veggie.

All choice

Old 9th February 2020, 01:24 AM   #49
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
A guide to bigots is not such a bad thing.
So you assume everyone is a bigot without a personal guide.

Old 9th February 2020, 10:17 AM   #50
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I think the word "choice" is seriously misapplied here. Of course in the dark days we wish were well behind us a person could choose to live in quiet denial, fear and loneliness so as to avoid derision, disenfranchisement and death. You can call it a choice, but the choice is what you do, not what you are. And that is true even if what you are is judged by many to be wrong, preposterous or crazy, and even if the reason for denial is a good one.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2020, 10:59 AM   #51
Shadowdweller
Muse

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I'm all for this.... to an extent. The days when we could prick the balloon of pomposity that surrounds this individual and her ilk are long lamented by me. She is a passive-aggressive, self important jerk and should be instructed to shove her list of demands right up her arse.
The autistic? Presuming this isn't some poorly worded Poe, you should take a good LONG look in a mirror, kid.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2020, 11:04 AM   #52
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's an interview about her. People can get bored answering the same basic questions over and over, especially if you are as intelligent as she claims to be and autistic.
"I get asked the same questions a lot. Here's a crib sheet with the answers, so that we don't have to waste time on them during the interview."

"Actually, let me just write an article about the crib sheet!"
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2020, 12:21 PM   #53
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by Shadowdweller View Post
The autistic? Presuming this isn't some poorly worded Poe, you should take a good LONG look in a mirror, kid.
I didn't single out autistic as being the issue here, why do you? What is it you hate about autistic people?

Last edited by bluesjnr; 9th February 2020 at 12:24 PM.
bluesjnr is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2020, 03:21 PM   #54
Shadowdweller
Muse

I didn't single out autistic as being the issue here, why do you? What is it you hate about autistic people?
Try looking up what autism is. Ideally before making yourself look any more droolingly stupid.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2020, 03:34 PM   #55
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Salty. Maybe she should include a preamble with trigger warning.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2020, 03:38 PM   #56
8enotto
Graduate Poster

She has a right to demand anything that she wants, within some limits. Everyone else has a right to react as they see fit, within some limits.

She wouldn't be happy with me refusing to read her " rules of interchange " and deciding how to go after that.

But I wouldn't risk any ' hate crimes ' for her and her weirdness.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2020, 03:48 PM   #57
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

There seems to be an extremely high rate of transgenderism among autistic people. It seems that gender transition is seen as a solution to problems that actually originate with autism rather than with gender itself. For example, autistic buys aren't as aggressive as other boys, and may shy away from physical competition. Autistic girls, on the other hand, may find the intense focus that other girls put on relationships to be overwhelming. So autistic boys and girls can end up with a profound sense of not belonging with other children of the same sex, and may find it easier to hang out with the opposite sex. Gender transition can look like a solution to this problem. But it isn't really.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2020, 04:00 PM   #58
bluesjnr

Try looking up what autism is. Ideally before making yourself look any more droolingly stupid.
Why are you obsessed with autism?

Would you try and explain your ire rather than take pot shots at me. I get it that your all "grr" and "why you..., I oughtta!" but you're the one making no sense?

What is your contention here?

My issue is that people who produce flyers instructing others how to behave, address and give advance warnings in writing about what to expect when one meets them need to have said flyer (metaphorically) shoved up their arse. It might let some wind out their sails.

Your argument seems to be "AUTISM!".

I don't think you're advancing your point.
Old 9th February 2020, 04:03 PM   #59
bluesjnr

Salty. Maybe she should include a preamble with trigger warning.
If she isn't triggering me today it'll be you tomorrow.
Old 9th February 2020, 04:47 PM   #60
Shadowdweller
Muse

Why are you obsessed with autism?

Would you try and explain your ire rather than take pot shots at me. I get it that your all "grr" and "why you..., I oughtta!" but you're the one making no sense?

What is your contention here?

My issue is that people who produce flyers instructing others how to behave, address and give advance warnings in writing about what to expect when one meets them need to have said flyer (metaphorically) shoved up their arse. It might let some wind out their sails.

Your argument seems to be "AUTISM!".

I don't think you're advancing your point.
Seriously, go spend a couple minutes looking up Autism. Since you clearly don't understand what it is; and the incidence of those on the spectrum is such that you will almost inevitably be forced to interact with one in the future, provided you don't live in a desert.

Your statement:
Originally Posted by bluesjnr
The days when we could prick the balloon of pomposity that surrounds this individual and her ilk are long lamented by me. She is a passive-aggressive, self important jerk and should be instructed to shove her list of demands right up her arse.
Compare / Contrast:

* Screaming at a blind man who blunders into a women's restroom to "read the ******* sign".

* Directing a paraplegic in a wheel chair to "head down the front stairs".

* Verbally demanding that a deaf woman "listen to what you're saying."

* Handing a big, heavy package to a person on crutches or using a walker.

Clearly the only POSSIBLE reason why an individual might have a brochure about how to deal with them is arrogance, passive-aggression, or pomposity

Last edited by Shadowdweller; 9th February 2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old 9th February 2020, 06:00 PM   #61
bluesjnr

Seriously, go spend a couple minutes looking up Autism. Since you clearly don't understand what it is; and the incidence of those on the spectrum is such that you will almost inevitably be forced to interact with one in the future, provided you don't live in a desert.

Your statement: Compare / Contrast:

* Screaming at a blind man who blunders into a women's restroom to "read the ******* sign".

* Directing a paraplegic in a wheel chair to "head down the front stairs".

* Verbally demanding that a deaf woman "listen to what you're saying."

* Handing a big, heavy package to a person on crutches or using a walker.

Clearly the only POSSIBLE reason why an individual might have a brochure about how to deal with them is arrogance, passive-aggression, or pomposity
You're on quite the crusade! What is the relevance of your compare/contrast list and how does it relate to my post or me?

Can you point out where I said that "clearly the only possible reason why an individual etc etc".

I'm finding your continued charade of attributing an agenda to me tiresome. You are allowed to disagree with me, of course, but it's really poor form to make stuff up then ramp yourself into such a tizzy.
Old 9th February 2020, 09:29 PM   #62
8enotto
Graduate Poster

I suspect the point of the list is even mostly functional autistic people have bad episodes.

Two breakrooms at work, one non smoking and the other for smokers.

The strange girl sat there and lectured us about rules against smoking until she was reminded of exactly which room she was in.

A lot of us would avoid contact with her after that. Then she talked about her social worker resolving her problems, not realizing she was one of the few there with an assigned social worker.

Her normal was not what most of us knew.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2020, 12:04 AM   #63
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
I suspect the point of the list is even mostly functional autistic people have bad episodes.

Two breakrooms at work, one non smoking and the other for smokers.

The strange girl sat there and lectured us about rules against smoking until she was reminded of exactly which room she was in.

A lot of us would avoid contact with her after that. Then she talked about her social worker resolving her problems, not realizing she was one of the few there with an assigned social worker.

Her normal was not what most of us knew.
I think the point of the list was a tad more nefarious with regard to asking me to compare/contrast.
Old 10th February 2020, 08:08 AM   #64
carlitos
"más divertido"

The place where they ate seems to have a snobby italian menu random word generator device. Onion confit dressing? Burrata stracciatela?
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2020, 09:46 AM   #65
bluesjnr

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
The place where they ate seems to have a snobby italian menu random word generator device. Onion confit dressing? Burrata stracciatela?
AUTISM!
Old 10th February 2020, 09:50 AM   #66
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Lifestyle porn.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2020, 11:06 AM   #67
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Lifestyle porn.
I thought that was where they rent a fancy condo for the video shoot, then the owners find out and threaten to sue.
Old 10th February 2020, 11:14 AM   #68
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I thought that was where they rent a fancy condo for the video shoot, then the owners find out and threaten to sue.
Other way around: It's when you bring the porno crew in for a shoot, and it's just instagram posing with the bed and the perfectly-plated food, and the jizz mopper wants to know if he's still going get paid.
Old 10th February 2020, 11:17 AM   #69
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Here's the problem.

Nobody understands anymore that there are two social standards.

1. I will not harm, harass, discriminate, hate, attack, etc you for reason X.
2. I will go out of my way to voluntarily openly engage with you, spend time with you, and interact with you.

1 and 2 are not the same sentence.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2020, 11:21 AM   #70
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Here's the problem.

2. I will go out of my way to voluntarily openly engage with you, spend time with you, and interact with you.

I subscribe to
3. I will completely ignore you unless I see a valid reason not to.
Old 10th February 2020, 08:12 PM   #71
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
"I get asked the same questions a lot. Here's a crib sheet with the answers, so that we don't have to waste time on them during the interview."

"Actually, let me just write an article about the crib sheet!"
They did the interview as well.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2020, 10:15 PM   #72
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Here's the problem.

The first could be used by avoidance or extrovert type people. It also doesn't state if reason Y or Z could be reason to discriminate. The second could be the extroverted individual being a saint to an utter bigot.

Very correct that those are qiite different.

I prefer a neutral approach to most folks, cordial but never giving away personal information not easily seen. Never seeking thier personal data.
Friends see the real me.
Old 11th February 2020, 11:08 PM   #73
HoverBoarder
Graduate Poster

https://www.smh.com.au/national/lunc...29-p53vq6.html

I'm all for individuality and that but get a grip
I kept reading through the story waiting for some point to the OP, but didn't find anything.

Seems like a great person who has done a lot of good and been very successful in her life. A great poster child for a capitalism success story, and a success of a relatively free Western Society (compared to Saudi Arabia, Russia, North Korea, UAE, Iran or other similar oppressive/regressive societies).
HoverBoarder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 03:47 PM   #74
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It's not the world that's got a bit weird, it's that some of us have got a bit old.
* p0lka agrees whilst attempting to answer with a fax.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 04:24 PM   #75
Wolfman
Chief Solipsistic
Autosycophant

Seriously

What sort of **** hole hands out a word document on how to deal with them?
Ummmm...tons of people. Hell, I do it.

I do a fair bit of public speaking. I am sometimes interviewed. There are a variety of questions and issues that will fairly predictably arise, so I prepare a document that covers that information in advance of meeting. It not only saves tons of time, but is considered quite professional.

Most other people in similar situations will do much the same thing.

The fact that you are apparently ignorant of this practice, and actually feel the need to criticize it, speaks much more to your character than anyone else.

After all...to edit your question above...

...What sort of **** hole bothers to link to a post and comment on it critically, when they obviously don't even understand what's happening?
Old 12th February 2020, 05:26 PM   #76
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Ummmm...tons of people. Hell, I do it.

I do a fair bit of public speaking. I am sometimes interviewed. There are a variety of questions and issues that will fairly predictably arise, so I prepare a document that covers that information in advance of meeting. It not only saves tons of time, but is considered quite professional.

Most other people in similar situations will do much the same thing.

The fact that you are apparently ignorant of this practice, and actually feel the need to criticize it, speaks much more to your character than anyone else.

After all...to edit your question above...

...What sort of **** hole bothers to link to a post and comment on it critically, when they obviously don't even understand what's happening?
Do your documents instruct people on how to talk to you?
Old 12th February 2020, 06:01 PM   #77
autumn1971
Illuminator

Probably the most valid post on this thread.

Fair point. Still a weird thing to do by her but fair point
Usually it would be an assistant making a last-second call with all kinds of hurried instructions.
Tea’s way seems a lot better for all parties
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 06:32 PM   #78
welshdean
BESTEST RUGBY TEAM
        IN THE
NORTHEN HEMISPHERE

I just don't know what to think anymore. When I made appointments in the past (10 years or so) the onus was on me to find out about my host before I attended. To have some sort of crib sheet handed to me would have me on the back-foot.
At first sight it smacks of pomposity and self indulgence. When looked at more closely it appears to be pomposity and self indulgence on an immense scale. To be fair, I'd have walked out. Too busy to dance to silly tunes and pander to overblown egos.
Did she hand out these sheets when she was an intern or did she start when she reached the top of the bean bag infested looney tree that is Google?
I've met loads like her over the years, egocentrics - every last one of them, hers is just a variation on the old 'pissing up the wall' game.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2020, 07:26 PM   #79
Wolfman
Chief Solipsistic
Autosycophant

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Do your documents instruct people on how to talk to you?
Mine don't, because I don't belong to a particular group or minority where there are issues in how I'm addressed. I'm a heterosexual white male. There is pretty much zero confusion about how I should be addressed or treated.

However, I know of quite a few people from various ethnic minorities and LGBTQ who will do so. For example, "My preferred pronouns are they/their" or "My preferred pronouns are ze/zir". If they have changed their name (for personal reasons, or because of a gender transition), they may also specify what name should be used to refer to them. And if their name may be difficult to pronounce, they may also specify the proper pronunciation.

And that's just for regular, normal folks like me.

For people who are more famous or higher status, they may have all sorts of additional requirements...what types of food to provide, what topics can or cannot be discussed, and all sorts of other stuff all the way to specifying that they need a bowl of M&Ms, with all the red ones removed.

Some of these requirements may seem silly or pointless...

...but again, it is hardly uncommon.
Old 12th February 2020, 07:32 PM   #80
Wolfman
Chief Solipsistic
Autosycophant

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
I just don't know what to think anymore. When I made appointments in the past (10 years or so) the onus was on me to find out about my host before I attended. To have some sort of crib sheet handed to me would have me on the back-foot.
At first sight it smacks of pomposity and self indulgence. When looked at more closely it appears to be pomposity and self indulgence on an immense scale. To be fair, I'd have walked out. Too busy to dance to silly tunes and pander to overblown egos.
Did she hand out these sheets when she was an intern or did she start when she reached the top of the bean bag infested looney tree that is Google?
I've met loads like her over the years, egocentrics - every last one of them, hers is just a variation on the old 'pissing up the wall' game.
I do not understand at all why you'd see this as indicating "pomposity and self-indulgence on an immense scale"?

I've been approached as a speaker for conferences, I've been approached to be interviewed by various media. Yes, they usually do make an effort to ask me questions and find out info about me...but if I'm able to anticipate the most common questions, and send them that info in advance, it saves both sides a lot of time, and in my experience is considered quite professional.

It seems rather weird to me that you'd consider someone putting together a document which saves time on introductory questions and background, and proceed more directly to more specific/targeted questions...to consider this to somehow be weird, or arrogant, or self-indulgent?

Most professionals that I know who are regularly interviewed, or invited to speak at conferences, will have some sort of background sheet that is routinely given to everyone. The specific info may vary...but it's very much a standard practice, and one that's considered professional, not "self-indulgence on an immense scale."

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events