ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th February 2020, 09:40 AM   #121
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
That's not what it said. It said that things like Rye Bread and Meatballs were created elsewhere and then came to Scandinavia where they were adopted and modified into a Scandinavia version that then became uniquely Scandinavian.

It was pointing out that Scandinavians have always been travelers who have gone out into the world and brought back ideas and then made those ideas Scandinavian.
Rolling ground beef into a ball doesn't sound like a very exceptional and noteworthy "invention" anyways. It's like proclaiming that you are the inventor of bread or something.
Old 13th February 2020, 09:44 AM   #122
Vixen
Suspended

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Mission accomplished I guess.

They got people to share the ad and discuss it on social media.

Also, a textbook example of poisoning the well. Preemptively accuse anyone who might not like the ad of being a Nazi. Can't possibly be any legitimate basis for criticism, right? Like maybe the fact that it's an airline and airplanes contribute to global warming. Let's change the topic to something else, right? So we don't have to confront what we're doing to the planet.
^ This. Good adverts that stick in the mind are those that are provocative: they have an irritating jingle, noise or are amusing (like the giant poodle in the Flash advert backing to the Queen tune of the same name). The fact SAS marketing got an African-looking guy (who might well be Scandinavian) to say he had Viking ancestors.

So it worked, as everyone is talking about it Reminds me of the Benetton adverts or Dove.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 09:50 AM   #123
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Whoever started this thread must have been pretty upset by this ad
Old 13th February 2020, 10:07 AM   #124
Vixen
Suspended

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Nothing is Skandanavian?

Okay, what about:

1. Lego?
2. dynamite?
3. Jean Sibelius?
4. Knut Hamsun?
Sibelius is Finnish.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 10:15 AM   #125
Vixen
Suspended

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
One thing about the ad that's inaccurate is that the democracy found in ancient Greece has little to do with the development of democracy in the Scandinavian countries.

If anything the closest ancient parallel would be that found in Rome.
I always thought the word 'land' came from the Swedish and also trial by your fellow citizens (twelve is usually the number). People in a community would meet in a clearing and decide matters between them this way. When Danelaw came to the UK it was adopted there. So I'd dispute the Swedes 'copied the Greeks'.
Old 13th February 2020, 10:25 AM   #126
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Ah another thread that boils down to "how dare you call all white supremacists Nazis! You must recognize the diversity of hate with in these communities".
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 11:02 AM   #127
StillSleepy
Scholar

Scandinavia gave us enormous Scandinavian women.
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 11:17 AM   #128
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
In your dreams, Baylor!

I never heard about the series Bella and the Bulldogs till now, but then I never watch Nickelodeon. Is it good, Baylor?!
It's very clear that went over your head.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 11:22 AM   #129
Baylor
Philosopher

It is an ad to make people choose to fly with the SAS.
When you're "anti-capitalist" but have the exact same politics as every multinational conglomerates.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 11:36 AM   #130
Baylor
Philosopher

Nothing is Skandanavian?

Okay, what about:

1. Lego?
2. dynamite?
3. Jean Sibelius?
4. Knut Hamsun?
Avicii. Though he was burdened with guilt from breathing oxygen that could've been breathed by a Somali so he topped himself.

He was a typical Scandinavian.
Old 13th February 2020, 11:43 AM   #131
carlitos
"más divertido"

Super edgy.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 11:48 AM   #132
Baylor
Philosopher

I'm heartbroken
Old 13th February 2020, 11:59 AM   #133
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
You forgot the Swedish Chef.
Well, the Swedish Chef sounds Norwegian to the Swedish, and he may have been based on an American chef....

https://slate.com/culture/2012/08/sw...norwegian.html

Furthermore, in the German dubbed version of The Muppets, he's a Dane!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedis...#International
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 03:41 PM   #134
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Sibelius is Finnish.
Isn't Finland part of Scandinavia?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 05:03 PM   #135
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

No, it's rightfully part of Russia, comradde!

Ya know what's as revealing as the reaction by certain people to the ad? The reaction of certain forum members to this thread!
Old 13th February 2020, 05:14 PM   #136
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

Ya know what's as revealing as the reaction by certain people to the ad? The reaction of certain forum members to this thread!
Do tell
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 06:29 PM   #137
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Nothing is Skandanavian?

Okay, what about:

1. Lego?
2. dynamite?
3. Jean Sibelius?
4. Knut Hamsun?
5. Most of Minnesota?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 06:33 PM   #138
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It gets complicated.
Finland is geographically part of Scandanavia, but the Finns, ethnically, are totally different from the other Scandinavian nations. Language..except for a few borrowed words,is totally different from Norweigian, Swedish, Danish, etc.
And they have the world's prettiest Prime Minister.....

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 13th February 2020 at 06:34 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 06:36 PM   #139
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
You really have ZERO understanding of what Nazis are don't you.

The extermination of Jews is only a small part of Nazi ideology; it was a means to an end, not an end in itself. Nazism was based on Völkisch Nationalism. If you want to learn about it, you can read about it here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%B6lkisch_movement

I suggest you take the opportunity read it and learn something so that you stop embarrassing yourself and tarring the rest of us kiwis with your brush.
I think you are like me in that we both get frustrated at the level of ignorance of History we see nowdays.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th February 2020, 06:37 PM   #140
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The ad is clever but from a advertising point of view it might be too clever; it does not connect all that well with the product it's supposed to be selling.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th February 2020, 07:14 PM   #141
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

The company that made the ad recieved a bomb thread earlier today.
Old 13th February 2020, 07:22 PM   #142
angrysoba
Philosophile

Couldn't you think of a Scandinavian writer who was not a Nazi?
That was deliberate. I was also going to choose the Finnish swastika as well, but thought it would be too obvious.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 07:44 PM   #143
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
A bomb thread? Was it this one?

Ok, sorry.
Old 13th February 2020, 08:10 PM   #144
Arcade22
Philosopher

No, Finland is not a part of Scandinavia. Finland is a Nordic country, which is a broader notion.

Scandinavia is limited to Denmark, Sweden and Norway. The Nordic countries are those, plus the countries that have been heavily influenced and controlled by the Scandinavian ones. Finland was an integral part of Sweden for centuries, so it qualifies as a Nordic country.
Old 13th February 2020, 08:19 PM   #145
angrysoba
Philosophile

No, Finland is not a part of Scandinavia. Finland is a Nordic country, which is a broader notion.

Scandinavia is limited to Denmark, Sweden and Norway. The Nordic countries are those, plus the countries that have been heavily influenced and controlled by the Scandinavian ones. Finland was an integral part of Sweden for centuries, so it qualifies as a Nordic country.
Nah! It has one of those crosses on its flag so Finland and Iceland are Skandanavian.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 09:56 PM   #146
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

This might help.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Then again, it might not.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 11:00 PM   #147
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think you are like me in that we both get frustrated at the level of ignorance of History we see nowdays.
Yes, the ignorance of history sometimes displayed on this forum does frustrate me, but even worse, when those who are ignorant of history come on here and pontificate on it, and then have the cheek to argue against established historical fact when it is clear that they have no clue whatsoever, well that really pisses me off!

Last edited by smartcooky; 13th February 2020 at 11:02 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2020, 11:05 PM   #148
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

It gets complicated.
Finland is geographically part of Scandanavia, but the Finns, ethnically, are totally different from the other Scandinavian nations. Language..except for a few borrowed words,is totally different from Norweigian, Swedish, Danish, etc.
And they have the world's prettiest Prime Minister.....
Finns are ethnically more closely related to Estonians than they are to the Swedish.
Old 14th February 2020, 01:28 AM   #149
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
A bomb thread? Was it this one?

Ok, sorry.
Old 14th February 2020, 06:28 AM   #150
dann
Philosopher

Geographically, the Scandinavian peninsula consists of Norway, Sweden and a small part of Finland. Denmark is not a geographical part of Scandinavia.
Culturally, you could say that the Nordic Baltic Eight (Wikipedia) are a kind of sister nations. Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania were Danish for a couple of centuries in the Middle Ages, before they became Swedish and then Russian.
Iceland (Wikipedia) was liberated from the Danish hegemony in WW2.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 14th February 2020 at 06:29 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 11:56 AM   #151
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Finns are ethnically more closely related to Estonians than they are to the Swedish.
And both Finns and Estonians seem to have split off from the Magyars (who became the Hungarians) at some point from simarliteis in the languages.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th February 2020, 11:58 AM   #152
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Seems to me to me that the same group of posters who deny the existence of racism, no matter the evidence, in the "...while Black" threads have arrived here to deny any Nazis/Right Wingers were upset by the ad.

Apparently they are so convinced that such people and motivations do not exist that they apply levels of "skepticism" that would similarly deny that there is evidence of gravity. How could such folks exist? Inconceivable! to quote "The Princess Bride.
Mostly I just think dann's idea that only Nazis could not like this ad is full of crap.

That, and the usual "nazis" equivocation.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 04:45 PM   #153
dann
Philosopher

Why Don’t Racists Want You to See This Airline’s Ad? (Fodor’s, Feb. 12, 2020)
Bomb Alert in Copenhagen over Controversial SAS Ad Campaign (Bloomberg, Feb.13, 2020)
’What is truly Scandinavia? Nothing’ – Airline clarifies ad after far-right criticism (The Guardian, Feb. 13, 2020)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 04:53 PM   #154
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Mostly I just think [hilitie]dann's idea that only Nazis could not like this ad is full of crap[/hilite].

That, and the usual "nazis" equivocation.

Welcome back to theprestige and his usual equivocation.
Now that it's become obvious to everybody that Nazis were behind the campaign against the SAS ad, he feels the need to come up with a new strawman in defense of his initial denial. I wish he would tell us where I claimed that only Nazis didn't like the ad unlike other racists and anti-immigration idiots who were fine with it.
At least he makes it pretty obvious whose ideas are full of it.
Old 14th February 2020, 05:00 PM   #155
angrysoba
Philosophile

And both Finns and Estonians seem to have split off from the Magyars (who became the Hungarians) at some point from simarliteis in the languages.
No, the Magyars are the Hungarians. It’s the Hungarian word for the Hungarians.

The language family that includes Finnish, Estonian and Hungarian is the Uralic language family.

Old 14th February 2020, 05:01 PM   #156
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Maybe they should stop advertising their commitment to change the global climate for the worse.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 05:02 PM   #157
Arcade22
Philosopher

Geographically, the Scandinavian peninsula consists of Norway, Sweden and a small part of Finland. Denmark is not a geographical part of Scandinavia.
Lets see what wikipedia says:
Quote:
Scandinavia (/ˌskćndɪˈneɪviə/ SKAN-dih-NAY-vee-ə) is a region in Northern Europe, with strong historical, cultural, and linguistic ties. The term Scandinavia in local usage covers the three kingdoms of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden. The majority national languages of these three belong to the Scandinavian dialect continuum, and are mutually intelligible North Germanic languages. In English usage, Scandinavia also sometimes refers more narrowly to the Scandinavian Peninsula, or more broadly so as to include Finland, the Faroe Islands, and Iceland.

The broader definition is similar to what are locally called the Nordic countries, which also include the remote Norwegian islands of Svalbard and Jan Mayen and Greenland, a constituent country within the Kingdom of Denmark.
I have never heard anyone exclude Denmark from Scandinavia in its common sense. Geographically speaking "The Scandinavian Peninsula" is a separate notion from Scandinavia, because it is geologically distinct from Denmark as well as physically separated from Sweden by Öresund.

Last edited by Arcade22; 14th February 2020 at 05:07 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 05:24 PM   #158
StillSleepy
Scholar

Meanwhile, in the greatest Scandinavian advertising campaign of all time Greenland...
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2020, 07:24 PM   #159
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I know these people - they march in the streets carrying cheap wicker tiki torches they bought at Walmart for $3.99, and chant things like "The Jews will not replace us."
But we dasn't call them Nazis! They're not actually signed up with the party after all.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2020, 01:05 AM   #160
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Maybe they should stop advertising their commitment to change the global climate for the worse.

I guess it's logical to become concerned with global warming when an airline runs an ad that upsets the Nazis.
I guess that's why Nazis didn't like the ad in the first place: They worry so much about global warming that they'll be attacking all airline ads from now on.

Last edited by dann; 15th February 2020 at 01:10 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events