ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , donald trump , presidential candidates , racism charges , Trump supporters

Old 1st April 2016, 08:45 AM   #241
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
And if, as is claimed, she did...why?

Also, if a group, including myself, is "fighting for our lives," what would be the incentive to "stand down?"
"Hey Hills - I'm getting shot at, is it OK if I shoot back"

"No!! Stand down!"

rriigghhhttttt
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2016, 09:07 AM   #242
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Old 1st April 2016, 09:11 AM   #243
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Thank you for this highly informative, insightful, and witty post, shedding light on the topic at hand. The politics section is sometime more noise than signal, but fortunately there are high information posters, e.g. you, to help balance things out.
Old 1st April 2016, 10:52 AM   #244
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Hillary called them and told them to stand down, directly?
No he is relying on a general instruction not specifically from Hillary and not shown to be originated with her. Due to insufficient information and lack of time for major support to get from where it was to that location.

Thanks NPR for the excellent coverage!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2016, 10:56 AM   #245
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
And if, as is claimed, she did...why?

Also, if a group, including myself, is "fighting for our lives," what would be the incentive to "stand down?"
They were not, they had to drive (against orders) to the diplomatic compound and were too late to actually do anything truly useful* or life saving.

*IIRC they did get to kill some late leavers of the attack, but otherwise the damage had already stopped.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2016, 01:21 PM   #246
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by COLONEL View Post
...and were told by Clinton to stand down.

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
If this isn't steaming BS, I'll eat some steaming BS.

More likely, you and/or your friend are parroting (steaming) BS from the right wing echo chamber that you swallowed hook, line and sinker.
Colonel, can you cite a page number in the book or offer an interview transcript or provide any other citation quoting your friend that actually says that he used the words "told by Hillary to stand down"?
Old 4th April 2016, 03:48 AM   #247
COLONEL
Sniper of the Galactic Universe

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Colonel, can you cite a page number in the book or offer an interview transcript or provide any other citation quoting your friend that actually says that he used the words "told by Hillary to stand down"?
It's not in his book, he said it while talking to us,while we were sitting around BSing one afternoon.

Major Ashley-Pitt: In our experience, Americans are uncouth misfits who should be run out of their own barbaric country. Matthew Quigley: Well, Lieutenant...
Major Ashley-Pitt: Major. Matthew Quigley: Major. We already run the misfits outta our country. We sent 'em back to England.
COLONEL is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2016, 03:54 AM   #248
COLONEL

If this isn't steaming BS, I'll eat some steaming BS.

More likely, you and/or your friend are parroting (steaming) BS from the right wing echo chamber that you swallowed hook, line and sinker.

link
My friend Kris was there and has no reason to be telling me BS stories. His name is Kris Paronto google his name. I tend to believe him over some lying politicians. Politicians do lie! They lied to us while we were in Viet Nam too!

Major Ashley-Pitt: In our experience, Americans are uncouth misfits who should be run out of their own barbaric country. Matthew Quigley: Well, Lieutenant...
Major Ashley-Pitt: Major. Matthew Quigley: Major. We already run the misfits outta our country. We sent 'em back to England.
COLONEL is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2016, 04:58 AM   #249
NoahFence
Banned

Off Topic anyway.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2016, 05:03 AM   #250
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

It's not in his book, he said it while talking to us,while we were sitting around BSing one afternoon.
He's apparently changed his story then:

Quote:
Paronto said he doesn’t necessarily believe the “stand down” he heard was nefarious or a command from on high from CIA leaders at headquarters. Rather, he said, the CIA supervisor or base chief was “very risk adverse” and probably did not know what to do.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...-debate-217622

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2016, 07:21 AM   #251
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

My friend Kris was there and has no reason to be telling me BS stories. His name is Kris Paronto google his name. I tend to believe him over some lying politicians. Politicians do lie! They lied to us while we were in Viet Nam too!
Are you asking readers to believe that Hillary Clinton personally called Paronto and told him to stand down?

This impresses me as blatant, 200 proof, unadulterated, fortified, steaming BS.
Old 4th April 2016, 07:26 AM   #252
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Your friends list you too.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2016, 07:29 AM   #253
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
He's apparently changed his story then:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...-debate-217622
Hilarious(?).
Old 4th April 2016, 08:07 AM   #254
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Are you asking readers to believe that Hillary Clinton personally called Paronto and told him to stand down?

This impresses me as blatant, 200 proof, unadulterated, fortified, steaming BS.
Are you joking? This is Hillary Clinton we're talking about. No wretchedness is beyond her wrinkled wreach*.

Why, even now, she is no doubt on the phone, putting a stop to the invention of the time machine so that nobody can kill baby Hitler.

*S intentionally IC.

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 4th April 2016 at 08:14 AM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2016, 08:11 AM   #255
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Well, at least you got this part right.
Old 4th April 2016, 08:17 AM   #256
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

My friend Kris was there and has no reason to be telling me BS stories.
So, just because one is "sitting around BS-ing" doesn't mean that one is actually "telling BS stories."

But that is not the important point. The important point is WTF ? Your friend knows for a fact that Hillary, herself, issued the stand-down order and he didn't put it in the book?!? Why would he not put that in the book? Isn't that the single most important fact in the entire story?! Doesn't leaving that fact out completely change the significance and meaning of the story? Wouldn't every single voter in the United States want to know that fact before they cast their vote? Wouldn't all six of the congressional investigative committees want to know that fact?!?!?

The leg, she is being pulled.

Last edited by Ladewig; 4th April 2016 at 08:30 AM.
Ladewig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2016, 11:10 AM   #257
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

What happens to the 'Free Hugs Project' guy at Trump rallies is shameful, and indicative of the mindset of a great many of Trump's supporters. And yes, he went to a Bernie rally and didn't get that reception, so it isn't just a politics thing.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2016, 05:28 PM   #258
fuelair
Banned

My friend Kris was there and has no reason to be telling me BS stories. His name is Kris Paronto google his name. I tend to believe him over some lying politicians. Politicians do lie! They lied to us* while we were in Viet Nam too!
Of the red marked there is no doubt that that top crew of republickers (before republicker was a word!! and a curse word at that) lied and made very wrong policies/plans and actions based from their lies!!!!!!!!!!

*Yes, I was at 9th Med Lab next to 24th Evac Hospital and, down but across the main street where the LBJ was located. A 180 would point me at the BOQ.
Old 8th April 2016, 09:38 AM   #259
COLONEL

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
*Yes, I was at 9th Med Lab next to 24th Evac Hospital and, down but across the main street where the LBJ was located. A 180 would point me at the BOQ.
Were you a medic or a Dr. ? WELCOME HOME

Last edited by COLONEL; 8th April 2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 8th April 2016, 09:48 AM   #260
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Have you reconsidered your claim in light of the evidence presented?
Old 9th April 2016, 08:02 PM   #261
dropzone
Master Poster

Dude, he's/she's been home for forty-some years. The time for shallow, jingoistic "WELCOME HOMEs" has passed, though it hasn't for "Thanks for your service," or "That musta sucked," or "Lemme buy ya a drink."
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2016, 08:26 PM   #262
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

...where the LBJ was located...
Long Binh Jail? Haven't heard or thought about that place in...quite a while.
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2016, 03:12 AM   #263
COLONEL

Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Dude, he's/she's been home for forty-some years. The time for shallow, jingoistic "WELCOME HOMEs" has passed, though it hasn't for "Thanks for your service," or "That musta sucked," or "Lemme buy ya a drink."
Wrong! when ever I meet some one that was in Nam or in the sand box wars I still say welcome home.

Old 11th April 2016, 04:57 PM   #264
fuelair
Banned

Lab Tech - we did path (my lab - ran a microtome, made slides). Mostly worked with 24th Evac but got samples from all over. Our biggest cases were Creighton Abrams mole and the murder of a Vietnamese prostitute.
Old 11th April 2016, 05:11 PM   #265
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Long Binh Jail? Haven't heard or thought about that place in...quite a while.
Yep , the jail. The MPs had a club that was bigger with outdoor entertainment for a lot of people. I have a very large picture (played in our photo lab) of one of the Phillipines ladies performing while an MP was angling for a look under her dress. I got it for the expression on her face: perfect loathing it was. But then alsoa number of a young lady who worked at 9ML as a secretary. Really nice and she worked for the Colonel (old guy) . He had gotten a previous young lady pregnant and another officer did an abortion for her. Same officer let the Colonel know why it would be very bad for him if it happened to the young lady I note here. Somehow word of a plan in development got to him and he did as a good officer there would - kept EVERYONE out of trouble.
Old 11th April 2016, 05:13 PM   #266
fuelair
Banned

Also, I got my Army Commendation Medal for helping improve morale in our unit - for providing interesting films from Sweden from time to time. Plus older ones from the US a Pfc of my acquaintance had. Always loved morale building!!!!!
Old 11th April 2016, 05:15 PM   #267
fuelair
Banned

I am a he for those who missed that!!!
Old 13th April 2016, 03:07 PM   #268
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

So, thank you for your service. And, If we meet, I'll certainly buy you a beer. Oh, and throw in a welcome home. But this doesn't mean I have to like it when you go all red behind the eyes and graphically describe the violence you would like listed upon people who cross your lines. Cool?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2016, 10:56 PM   #269
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

God, I want to see the day when once again the only time I hear the anem Benghazi are in books about the North African Campagn in World War 2......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2016, 01:16 PM   #270
zorro99
Muse

Liar
Old 9th May 2016, 02:38 PM   #271
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Speaking of Trump Supporters:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...n-press-222935

Read the comments section. Everytime you think a Trump supporter can reach a new level of ignorance and stupidity, they surprise you. The level of total ignorance shown about the rest of the world is incredible...and scary.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2016, 03:10 PM   #272
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Oh noes, supporters!!11!!!!! Anecdotal information used for partisan purposes!!11!!!!!!!

micro agressions!!!!!!!!!

It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine.
Old 17th May 2016, 12:49 PM   #273
Maya22
Graduate Poster

Not typical, but still Trump supporters

Trump-inspired brothers plead guilty to beating homeless immigrant
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-in...inkId=24603150
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.
Maya22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2016, 01:08 PM   #274
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Maya22 View Post

This is the same incident that started the thread actually.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2016, 10:19 AM   #275
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by Maya22 View Post

Typical Bostonians.
Old 14th June 2016, 08:18 PM   #276
Maya22
Graduate Poster

Not typical, but still Trump supporters.
Quite scary!

@Ricky_Vaughn99

@Zorost88

Stop the planet, I want to get off!
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.
Maya22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2016, 08:20 PM   #277
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Live tweeted rally.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2016, 05:28 AM   #278
Shadowdweller
Muse

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Oh noes, supporters!!11!!!!! Anecdotal information used for partisan purposes!!11!!!!!!!

micro agressions!!!!!!!!!

It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine.
Yeah, might want to look at your own posting history before pointing fingers in this manner.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2016, 10:34 AM   #279
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The problem with people who are automatic contrairians is their shtick gets very old very fast,and soons loses whatever entertainment value it had,and ends up with just the stupidity.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th June 2016, 10:38 AM   #280
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Then you have the Hipster Trump Supporters.
They support Trump because they see him as "anti establishment" and "sticking it to the man" and will support any idiot who comes off as "Anti Status Quo". They want to tear down "The Establishment" and don't care about the damage done or what will take it's place.They want to burn down the house to get rid of a couple of mice.
I think the two most vocal Trump supporters we have here fall into that category.One of them just posted a post about "Hot Babes Who Support Trump".
The sad is they thing they are so cool and edgy.

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics