ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump controversies

Old 18th November 2019, 10:16 AM   #41
Donal
Illuminator

That's what scares me the most about after the 2020 election. There are still a ton of bench spots to fill and I can almost guarantee Alito or Thomas will announce their retirement (yes, I know what Thomas has said. I refuse to take any of them at their word).

If Stupid loses, him and McConnell will fast track all of those spots to any lackey that comes by. Seriously, McConnell will keep the Senate in session until 5 minutes before the new class is sworn in.

If he wins, they will do the same, just at a slower pace.
Old 18th November 2019, 10:45 AM   #42
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
That's what scares me the most about after the 2020 election. There are still a ton of bench spots to fill and I can almost guarantee Alito or Thomas will announce their retirement (yes, I know what Thomas has said. I refuse to take any of them at their word).

If Stupid loses, him and McConnell will fast track all of those spots to any lackey that comes by. Seriously, McConnell will keep the Senate in session until 5 minutes before the new class is sworn in.

If he wins, they will do the same, just at a slower pace.
If they lose the presidency and not the senate I can see this being that ugly because there isn't a lot of recourse.

If they lose both I don't know. They are basically begging for the Senate to ditch the filibuster and spend the next four years doing nothing but expanding the judiciary and packing the courts. That might actually get a reaction.

It won't because establishment Democrats are mostly delusional morons who think the answer to bad faith opposition is to appeal to shared values, like so many frogs transporting so many scorpions. There is no offense they won't respond to with offers of reconciliation.

I can't wait for Biden to pardon Trump in order to put all this behind us and start a new age of bipartisanship or something. I haven't been so sure of something happening in my life.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2019, 12:39 PM   #43
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
If they lose the presidency and not the senate I can see this being that ugly because there isn't a lot of recourse.

If they lose both I don't know. They are basically begging for the Senate to ditch the filibuster and spend the next four years doing nothing but expanding the judiciary and packing the courts. That might actually get a reaction.
FDR started doing that and the Republicans got their act together and cooperated.

Quote:
It won't because establishment Democrats are mostly delusional morons who think the answer to bad faith opposition is to appeal to shared values, like so many frogs transporting so many scorpions. There is no offense they won't respond to with offers of reconciliation.

I can't wait for Biden to pardon Trump in order to put all this behind us and start a new age of bipartisanship or something. I haven't been so sure of something happening in my life.
Every time I hear Biden speak about working with Republicans, I want to bang my head off the desk. And Obama has become just as bad with that. How can either of them really believe that this current incarnation of Republicans can be dealt with? Did they both sleep through those 8 years?

Last edited by Donal; 18th November 2019 at 12:42 PM.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2019, 01:12 PM   #44
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Who wouldn't fall in love with Cuddly Kim Jong Un?
Trump saw that bad haircut, and knew he'd found a kindred spirit.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2019, 01:17 PM   #45
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
FDR started doing that and the Republicans got their act together and cooperated.

Every time I hear Biden speak about working with Republicans, I want to bang my head off the desk. And Obama has become just as bad with that. How can either of them really believe that this current incarnation of Republicans can be dealt with? Did they both sleep through those 8 years?
I have serious doubts about the desirability of packing the Supreme Court, not because I think there is any realistic chance of working with Republicans, but because once you start down that road, I'm afraid it won't stop until there are several hundred (or several thousand) justices on the Supreme Court.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2019, 01:34 PM   #46
Donal
Illuminator

Ya, we wouldn't want someone to abuse or make a mockery of the Supreme Court.
Old 18th November 2019, 01:38 PM   #47
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Maybe we could have a certain number of judges from each state, based on population? and maybe another set with 2 judges per state? Put them in two separate courts...

Old 18th November 2019, 03:04 PM   #48
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I have serious doubts about the desirability of packing the Supreme Court, not because I think there is any realistic chance of working with Republicans, but because once you start down that road, I'm afraid it won't stop until there are several hundred (or several thousand) justices on the Supreme Court.
It isn't a bad thing. It was always a bad sign that the federal judiciary was this important. The US constitution is a crappy system with a ton of holes and exploits that was being held together by duct tape and a casual blind eye to the abhorrent state and local racist politics in the south.

The federal government only exists as a functional national government because those judges decided to expand the scope of the commerce clause beyond what was sane much less reasonable. Rather than be forced to directly rework the constitution to address how new advances in communication and transportation made federalism unworkable, we just skated by and gave the feds power over anything that can be said with a straight face to do with money and left the massive anti-democratic aspects of the document in place.

The bill is due.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 01:21 PM   #49
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Several months ago, the White House asked the Pentagon to produce a report that showed the total US cost of troops station in South Korea. This week the White House asked the Pentagon to produce a report that showed the total costs were $5 billion dollars.

Maybe the 2020 campaign slogan can be “Facts, shmacts.”
In Communist Russia the sun is always shining; never rains.
Old 22nd November 2019, 03:02 PM   #50
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Actually USA dictatorship is looking more likely doesn't it? I wonder if El Presidente would accept a loss at the polls?

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 22nd November 2019 at 03:04 PM.
MinnesotaBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2019, 03:54 PM   #51
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MinnesotaBrant View Post
Actually USA dictatorship is looking more likely doesn't it? I wonder if El Presidente would accept a loss at the polls?
Which is why I keep, despite a lot of flak I get here for saying it, that if value living in a free country, it might be advisible to get a rifle and learn how to use it.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2019, 05:15 PM   #52
Cain
Straussian

If he loses, then it's probably because bitter Dimocrats AGAIN conspired with Ukraine. All of the Dirty D nominees should be investigated. Can anyone think of a "non-profit" more corrupt than the pay-to-play Clinton Foundation? And then you have Quid Pro Joe blatantly getting his crackhead son a nice sinecured job he'd never be able to otherwise earn. Can't drain the swamp fast enough.
Old 22nd November 2019, 06:27 PM   #53
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

There is not the slightest chance he will accept a loss at the polls. It'll be illegal turtles voting all the way down.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Which is why I keep, despite a lot of flak I get here for saying it, that if value living in a free country, it might be advisible to get a rifle and learn how to use it.
For me, I'm thinking a boat. Canada is only 30 miles away.
Old 22nd November 2019, 06:40 PM   #54
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

And do what with it? If the President refuses to give up office, then Law Enforcement and the Military have to decide if they stand beside him or against him. What use will your rifle be in either case?

If they move against him then they have superior weapons and training to do so, and if they stand with him, then your rifle is useless against their might.

The best way to prevent a President becoming a dictator is not to have a rifle, but to make sure that the Military is loyal to the Constitution, and not the man who holds the office.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 22nd November 2019 at 06:41 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2019, 07:18 PM   #55
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post

The best way to prevent a President becoming a dictator is not to have a rifle, but to make sure that the Military is loyal to the Constitution, and not the man who holds the office.
Sadly, I have little faith in that.
Old 22nd November 2019, 08:09 PM   #56
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
And do what with it? If the President refuses to give up office, then Law Enforcement and the Military have to decide if they stand beside him or against him. What use will your rifle be in either case?

If they move against him then they have superior weapons and training to do so, and if they stand with him, then your rifle is useless against their might.

I agree. I have no doubt that if Trump tried that crap, the military would stand against him and on the side of the Constitution.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2019, 08:39 PM   #57
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

It's happened in other countries where a democratically elected leader was overthrown by a the losing side. Especially a side who cannot imagine to have anything in common with the winning side. They are controlling the news with propaganda as well. They are also working it so they can win elections despite not having a majority. I don't even think the elect are required to side with the voters wishes anyway.

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 22nd November 2019 at 08:48 PM.
MinnesotaBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2019, 09:56 PM   #58
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump's presidency has overwhelmingly been characterized by competent people around him ignoring him if they see him do something truly illegal or stupid.
If Trump doesn't accept the election results, he'll get kicked out of the White House anyway.
Old 23rd November 2019, 07:42 AM   #59
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

by who? Barr. The Supreme court? The Senate?

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 23rd November 2019 at 07:44 AM.
Old 23rd November 2019, 08:24 AM   #60
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

by who? Barr. The Supreme court? The Senate?
by the incoming administration: US agencies will simply stop treating Trump as POTUS.
Old 23rd November 2019, 01:27 PM   #61
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Yeah but what if they don’t step down and they got a lot of people with guns shooting protestors. Or a senate that doesn’t recognize the new administration. This has been a long time coming. Only thing that remains to be seen is if the Jews are in or out in the end. I am guessing out

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 23rd November 2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 23rd November 2019, 04:09 PM   #62
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Yeah but what if they don’t step down and they got a lot of people with guns shooting protestors. Or a senate that doesn’t recognize the new administration. This has been a long time coming. Only thing that remains to be seen is if the Jews are in or out in the end. I am guessing out
The military and police would stop in. This isn't a third world country where the military and/or police have a long history of controlling the government and/or having a general as president with the army loyal to him personally. Support for Trump is about evenly split among active duty service members:

Quote:
Almost 60 percent of service members in that survey believed the military was in stronger shape with Trump as its leader than under President Barack Obama. But the overall assessment of Trump as president was evenly split, with 44 percent of troops holding a favorable view of his work and 43 percent expressing a negative opinion.
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/p...national-poll/

When you take into account that it's highly unlikely even those military members who approve of Trump would forswear their oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic" or the police who swear an oath to uphold the laws, a military/police support of an ousted Trump just isn't going to happen.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2019, 08:06 PM   #63
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Can you believe the Senate or Supreme court we have will ever buy that? No way he will step down. Its going to be like Turkey in a couple of years around here. I don't think the President or his lawyer thinks the laws apply to him. The reason I say Jews is his his support comes from White nationalists and he has a history of betraying allies when he can get away with it

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 23rd November 2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old 24th November 2019, 07:14 PM   #64
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
by the incoming administration: US agencies will simply stop treating Trump as POTUS.
This is really the most likely and most elegant solution. Our government is hard-wired for a peaceful transition of power and that process takes on a life of its own. Trump and some of the cabinet might choose not to participate in a transition. Some of the transition might happen in booths at the Old Ebbitt Grill instead of agency conference rooms but the transition will happen. People tend to not fully grasp the concept of bureaucratic inertia. Once the transition juggernaut starts moving, it won't stop. In spite of what Trump and the Trumptrash may think, our institutions of government remain more powerful than the people with stewardship over them.
Old 25th November 2019, 03:59 AM   #65
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Bomb making skills are more useful to a guerrilla campaign. Rifle vs military drones are just a losing proposition, you need to run a good bombing campaign to get anywhere in the modern world.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2019, 04:00 AM   #66
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I agree. I have no doubt that if Trump tried that crap, the military would stand against him and on the side of the Constitution.
Probably, but it depends on building a narrative to support it and how many people believe it.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics