ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , marijuana legalization

Old 28th November 2019, 07:35 AM   #321
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
I wouldn't be at all surprised that smoking some MJ causes cancer, but from most of the articles I've read, the jury is still out. This has a lot to do with the fact that it's difficult to study something that was illegal for so long. Self-reporting isn't very reliable, many people who smoked weed also smoked tobacco, etc. I think, now, with it being legal in many places, the research will be much more sound over the next 10-15 years. And just for measure, while it would seem like a no-brainer that smoking ANYTHING could cause cancer, animal research suggests that some chemicals in marijuana work against tumor growth, which could explain why lung cancer isn’t showing up as often as scientists might expect in people who smoke it.

But yes, at the end of the day, I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that it can cause cancer. While you smoke less of it than you would tobacco, you also hold it in, and you usually smoke the "tarry" part as you don't let any go to waste. As I understand it, the tarry part (resin?) is more dangerous. Tobacco smokers usually throw out a cigarette before smoking this portion.
Breathing anything that isn't just air is probably some degree of bad for your health. The smoke from ordinary wood fireplaces, that smells so nice? Yeah, that's not good for you. Everything is bad for us, and even if we manage to avoid absolutely everything we still eventually implode or rot from within.
Old 28th November 2019, 07:55 AM   #322
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin'
That's what I said
The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand
Or, so I have read.
Those guys finally got the rights to all the music from the movie. Very recently too.
Old 28th November 2019, 08:55 AM   #323
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Breathing anything that isn't just air is probably some degree of bad for your health. The smoke from ordinary wood fireplaces, that smells so nice? Yeah, that's not good for you. Everything is bad for us, and even if we manage to avoid absolutely everything we still eventually implode or rot from within.
Except I don't stick my face in the fireplace and breathe in the smoke and hold it in as long as aI can.
Old 28th November 2019, 11:03 AM   #324
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Except I don't stick my face in the fireplace and breathe in the smoke and hold it in as long as aI can.
You don't? That's what everybody else does always all the time. It's what makes fireplaces romantic.

You don't actually have to argue with every remark, you know.
Old 28th November 2019, 11:22 AM   #325
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
However, if one is burning wood to keep warm, that's apt to be happening 12 or more hours per day, and that pollutes your air even with 'proper' venting. Without sticking one's face in the fireplace, I'll bet that's as bad or worse than smoking a joint.

Just saying. I don't offer this as a justification for smoking weed.

More and more weed is being eaten by the way.

Last edited by varwoche; 28th November 2019 at 11:23 AM.
varwoche is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 12:18 PM   #326
wasapi
Philosopher

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
However, if one is burning wood to keep warm, that's apt to be happening 12 or more hours per day, and that pollutes your air even with 'proper' venting. Without sticking one's face in the fireplace, I'll bet that's as bad or worse than smoking a joint.

Just saying. I don't offer this as a justification for smoking weed.

More and more weed is being eaten by the way.
Yes, ingesting the THC is much better then smoking. More effective in its benefits, and those benefits last longer. I would be on many strong pain meds without the pot, as well as blood pressure meds, that I am now able to eliminate.
Old 28th November 2019, 02:36 PM   #327
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
You shouldn't. There's no benefit, or so I've read.
This is true. There is absolutely no benefit to holding the smoke in, just like there wouldn't be with cigarettes. The bulk of the active chemical is soaked up by the lung tissue immediately.

It's like 720p to 1080p. Yeah, one is more but it's pretty much unnoticeable.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 06:14 AM   #328
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
It's like 720p to 1080p. Yeah, one is more but it's pretty much unnoticeable.
That's not true, by the way. Hell, I used to think you'd mostly not notice 360 to 1080, but I was wrong.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 02:49 PM   #329
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Mod Warning There seems to be a lot of bickering and bad-tempered exchanges in this thread. Please stop doing that; try to remain civil and polite no matter how much you disagree with your fellow posters.
Posted By:Agatha
Old 30th November 2019, 10:27 AM   #330
bobdroege7
Master Poster

I heard a guy got fired for saying it was the safest therapeutic substance known to man.

Bubbleheads may know what it means to 4.0 the third RP test, and I did it while stoned, had to have the test regraded to get back 2 points though, but I was stoned when I took it, stoned when I went to class, stoned when I studied, and was taught by a teacher who was also stoned.

Your lungs can clear a fair amount of smoke, so if you don't use too much, there won't be any harm from that.

I should have had depression diagnosed and treated much sooner, but I did self medicate a lot, and failing a drug test got me into treatment, which led me to a better life, less drinking and quitting the cigs.

I have to mention some negatives, the only time my long time doubles partner beat me in tennis was when I was stoned and he triple bageled me.

Also some fine motor skill tasks are no fun while stoned.

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics