ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th August 2016, 04:07 PM   #1
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Hillbilly Hillery has 30$ tee shirts!

Hi,

Based on this fact I am not sure she is even qualified to be president. I also don't like the fact that everybody is calling Trump crazy as that is a straw man argument that is really hard to break. I am not saying he pulled some crap, I don't know. Anyways, if you haven't figured out my point by now, I was just looking for some recognition for the fact that I coined the term, Hillbilly Hillary. Questions, comments, ridicule perhaps, anyone?

Thanks,

Brant

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 4th August 2016 at 04:08 PM.
MinnesotaBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 04:10 PM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Why do you Commies hate Free Enterprise?
Old 4th August 2016, 04:16 PM   #3
fuelair
Banned

With no viciousness intended, why, and why do you expect to be honored or even recognized for it. Nothing about Hillary should be linking her to Hillbilly except that both start with Hill. ?????????????????

Trump is , whether crazy or not, certainly incompetent, mean, nasty, vengeful for even the slightest disagreement, and completely stupid reolitics as it is done in a mostly rational country. The nutcases for certain disparate but evil purposes like him because he says out loud what they say while having circle jerks over the newest shotguns and pictures of dead non-white children.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 04:17 PM   #4
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MinnesotaBrant View Post
Hi,

Based on this fact I am not sure she is even qualified to be president. I also don't like the fact that everybody is calling Trump crazy as that is a straw man argument that is really hard to break. I am not saying he pulled some crap, I don't know. Anyways, if you haven't figured out my point by now, I was just looking for some recognition for the fact that I coined the term, Hillbilly Hillary. Questions, comments, ridicule perhaps, anyone?

Thanks,

Brant
Are you sure your name isn't "Timmy Jenkins"? Check him out on Stephen Colbert.
Old 4th August 2016, 04:23 PM   #5
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

The underprivileged do not have the necessary wherewithal to buy such a shirt sir (or madam). She's trying to pass her self off as acceptable to the elitists too?! I think she has gone too far. Hillbilly Hillary should go drop the price of her stuff to the same price as Trumps before someone gets wind of it, (other than me) (more comparisons to follow). And stop calling him Mr. Quackers. (thats my name for Trump). I got this idea for a great game too.

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 4th August 2016 at 04:24 PM.
MinnesotaBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 04:30 PM   #6
Maya22
Graduate Poster

$30.00 seems to be the going rate for campaign t-shirts. Part of the money goes to the actual cost, while the rest of the money goes toward the campaign.

I've never felt the urge to buy/wear a campaign t-shirt.
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.
Maya22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 04:48 PM   #7
Jrrarglblarg

Hi,

Thanks,

Brant
I suggest your understanding of the actual issues needs work.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 04:49 PM   #8
deaman
Philosopher

Why do you hate Jesus?
deaman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 05:03 PM   #9
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

This is a non-issue.

Yeah, campaign junk generally costs more than any old t-shirt at Walmart because people buy it to support the campaign.
Old 4th August 2016, 05:06 PM   #10
Tero
Graduate Poster

t shirts cost 50 dollars at rock concerts
those are the cool t shirts
everything else is pushing some issue
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 05:17 PM   #11
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by deaman View Post
Why do you hate Jesus?
Why would anyone hate a non-existent non-being???
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 05:43 PM   #12
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
This is a non-issue.

Yeah, campaign junk generally costs more than any old t-shirt at Walmart because people buy it to support the campaign.
Yeah, it's SOP for political campaigns, regardless of party or candidate.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 05:51 PM   #13
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

The underprivileged do not have the necessary wherewithal to buy such a shirt sir (or madam). She's trying to pass her self off as acceptable to the elitists too?! I think she has gone too far. Hillbilly Hillary should go drop the price of her stuff to the same price as Trumps before someone gets wind of it, (other than me) (more comparisons to follow). And stop calling him Mr. Quackers. (thats my name for Trump). I got this idea for a great game too.
What is your problem? Nobody is forcing anyone to buy them. It's just a money-raising gimmick. They set the price to raise the maximum amount of money. It's called free market economics.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 05:52 PM   #14
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Hi,

Based on this fact I am not sure she is even qualified to be president.
Do you think Trump is more qualified to be president than Clinton.

Aside: if this is one of those I-am-going-to-stir-things-up-because-I-am-clever threads, then don't bother responding.
Old 4th August 2016, 05:54 PM   #15
Dog Town
Banned

Dog Town is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 05:55 PM   #16
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Nay, I think this "price," as you call it, is at the heart of what party deserves to be called, "The Party of the People," on one hand you have Mr Quackers, who sells his tee shirts for 20$, Hillbilly Hillary, on the other hand sells hers for 30$. I ask you, based solely on the price of the tee, which do you think is the better candidate?

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 4th August 2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 4th August 2016, 06:00 PM   #17
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Nay, I think this "price," as you call it, is at the heart of what party deserves to be called, "The Party of the People," on one hand you have Mr Quackers, who sells his tee shirts for 20$, Hillbilly Hillary, on the other hand sells hers for 30$. I ask you, based solely on the price of the tee, which do you think is the better candidate?
I'm not sure full-growed people actually choose their candidates on that criterion.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 06:03 PM   #18
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You gotta get off this. This isn't about the cost of a tshirt, it's a campaign donation where they give you a 4 dollar shirt. If you can't pick up on that, we'll you have blinders on.
Old 4th August 2016, 06:04 PM   #19
Madalch
The Jester

Well, the one candidate has his shirts made in a sweat-shop in China, and the other has hers made in the USA. Does that affect your opinion?
Old 4th August 2016, 06:55 PM   #20
shemp

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Do you think Trump is more qualified to be president than Clinton.

Aside: if this is one of those I-am-going-to-stir-things-up-because-I-am-clever threads, then don't bother responding.
In MB's case, this is an impossibility.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 06:56 PM   #21
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Madalch View Post
Well, the one candidate has his shirts made in a sweat-shop in China, and the other has hers made in the USA. Does that affect your opinion?
Is that actually true?
Old 4th August 2016, 06:56 PM   #22
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Madalch View Post
Defeated, I am plotted out my next move right now. I should start working on my game idea now. Its going to involve a spinning dial, cards and dice! (Cards being a lot easier to print out than a whole gameboard.) Judging by the lack of interest in Trump, the board game, I don't have high hopes for making any money here. On the other hand someone might offer me money and take it global. Make me a big offer right now and I might accept!

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 4th August 2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 4th August 2016, 07:08 PM   #23
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
t shirts cost 50 dollars at rock concerts
those are the cool t shirts
everything else is pushing some issue
And for the same reason Clinton shirts are 30 ' because people will pay it
Old 4th August 2016, 07:13 PM   #24
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

I also don't like the fact that everybody is calling Trump crazy as that is a straw man argument that is really hard to break.
If you want people to stop calling Trump crazy, you might want to write his campaign a letter respectfully requesting that he stop acting like an insane narcissist.

Me, I call him that because It's adequately descriptive of how he acts/speaks and because I know there will be a lot more pushback (and thread derailing) if I call him what I actually think he is: a psychopath.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 07:15 PM   #25
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Hi,

To be fair to Trump, they did call him crazy guy and unloaded their best **** on him the day after he fell into the gold star tarpit. They used the same term, I think unfairly, on Ross Perot. I am guessing, though am not sure, that there is going to be some kind of bounceback and everything will go back into alignment when the proper spin is applied to the whole thing. i.e. give it a week.

thanks,

Brant
Old 4th August 2016, 07:15 PM   #26
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Hi,

Thanks,

Brant

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 07:19 PM   #27
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
With no viciousness intended, why, and why do you expect to be honored or even recognized for it. Nothing about Hillary should be linking her to Hillbilly except that both start with Hill. ?????????????????

Trump is , whether crazy or not, certainly incompetent, mean, nasty, vengeful for even the slightest disagreement, and completely stupid reolitics as it is done in a mostly rational country. The nutcases for certain disparate but evil purposes like him because he says out loud what they say while having circle jerks over the newest shotguns and pictures of dead non-white children.
You are being unbelievably generous!

And to the OP: "Hillbilly Hillary" is too hard to say and doesn't really seem to fit. $30 T-shirts, meh.

Last edited by Minoosh; 4th August 2016 at 07:21 PM. Reason: deleted last line
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 07:30 PM   #28
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Ok, I visited both sites and both shirts are made in the USA. Hillary wanted my both my email and/or money to visit either of her sites. Trumps was more simple, you could just click on anonymously and buy stuff. Trumps tees are made of the softest cotton available as are Hillaries. However, Hillaries tees are union made which may be why they are a bit more expensive than Trumps.

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 4th August 2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 4th August 2016, 07:41 PM   #29
Ray Brady
Graduate Poster

If either candidate set the price of their campaign shirts, that in itself would indicate they are unqualified for the job. The President needs to know how to delegate the small stuff.
Ray Brady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 07:42 PM   #30
Jrrarglblarg

Ok, I visited both sites and both shirts are made in the USA. Hillary wanted my both my email and/or money to visit either of her sites. Trumps was more simple, you could just click on anonymously and buy stuff. Trumps tees are made of the softest cotton available as are Hillaries. However, Hillaries tees are union made which may be why they are a bit more expensive than Trumps.
no.

It's a 4 dollar shirt.

Hillary is raising more money and that's one way she's doing it.

Political fundraising dinners cost a thousand bucks a plate. It's still just a choice of pasta or chicken, served with a drink and two sides.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 07:58 PM   #31
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

The top Hillary for president site on google wanted a 1$ donation just to visit the site. I could get to the store merely by giving my email.

Trumps site is a little more egalitarian. Let me go try to get to his main webpage and see how easy that is to negotiate.

They actually look really simular except that Hillary has a pop up proclaiming that she is the candidate endorsed by president obama

I am not getting confused banner ads for either Trump or Hillary, some of which are asking me which side am I on anyways?

They both give you a little bit of content without giving money but, really, if you want in, both sides want you to donate at least 1$.

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 4th August 2016 at 08:01 PM.
Old 4th August 2016, 08:23 PM   #32
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Defeated, I am plotted out my next move right now. I should start working on my game idea now. Its going to involve a spinning dial, ...

Does it involve a dial, a large plastic mat with six rows of large colored circles with a different color in each row: red, yellow, blue and green ... And do you play it in the nude?!

You can call it Betwixt'er™* I hereby allow you the rights to the name! Just don't tell my college buddies ...

*see what I did there?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 08:32 PM   #33
shemp

The top Hillary for president site on google wanted a 1$ donation just to visit the site. I could get to the store merely by giving my email.

Trumps site is a little more egalitarian. Let me go try to get to his main webpage and see how easy that is to negotiate.

They actually look really simular except that Hillary has a pop up proclaiming that she is the candidate endorsed by president obama

I am not getting confused banner ads for either Trump or Hillary, some of which are asking me which side am I on anyways?

They both give you a little bit of content without giving money but, really, if you want in, both sides want you to donate at least 1$.
But for that dollar, you get nude pictures!*

* A warning, not a promise.
Old 4th August 2016, 08:34 PM   #34
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
no.

It's a 4 dollar shirt.

Political fundraising dinners cost a thousand bucks a plate. It's still just a choice of pasta or chicken, served with a drink and two sides.
I've been to $10,000 a person fundraisers and it's not much better. (I worked them, don't have that kind of money) And btw, even after you spent the money to attend, there is a good chance, someone will try to get you to contribute more.
Old 4th August 2016, 08:37 PM   #35
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
no.

It's a 4 dollar shirt.

What if you want two plates? Ok, That's a dumb and dumber quote.
Old 4th August 2016, 08:37 PM   #36
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I've been to $10,000 a person fundraisers and it's not much better. (I worked them, don't have that kind of money) And btw, even after you spent the money to attend, there is a good chance, someone will try to get you to contribute more.
They'd be foolish not to. Anyone who has $10,000 to spare as a political donation almost certainly has a whole lot more.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 08:39 PM   #37
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I have a question about these Hillary T-shirts: Are the nice soft cotton, big enough to be a nightshirt? US clothing tends to be good quality, and we regularly stock up when we go there.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 09:04 PM   #38
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Hi,
To be fair to Trump, they did call him crazy guy
Crazy.
It is kind of a broad term. I think it is fair to say Trump has done a great number of crazy things in the past year. Insulting people who try to support him. Mocking a handicapped reporter while running for president (and as a Clinton-PAC pointed out in an ad, most well-brought-up eight-year-olds can grasp the concept of not making fun of a person's disability), suggesting the US consider the possibility of defaulting on treasury instruments, wanting to ignore the Geneva Conventions, thinking he can get China "to give back millions of jobs that they have stolen," insisting that thousands of Muslims in New Jersey cheered as the Twin Towers came down, trying to BS his way out of that fabrication by asserting that NYC TV stations didn't videotape a lot of stuff back in 2001, ...... I can give you another dozen if you like.

tl;dr I suppose the simplest way to sum up why he is called crazy is that he invariably and repeatedly does things to sabotage his own campaign.

Is that a satisfactory answer?

One last point: I have no problem with people calling her Lying Hillary, Hillbilly Hillary, or even Hitlery; but I do have a problem with people who won't make the effort to spell her name properly. Or to rephrase that, if you cannot even get the spelling right why should I trust you to get the facts right. If you are proud of your title, let it stand. If not, use the report button on the opening post and request a change.
Old 4th August 2016, 09:06 PM   #39
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Both candidates are made from the finest, softest, American made cotton. However, Clintons shirts are union made, while Trumps shirts are not. However, I am not sure that the word unions means much when you are talking about tee shirts. My wife's company was bought out by a company that was unionized. I can't see any difference except the union fee, the wages, benefits, pretty much everything else is the same. The morale is markedly worse, I am not saying that is the unions fault, they are pretty invisible either way other than a quarterly brochure.

Ladewig, yeah well, a strawman argument is a strawman argument no matter who give it. However, I will say that visiting the sites for both candidates has given me a different perspective on the whole thing. They are nearly identical to the point of looking like they were made by the same people. I am guessing that such sites are not intended to be visited by small people such as ourselves, instead they are for the people who count. That being said, I am guessing that my bread is going to be way more buttered by the likes of a Clinton rather than a Trump, but you can't tell that by looking at their sites. They both look exactly the same.

As far as Hillarie's name being misspelled on the title, there is no spell check for titles here, I am still getting her name wrong but its getting spell checked. And actually the truth be told, since its unlikely that I am going to get a patronage job from either of them, I don't really care either. So, I get everyone's name wrong all the time, some get pissed. This is my official sorry to all of them with weird names that I got wrong.

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 4th August 2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 4th August 2016, 09:09 PM   #40
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I have a question about these Hillary T-shirts: Are the nice soft cotton, big enough to be a nightshirt? US clothing tends to be good quality, and we regularly stock up when we go there.
Are you not an American? I'm not sure, but if it's treated by the FEC as a campaign donation then you might not be allowed to buy one. It would be a big no-no (for her, not for you unless you are intentionally trying to find a way around the US law) to knowingly accept any money as a campaign donation from a non-US citizen. Maybe there's a secondary market where that wouldn't be a problem, I don't know.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics