ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th August 2016, 10:07 PM   #41
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by MinnesotaBrant View Post
Ok, I visited both sites and both shirts are made in the USA. Hillary wanted my both my email and/or money to visit either of her sites. Trumps was more simple, you could just click on anonymously and buy stuff. Trumps tees are made of the softest cotton available as are Hillaries. However, Hillaries tees are union made which may be why they are a bit more expensive than Trumps.
What part of the "free market" are you not getting. Rather than framing this as a "well Donald thinks of the little guy" argument, frame it in economic terms. Donald's supporters won't pay more than twenty bucks. In retail, that's known as a "price point". Mrs. Kelly in Dubuque will not pay more than 14.99 for Timmy's pajamas. Sales go down by, say, 1.8% for every dollar over 9.... up to 15 bucks, where sales drop off by 31%.

Donald's supporters don't think he's worth more than twenty bucks. Hillary's supporters do. Simple economics. "Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it." Right?

And then there's "the margin". Is there a rule out there that says you can't pocket more than X% as the donation? These are not solely advertising to get people to wear the brand, which is likely how Donald sees it. They are part branding and part fund-raising. If he's selling them close to cost or closer to cost, he's not putting anything into the campaign funds.

And, by the way, which site, specifically, are you visiting? I can go to Hillary for America and then go to her shop and they don't ask me for a donation before proceeding.

Now, if you're just being cheap economical, there are other products out there supporting the Hillary brand. You won't be contributing to the campaign, but you will be wearing the slogans.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CRFCLWA...cShOQ1W18vnC0w

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 10:18 PM   #42
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Are you not an American? I'm not sure, but if it's treated by the FEC as a campaign donation then you might not be allowed to buy one. It would be a big no-no (for her, not for you unless you are intentionally trying to find a way around the US law) to knowingly accept any money as a campaign donation from a non-US citizen. Maybe there's a secondary market where that wouldn't be a problem, I don't know.
No, I am not a US citizen. I don't care if it contributes to her campaign or not. I certainly won't fill in and return the party loyalty card that comes with it. I just want a nice big soft T-shirt for sleeping in!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 11:11 PM   #43
fuelair
Banned

Nay, I think this "price," as you call it, is at the heart of what party deserves to be called, "The Party of the People," on one hand you have Mr Quackers, who sells his tee shirts for 20$, Hillbilly Hillary, on the other hand sells hers for 30$. I ask you, based solely on the price of the tee, which do you think is the better candidate?
Hillary, of course. Fortunately I do not share Drumpf's stupidity nor that of his (athletic) supporters, aka hemorrhoids .
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2016, 11:16 PM   #44
fuelair
Banned

Nay, I think this "price," as you call it, is at the heart of what party deserves to be called, "The Party of the People," on one hand you have Mr Quackers, who sells his tee shirts for 20$, Hillbilly Hillary, on the other hand sells hers for 30$. I ask you, based solely on the price of the tee, which do you think is the better candidate?
Just for giggles, They are called T-shirts because laid out flat they look sort of like the letter T. Some people spell them out (wrongly ) as tee shirts, but actually they are not made for golfing. Nor are they designed to be worn while drinking the English beverage of choice, so clearly not tea shirts.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2016, 04:31 AM   #45
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

If you want cheap Trump and/or Clinton T-Shirts, then just wait until the day after the election.

At that point, both sides will probably be giving them away for next to nothing.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2016, 05:02 AM   #46
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Both candidates are made from the finest, softest, American made cotton. However, Clintons shirts are union made, while Trumps shirts are not. However, I am not sure that the word unions means much when you are talking about tee shirts. My wife's company was bought out by a company that was unionized. I can't see any difference except the union fee, the wages, benefits, pretty much everything else is the same. The morale is markedly worse, I am not saying that is the unions fault, they are pretty invisible either way other than a quarterly brochure.
I guess the idea is that, over time, a unionised shop will retain existing terms and conditions and may even get them enhanced whereas in a no-union shop terms and conditions will get better at the same rate and may even get worse.

In general* it's easier for employers to "divide and conquer" if the workforce is not united. I may not be happy with my pay cut or small pay raise but may not complain because
  • if it's just me then the employer isn't going to care - they may sack me
  • my colleagues may be happy with the conditions

If we organise then we can act as a single group.

Unions helped to get the kinds of pay and conditions that we enjoy today. When I look at how much better conditions for workers are in Germany than they are here in the UK I have to think that the high level of German unionisation is a major factor
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2016, 05:05 AM   #47
Mader Levap
Muse

Based on this fact I am not sure she is even qualified to be president.
Judging nominees by their campaign t-shirts? Seriously? This is one of the most moronic benchmarks that I ever seen.

I also don't like the fact that everybody is calling Trump crazy as that is a straw man argument that is really hard to break.
His behaviour is pretty good indicator he is crazy, at least in colloquial sense of this word. Did you read/watch media in last few days? You will get your answer why people call Trump crazy.
Old 5th August 2016, 05:11 AM   #48
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
If you want cheap Trump and/or Clinton T-Shirts, then just wait until the day after the election.

At that point, both sides will probably be giving them away for next to nothing.
Good point! *Makes note in diary*
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2016, 07:51 AM   #49
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Hi,

Based on this fact I am not sure she is even qualified to be president. I also don't like the fact that everybody is calling Trump crazy as that is a straw man argument that is really hard to break. I am not saying he pulled some crap, I don't know. Anyways, if you haven't figured out my point by now, I was just looking for some recognition for the fact that I coined the term, Hillbilly Hillary. Questions, comments, ridicule perhaps, anyone?

Thanks,

Brant
That's enough to disqualify someone?

Being a former Senator and Secretary of State doesn't matter compared to this?

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2016, 07:54 AM   #50
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Judging nominees by their campaign t-shirts? Seriously? This is one of the most moronic benchmarks that I ever seen.

His behaviour is pretty good indicator he is crazy, at least in colloquial sense of this word. Did you read/watch media in last few days? You will get your answer why people call Trump crazy.
This is not a joke to me, I personally think that the whole media suddenly starting to call Trump crazy it is indicative of a larger conspiracy in the media yes. I suppose that make me crazy too. But then again, I looked at the sites for both candidates and they are basically a a copy of each others. I don't know. So, maybe I will vote for the person with the cheapest tee shirt. I am not saying I will vote for Trump, I will examine the Tee shirt prices of all the candidates including third party candidates before I decide. I think that could be as indicative as how they would lead as anything else.

I got a trivia question for you. They say that if all of your muscles pulled together in the same direction we could lift 25 tons. Could you imagine what would happen if everyone in the country voted, and/or refused to vote?

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 5th August 2016 at 07:58 AM.
MinnesotaBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2016, 08:01 AM   #51
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

This is not a joke to me, I personally think that the whole media suddenly starting to call Trump crazy it is indicative of a larger conspiracy in the media yes. I suppose that make me crazy too. But then again, I looked at the sites for both candidates and they are basically a a copy of each others. I don't know.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "I looked at the sites for both candidates and they are basically a a copy of each others". The layouts of the sites are quite different, the messages on the sites are quite different.

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/

How are they so similar ?

So, maybe I will vote for the person with the cheapest tee shirt. I am not saying I will vote for Trump, I will examine the Tee shirt prices of all the candidates including third party candidates before I decide. I think that could be as indicative as how they would lead as anything else.
That is probably the least sensible way to choose a candidate that I've ever heard of.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2016, 08:18 AM   #52
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "I looked at the sites for both candidates and they are basically a a copy of each others". The layouts of the sites are quite different, the messages on the sites are quite different.

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/

How are they so similar ?

That is probably the least sensible way to choose a candidate that I've ever heard of.
Thanks for the link, I see you voted for Hillary, What I get when I click on these links from my browser is something different. I get an appeal for money on both sites except either site wants at least 1$ to continue and no video from Hillary. They can change these sites on a dime however so no telling if what I am seeing is the same as what you are seeing. Just watch and tell me if you see any campaign tee shirt prices drop and tell me ok? I might be a customer.
Old 5th August 2016, 08:41 AM   #53
Jrrarglblarg

This thread is an example of why we need to improve our civics education in America.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2016, 08:43 AM   #54
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks for the link, I see you voted for Hillary,
No, I voted for no-one. I am ineligible to vote in U.S. elections.

What I get when I click on these links from my browser is something different. I get an appeal for money on both sites except either site wants at least 1$ to continue and no video from Hillary. They can change these sites on a dime however so no telling if what I am seeing is the same as what you are seeing.
It sounds fishy to me that you're being asked $1 merely to browse a site. Can anyone with a U.S. IP address confirm whether this is the case.

Just watch and tell me if you see any campaign tee shirt prices drop and tell me ok? I might be a customer.[/quote]

No, I will not
Old 5th August 2016, 10:00 AM   #55
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
no.

It's a 4 dollar shirt.

Hillary is raising more money and that's one way she's doing it.

Political fundraising dinners cost a thousand bucks a plate. It's still just a choice of pasta or chicken, served with a drink and two sides.
The nickname that Political Pros have for this (in both parties) is "The Rubber Chicken Circuit".

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2016, 10:01 AM   #56
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post

And,30 years from now, they will be valuable collector's items because so few will be left.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2016, 10:06 AM   #57
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

BTW "Hillbilly" was the Secret Service code name (with the Clinton's approval) for Bill and Hillary when BIll was President,

Robert Heinlein.
Old 5th August 2016, 10:14 AM   #58
Mader Levap
Muse

I personally think that the whole media suddenly starting to call Trump crazy
And they "suddenly started to call him crazy" for no reason at all? Totally nothing to do with what Trump says on daily basis?

it is indicative of a larger conspiracy in the media yes.
Conspiracy subforum is that way. ---> You will feel at home with Kyon or Malbec, I am sure.

So, maybe I will vote for the person with the cheapest tee shirt.
You know that almost everyone will consider it pretty idiotic reason to vote for anyone, right?

What I get when I click on these links from my browser is something different. I get an appeal for money on both sites except either site wants at least 1$ to continue and no video from Hillary. They can change these sites on a dime however so no telling if what I am seeing is the same as what you are seeing.
It is pretty clear you are making things up.

I guess outright trolling is now only possible "defense" of insane fascist clown for Trumpists, eh?
Old 5th August 2016, 10:23 AM   #59
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

This is not a joke to me, I personally think that the whole media suddenly starting to call Trump crazy it is indicative of a larger conspiracy in the media yes. I suppose that make me crazy too. But then again, I looked at the sites for both candidates and they are basically a a copy of each others. I don't know. So, maybe I will vote for the person with the cheapest tee shirt. I am not saying I will vote for Trump, I will examine the Tee shirt prices of all the candidates including third party candidates before I decide. I think that could be as indicative as how they would lead as anything else.

I got a trivia question for you. They say that if all of your muscles pulled together in the same direction we could lift 25 tons. Could you imagine what would happen if everyone in the country voted, and/or refused to vote?
It's not a sign of a meda. It's a sign that "whoa, this guy really is crazy" and a total lack of imagination and if it sells, go with it. They could say that "Hillary is crazy" but it just doesn't ring true. It's also a result of Hillary's campaign pushing that theme. It's also Trump's almost non stop actions which seem not only counterproductive but self destructive. Any smart candidate wouldn't have said anything negative about the Khans, but even if they slipped and made the mistake once, they wouldn't have carried the feud on for 4 days.
Any smart candidate wouldn't be conducting petty feuds in public with long time leaders in his own party.
He wouldn't be saying he saw with his own eyes a video that NOBODY has seen and insist that he has.
Seriously, doesn't he sound crazy?
Old 5th August 2016, 10:27 AM   #60
Jrrarglblarg

Quote:
It is pretty clear you are making things up.
Nope. First thing that shows when I go to hillaryclinton.com is a query for email and zip code. The next page demands a minimum 1 dollar donation to get into the rest of the site.

Foreign nationals in foreign nations should not be asked for this because it would be illegal. If your IP is detected as overseas, you are probably just getting routed around the paywall.

I haven't looked at Trump's site yet.

{edit to add}
And I did not donate a dollar.

Last edited by Jrrarglblarg; 5th August 2016 at 10:28 AM.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2016, 10:27 AM   #61
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
No, I voted for no-one. I am ineligible to vote in U.S. elections.

It sounds fishy to me that you're being asked $1 merely to browse a site. Can anyone with a U.S. IP address confirm whether this is the case.

Just watch and tell me if you see any campaign tee shirt prices drop and tell me ok? I might be a customer.
No, I will not[/quote]
A lot of the e-mail scams on both sides try to get you to send money ro vote on their latest we're better poll. I do not.
Old 5th August 2016, 10:46 AM   #62
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Nope. First thing that shows when I go to hillaryclinton.com is a query for email and zip code. The next page demands a minimum 1 dollar donation to get into the rest of the site.

Foreign nationals in foreign nations should not be asked for this because it would be illegal. If your IP is detected as overseas, you are probably just getting routed around the paywall.

I haven't looked at Trump's site yet.

{edit to add}
And I did not donate a dollar.
You can go to HillaryClinton.Com and when the dialog box comes up hit the "X" in the corner and go all over the site. No money, No problem.
Old 5th August 2016, 10:54 AM   #63
Mader Levap
Muse

Nope. First thing that shows when I go to hillaryclinton.com is a query for email and zip code.
I got same panel. I clicked X in right upper corner. Maybe you should search for those too.

The next page demands a minimum 1 dollar donation to get into the rest of the site.
I find it hard to believe. Obligatory donation? Isn't that counter-productive?

Are you sure you can't skip that? You know, gray X in right corner?

That would explain why I din't got any page about donation (obligatory or otherwise).

Last edited by Mader Levap; 5th August 2016 at 10:56 AM.
Mader Levap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2016, 11:16 AM   #64
Jrrarglblarg

Quote:
That would explain why I din't got any page about donation (obligatory or otherwise).
Yes, that would make much more sense than "Jrrarglblarg doesn't know how to use the Internet."
Old 5th August 2016, 11:52 AM   #65
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, that would make much more sense than "Jrrarglblarg doesn't know how to use the Internet."
In today's day and age it's kind of like saying you don't know how to use the toilet.
Old 5th August 2016, 11:58 AM   #66
fuelair
Banned

Possibly if you add up all the lift capability of all the muscles in the body and change them in a way none individually will ever be overstressed while doing the lift, but if someone did that, with your muscles, you would not be alive to see it.
Old 5th August 2016, 12:05 PM   #67
fuelair
Banned

By the by, you might want to run a check on that.
Old 5th August 2016, 12:08 PM   #68
fuelair
Banned

I did: no high level science person seems to say it, but some people quote a poster (no id of poster), but. And one sports physiology person says it, but vaguely says what I openly did - not happening with the muscles as they are in the body . Also, if tried that way, the strain would break bones and ruin organs in the process.

Last edited by fuelair; 5th August 2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 5th August 2016, 12:10 PM   #69
fuelair
Banned

Essentially it is a fun (maybe) fact (maybe) that has no practical application.
Old 5th August 2016, 12:37 PM   #70
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

US

I got same panel. I clicked X in right upper corner. Maybe you should search for those too.

I find it hard to believe. Obligatory donation? Isn't that counter-productive?

Are you sure you can't skip that? You know, gray X in right corner?

I'm in the US and am on a tablet. I got an initial box asking if trump must be stopped. I x'd it out rather than saying "I agree" and was able to browse the entire site
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2016, 01:02 PM   #71
JoeB
Graduate Poster

I paid 20-something for a Cthulhu for President T-shirt. Guess I got a good deal.

https://cthulhuforamerica.com/

Last edited by JoeB; 5th August 2016 at 01:04 PM.
JoeB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2016, 01:18 PM   #72
Fitter
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeB View Post
I paid 20-something for a Cthulhu for President T-shirt. Guess I got a good deal.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cn8RvBLUsAAiDFR.jpg:large
https://cthulhuforamerica.com/
I would totally buy one of those, but I'm Canadian.
Fitter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2016, 01:34 PM   #73
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

This thread is an example of why we need to improve our civics education in America.
Indeed.

I think more knowledge of the federal government, election laws/procedures/requirements, and website pop-ups would go a long, long way towards shortening this thread.
Old 5th August 2016, 04:08 PM   #74
Mader Levap
Muse

Nope. I didn't got page about donation, since I am foreginer. You got and you claimed it is not possible to continue without forking at least 1$:

The next page demands a minimum 1 dollar donation to get into the rest of the site.
Since I don't believe anyone would do something like that (and other posters corroborated that), I have to conclude that yes, "Jrrarglblarg doesn't know how to use the Internet".
Old 5th August 2016, 04:39 PM   #75
Garrison
Illuminator

This is not a joke to me, I personally think that the whole media suddenly starting to call Trump crazy it is indicative of a larger conspiracy in the media yes.
It's indicative of the fact that the media suddenly realized, 'holy **** this lunatic could actually win!' and decided to do their jobs instead of treating the election like an extended edition of 'The Apprentice'.
Old 5th August 2016, 04:44 PM   #76
Jrrarglblarg

Nope. I didn't got page about donation, since I am foreginer. You got and you claimed it is not possible to continue without forking at least 1$:

Since I don't believe anyone would do something like that (and other posters corroborated that), I have to conclude that yes, "Jrrarglblarg doesn't know how to use the Internet".

Argument From Incredulity. I can't take screenshots and post them because I'm on an iPad.
Old 5th August 2016, 05:15 PM   #77
Fitter
Illuminator

Argument From Incredulity. I can't take screenshots and post them because I'm on an iPad.
Power and home buttons at the same time.
Fitter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2016, 05:31 PM   #78
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by Fitter View Post
Power and home buttons at the same time.
I did not know that! I'm at the emergency room with a clumsy teen so I'll try it when I get home.

The popups for email and donation both lacked any close button I could find. Despite what mader levap might think, I'm not stupid.
Old 5th August 2016, 07:12 PM   #79
Jrrarglblarg

There is no X on the page

Edited by zooterkin:  Reduced image size.

Last edited by zooterkin; 6th August 2016 at 02:20 AM.
Old 5th August 2016, 07:13 PM   #80
Jrrarglblarg

And no X button on this page.
Edited by zooterkin:  Reduced image size.

Last edited by zooterkin; 6th August 2016 at 02:20 AM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics