ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old 15th November 2019, 10:42 AM   #841
carlitos
"más divertido"

For all of Stone's faults, he certainly has a sense of style. That hat, along with a french blue shirt with spread collar, and loosely-knotted garza grossa grenadine tie ... he's got quite the sense of sprezzatura about him.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 10:44 AM   #842
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
For all of Stone's faults, he certainly has a sense of style. That hat, along with a french blue shirt with spread collar, and loosely-knotted garza grossa grenadine tie ... he's got quite the sense of sprezzatura about him.
Then there's that Nixon tattoo . . .

Carroll Shelby
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 11:55 AM   #843
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Then there's that Nixon tattoo . . .
Old 15th November 2019, 12:31 PM   #844
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Funny thing is almost everybody who worked at the Nixon White House have little respect for Stone;he had a very,very,minor job,basically he was a gofer/errand boy. He might have met Nixon once or twice.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 12:33 PM   #845
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Funny thing is almost everybody who worked at the Nixon White House have little respect for Stone;he had a very,very,minor job,basically he was a gofer/errand boy. He might have met Nixon once or twice.
Was Nixon still in office when he got it? Never mind that it's weird to have such a tattoo, but of a disgraced President?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 01:04 PM   #846
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

He'll be trading all in that for an Orange jump suit.

But you know what they say.

"Orange is the new black".
Old 15th November 2019, 01:24 PM   #847
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

There is a metaphysical certainty that that Nixon tattoo talks to him.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 03:40 PM   #848
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
He'll be trading all in that for an Orange jump suit.

But you know what they say.

"Orange is the new black".
Well-played, sir.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 03:51 PM   #849
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

There are 2 things in particular that bother me about the results of the Stone case:

- Its possible that, despite the number of charges he was convicted on, sentencing guidelines suggest he may only spend a year or 2 in jail.

- He has been released from prison until sentencing.

He is a self-professed dirty trickster who was convicted on all accounts. Prior to the trial the judge had to issue a gag order because of Stone's shenanigans, and he has shown no remorse for his crimes (angling for a pardon for Trump, and blaming the legal system.) He should not be free awaiting sentencing... he should be behind bars NOW. Given his past history I would not trust him to act properly prior to his sentencing.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/15/trum...-congress.html

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 05:12 PM   #850
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Looks like Stone is angling for a pardon....

From: https://www.newsweek.com/roger-stone...pardon-1471905
...Stone on Thursday reportedly begged President Donald Trump to pardon him through a message sent to InfoWars far-right conspiracy theorist Alex Jones... "And he said to me, 'Alex, barring a miracle, I appeal to God and I appeal to your listeners for prayer, and I appeal to the president to pardon me because to do so would be an action that would show these corrupt courts that they're not going to get away with persecuting people for their free speech or for the crime of getting the president elected...'"

And there you have it... breaking the law is a form of free speech.

Its not like any president would be dumb enough to listen to a conspiracy web site though, right? Right?

I wonder if there are any state-level charges that can be directed at Stone (the way they hit Manafort following his conviction, to prevent the risk of pardons.)
Since he's under a gag order, which he's violated before and the judge slapped him down for, I don't see this going down well.
Old 15th November 2019, 06:20 PM   #851
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Since he's under a gag order, which he's violated before and the judge slapped him down for, I don't see this going down well.
He may be under a gag order but he has already been released pending sentencing (despite the prosecutors recommending he be held in custody.)

They really do seem to be treating him with kid gloves.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 07:09 PM   #852
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
The trial is over, though the sentencing remains. I suppose the gag order is still in effect?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 07:14 PM   #853
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Will the pardon be immediate, or saved to steal headlines from some suitably damaging news cycle?
We should take bets. I'm going to bet Trump is saving these up until his impeachment is over (provided gutless Republicans keep him in office) and the election is over. So during the lame duck or just after being sworn in for term 2.
Old 16th November 2019, 03:36 AM   #854
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
He may be under a gag order but he has already been released pending sentencing (despite the prosecutors recommending he be held in custody.)

They really do seem to be treating him with kid gloves.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk
Whether or not he's already been released pending sentencing is a different matter to how the judge is going to react to him once again violating a gag order he's already been slapped down for violating.
Old 21st November 2019, 03:38 PM   #855
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

The spread collar and his very weak shoulders add up to a strange look. But, at least his suits are tailored to fit his odd shape.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2019, 04:12 PM   #856
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
The spread collar and his very weak shoulders add up to a strange look. But, at least his suits are tailored to fit his odd shape.
Your shoulders would sag too, if they had Richard Nixon tattooed between them.
Old 21st November 2019, 10:41 PM   #857
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I don't get what people see in his taste. Looks like a clash between a gay maitre d and a low-level mafioso trying too hard to look the part.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2019, 07:55 AM   #858
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post

I don't get what people see in his taste. Looks like a clash between a gay maitre d and a low-level mafioso trying too hard to look the part.

You seem to be agreeing with each other.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 10:27 AM   #859
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Forget the shoulders, I can't get get past the shape of his head
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 11:04 AM   #860
Lurch
Muse

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Forget the shoulders, I can't get get past the shape of his head
Me too! That's quite the slope leading to a near cone-head in side profile. Maybe the midwife permanently bent his noggin with the spatula when turning him around?
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2019, 12:40 PM   #861
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Am I the only one who is reminded of Peter Sellers when I see Roger Stone?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:31 AM   #862
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/statu...78829370740738

Quote:
Barr’s entire effort to substantiate the last two years of a “deep state” conspiracy has flopped, despite a monumental effort on his behalf. https://washingtonpost.com/national-...2b1_story.html
Article and excerpt embedded in tweet.

Another source: https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/statu...78200027762689

Quote:
NEW: A source familiar with the draft of the IG's report has confirmed to
@PeteWilliamsNBC
that John Durham has found nothing to indicate that Joseph Mifsud was a U.S. intelligence plant used to kickoff the Trump 2016 campaign investigation.

First reported by
@washingtonpost

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics