ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd November 2018, 02:50 PM   #1
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Wash. Rep Shea - “Biblical Basis for War”, Liberty the 51st State, Christian Identity

Quote:
Five-term Washington state Rep. Matt Shea has been circulating a manual for holy war in the United States, the Seattle Times reported.

The four-page document, titled “Biblical Basis for War,” goes point-by-point over how a Christian theocratic movement could – and should – exterminate its opposition in a battle to win a hypothetical holy war.

At the outset, Shea’s holy army would issue terms of surrender to its enemies. The demands include “stop all abortions,” “no same-sex marriage,” “no idolatry or occultism,” “no communism,” and “must obey Biblical law.”

If the rest of the country refuses to “yield” to these terms, the document advocates a final solution: “kill all males.”

Shea replied to Rowe and the Seattle Times in a Facebook video of his own, furiously claiming that he wasn’t angry over the incident while showing off his historical knowledge by claiming that the Mayflower compact was “a covenant with God to advance Christianity.”

“The counter-state is working overtime,” he said, adding that “there are two main counter-states in America: Marxists and Islamists.”

He went on to criticize a recent Rolling Stone profile of him as an example of a “Maoist insurgency model.”

The Rolling Stone article – published last week – details Shea’s fantasy of creating a “51st state” with freedom for guns and rule by God. The story goes into depth on Shea’s ties to local white nationalist movements

Shea has used his time online to promote far-right conspiracy theories, including the idea that global warming is a conspiracy to “manipulate the public mind.”

He also frequently met with and supported rancher Cliven Bundy’s uprising against the Bureau of Land Management, which he opposes for the despotic act of charging fees for grazing on federally maintained land.
Linky.

The Rolling Stones article is quite long, but gives a good overall picture of the movement he is a part of. Meanwhile, it has been referred to the FBI.

Quote:
“This document is not a sermon, this is a ‘how to’ manual for what they plan to do if there’s ever civil war or a government collapse. These people are focused on the apocalypse. And quite frankly, they’re happy to push that into happening,” Spokane County Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich told the Daily News.

The sheriff said he received a copy of the manifesto two months ago and forwarded it to the FBI for investigation.

He said the document was leaked by people in Shea’s inner-circle who believe his leadership is causing division and a “dangerous situation.”

“I had this document for 2 ½ months and no one heard a word out of me because I didn’t want to interfere with the investigation. These are people in Shea’s security wing who broke it during the election cycle. They’re afraid he’ll be re-elected,” Knezovich said.

The sheriff said that based on the manifesto and local sources, he believes Shea is pushing ideologies from the Aryan and American Redoubt movements.

“The endgame is the same as the map of the Redoubt movement, the same as the white supremacy map in the 1990s. They want to make a white homeland,” the sheriff said.

“They want to have a theocracy, and if you don’t find their ideology or makeup, you’re not going to do too well in this state,” he said.
Linky.

Last edited by Tsukasa Buddha; 2nd November 2018 at 02:52 PM.
Tsukasa Buddha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 03:22 PM   #2
AnonyMoose
Muse

So I'm curious...

How big is this "movement" this Shea character is a part of?
Old 2nd November 2018, 03:25 PM   #3
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

American Taliban.
Old 2nd November 2018, 03:39 PM   #4
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
American Taliban.
That is probably giving this nutjob way too much credit.
It he ones who are more subtle about it we have to be concerned about.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 03:40 PM   #5
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I am surprised there had not been some move in the Washington State Legislature to at least censure this loon for him rants.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 04:17 PM   #6
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Quote:
The story goes into depth on Shea’s ties to local white nationalist movements
As has been said before: not all Trump supporters are racist and/or bigots against minorities. But those people who are racist and bigots tend to be Trump supporters.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 04:22 PM   #7
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

A number of businesses who contributed to his campaing have denounced him and are demanding their money back.
No word from the Washington GOP, though. Shea is Republican State Representative in some leadership positions on commitees. I suspect he will be stripped ofhis leadership positions as soon as the legislature meets again.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 2nd November 2018, 04:36 PM   #8
carlitos
"más divertido"

State Rep believes / says crazy thing. I'm shocked.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 04:48 PM   #9
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
A number of businesses who contributed to his campaing have denounced him and are demanding their money back.
No word from the Washington GOP, though. Shea is Republican State Representative in some leadership positions on commitees. I suspect he will be stripped ofhis leadership positions as soon as the legislature meets again.
Or invited to dinner at the White House.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 06:27 PM   #10
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
So I'm curious...

He's one of the "normals" some posters here claim to be part of.
Old 2nd November 2018, 06:59 PM   #11
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
American Taliban.
More like ISIS- they want to set up a Christian Identity "nation" in the Pacific northwest...
Old 2nd November 2018, 08:33 PM   #12
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

This man should be arrested for oxygen theft.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:49 PM   #13
Ranb
Philosopher

I've exchanged e-mails with Shea in the past concerning various bills in the legislature in Olympia. He did not seem so bat-crap crazy back then.

Ranb

ETA; I read some Representative Shea e-mail back from 2009-2010. He seems like a "pass the buck" kind of person. When I asked him why he was not pushing certain gun legislation, he only offered up the excuse that the Judiciary Chair (a Democrat) would not give give the bill a hearing as he (Jamie Pedersen) was anti-gun. I was inexperienced enough to believe him at the time.

However when I actually sat down to talk to Representative Pedersen I saw that he was indeed everything that Shea was not. Pedersen was (still is) a gay-liberal-educated-blunt man who really didn't give a crap about guns. But he was willing to give the gun bill a hearing if he thought it would pass; but I had to get the opinions of the police and gun control organizations first. I did and he did; most likely because the prime sponsor (Blake (D), not Shea) pushed hard.

Pedersen is a good guy. He has dealt fairly with me as any of my district reps and better than most others.

Last edited by Ranb; 2nd November 2018 at 11:18 PM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:05 PM   #14
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Would this be "Shea-ria" law?
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:11 PM   #15
Ranb
Philosopher

Good one.

I copied that manifesto Shea is supporting from here; https://www.spokesman.com/documents/...cal-basis-war/ The formatting when copied to Wordpad is awful but I'm able to copy it to the forum.

Biblical Basis for War

1. God is a Warrior.
2. When is the time for war? When God says its time...Prayer Council.
3. Fight to win so you don’t have to fight again.
4. 4 Things to stay within God’s will:
a. Holy Cause;
b. Holy Leader;
c. Holy Army; and
d. Holy Camp.
5. 4 Ways to know its time to fight:
a. God reveals His will to the leader;
b. Leader inquires of God...Prayer Council;
c. God puts it on the hearts of the people; or
d. God starts the fight.
6. Things for a Holy Army
a. Sacrifice/Worship/Prayer;
b. Circumcision/Saved;
c. Vow(consecration to the Lord);
d. Trumpets/Ark;
e. Atonement/Money; and
f. Praise to God Before/During/After.
7. 5 Facts of War:
a. War is a fact of life.
b. God is with us and the battle is His.
c. Numbers are inconsequential.
d. Armaments are inconsequential.
e. Isaiah 57:1 – Why Righteous Men are Killed...
8. 4 Qualifications of a Warrior:
a. 18 years old or older;
b. Able bodied Man;
c. Single Minded in Battle; and
d. Stable Home.
9. 5 Exemptions from Service:
a. Training Family – New Home;
b. Newlyweds – New Wife;
c. Farmer – New Crops;
d. Scared – Fear Means a Lack of Faith (Offer to Leave); or
e. Priests – Duty to Ministry in Temple.
10. Rules of War
a.Conduct a census of all able bodied males (18-*‐45).
i. Identify Exemptions (see above).
ii. Appoint Captains of 10’s, 50’s, 100’s and 1000’s.
b. Avoid blood shed if possible.
c. Make an offer of Peace before declaring war.
i. Not a negotiation or compromise of righteousness.
ii. Must surrender on terms of justice and righteousness:
1. Stop all abortions;
2. No same-*‐sex marriage;
3. No idolatry or occultism;
4. No communism; and
5. Must obey Biblical law.
iii. If they yield – must pay share of work or taxes.
iv. If they do not yield – kill all males.
d. War is not waged against nations but against man (no scorched earth or Sherman’s march to the sea).
e. Cut down only non-*‐food trees necessary for supplies (safeguard production over politics or retribution).
f. Do not attack or kill productive citizens. They are your base of support after the enemy is defeated.
g. Law of Booty
i. ½ went to those who fought.
ii. ½ went to those who didn’t.
iii. Divide evenly to the individuals...each gives tribute to Lord.
1. Tithe to Church & Ministry
2. None to Government – Removes temptation to fight.
3. May use your part to give to those who helped.
4. Commanders received the same portion. If a greater portion then they would have an incentive to fight.
11. Organizational Structure for War
a. Captains of 5/10/50/100/1000
i. 5 = Team Leader (Corporal)
ii. 10 = Squad Leader (Sergeant)
iii. 50 = Platoon Leader (Lieutenant/Sergeant First Class)
iv. 100 = Company Commander (Captain/First Sergeant)
v. 1000 = Battalion Commander (Colonel/Sergeant Major)
b. Small Standing Army (Quick Reaction & Shell Leadership).
c. Only Muster in War Time.
12. Biblically Dealing with Tyranny
a. Tyranny is never a divinely appointed means of government.
b. A tyrant is someone who rules without God.
c. Tyranny is not a lawful form of government.
d. “Godless civil rulers are no more than bands of robbers.” St. Aug.
e. When the rule of law dies as sin prevails throughout the land, tyranny is not far behind.
f. Book of Judges– Sin = Tyranny.
g. Deuteronomy 28:1 – Blessings for Obedience.
h. Deuteronomy 28:15 – Curses of Disobedience.
i. Judges 3 – The Lord will test you to see if you Obey Him.
j. No such thing as “rebelling against tyranny.” RESTORATION
k. Deuteronomy 4:34 – God brings His people out of tyranny.
i. God doesn’t use majorities. The majority is usually wrong.
ii. Hebrews 11:32 – Heroes of Faith that conquered tyrants.
l. Options:
i. Use of Deception
1. Not generally speaking only very specifically.
2. Avoiding being an accomplice to sin.
3. Do not owe the truth to someone who will abuse it.
ii. Avoidance
1. This does not mean cowardice.
2. Conflict with tyranny also is preventing wickedness from harming property, lives, family when you don’t have the strength or resources to overcome.
iii. Assassination & Sabotage
1. Assassination to remove tyrants is just, not murder.
2. 2 Chron. 23:12 – Dietrich Bonhoeffer – Plot for Hitler.
iv. Armed Resistance & Guerilla War.
m. Considerations Before Beginning War – Prayer & Contemplation
i. Strength and Resources.
ii. Ability to go full -*‐ scale on a long -*‐ term basis to win.
iii. Not a temporary action based on emotion.
iv. Review the Declaration of Causes and Necessity.
v. Reasonable hope of winning, God is on your side. If not wait.
vi. Is God directing? Ex. 33:14 -*‐ 15, 2 Chronicles 7:14, Gamaliel.
vii. People are tired of tyranny & sin w/ hearts set on Freedom? OR People accustomed tyrannyand don’t know who God is?
viii. Micah – Patriots who want to serve God not “libertine.”
13. Warrior Priests
a. Living Sacrifice.
b. Intercession through prayer and action.
c. Adam was told to tend and guard (“Abad & Shamar”).
d. Warrior = Guardianship.
e. 2 Chronicles 23:8 -*‐ 9 – Armed Guards & weapons in the tabernacle.
f. Prayer Humility, Wisdom, Courage, and Protection.
g. James 4:8 – Draw near to God and purge double mindedness.
h. James 4:17 – Not doing the right thing is sin.
i. Proverbs 21:31– “Prepare your horse for battle, but the battle is the Lord’s.”
14. Freedom is in Jesus Christ. Where the Spirit of God is, there is Liberty.
It displays even worse here.

The nicest thing I can say about this crap is that it is naive.

Last edited by Ranb; 2nd November 2018 at 11:15 PM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2018, 01:51 AM   #16
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Good one.

I copied that manifesto Shea is supporting from here; https://www.spokesman.com/documents/...cal-basis-war/ The formatting when copied to Wordpad is awful but I'm able to copy it to the forum.

Biblical Basis for War

1. God is a Warrior.
2. When is the time for war? When God says its time...Prayer Council.
3. Fight to win so you don’t have to fight again.
4. 4 Things to stay within God’s will:
a. Holy Cause;
b. Holy Leader;
c. Holy Army; and
d. Holy Camp.
5. 4 Ways to know its time to fight:
a. God reveals His will to the leader;
b. Leader inquires of God...Prayer Council;
c. God puts it on the hearts of the people; or
d. God starts the fight.
6. Things for a Holy Army
a. Sacrifice/Worship/Prayer;
b. Circumcision/Saved;
c. Vow(consecration to the Lord);
d. Trumpets/Ark;
e. Atonement/Money; and
f. Praise to God Before/During/After.
7. 5 Facts of War:
a. War is a fact of life.
b. God is with us and the battle is His.
c. Numbers are inconsequential.
d. Armaments are inconsequential.
e. Isaiah 57:1 – Why Righteous Men are Killed...
8. 4 Qualifications of a Warrior:
a. 18 years old or older;
b. Able bodied Man;
c. Single Minded in Battle; and
d. Stable Home.
9. 5 Exemptions from Service:
a. Training Family – New Home;
b. Newlyweds – New Wife;
c. Farmer – New Crops;
d. Scared – Fear Means a Lack of Faith (Offer to Leave); or
e. Priests – Duty to Ministry in Temple.
10. Rules of War
a.Conduct a census of all able bodied males (18-*‐45).
i. Identify Exemptions (see above).
ii. Appoint Captains of 10’s, 50’s, 100’s and 1000’s.
b. Avoid blood shed if possible.
c. Make an offer of Peace before declaring war.
i. Not a negotiation or compromise of righteousness.
ii. Must surrender on terms of justice and righteousness:
1. Stop all abortions;
2. No same-*‐sex marriage;
3. No idolatry or occultism;
4. No communism; and
5. Must obey Biblical law.
iii. If they yield – must pay share of work or taxes.
iv. If they do not yield – kill all males.
d. War is not waged against nations but against man (no scorched earth or Sherman’s march to the sea).
e. Cut down only non-*‐food trees necessary for supplies (safeguard production over politics or retribution).
f. Do not attack or kill productive citizens. They are your base of support after the enemy is defeated.
g. Law of Booty
i. ½ went to those who fought.
ii. ½ went to those who didn’t.
iii. Divide evenly to the individuals...each gives tribute to Lord.
1. Tithe to Church & Ministry
2. None to Government – Removes temptation to fight.
3. May use your part to give to those who helped.
4. Commanders received the same portion. If a greater portion then they would have an incentive to fight.
11. Organizational Structure for War
a. Captains of 5/10/50/100/1000
i. 5 = Team Leader (Corporal)
ii. 10 = Squad Leader (Sergeant)
iii. 50 = Platoon Leader (Lieutenant/Sergeant First Class)
iv. 100 = Company Commander (Captain/First Sergeant)
v. 1000 = Battalion Commander (Colonel/Sergeant Major)
b. Small Standing Army (Quick Reaction & Shell Leadership).
c. Only Muster in War Time.
12. Biblically Dealing with Tyranny
a. Tyranny is never a divinely appointed means of government.
b. A tyrant is someone who rules without God.
c. Tyranny is not a lawful form of government.
d. “Godless civil rulers are no more than bands of robbers.” St. Aug.
e. When the rule of law dies as sin prevails throughout the land, tyranny is not far behind.
f. Book of Judges– Sin = Tyranny.
g. Deuteronomy 28:1 – Blessings for Obedience.
h. Deuteronomy 28:15 – Curses of Disobedience.
i. Judges 3 – The Lord will test you to see if you Obey Him.
j. No such thing as “rebelling against tyranny.” RESTORATION
k. Deuteronomy 4:34 – God brings His people out of tyranny.
i. God doesn’t use majorities. The majority is usually wrong.
ii. Hebrews 11:32 – Heroes of Faith that conquered tyrants.
l. Options:
i. Use of Deception
1. Not generally speaking only very specifically.
2. Avoiding being an accomplice to sin.
3. Do not owe the truth to someone who will abuse it.
ii. Avoidance
1. This does not mean cowardice.
2. Conflict with tyranny also is preventing wickedness from harming property, lives, family when you don’t have the strength or resources to overcome.
iii. Assassination & Sabotage
1. Assassination to remove tyrants is just, not murder.
2. 2 Chron. 23:12 – Dietrich Bonhoeffer – Plot for Hitler.
iv. Armed Resistance & Guerilla War.
m. Considerations Before Beginning War – Prayer & Contemplation
i. Strength and Resources.
ii. Ability to go full -*‐ scale on a long -*‐ term basis to win.
iii. Not a temporary action based on emotion.
iv. Review the Declaration of Causes and Necessity.
v. Reasonable hope of winning, God is on your side. If not wait.
vi. Is God directing? Ex. 33:14 -*‐ 15, 2 Chronicles 7:14, Gamaliel.
vii. People are tired of tyranny & sin w/ hearts set on Freedom? OR People accustomed tyrannyand don’t know who God is?
viii. Micah – Patriots who want to serve God not “libertine.”
13. Warrior Priests
a. Living Sacrifice.
b. Intercession through prayer and action.
c. Adam was told to tend and guard (“Abad & Shamar”).
d. Warrior = Guardianship.
e. 2 Chronicles 23:8 -*‐ 9 – Armed Guards & weapons in the tabernacle.
f. Prayer Humility, Wisdom, Courage, and Protection.
g. James 4:8 – Draw near to God and purge double mindedness.
h. James 4:17 – Not doing the right thing is sin.
i. Proverbs 21:31– “Prepare your horse for battle, but the battle is the Lord’s.”
14. Freedom is in Jesus Christ. Where the Spirit of God is, there is Liberty.
It displays even worse here.

The nicest thing I can say about this crap is that it is naive.
Gee, that's hardly crazy at all. All you need is a neighbor's talking dog and you've got Son of Sam. Put in something about redistributing the wealth (although they sort of cover that with their privateering licenses for spoils of war) and you've got Jim Jones. Pol Pot?

ETA: That appears to be a Spokane area newspaper site? They just published this manifesto with no commentary?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 3rd November 2018 at 02:09 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2018, 02:00 AM   #17
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Guns and God?
I thought for these types, the two terms are synonymous.
Old 3rd November 2018, 02:36 AM   #18
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AnonyMoose View Post
So I'm curious...

Hard to say. People in that part of Washington eat lots of meat and not much fiber. The size of their movement varies.

Last edited by Craig4; 3rd November 2018 at 02:47 AM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2018, 02:42 AM   #19
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

He’s been watching too much of the Handmaids Tale while masturbating is my guess.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2018, 03:16 AM   #20
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Is it the air in Spokane? Or something in the water?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2018, 04:25 AM   #21
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

That document explains some things, like for example how the extreme right understands the word "Tyranny". They think it means "to rule without god", which of course it doesn't. That, in turn, explains why it was so important to label Obama as a communist/atheist/muslim, all in order to be able to call him a tyrant.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2018, 06:01 AM   #22
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
More like ISIS- they want to set up a Christian Identity "nation" in the Pacific northwest...
Yeah the article also touches on The American Redoubt, an effort to establish Christopia in the pacific northwest.
Old 3rd November 2018, 06:37 AM   #23
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Yeah the article also touches on The American Redoubt, an effort to establish Christopia in the pacific northwest.
Yea, good luck with that one. Washington State is one of the least Christian, least religious places in the country. I knew this guy was from Eastern Washington. It's a very rural part of Spokane County. The guy is a whackadoodle...pulled a gun on another motorist a few years back.
Old 3rd November 2018, 07:45 AM   #24
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
.... Put in something about redistributing the wealth (although they sort of cover that with their privateering licenses for spoils of war) and you've got Jim Jones. Pol Pot?
It has that covered under spoils of war.

Quote:
ETA: That appears to be a Spokane area newspaper site? They just published this manifesto with no commentary?
If you search for the word shea you will see several articles about him at Spokesman.com .
Old 3rd November 2018, 11:48 AM   #25
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Yea, good luck with that one. Washington State is one of the least Christian, least religious places in the country. I knew this guy was from Eastern Washington. It's a very rural part of Spokane County. The guy is a whackadoodle...pulled a gun on another motorist a few years back.

That whole region there, eastern Washington, northern Idaho, western Montana, it's all a hotbed of white nationalists and anti-government militias, with strong Dominionist Christian and Mormon religious ties.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2018, 12:07 PM   #26
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
That whole region there, eastern Washington, northern Idaho, western Montana, it's all a hotbed of white nationalists and anti-government militias, with strong Dominionist Christian and Mormon religious ties.
Absolutely. My parents retired in Spokane and my sister lived there after returning from working in Saudi Arabia. They lasted about 3 years before moving to Portland. They couldn't stand it anymore.

My Mormon aunt, uncle and cousins lived in Belgrade, MT where Trump is right now for a rally. We used to visit there quite often to see them. VERY white, religious, and conservative. I remember my uncle saying that only "whores" wear makeup when my 15 yr. old cousin tried some of my eye shadow.

Another friend we knew when we lived in California moved to northern Idaho several years ago. We hardly recognize him anymore he's become so conservative.

Western Washington and Oregon have the most population which tends to be Democrats which is why the states almost always goes blue. But the eastern parts of the states are more rural and are more red.
Old 3rd November 2018, 01:46 PM   #27
crescent
Illuminator

People don't often realize how different some parts of states can be from others. California is blue, but the deserts of South eastern and central eastern California are as red as it gets. Crazy, arch-conservative red in the state that is often used as the example of liberalism.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2018, 08:51 PM   #28
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
My Mormon aunt, uncle and cousins lived in Belgrade, MT where Trump is right now for a rally. We used to visit there quite often to see them. VERY white, religious, and conservative. I remember my uncle saying that only "whores" wear makeup when my 15 yr. old cousin tried some of my eye shadow.
Bozeman too liberal for him? It's only a few miles away, and where I went to college. Oh, wait, I remember: That's where the airport is.
Not far from Belgrade is Manhattan, and near there is Amsterdam. Which has two Dutch Reformed churches for only a few hundred people. Voted nearly 100% for George Wallace in 1968.
Old 4th November 2018, 01:47 AM   #29
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Bozeman too liberal for him? It's only a few miles away, and where I went to college. Oh, wait, I remember: That's where the airport is.
Not far from Belgrade is Manhattan, and near there is Amsterdam. Which has two Dutch Reformed churches for only a few hundred people. Voted nearly 100% for George Wallace in 1968.
I've been to Bozeman several times years ago. My dad was Montana born and raised down to the cowboy boots, plaid shirts, and belt buckle.

My sister went to MSU, Bozeman. Coming from S. California, she damn near froze to death that first winter. Learned the hard way she couldn't go out with damp hair in the winter; it froze.
Old 4th November 2018, 08:36 PM   #30
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Or invited to dinner at the White House.

Quite likely. Trump is just surrounded by advisers just waiting to wage wholesale genocide.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 10:28 PM   #31
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
That is probably giving this nutjob way too much credit.
It he ones who are more subtle about it we have to be concerned about.
"Nutjob" is a colloquial epithet. But it really does raise the question: At what point does an extreme religious belief become a true psychiatric disorder? I would say that point is way before someone starts advocating mass murder in defense of his religious beliefs. Why isn't this guy subject to involuntary commitment as an imminent threat to himself and/or others?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 10:53 PM   #32
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
"Nutjob" is a colloquial epithet. But it really does raise the question: At what point does an extreme religious belief become a true psychiatric disorder? I would say that point is way before someone starts advocating mass murder in defense of his religious beliefs. Why isn't this guy subject to involuntary commitment as an imminent threat to himself and/or others?
Because his president, who is in worse condition still, hasn't been.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 11:09 PM   #33
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Didn't the guy swear to uphold the Constitution?
This is a clear violation of that oath m
Old 5th November 2018, 11:18 PM   #34
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Quite likely. Trump is just surrounded by advisers just waiting to wage wholesale genocide.
We can only hope.

As for the OP, it's once again that hardy perennial, the obscure Republican state legislator that says something stupid. I kinda wish there was some news aggregator out there tracking the dumb things obscure Democrats say. No, actually I don't care what some legislator in Rhode Island or Massachusetts says.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 01:41 AM   #35
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
We can only hope.

As for the OP, it's once again that hardy perennial, the obscure Republican state legislator that says something stupid. I kinda wish there was some news aggregator out there tracking the dumb things obscure Democrats say. No, actually I don't care what some legislator in Rhode Island or Massachusetts says.
You must have Slings and Arrows on ignore.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 02:22 AM   #36
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

I mentioned this guy in the mid-term thread. It seems Spokane is a hot-bed of neo-Nazism. I'll be interested in Baylor's thoughts (those aren't words I ever expected to type).
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 02:29 AM   #37
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

We can only hope.

It just seems these obscure guys constitute a significant portion of elected GOP officials.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 04:37 AM   #38
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
It just seems these obscure guys constitute a significant portion of elected GOP officials.
Yep. You can find the occasional avowed socialist on the Democratic downticket, but socialism is pretty much "revolutionary lite". You don't have any dedicated Pol Pot supporters, Maoist-Leninists, Fidelistas, etc... on the ballot. I mention those because they're extremes and their counterparts on the right ARE on the ballot, right there in the GOP column.

I mean, if we exclude anarchists who are on no side, those are about the most extremist positions. Left: Marxist(in some form) revolutionaries Right: Nazis and advocates of a white state taken by force if necessary. There are numerous of the latter running for office and holding Republican positions around the country. Not by implication or insinuation but by their own words and the tracts they send out to their supporters.

Old 6th November 2018, 07:11 AM   #39
Bob001
Philosopher

We can only hope.

It's not a matter of "saying something stupid." It's a matter of advocating the overthrow of the U.S. government by violence and murdering all opponents. You won't find too many elected Democrats taking positions like that. And this guy isn't just saying something stupid. He's attracting crowds of armed supporters. This guy has a following, and in the Age of Trump, it appears to be growing.

The core liberal/progressive belief is that America belongs to all Americans equally and government should serve all Americans equally. The right-wing divides America into Them vs. Us, and would use government against those it deems unworthy.

Last edited by Bob001; 6th November 2018 at 07:16 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2018, 07:21 AM   #40
Diablo
Muse

He obviously knows that what he's proposing isn't going to happen, so is he making some cash out of it or is it just an ego thing? Or is he a little bit crazy?
Diablo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics