ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , impeachment , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 26th November 2019, 09:09 PM   #3281
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Nice update for the clowns who still think this latest circus will lead to anything but whooosh-goes-the-boomerang: Hunting for Hunter: Evidence Reveals Biden, Burisma Ukraine Bond Scandal, Tied to U.S. Firm

Includes this fun item about the prosecutor general who followed the one Biden got fired by pressuring Porky with withholding aid, Lutsenko: Drunk Ukrainian politician detained at Frankfurt airport

Isn't there a thread for that crap? This one's about Trump's imminent impeachment.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2019, 09:12 PM   #3282
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz
Except that he could still just ignore the judgment. What is Congress going to do? Arrest the President?
I have read somewhere that the Sergeant at Arms of the United States Senate is responsible for enforcing the attendance of those summoned by the Senate.

Quote:
The Sergeant at Arms can, upon orders of the Senate, arrest and detain any person who violates Senate rules or is found in contempt of Congress.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergea..._States_Senate

Quote:
How is a contempt finding enforced?

The Supreme Court said in 1821 that Congress has “inherent authority” to arrest and detain recalcitrant witnesses.

In 1927, the high court said the Senate acted lawfully in sending its deputy sergeant-at-arms to Ohio to arrest and detain the brother of the then-attorney general, who had refused to testify about a bribery scheme known as the Teapot Dome scandal.

It has been almost a century since Congress exercised this arrest-and-detain authority, and the practice is unlikely to make a comeback, legal experts said.

Alternatively, Congress can ask the U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, a federal prosecutor, to bring criminal charges against a witness who refuses to appear. There is a criminal law that specifically prohibits flouting a congressional subpoena.

But this option is also unlikely to be pursued, at least when it comes to subpoenas against executive branch officials, given that federal prosecutors are part of the branch’s Justice Department.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1SC1YE
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2019, 09:23 PM   #3283
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Isn't there a thread for that crap? This one's about Trump's imminent impeachment.

aka "Ukrainegate" aka "we ****** it up again" aka "now they lock us up", Seger. Exactly the right place. Did you read 'till the end that now Ukrainian MPs are begging Trump to investigate? It will be a hilarious year, kids.
Old 26th November 2019, 09:31 PM   #3284
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Nice update for the clowns who still think this latest circus will lead to anything but whooosh-goes-the-boomerang: Hunting for Hunter: Evidence Reveals Biden, Burisma Ukraine Bond Scandal, Tied to U.S. Firm

Includes this fun item about the prosecutor general who followed the one Biden got fired by pressuring Porky with withholding aid, Lutsenko: Drunk Ukrainian politician detained at Frankfurt airport
First link is a spam site. Second link is to an article written over 10 years ago. I guess this is what Vladdy allows to be published as “news”.
Old 26th November 2019, 09:32 PM   #3285
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
...they rationalise away the fact that Trump cheats and lies etc, because ALL politicians cheat and lie.
That part doesn't belong with the rest of what you wrote. They think he's different from other politicians, so those accusations against him are false because they're just coming from his lying political enemies.

Keep in mind, none of this is about Trump himself at all; he just bumbled into an environment where that much of the populace already grew up hating politicians in general (especially Democrats) and would have fallen for anybody who they thought of as not a politician (especially not a Democrat).
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2019, 10:03 PM   #3286
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I have read somewhere that the Sergeant at Arms of the United States Senate is responsible for enforcing the attendance of those summoned by the Senate.
I bet he's currently studying up on the requirements and limits of his duties, big-time.
Old 26th November 2019, 11:04 PM   #3287
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Same question, then: how is that even possible? It impacts their lives, in the end, if government is not held accountable.

Because most people don't read much news, and they sure as heck don't go to political forums.

My parents don't know about Trump's offensive tweets, they know nothing about the impeachment hearings largely because they watch little news.

The other part of it is that they don't hang out here. I don't think most people really get into political discussions that go beyond the headlines.

I hear people at work etc whipping out talking points that have been debunked or are just stupid, stale, generic. Most of the time they repeat what they've heard and can offer no insight of their own because they have no clue.

My parents don't know who Jussie Smollet is either, so they must not even watch FOX. I thought everyone knew who he was. A lot of people do not. We take for granted that what we discuss here is important when much of it isn't.

That is one of my constant comments here - that a lot of these issues are manufactured by a very few people (some gender issues for example). Most people outside of the ISF do not care. they are not in the headlines and they are not widely discussed. Hey, my opinion.

We are a small minority. Even the worst skeptic at ISF has a better grasp on politics and world events than 99% of Americans.

You should see my parents face when I tell them about some of Trump's tweets. It's like "oh my gawd"...then, the blank look, "hmmm I dunno". I can see it in their face. But they listen too.

Of course my parents are in their seventies, maybe they don't care as much, but so are a lot of Americans. A whole lot of 'em.

I also think that after 3 years of Trump being constantly attacked, plus some of the other noise, that they don't try and sort out the garbage from the good stuff. Everyone has a complaint, everyone is outraged, so who do you believe?

I think this is all true for a lot of Americans. Your average person is not very politically literate so they don't pay much attention. They may think they do though.

Last edited by mgidm86; 26th November 2019 at 11:14 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2019, 11:20 PM   #3288
Crazy Chainsaw
Illuminator

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Because most people don't read much news, and they sure as heck don't go to political forums.

My parents don't know about Trump's offensive tweets, they know nothing about the impeachment hearings largely because they watch little news.

The other part of it is that they don't hang out here. I don't think most people really get into political discussions that go beyond the headlines.

I hear people at work etc whipping out talking points that have been debunked or are just stupid, stale, generic. Most of the time they repeat what they've heard and can offer no insight of their own because they have no clue.

My parents don't know who Jussie Smollet is either, so they must not even watch FOX. I thought everyone knew who he was. A lot of people do not.

We think what we discuss here is so important, yet most people don't know much about any of it. That is one of my constant comments here - that a lot of these issues are manufactured by a very few people (some gender issues for example). Most people outside of the ISF do not care. they are not in the headlines and they are not widely discussed. Hey, my opinion.

We are a small minority. Even the worst skeptic at ISF has a better grasp on politics and world events than 99% of Americans.

You should see my parents face when I tell them about some of Trump's tweets. It's like "oh my gawd...then, hmmm I dunno" I can see it in their face. But they listen too.

Of course my parents are in their seventies but so are a lot of Americans. A whole lot of 'em.

I also think that after 3 years of Trump being constantly attacked that they don't try and sort out the noise from the good stuff. Everyone has a complaint, everyone is outraged, so who do you believe?

I think this is all true for a lot of Americans. Your average person is not very politically literate so they don't pay much attention. They may think they do though.
It is basically a result of information burn out, with a lot of deep pesudo Religious devotion, mixed in.
Look at all the people who bought into Birtherism, even though for someone like myself who knows about early Computing Birtherism was nuts from the start.
Because they got everything Technologically wrong.
Magnetic tapes once encoded were not shipped much between Computers, the transcripted cards were. Such as the IBM cards used to encode Barrack Obama's Birth Certificate in 1961. But I have actually studied Anchent computer systems from Japanese purple machines, Univac, IBM and Rand punch card tabulars and others.
Not many people have that knowledge.

Last edited by Crazy Chainsaw; 26th November 2019 at 11:21 PM.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th November 2019, 11:28 PM   #3289
Crazy Chainsaw
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
That part doesn't belong with the rest of what you wrote. They think he's different from other politicians, so those accusations against him are false because they're just coming from his lying political enemies.

Keep in mind, none of this is about Trump himself at all; he just bumbled into an environment where that much of the populace already grew up hating politicians in general (especially Democrats) and would have fallen for anybody who they thought of as not a politician (especially not a Democrat).
Actually it's the result of Propoganda they have been feed for years simular to the war on Islam Propoganda of the early 9/11Truth movement.
What we are seeing is the Result of years of the war on Christianity Propoganda Evangelicals combined with the war on Catholics movement, and the war on the unborn movement.
All combining to install an idiot as a dictator.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 03:21 AM   #3290
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Really? You can't understand how Trump supporters don't care?
Right, I don't. It's outside of my understanding of the world.

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
You know what they say, perception is key. If they don't perceive that the impact on their lives is negative, then what's the problem? As some have pointed out, a lot of these people are just happy with a "pwning of the libz". They view this more as Trump making people mad because he's so awesome, and now they're (teh libz) are trying to exact their revenge.
It's truths like this one that put cracks in my faith in democracy.

Mod InfoThread closed for length, continues here.
Posted By:zooterkin

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Last edited by zooterkin; 27th November 2019 at 09:13 AM.
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics