ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Elijah Cummings , racism charges , racism issues

Old 16th September 2019, 07:09 AM   #361
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by tanabear View Post
Crime was out of control in New York City when Rudy Giuliani was elected in 1993. Giuliani and Bloomberg brought the number of murders down from over 2,000 to less than 400 a year. This is a remarkable turnaround. Other cities should figure out what they did and learn from it. I believe the clearance for murder in NYC is around 75%. That is better than the national average and certainly better than many big cities.
Crime in cities dropped dramatically after 1990 for most cities as the children of Baby Boomer suburbanites found cities far more lively and entertaining than the sterile, mall-oriented suburbs.

Crime in NYC had already started to drop during Dinkin's tenure, and he had initiated several anti-crime projects. He was limited, however, by a riot of racist cops
who were led by Guliani. But the crime rate was starting to go down already. This trend did happen in most other cities albeit not to the extent that it happened in NYC.

However, before we go gushing on anything regarding NYC crime rate, note that the Cost of Living in that city is ludicrous. That has the effect of pushing lower-income people away. Its not really a crime solution.

Your claims and simplistic answers fall flat again.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 03:49 PM   #362
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
I don’t recall claiming that Thomas Sowell is a white supremacist.

But the guy tanabear quoted in the OP certainly is.

Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 12
Where did tanabear "quote" a white supremacist in the OP?

Last edited by kmortis; 26th September 2019 at 05:39 AM.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 07:06 PM   #363
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Where did tanabear "quote" a white supremacist in the OP?
Post 16 explains it.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 09:14 PM   #364
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Post 16 explains it.
That's what I thought. When Mr. Karate said that the OP "referenced" a white supremacist, I was going say something but didn't. Now that's it's into "quoting" a white supremacist, I can't remain silent. Using a phrase that somebody else uses isn't referencing or quoting that person.

Silly skeptics.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 05:58 AM   #365
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

That's what I thought. When Mr. Karate said that the OP "referenced" a white supremacist, I was going say something but didn't. Now that's it's into "quoting" a white supremacist, I can't remain silent. Using a phrase that somebody else uses isn't referencing or quoting that person.

Silly skeptics.
In the context of urban violent crime, what do the use of the terms "the Ferguson Effect", "the BLM Effect", and "Late Obama Age Collapse" seem to suggest about the issue?

Silly apologist for not-even-thinly-veiled-bigotry.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 08:56 AM   #366
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Using a phrase that somebody else uses isn't referencing or quoting that person.
It is when they coin the phrase.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 06:37 PM   #367
tanabear
Critical Thinker

Yes, maybe for the sake of expediency, you should just directly cite the work of the white supremacist from whom youíre cribbing.
I wasn't citing the work of Steve Sailer at all in my post regarding the clearance rate for murder. I pulled the data and articles from the Chicago Sun Times and the Baltimore Sun. Are those "white supremacist" publications?

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
I've asked the "racial harassment" theorists why black crime rate goes down when blacks are in closer proximity to whites and I have yet to get a reply. You need to understand these people are happy living in their DailyBeast/Vox fantasy land. How the world works is not something that interests them.
The Leftist media exists in part to sanitize reality for their liberal viewers and readers. Leftist policy has been an absolute disaster for our once great American cities, but you would never know this if you only read a bunch of liberal rags, like the New York Times or Puffed Ho. Prolonged exposure to Liberalism really does induce a kind of psychosis in which people can no longer see the world as it is. Just look at the antics that occur on any college campus today and you can see that liberalism truly is a mental disorder.

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
There's a white supremacist in the highest office in the US, and many in control of state governments, as of today. Do you know how much funding is set by state and federal governments?

Do you understand anything about how the US operates?
Okay, but the murder rate in the US increased over 20% between 2014 and 2016. The murder rate jumped 57% in 2016 in Chicago alone. All of this occurred under a black liberal President and Democratic mayors. So yes, I know how the US operates, Leftist Democrats come to power and our cities turn into hell-holes.

p.s. And if "white supremacy" causes a high black crime rate then why did the black murder rate go down in the 1940s and 1950s?

Crime in cities dropped dramatically after 1990 for most cities as the children of Baby Boomer suburbanites found cities far more lively and entertaining than the sterile, mall-oriented suburbs..
The crime and murder rate dropped in the 1990s as the US prison population soared. However, the crime rate drop in New York City was particularly dramatic. Chicago with a population under 3 million and Baltimore with a population under a million, will often have more murders than NYC, a city with a population over 8 million. These variances cannot be explained by the living habits of Baby Boomer children.

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
In the context of urban violent crime, what do the use of the terms "the Ferguson Effect", "the BLM Effect", and "Late Obama Age Collapse" seem to suggest about the issue?

Silly apologist for not-even-thinly-veiled-bigotry.
It suggests that Black Lives Matter and their anti-police attitudes and policies lead to a sharp spike in the murder rate between 2014 and 2016. The Left does not like these terms because it describers a reality they are trying to keep hidden from the people.

Undesired Walrus: "Why, Ron, Mark mentioned this on your very own show!"
tanabear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 07:15 PM   #368
Baylor
Suspended

The Leftist media exists in part to sanitize reality for their liberal viewers and readers.
The Liberal media also exists to gaslight its readers. It tells its readers that their day-to-day reality is an illusion. The bugman in Manhattan writing for these rags alone has the truth. Bringing in millions of people from all parts of the third world to live in your cities is nothing but a blessing. If you don't see that, you're defective somehow i.e. "racist," "bigot."

It seems particularly effective at brainwashing non-Americans.
Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 12

Last edited by kmortis; 26th September 2019 at 05:41 AM.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 07:24 PM   #369
Mumbles
Philosopher

It suggests that Black Lives Matter and their anti-police attitudes and policies lead to a sharp spike in the murder rate between 2014 and 2016. The Left does not like these terms because it describers a reality they are trying to keep hidden from the people.
Of course, it could also suggest that high-profile, unjustified police shootings cause people to lose confidence in police, and to take matters into their own hands.

I'll just link to this book here.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 07:39 PM   #370
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
The Liberal media also exists to gaslight its readers. It tells its readers that their day-to-day reality is an illusion. The bugman in Manhattan writing for these rags alone has the truth. Bringing in millions of people from all parts of the third world to live in your cities is nothing but a blessing. If you don't see that, you're defective somehow i.e. "racist," "bigot."
If you don't know where the millions of people already living in "your cities" came from, you're defective somehow, i.e. pretty ignorant.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 07:46 AM   #371
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

The crime and murder rate dropped in the 1990s as the US prison population soared. However, the crime rate drop in New York City was particularly dramatic. Chicago with a population under 3 million and Baltimore with a population under a million, will often have more murders than NYC, a city with a population over 8 million. These variances cannot be explained by the living habits of Baby Boomer children.
This paragraph alone shows that you never lived in a city, let alone one that underwent a renaissance in the early 90s. Things went from "roll up the sidewalks at 5PM" to "holy crap where did all these people come from?!". This was because people were finding cities to be entertaining places to visit but also live.

NYC, always more expensive than other East Coast cities, quickly rose to the level where a person making 6 figures could struggle to make ends meet. This does have the effect lowering crime, but its a rather harsh way to do it.

That is a major reason crime dropped further in NYC. There are other causes, of course, its never as simple as one reason.

Old 22nd September 2019, 07:50 AM   #372
Cainkane1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
You forgot "by Nazis and other white nationalists" at the end of that sentence.
I doubt seriously if those tiny, marginal ineffective groups had any effect on the murder rate.
Cainkane1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 07:55 AM   #373
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
I doubt seriously if those tiny, marginal ineffective groups had any effect on the murder rate.
He was saying those are the ones who have come up with dog whistle terms.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 07:55 AM   #374
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Okay, but the murder rate in the US increased over 20% between 2014 and 2016. The murder rate jumped 57% in 2016 in Chicago alone.
This is pure lying with statistics. Crime went from an all time low of 4.4 per 100,000 to 5.3 in 2016. This number would still be lower than any murder rate measured during the Bush II administration.

Source

Quote:
All of this occurred under a black liberal President and Democratic mayors. So yes, I know how the US operates, Leftist Democrats come to power and our cities turn into hell-holes.
Even cities suffering spikes in crime are not 'hell-holes', especially compared to previous eras in their history.

Quote:
p.s. And if "white supremacy" causes a high black crime rate then why did the black murder rate go down in the 1940s and 1950s?
A better question would be: Why was it higher before then? But I think a little thing called WW2 might have some impact on your stats for those eras.

Old 22nd September 2019, 08:58 AM   #375
Mumbles
Philosopher

This is pure lying with statistics. Crime went from an all time low of 4.4 per 100,000 to 5.3 in 2016. This number would still be lower than any murder rate measured during the Bush II administration.

Source

Even cities suffering spikes in crime are not 'hell-holes', especially compared to previous eras in their history.
Yup. There's a reason why the Crack Era of the 80s and early 90s is the most notorious period for murders, while apart from a few cities, this year simply...isn't.

Quote:
A better question would be: Why was it higher before then? But I think a little thing called WW2 might have some impact on your stats for those eras.
I'd also suggest that murder stats from that time - particularly for nonwhite Americans, are questionable at best - much like FBI police shooting stats are today.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 09:08 AM   #376
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

I wasn't citing the work of Steve Sailer at all in my post regarding the clearance rate for murder. I pulled the data and articles from the Chicago Sun Times and the Baltimore Sun. Are those "white supremacist" publications?
You started this thread by quoting white supremacist Steve Sailer.

You’ve made more than one argument that bears a striking similarity to arguments that white supremacist Steve Sailer has made.

It’s weird that you keep denying it.

If you believe in the legitimacy of these arguments, why should it matter to you if they happen to promote white supremacy?

Aren’t you proud of the superiority of your race?

Last edited by johnny karate; 22nd September 2019 at 09:17 AM.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 09:09 AM   #377
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
He was saying those are the ones who have come up with dog whistle terms.
The "ferguson effect", in particular, was pure speculation from noted racist cop defender Heather Mac Donald, who said without evidence that police simply refused to do their jobs because of those mean Black Lives Matter protestors marching around.

The fact that Ferguson's PD was an outright white supremacist group that levied heavy fines on black residents while handwaving much worse crimes by white residents, in order to effectively transfer wealth from black residents to city coffers to be spent in white neighborhoods did not seem to factor into her speculation.

The fact that Ferguson PD showed the exact attitude discussed in the book I linked to above - namely, tear-gassing, menacing, and threatening mourners and protestors for a year, but somehow being entirely absent when actual crimes were being committed (shops were instead protected by the supposedly evil protestors) also did not factor into her speculation.
Old 22nd September 2019, 10:44 AM   #378
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Just gonna drop this here for a factor repeatedly ignored, I think, by the resident racists.

Lead and Crime
Old 22nd September 2019, 10:53 AM   #379
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Just gonna drop this here for a factor repeatedly ignored, I think, by the resident racists.

Lead and Crime
I'm not sure how relevant that is. It mostly talks about lead from gasoline, but that change happened a long time ago. Most crime today is not committed by people exposed to any significant amount of lead from gasoline. Some sources of lead paint persist, but your source doesn't tell us how much that affects crime rates in places like Baltimore versus anywhere else. And I don't see how it can explain any recent increase in crime rates either.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 10:57 AM   #380
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I'm not sure how relevant that is. It mostly talks about lead from gasoline, but that change happened a long time ago. Most crime today is not committed by people exposed to any significant amount of lead from gasoline. Some sources of lead paint persist, but your source doesn't tell us how much that affects crime rates in places like Baltimore versus anywhere else. And I don't see how it can explain any recent increase in crime rates either.
Do you think lead is no longer a threat?

ETA:also this.

Plus remember, lead effects are maximum on developing brains. How was environmental lead 15-20 years ago? And how has the increase in crime from lead, maximized in urban areas, effected perceptions of people and police of black people? And how are perceptions maximized by social media?

Last edited by LSSBB; 22nd September 2019 at 11:05 AM.
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 11:54 AM   #381
Mumbles
Philosopher

Plus remember, lead effects are maximum on developing brains. How was environmental lead 15-20 years ago? And how has the increase in crime from lead, maximized in urban areas, effected perceptions of people and police of black people? And how are perceptions maximized by social media?
Lead levels, to the *building* can be traced to increased crime rates among those who grew up in these buildings. And fun fact: Freddie Grey had severe lead poisoning - double the amount that the state of Maryland considers enough to effect development. This, plus the well-documented aggressive policing, is what likely led to his arrest record.

Still not a reason to give him a rough ride without strapping him into a seat, though.
Old 22nd September 2019, 12:40 PM   #382
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Lead levels, to the *building* can be traced to increased crime rates among those who grew up in these buildings. And fun fact: Freddie Grey had severe lead poisoning - double the amount that the state of Maryland considers enough to effect development. This, plus the well-documented aggressive policing, is what likely led to his arrest record.

Still not a reason to give him a rough ride without strapping him into a seat, though.
Thanks, lead to the building / within the building was another thing I was curious about, I just needed a reference and I was busy with other things.
Old 22nd September 2019, 01:01 PM   #383
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Do you think lead is no longer a threat?
No, I didn't say that. It's certainly less of a threat than it was when we used leaded gasoline, but I'm not arguing none.

Quote:
Plus remember, lead effects are maximum on developing brains. How was environmental lead 15-20 years ago?
From gas, largely eliminated. From lead paint, I don't know. Your source doesn't really say. But it seems unlikely that it spiked during that period, so I don't see how lead explains the post-2015 increase in crime in Baltimore, even if it contributes to the elevated starting point.

Quote:
And how has the increase in crime from lead, maximized in urban areas, effected perceptions of people and police of black people? And how are perceptions maximized by social media?
I don't know. Your source doesn't say.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 01:55 PM   #384
Mumbles
Philosopher

Thanks, lead to the building / within the building was another thing I was curious about, I just needed a reference and I was busy with other things.
I recall Michael Wood Jr. Saying it a couple of times, and found a source or two, but don't remember what search terms I used.

Hate when that happens.
Old 22nd September 2019, 02:47 PM   #385
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

No, I didn't say that. It's certainly less of a threat than it was when we used leaded gasoline, but I'm not arguing none.

From gas, largely eliminated. From lead paint, I don't know. Your source doesn't really say. But it seems unlikely that it spiked during that period, so I don't see how lead explains the post-2015 increase in crime in Baltimore, even if it contributes to the elevated starting point.

I don't know. Your source doesn't say.
Well, since my "source" was provided as a counter that any recent increase is because of "race", it still stands for that purpose. Has the race of Baltimore's inhabitants changed since 2015?
Old 22nd September 2019, 02:58 PM   #386
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Well, since my "source" was provided as a counter that any recent increase is because of "race", it still stands for that purpose. Has the race of Baltimore's inhabitants changed since 2015?
You're correct that the race of Baltimore's inhabitants did not significantly change around 2015 (or ~20 years prior), and so is an inadequate explanation for the increased crime rate. But lead levels suffer the same inadequacy as an explanation. How can one inadequate explanation counter another inadequate explanation? That doesn't make sense. The inadequacy of either explanation remains inadequate on its own, they don't refute each other.
Old 22nd September 2019, 03:29 PM   #387
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

You're correct that the race of Baltimore's inhabitants did not significantly change around 2015 (or ~20 years prior), and so is an inadequate explanation for the increased crime rate. But lead levels suffer the same inadequacy as an explanation. How can one inadequate explanation counter another inadequate explanation? That doesn't make sense. The inadequacy of either explanation remains inadequate on its own, they don't refute each other.
It counters by showing the irrationality of using a superficial factor such as race as a basis for pointing fingers with regard to crime.

And by the way, with regards to lead in pipes, an article in the Chicago Tribune today covers the fact that millions of US homes have lead pipes - today. Since there is no comprehensive national database of homes with lead pipes, nor when those houses may be rehabbed, who lives in them, and how fast and where they corrode,can lead be so easily discounted in even explaining recent rises in crime?
Old 22nd September 2019, 03:58 PM   #388
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

I've attached my copy of the Chicago Tribune article. I couldn't find a link.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190922_180016.jpg (111.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 22nd September 2019, 04:36 PM   #389
Mumbles
Philosopher

Lemme help you out a little.

Here's a basic discussion.

THis medium.com article (yes, I know) includes a map of lead paint violations and oh would you look at that, they're almost entirely in black neighborhoods in the city.

And of course, since there hasn't actually been any massive surge in murders or violent crime, any actual need to explain is rather questionable.
Old 22nd September 2019, 09:11 PM   #390
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Lemme help you out a little.

Here's a basic discussion.

THis medium.com article (yes, I know) includes a map of lead paint violations and oh would you look at that, they're almost entirely in black neighborhoods in the city.

And of course, since there hasn't actually been any massive surge in murders or violent crime, any actual need to explain is rather questionable.
I don't know what you consider "massive", but from 2011 to 2014, the average number of murders per year in Baltimore was 2014.5 (min 196, max 233). From 2015 to 2018, the average was 328.5 (min 309, max 344) (source). That seems like a significant increase, even if you don't want to use the word "massive". Lead doesn't explain the increase. I don't think race does either, in case that wasn't clear. But there was definitely an increase, and I think an explanation is warranted.
Old 22nd September 2019, 09:13 PM   #391
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

It counters by showing the irrationality of using a superficial factor such as race as a basis for pointing fingers with regard to crime.

And by the way, with regards to lead in pipes, an article in the Chicago Tribune today covers the fact that millions of US homes have lead pipes - today. Since there is no comprehensive national database of homes with lead pipes, nor when those houses may be rehabbed, who lives in them, and how fast and where they corrode,can lead be so easily discounted in even explaining recent rises in crime?
As a contributing factor to widespread gradual increases? No, it shouldn't be dismissed out of hand, though testing might disprove it. To explain a step-like change in one city? That's... not very plausible.
Old 22nd September 2019, 09:22 PM   #392
Elagabalus
Illuminator

I wasn't citing the work of Steve Sailer at all in my post regarding the clearance rate for murder. I pulled the data...
From my arse... FTFY
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 09:40 PM   #393
Mumbles
Philosopher

I don't know what you consider "massive", but from 2011 to 2014, the average number of murders per year in Baltimore was 2014.5 (min 196, max 233). From 2015 to 2018, the average was 328.5 (min 309, max 344) (source). That seems like a significant increase, even if you don't want to use the word "massive". Lead doesn't explain the increase. I don't think race does either, in case that wasn't clear. But there was definitely an increase, and I think an explanation is warranted.
Considering:

1) the OP, and you, have given no data at all on the population;
2) the BPD have gone through multiple high-profile scandals (the death of Freddie Gray, the sparking of a riot on the day of Gray's funeral, several cops caught planting evidence, the federal convictions of the Gun Trace Task Force), and;
3) the overall lack of government support both for the police force (which is undermanned due to the above), and for violent crime prosecutions,

I see no need to place blame for any increase on either lead or especially nonviolent protests. The question was "is lead poisoning still an issue?" and the answer is "yes".
Old 22nd September 2019, 10:06 PM   #394
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

You started this thread by quoting white supremacist Steve Sailer.

Youíve made more than one argument that bears a striking similarity to arguments that white supremacist Steve Sailer has made.

Itís weird that you keep denying it.

If you believe in the legitimacy of these arguments, why should it matter to you if they happen to promote white supremacy?

Arenít you proud of the superiority of your race?
Using a phrase that was used by another person isn't the same thing as....never mind. Let's pretend you're right. The OP quoted Steve Sailor and Steve Sailor is a white supremacist who burns crosses on his lawn and makes soap out of dead Jews. You're right and everything you say is true

The thing is, it doesn't matter if Steve Sailor is a white supremacist. He's not. But that doesn't matter either. All that matters for our purposes is, is he right?
Old 22nd September 2019, 10:44 PM   #395
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Considering:

1) the OP, and you, have given no data at all on the population;
2) the BPD have gone through multiple high-profile scandals (the death of Freddie Gray, the sparking of a riot on the day of Gray's funeral, several cops caught planting evidence, the federal convictions of the Gun Trace Task Force), and;
3) the overall lack of government support both for the police force (which is undermanned due to the above), and for violent crime prosecutions,

I see no need to place blame for any increase on either lead or especially nonviolent protests. The question was "is lead poisoning still an issue?" and the answer is "yes".
You seem to be arguing against someone other than me. I never said lead poisoning wasnít an issue. But it doesnít explain the jump in crime. Yes, the BDP scandals probably have a lot to do with the jump. Iím not suggesting otherwise. Same with your #3. Iím not sure why you are trying to hammer me regarding data, since I backed up the only data-dependent claim I made with data.
Old 22nd September 2019, 10:54 PM   #396
Elagabalus
Illuminator

...The thing is, it doesn't matter if Steve Sailor is a white supremacist. He's not. But that doesn't matter either. All that matters for our purposes is, is he right?
No, he is not. He doesn't even try to make sense.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 12:38 AM   #397
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

It's been sometime since the president raised the issue of crime in Baltimore as a national concern, what actions has he taken to deal with his problem?
Old 23rd September 2019, 12:52 AM   #398
Bob001
Philosopher

Your own link included a perfectly plausible explanation:
Quote:
In an interview in The Guardian, on November 2, 2017,[15] David Simon, himself a former The Baltimore Sun police reporter, ascribed the most recent surge in murders to the high-profile decision by Baltimore state's attorney, Marilyn Mosby, to charge six city police officers following the death of Freddie Gray after he fell into a coma while in police custody in April 2015. "What Mosby basically did was send a message to the Baltimore police department: 'I'm going to put you in jail for making a bad arrest.' So officers figured it out: 'I can go to jail for making the wrong arrest, so I'm not getting out of my car to clear a corner,' and that's exactly what happened post-Freddie Gray." In Baltimore arrest numbers have plummeted from more than 40,000 in 2014, the year before Freddie Gray's death and the subsequent charges against the officers, to about 18,000 as of November 1, 2017. This happened even as homicides soared from 211 in 2014 to 344 in 2015 Ė an increase of 63%.[16]
So the cops are arresting dramatically fewer people and generally cutting back on aggressive police work. So more criminals are on the streets with less fear of getting caught. Seems like that explains a lot.

Seems like there could be some middle ground between police brutality and outright retreat.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 04:26 AM   #399
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It's been sometime since the president raised the issue of crime in Baltimore as a national concern, what actions has he taken to deal with his problem?
Of course, it was never, ever a real national concern at all (and even if it was, Trump cares for no-one but himself, so he wouldn't give a flying **** anyway).

No, what it really was, was a means of attempting to score political points against his enemy; an attempt that failed miserably.

Last edited by smartcooky; 23rd September 2019 at 04:46 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 04:36 AM   #400
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Nothing at all - although he *has* proposed budgets that would make things in every US city dramatically worse, of course, along with a full-scale retreat from any police oversight, which, as you can imagine, allows them to run wild and terrorize civilians - thus discouraging them further from actually working with cops.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics