ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 4th November 2019, 05:18 AM   #121
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Trump gets more pathetic every day.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 05:21 AM   #122
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Why do I get the feeling that every President from here on out is going to be impeached as a matter of course?
I wonder if this would really be such a problem: for one, there is a VP.
And secondly, this would give the party in the WH a boost in the midterms.
Old 4th November 2019, 06:03 AM   #123
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Trump Retweeted
Mark R. Levin
@marklevinshow
Elizabeth Warren would destroy jobs and the middle class. If elected she must be impeached.
Why do I get the feeling that every President from here on out is going to be impeached as a matter of course?
If elected she must be impeached. Lewis Carroll couldn't have expressed it any better.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 06:11 AM   #124
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
If elected she must be impeached. Lewis Carroll couldn't have expressed it any better.
The US could save valuable time by pre-impeaching her.
Old 4th November 2019, 06:23 AM   #125
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

It's what Republicans want people to feel.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 06:25 AM   #126
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Mark Levin, a great lawyer and scholar, said last night on his @marklevinshow, that all you have to do is read the transcript of the call, you do not need Never Trumpers or other witnesses to say what it means or says. It is plainly and very well stated for all to see. Witch Hunt

What I said on the phone call with the Ukrainian President is “perfectly” stated. There is no reason to call witnesses to analyze my words and meaning. This is just another Democrat Hoax that I have had to live with from the day I got elected (and before!). Disgraceful!

The Whistleblower gave false information & dealt with corrupt politician Schiff. He must be brought forward to testify. Written answers not acceptable! Where is the 2nd Whistleblower? He disappeared after I released the transcript. Does he even exist? Where is the informant? Con!

“There is no Whistleblower. There is someone with an agenda against Donald Trump. What he was blowing the whistle on didn’t happen. We have the transcript of the call. This is all a farce and no Republican should forget that.”
@dbongino @foxandfriends
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 06:27 AM   #127
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted

Great! But how do you know it was a “mistweet?” May be something with deep meaning!

Mitch Roschelle
@Mitch_Roschelle
#Covfefe twitter.com/dailycaller/st…

A horse named “Covfefe” won a Breeder’s Cup event at Santa Anita today. Named after President Trump’s famous mistweet, she has now won six of her first eight races.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 06:28 AM   #128
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Interesting that Trump is turning his guns on Warren. Is he starting to realize she's a serious threat?
Old 4th November 2019, 06:28 AM   #129
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Trump Retweeted Mark R. Levin...If elected she must be impeached.
More words of wisdom from Mark. This was an on-the-air comment he made last month:
Quote:
“But I will say this about our president,” the pro-Trump host continued: “While he’s been president there hasn’t even been a hint of scandal. Not a hint!” Link
Naturally he's a regular on Fox News.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 06:43 AM   #130
Armitage72
Illuminator

When talk of impeachment first started, Trump said that if it happened, then in the future every President would face impeachment if their Party didn't control the House. He phrased it as a warning then. It's only more recently that he's turned it into a threat.
"If I get impeached, what's to stop it from happening again?"
vs.
"If I get impeached, we'll do it next."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 06:47 AM   #131
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
OK, here's an example of an ad using Trump's words against him:

Show clips of Trump with all his comments about how you can't get over his big beautiful wall juxtaposed with people climbing over and cutting through the wall.

It could end with some stats about tax dollars spent on the wall vs how effective other methods have been.

Trump is now dismissing the reports of people cutting through the wall, saying "you can cut through any wall" and "it’s very easily fixed".

Quote:
The Washington Post published a report on Saturday revealing how smugglers in Mexico have been getting past Trump’s billion-dollar border wall through comically simple means, such as makeshift ladders and electric saws anyone can buy at their local Home Depot.
But when confronted with the failure of his prized project, Trump merely shrugged it off.
“We have a very powerful wall,” Trump told reporters on Saturday. “But no matter how powerful, you can cut through anything, in all fairness.”
He claimed the breaches could be “easily fixed.”
“One of the reasons we did it the way we did it, it’s very easily fixed,” Trump said. “You put the chunk back in. But we have a very powerful wall.”
“But you can cut through any wall,” he added.

That's why we built it that way. I'm picturing Pee Wee Herman, "I meant to do that."
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 06:52 AM   #132
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
It's what Republicans want people to feel.
Exactly. The implication is that the current impeachment process is based on nothing but hate for Trump. That this is patently false doesn't matter a bit if one's reality is shaped by Trump tweets and Fox News.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 06:54 AM   #133
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
...“There is no Whistleblower. There is someone with an agenda against Donald Trump. What he was blowing the whistle on didn’t happen. We have the transcript of the call. This is all a farce and no Republican should forget that.”
@dbongino @foxandfriends
Dan have you ever watched the movies Silkwood and Erin Brockovich? If you haven't you should.
Old 4th November 2019, 07:07 AM   #134
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

We won’t Steve!

The Next Revolution
@NextRevFNC
@SteveHiltonx: This whole impeachment thing - it is truly the system striking back and trying to cancel the populist revolution. We must not let them.
I Steved yesterday, and I'm going to Steve again today. I like to Steve a lot, although my doctor says I shouldn't Steve so much. It's your choice as to whether you Steve or not.

(eta)
That Tweet seems to have been taken down. Maybe to add a comma? I don't see a replacement yet, either. If so, I'd find it very odd to make this correction among the many much more egregious ones.
Old 4th November 2019, 07:52 AM   #135
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I Steved yesterday, and I'm going to Steve again today. I like to Steve a lot, although my doctor says I shouldn't Steve so much. It's your choice as to whether you Steve or not.

(eta)
That Tweet seems to have been taken down. Maybe to add a comma? I don't see a replacement yet, either. If so, I'd find it very odd to make this correction among the many much more egregious ones.
Steveing is a fine way to spend time. The best!
Old 4th November 2019, 07:54 AM   #136
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Many people say they know me, claiming to be “best friends” and really close etc., when I don’t know these people at all. This happens, I suppose, to all who become President. With that being stated, I don’t know, to the best of my knowledge, a man named Michael Esposito.....

....I don’t like him using my name to build his consulting company, or whatever. Please advise his clients and Administration officials accordingly.
Old 4th November 2019, 07:56 AM   #137
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Trump talking about Covfefe.
Trump Tweeted

Great! But how do you know it was a “mistweet?” May be something with deep meaning!
Oh, come on!
We are supposed to pretend that this guy is not suffering from a mental disorder or from mental degradation!?
Old 4th November 2019, 09:19 AM   #138
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

(article about Regime Cleavage).

Trump: Oooooh, cleavage... I like the sound of that!
Sure, looks great at first glance but this turns out to be just a bit of a Regime Buttcrack.
Old 4th November 2019, 09:28 AM   #139
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Trump is now dismissing the reports of people cutting through the wall, saying "you can cut through any wall"
Then it's not impenetrable- simple as that. It's not even "very powerful" if all it takes to get through it is a saw. (I suspect the only real power the wall has is symbolic- Trump's base sees a problem, and he's there to provide an "impenetrable wall" that stands for a solution, which, even if it doesn't work, is enough for them)

Quote:
... and "it’s very easily fixed".
Uh huh. Maybe we should replace "closing the barn door after the horse has got out" with "easily fixing the wall after the illegals have gotten through." What's the point (or sense) in a solution that needs constant fixing because it's constantly being broken by the problem it's supposed to solve?

Next step? Well...they shoot horses, don't they?

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King

Last edited by turingtest; 4th November 2019 at 09:32 AM.
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 09:35 AM   #140
dmaker
Graduate Poster

(eta)
Sometimes I Steve while enjoying my morning covfefe.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 09:40 AM   #141
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
Sometimes I Steve while enjoying my morning covfefe.
That's be best, for sure!
Old 4th November 2019, 09:43 AM   #142
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

(eta)
That Tweet seems to have been taken down. Maybe to add a comma?
Don't know, but I'm reminded of the famous saying that ends...

..."For want of a comma, the kingdom was lost."
Old 4th November 2019, 10:37 AM   #143
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is now dismissing the reports of people cutting through the wall, saying "you can cut through any wall" and "it’s very easily fixed".
The conclusion of those two premises is clear: don't build a wall. Do something else that is very easy.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 10:38 AM   #144
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

That's why we built it that way. I'm picturing Pee Wee Herman, "I meant to do that."
Sounds more like a fence than a wall. I guess Mexico couldn't afford the wall?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 10:40 AM   #145
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Mark Levin, a great lawyer and scholar, said last night on his @marklevinshow, that all you have to do is read the transcript of the call, you do not need Never Trumpers or other witnesses to say what it means or says. It is plainly and very well stated for all to see. Witch Hunt

What I said on the phone call with the Ukrainian President is “perfectly” stated. There is no reason to call witnesses to analyze my words and meaning. This is just another Democrat Hoax that I have had to live with from the day I got elected (and before!). Disgraceful!

The Whistleblower gave false information & dealt with corrupt politician Schiff. He must be brought forward to testify. Written answers not acceptable! Where is the 2nd Whistleblower? He disappeared after I released the transcript. Does he even exist? Where is the informant? Con!

“There is no Whistleblower. There is someone with an agenda against Donald Trump. What he was blowing the whistle on didn’t happen. We have the transcript of the call. This is all a farce and no Republican should forget that.”
@dbongino @foxandfriends
I didn’t do what I admitted doing!

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 4th November 2019 at 11:01 AM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 10:41 AM   #146
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

My son, @DonaldJTrumpJr s coming out with a new book, “Triggered: How the Left Thrives on Hate and Wants to Silence Us” – available tomorrow, November 5th! A great new book that I highly recommend for ALL to read. Go order it today!
Old 4th November 2019, 10:41 AM   #147
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Sounds more like a fence than a wall. I guess Mexico couldn't afford the wall?
Mexico is not selling Sawzalls to their best people.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 10:42 AM   #148
Belz...
Fiend God

Quote:
“But you can cut through any wall,” he added.
I thought walls were very effective?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 10:48 AM   #149
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Trump Tweets

My son, @DonaldJTrumpJr s coming out with a new book, “Triggered: How the Left Thrives on Hate and Wants to Silence Us” – available tomorrow, November 5th! A great new book that I highly recommend for ALL to read. Go order it today!

So, have we just given up on Trump using his office to promote commercial properties, then?
Old 4th November 2019, 10:53 AM   #150
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Exactly. The implication is that the current impeachment process is based on nothing but hate for Trump. That this is patently false doesn't matter a bit if one's reality is shaped by Trump tweets and Fox News.
Not just implicitly. Dennis Prager, for one, was on Bill Maher’s show Friday, 11/1, explicitly saying precisely that.
Old 4th November 2019, 10:54 AM   #151
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
So, have we just given up on Trump using his office to promote commercial properties, then?
Yep, bar successfully lowered.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 10:58 AM   #152
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Then it's not impenetrable- simple as that. It's not even "very powerful" if all it takes to get through it is a saw. (I suspect the only real power the wall has is symbolic- Trump's base sees a problem, and he's there to provide an "impenetrable wall" that stands for a solution, which, even if it doesn't work, is enough for them)

Uh huh. Maybe we should replace "closing the barn door after the horse has got out" with "easily fixing the wall after the illegals have gotten through." What's the point (or sense) in a solution that needs constant fixing because it's constantly being broken by the problem it's supposed to solve?

Next step? Well...they shoot horses, don't they?
Hey, if we can pretend to send men to the moon, we can pretend that a multi-billion-dollar boondoggle is impenetrable.
Old 4th November 2019, 10:59 AM   #153
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

President Trump: “He must be brought forward to testify. Written answers not acceptable!”

Is there any matter or action for which the president will not assert that when he does it it is perfectly correct and when anyone else does the same thing, it is unforgivably wrong?

Last edited by Ladewig; 4th November 2019 at 11:01 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 11:06 AM   #154
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump doesn't think written answers are acceptable?

So why didn't he give Mueller a proper interview?
Old 4th November 2019, 11:13 AM   #155
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I wonder who wrote it?

My guess is Ed Reardon

https://www.comedy.co.uk/radio/ed_reardons_week/
Old 4th November 2019, 11:14 AM   #156
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Trump Tweets

I have to say this for Don Jr.: I'm sure he's written more of that book himself than Eric would have.

Oh, the perks of a tri-partite name.
Old 4th November 2019, 11:15 AM   #157
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

For me, the President Trump’s greatest PeeWee-Herman plagiarization is “I know you are but what am I?”
Old 4th November 2019, 11:15 AM   #158
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

False stories are being reported that a few Republican Senators are saying that President Trump may have done a quid pro quo, but it doesn’t matter, there is nothing wrong with that, it is not an impeachable event. Perhaps so, but read the transcript, there is no quid pro quo!
How exactly is it a 'false story' that some Republicans are admitting that there was Quid pro quo? Both Cruz and Kennedy have said it was "Quid pro quo but not illegal".

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...e-it-was-legal

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 11:19 AM   #159
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Not just implicitly. Dennis Prager, for one, was on Bill Maher’s show Friday, 11/1, explicitly saying precisely that.
Of course. My remark was in reference to the scare tactic of claiming every president can and will be impeached. It relies on the listener believing the current impeachment is based entirely on partisan politics instead of being based on evidence of official misconduct....evidence provided by the administration itself.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2019, 11:20 AM   #160
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post

This involves the Daily Mail, even if the Daily Mail is taking the story from another publication that I've never heard of, so it probably shouldn't be believed immediately, but... it would help explain what happened surprisingly well, if true.

REPORT: Kushner OK'd Khashoggi Arrest, Turkey Heard Call & Blackmailed Trump over Syrian Troops

Bring on the tapes that Mulvaney spoke of! If this actually isn't true, they'd disprove it, right?
Link to the article in The Spectator.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics