ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 4th November 2019, 10:21 PM   #241
Cain
Straussian

Well, this is perfectly on brand:

Quote:
The Trump campaign has held at least 15 contests since 2018 offering the chance to win breakfast, lunch, or dinner with President Trump. Supporters are enticed to donate to Trump's campaign with promises of free travel, accommodations, and an "epic" meal with Trump at various locations across the country. An investigation by Popular Information, however, did not uncover evidence that anyone has ever actually won.
https://popular.info/p/the-trump-cam...holds-a-lot-of

I wasn't familiar with "Popular Information" and its credibility. I would like to see major organizations pick up on this story and get answers.

https://www.wired.com/story/judd-leg...-for-everyone/
Old 4th November 2019, 11:53 PM   #242
TofuFighter
Master Poster

<ofc someone already posted what i posted - i'm so far behind>

Last edited by TofuFighter; 4th November 2019 at 11:55 PM. Reason: eta: deleted repetition
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 12:16 AM   #243
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Cain View Post

I wasn't familiar with "Popular Information" and its credibility. I would like to see major organizations pick up on this story and get answers.

Way back in the 2016 election, Trump sold access to himself at Mar-a-Lago if you donated to the Trump Foundation but only Jr showed up.
Old 5th November 2019, 12:46 AM   #244
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Breakfast with the president in lat 2019. What a **** show that would be.
Old 5th November 2019, 12:54 AM   #245
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Linked to the rise of the internet. Before that, the nutbars had their newsletter and a few followers and so their ideas didn't spread much. Now any crazy has a world wide platform and an associated megaphone (Fox) to amplify even the far-out ideas.

Obviously that's not the whole story but it's also not to be ignored.
You'll have to add in the fact that while in the 1980s, there were lots of small local nutbar networks limited by how many people could physically get to the back corner of the local pub. Now, thanks to the wonders of technology, idiots can network globally.

I think the internet (and especially social media) is actually the main factor.
Old 5th November 2019, 12:56 AM   #246
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?

I think this bit adds to the credibility of the story:

Quote:
An investigation by Popular Information, however, did not uncover evidence that anyone has ever actually won.
Old 5th November 2019, 01:04 AM   #247
Cain
Straussian

Vanity Fair picked up the story, and a Trump campaign spokesperson Tweeted a response:

Quote:
Though you never asked us @kenzbry [The author for VF]
hereís an answer anyway. People win the contests each time.

But asking wouldíve gotten in the way of a clickbait headline, huh?

And no we didnít respond to Judd Legum, ThinkProgress & Hillary alum, for obvious reasons.
https://twitter.com/timmurtaugh/stat...283417605?s=12

Since Trump can easily prove this is the case, I eagerly await pictures.
Old 5th November 2019, 02:26 AM   #248
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

A typical, Trumpanzee response. Denounce a story as false and provide no evidence to support the claim that the story is false. Since the story is easily falsifiable, the could've easily provided evidence of winners of the contest.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 03:11 AM   #249
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweets

Trump War Room (Text TRUMP to 88022)
@TrumpWarRoom
"The American people are fed up with Democrat lies, hoaxes, slander. The Democrats' outrageous conduct has created an angry majority that will vote the do-nothing Democrats the hell out of office soon!" - President Trump in Lexington, Kentucky

The crowd chants "four more years!"

"American special forces gave the world's number one terrorist a one-way ticket to hell."

- President Trump speaks in Lexington, Kentucky, about the recent missions that killed the leaders of ISIS

"So today, we just hit the highest number in the history of the stock market. ... That's for everybody. Your 401(k)'s, how you doing? Pretty good right?"

Crowd roars, chants "USA!"

"We support, protect, and defend the Constitution"

"We stand with the incredible heroes and warriors of law enforcement.

"We believe in the dignity of work and the sanctity of life.

"We believe that children should be taught to love our country" - President Trump

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 5th November 2019 at 03:12 AM.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 03:14 AM   #250
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder when he'll write a book about his struggles....
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 03:19 AM   #251
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I wonder when he'll write a book about his struggles....
Precedence has those being written in prison
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 03:34 AM   #252
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by timhau View Post

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 04:05 AM   #253
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
OK, if democracy is de facto dead, what is our next step and what do we replace it with?
I got a feeling that H.G. Wells idea of a small group of scientist taking over the world and producing Utopia will be popular.
We are reverting to more traditional oligarchies of course. Russia is a good example of where we are going.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 04:07 AM   #254
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
The civil rights movement was when the Dixiecrats went Republican and the law-and-order strategy went into play. But, of course the civil rights movement has it roots in the Civil War, and the very constitution as originally written.
That is kind of debatable, I mean who knew when the constitution was written that some states would abandon/outlaw slavery, or how entrenched it would become when the cotton gin was invented?

Slavery just wasn't that big a deal when the constitution was written it only later became such.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 04:10 AM   #255
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Did Savage actually refer to Hitler as a "scientist"? On what planet was Hitler a scientist? Hitler was a failed artist with a gift for "bull ****." Just like Trump.
Has trump ever displayed even a modicum of artistic talent?
Old 5th November 2019, 04:41 AM   #256
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I was half wrong about this. To begin with, Trump's appeal will go first to a single Supreme Court justice seeking a stay. That appeal for a stay will go to RBG. If she denies the stay, Trump's lawyers would have to appeal to the entire court which would require 4 Justices to agree.
I was under the impression that the prosecution wouldn't dispute a stay if the matter is fast tracked.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 04:47 AM   #257
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Vanity Fair picked up the story, and a Trump campaign spokesperson Tweeted a response:

https://twitter.com/timmurtaugh/stat...283417605?s=12

Since Trump can easily prove this is the case, I eagerly await pictures.
He'll provide the evidence in a few weeks time.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 05:27 AM   #258
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
This adds more:
Quote:
On Monday, October 28, the day that Trump was traveling to Chicago, I contacted Anne Gearan, the Washington Post reporter who was traveling with Trump on behalf of the press. I asked Gearan if she had heard anything about a contest winner having lunch with Trump. She had not, but she put in a request for information with the Trump campaign and the White House. She included her request in the pool report...Gearan never passed along any information, and I confirmed with her that she never received any information about the Chicago contest winner.
Also this:
Quote:
As Popular Information documented in May, the Trump campaign held a campaign to give away "the 1 millionth MAGA hat," signed by Trump. On May 23, the Trump campaign ran a Facebook ad claiming that the deadline to enter was midnight. It ran that same ad, claiming a midnight deadline, for 12 days: May 23, 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, June 1, 2, 3, and 4.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 05:35 AM   #259
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Virginia, with all of the massive amount of defense and other work I brought to you, and with everything planned, go out and vote Republican today. I know the Dems are saying that they have your vote locked up, but that would mean a long slide down. VOTE REPUBLICAN TODAY!

The Do Nothing Dems have gone Radical Left Crazy. The can’t get anything done!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 5th November 2019 at 05:36 AM.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 05:35 AM   #260
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Virginia, with all of the massive amount of defense and other work I brought to you, and with everything planned, go out and vote Republican today. I know the Dems are saying that they have your vote locked up, but that would mean a long slide down. VOTE REPUBLICAN TODAY!
Interesting turn of phrase.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 05:37 AM   #261
Belz...
Fiend God

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ver-trump-plot

Quote:
When [ambassador Yovanovitch] sought advice on how to stanch the attack, she said, she was told to tweet something nice about Trump.
It's a ******* cult of personality.

Old 5th November 2019, 06:16 AM   #262
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Remember Trump’s trick of just saying “wrong,” conveying that people involved were either lying or stupid or both? I wish Democrats would try that. Maybe with a running chyron saying “wrong” whenever the media show video of him mouthing off. I’m not sure how well he’d take that. And they absolutely should give the White House a chance to fix or address the error. I don’t want them to fall into a trap of sounding righteous or whiny or pedantic. Just say “wrong,” with maybe a link of more-detailed explanations
And as repulsive as it sounds, perhaps people who don’t want Trump re-elected maybe should be monitoring conservative comments sections with ready facts and links if permitted.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 06:24 AM   #263
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Remember Trumpís trick of just saying ďwrong,Ē conveying that people involved were either lying or stupid or both? I wish Democrats would try that. Maybe with a running chyron saying ďwrongĒ whenever the media show video of him mouthing off. Iím not sure how well heíd take that. And they absolutely should give the White House a chance to fix or address the error. I donít want them to fall into a trap of sounding righteous or whiny or pedantic. Just say ďwrong,Ē with maybe a link of more-detailed explanations
And as repulsive as it sounds, perhaps people who donít want Trump re-elected maybe should be monitoring conservative comments sections with ready facts and links if permitted.
Trump has a powerful intellect but it can be defeated by anyone willing to say "I know you are, but what am I?" enough times.
Old 5th November 2019, 06:51 AM   #264
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

When Trump tries to out the whistleblower (so he can be hanged, or something), isnít he trying to intimidate a witness? Isnít that like, a felony?

I donít think the Dems need to investigate obstruction of justice too much, itís all laid out in Muellerís report, and then there are his idiotic tweets. What a pattern that would yield. They could make it a spreadsheet. One incident, meh but heís got dozens if not hundreds of tweets and statements in which he tries to interfere with legal proceedings. WITH corrupt intent.

Too bad a judge canít issue a gag order. (Or can one)?
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 06:52 AM   #265
Belz...
Fiend God

When Trump tries to out the whistleblower (so he can be hanged, or something), isnít he trying to intimidate a witness? Isnít that like, a felony?

I donít think the Dems need to investigate obstruction of justice too much, itís all laid out in Muellerís report, and then there are his idiotic tweets. What a pattern that would yield. They could make it a spreadsheet. One incident, meh but heís got dozens if not hundreds of tweets and statements in which he tries to interfere with legal proceedings. WITH corrupt intent.

If the GOP didn't abandon the rule of law completely, Trump'd be out by now. But I fear that this is just a taste of things to come. And rampant criminality from the government can only lead to one thing.

Old 5th November 2019, 06:56 AM   #266
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I disagree. They have to make a clear case for obstruction and that requires gathering facts including public statements but also private discussions of withholding evidence. Obstruction is ongoing and Mueller's report has already been dismissed by ther GOP, so new arguments are essential.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 07:13 AM   #267
Parsman
Muse

Be fair now, Hitler was a much better painter than Trump is

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 07:14 AM   #268
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Trump has a powerful intellect but it can be defeated by anyone willing to say "I know you are, but what am I?" enough times.
Well yeah, in fact he has a *towering* intellect. Maybe the tallest one yet, except for maybe Einstein.

Hereís something not related to your comment but I keep meaning to say it. When a local newspaper shut down, two staffers were retained to try to maintain an online presence. They tried running it by recruiting bloggers. Except it kept skewing to the liberal side. Thatís because almost
none of the conservatives were willing to write under their real names. They wanted to write anonymously. That was a dealbreaker. I donít know why the Conservatives felt that way ... maybe they knew they were full of ****.
Old 5th November 2019, 07:17 AM   #269
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Well yeah, in fact he has a *towering* intellect. Maybe the tallest one yet, except for maybe Einstein.

Hereís something not related to your comment but I keep meaning to say it. When a local newspaper shut down, two staffers were retained to try to maintain an online presence. They tried running it by recruiting bloggers. Except it kept skewing to the liberal side. Thatís because almost
none of the conservatives were willing to write under their real names. They wanted to write anonymously. That was a dealbreaker. I donít know why the Conservatives felt that way ... maybe they knew they were full of ****.
I actually do write two political blogs under fake names. For the liberal one I'm Zak Chavez. For the conservative one I'm Ethan Chandler-Winstone IV.
Old 5th November 2019, 07:35 AM   #270
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I disagree. They have to make a clear case for obstruction and that requires gathering facts including public statements but also private discussions of withholding evidence. Obstruction is ongoing and Mueller's report has already been dismissed by ther GOP, so new arguments are essential.
Iím worried that theyíll never be able to finish if Trump keeps piling it on. Maybe thatís what Trump wants to do, run out the clock. Surely more will come.

I still have a suspicion that Senate GOP leaders already have something that could ruin Trump. Just a hunch that ex-staffers of the highest level have been quietly briefing senators and they are sitting on it for the time being. Itís a fantasy, I know, it sounds plausible to me.
Old 5th November 2019, 07:39 AM   #271
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I actually do write two political blogs under fake names. For the liberal one I'm Zak Chavez. For the conservative one I'm Ethan Chandler-Winstone IV.
Kos or maybe Vox has a writer named Aldos Pennyfarthing.
Old 5th November 2019, 07:40 AM   #272
Armitage72
Illuminator

He's already bribing the jurors (Senators) before the trial even starts. Why would he care about something as minor as witness tampering?
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 08:25 AM   #273
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
Be fair now, Hitler was a much better painter than Trump is
Hitler was an amazing painter.
He could do a whole apartment in one afternoon. Two coats!

- thank you, M. Brooks. You will always be in the Pantheon of Humor..

ETA:
Wait. He’s still alive?!
Someone needs to tell him the 2000-Year-Old Man was a comedy bit and not a life goal.

MORE ETA
I still waver between preferring Jack Benny’s version and Mel Brook’s version of “To Be or Not To Be.” I’ll always chuckle when I think of Sig Ruman saying “So they call me Concentration Camp Erhardt, eh”

Last edited by Ladewig; 5th November 2019 at 08:36 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 08:34 AM   #274
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I was under the impression that the prosecution wouldn't dispute a stay if the matter is fast tracked.
That doesn't mean that RBG would grant one.
Old 5th November 2019, 08:36 AM   #275
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Has trump ever displayed even a modicum of artistic talent?

Good point. But to be fair, Hitler hardly had any.
Old 5th November 2019, 08:40 AM   #276
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

He could paint an entire apartment in a afternoon with only two coats.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2019, 08:44 AM   #277
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweets
"American special forces gave the world's number one terrorist a one-way ticket to hell."

I'm surprised he didn't give himself personal credit.
Old 5th November 2019, 08:45 AM   #278
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Hitler was also by all accounts a good soldier as well in WWI.
Old 5th November 2019, 09:00 AM   #279
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
He could paint an entire apartment in a afternoon with only two coats.
Hitler or Trump? Almost certainly you must mean Adolf. I doubt Donald has EVER done a physical day of labor in his life.
Old 5th November 2019, 09:20 AM   #280
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Way back in the 2016 election, Trump sold access to himself at Mar-a-Lago if you donated to the Trump Foundation but only Jr showed up.
And for the 2nd placed donator, Trump senior turned up!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics