ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Stephen Miller

Old 12th November 2019, 08:54 PM   #1
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Stephen Miller e-mails leaked

Well, this should be interesting:

Stephen Miller’s Affinity for White Nationalism Revealed in Leaked Emails (SPLC)

Quote:
In the run-up to the 2016 election, White House senior policy adviser Stephen Miller promoted white nationalist literature, pushed racist immigration stories and obsessed over the loss of Confederate symbols after Dylann Roof’s murderous rampage, according to leaked emails reviewed by Hatewatch.

The emails, which Miller sent to the conservative website Breitbart News in 2015 and 2016, showcase the extremist, anti-immigrant ideology that undergirds the policies he has helped create as an architect of Donald Trump’s presidency. These policies include reportedly setting arrest quotas for undocumented immigrants, an executive order effectively banning immigration from five Muslim-majority countries and a policy of family separation at refugee resettlement facilities that the Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Inspector General said is causing “intense trauma” in children.

In this, the first of what will be a series about those emails, Hatewatch exposes the racist source material that has influenced Miller’s visions of policy. That source material, as laid out in his emails to Breitbart, includes white nationalist websites, a “white genocide”-themed novel in which Indian men rape white women, xenophobic conspiracy theories and eugenics-era immigration laws that Adolf Hitler lauded in “Mein Kampf.”

Hatewatch reviewed more than 900 previously private emails Miller sent to Breitbart editors from March 4, 2015, to June 27, 2016. Miller does not converse along a wide range of topics in the emails. His focus is strikingly narrow – more than 80 percent of the emails Hatewatch reviewed relate to or appear on threads relating to the subjects of race or immigration. Hatewatch made multiple attempts to reach the White House for a comment from Miller about the content of his emails but did not receive any reply.
Old 13th November 2019, 12:29 AM   #2
Cain
Straussian

I've read through most of Miller's leaked e-mails now. He makes some good points.
Old 13th November 2019, 02:58 AM   #3
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I'm shocked. Who would have thought it?
Old 13th November 2019, 03:05 AM   #4
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I've read through most of Miller's leaked e-mails now. He makes some good points.
That about sums up the position of around 40% of the US electorate IMO - unfortunately (though I doubt that most would have read the emails but the summary would have been sufficient to garner their support).
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 04:35 AM   #5
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I've read up on the history of Vlad the Impaler. He made some good points too.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 04:52 AM   #6
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Wait, you mean to tell me he actually agreed with all those things he said and did for the last three years?
Color me surprised!
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 06:43 AM   #7
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I assume that the Trump administration will distance itself from Miller now.
Right?
Right?
Old 13th November 2019, 08:26 AM   #8
carlitos
"más divertido"

A guy in the administration is referencing The Camp of the Saints and sending people links to Steve Sailer articles at Vdare. That's depressing, but I guess not surprising. An aide to Alabama Senator, Jeff Sessions, really is a white nationalist. Knock me over with a feather.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 08:34 AM   #9
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I assume that the Trump administration will distance itself from Miller now.
Right?
Right?
Firing Miller would endanger his support among the ethno-nationalist base. Trump doesn't want these right wing goons turning on him and showing up at his events to heckle him like they have been other conservatives that they find inadequately radical.
Old 13th November 2019, 03:52 PM   #10
Juniversal
CIA + FBI + NWO Employee

Remember when the fringe right tried to malign Obama by creating this completely made up idea his cabinet was some arm of the black panthers? Funny enough Trump is literally in cohoots with white nationalist and the right is silent on the issue.
Old 13th November 2019, 04:40 PM   #11
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

In any other administration, regardless of party, Miller would have been fired by now over this smoking gun tying him to white nationalist organziations.
In the Trump administration, it's will probably get him a promotion.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 04:41 PM   #12
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Real irony is that to most of his white nationalist allies; Miller remains a evil, dirty Jew.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 08:32 PM   #13
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Real irony is that to most of his white nationalist allies; Miller remains a evil, dirty Jew.
Does he?

I get the impression that he's one of the "good ones", if they even make it explicit, which I haven't heard.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 02:59 AM   #14
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

And those points are?
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 03:13 AM   #15
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
And those points are?
I think you've been Cained
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 07:57 AM   #16
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Does he?

I get the impression that he's one of the "good ones", if they even make it explicit, which I haven't heard.

All that means is he'll be the last one they put in the gas chamber.
Old 14th November 2019, 01:04 PM   #17
autumn1971
Illuminator

The Catholics also forget they are the next group up against the wall
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 01:21 PM   #18
Mumbles
Philosopher

So...

We been knew.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 02:06 PM   #19
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
So...

We been knew.
True, but it's nice to have the smoking gun.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th November 2019, 02:08 PM   #20
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
The Catholics also forget they are the next group up against the wall
Cahtolics also need to remember that a lot of the evangelicals still basically see them as Evil Papists, and as soon as their political usefulness in the anti abortion drive ends, the Fundies will turn on them.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th November 2019, 02:09 PM   #21
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

As one of my Jewish co workers said, Miller takes the term "Self Hating Jew" to new lows...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th November 2019, 02:19 PM   #22
Mumbles
Philosopher

As one of my Jewish co workers said, Miller takes the term "Self Hating Jew" to new lows...
Yeah.

Nazi-wannabes are just...disgusting.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 05:34 PM   #23
Grizzly Adams
Graduate Poster

True, but it's nice to have the smoking gun.
Which part is the smoking gun, exactly?
Grizzly Adams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 05:21 AM   #24
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

The american ethno-nationalists seem kind of divided on the issues of whether Jewish people count as proper white folks or as "the other". Of course, budding fascists with an appreciation for their own ideology's history know that Jews are not to be tolerated, but some are starting to see that as outdated and are willing to treat Jews as just other white people. Especially when you have extremely right wing Jews, like Miller, doing such productive work for the nationalists.

The original European understanding of ethno-nationalism isn't really a perfect fit for the US. Many nationalists here don't bother differentiating between the various stocks of white Europeans the way a proper German Nazi might have, but rather just paint the lines as Western whites vs. everyone else. The trope of the scheming, cosmopolitan Jew is hard to shake, but there is growing acceptance under the American nationalist umbrella.

In a lot of ways, Israel is admired. It's a highly militarized nation with a vibrant far-right political party in control with aspirations of becoming an ethnostate.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 15th November 2019 at 05:22 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 08:08 AM   #25
Donal
Illuminator

Cahtolics also need to remember that a lot of the evangelicals still basically see them as Evil Papists, and as soon as their political usefulness in the anti abortion drive ends, the Fundies will turn on them.
I've commented to my mom, a good Irish Catholic immigrant who constantly takes up GOP points, how they seem to have a lot of "reformed" Catholics and even have a few incidents of saying Catholics aren't Christians. In fact, the GOP looks more like Scientology every day.
Old 15th November 2019, 12:34 PM   #26
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Which part is the smoking gun, exactly?
DId you bother to read the story?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th November 2019, 05:57 PM   #27
tanabear
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
A guy in the administration is referencing The Camp of the Saints and sending people links to Steve Sailer articles at Vdare. That's depressing, but I guess not surprising. An aide to Alabama Senator, Jeff Sessions, really is a white nationalist. Knock me over with a feather.
If someone is reading Steve Sailer, Vdare and other dissident publications this is an indication he wishes to be informed about the world as opposed to being misinformed.

Steve Sailer recently drew attention to the fact that his blog was considered to be the most accurate by intelligence researchers.

Survey of expert opinion on intelligence: Intelligence research, experts' background, controversial issues, and the media

"Experts were skeptical of the quality of media reports on intelligence research (Table 4). In general, mean expert ratings of media accuracy were around 3–4, on a scale of 1 (very inaccurate) to 9 (very accurate). Only two media outlets received positive ratings, the blogs of Steve Sailer (M = 7.38, N = 26 ratings) and Anatoly Karlin."*

The mainstream media did terrible regarding accuracy in intelligence reporting. 1 (very inaccurate) to 9 (very accurate )

Steve Sailer blog: Rating 7.38
Anatoly Karlin blog: Rating 6.1

New York Times: Rating: 3.81
Guardian: Rating 3.57
Washington Post: Rating 3.54
Newsweek: Rating 3.5
Commercial television networks: Rating 2.67

I would imagine that most of the commenters here are probably big consumers of media that was rated poorly by the experts. People who wish to consume Pravda-like propaganda can always turn to the fake news media. People who wish to discover the Truth turn to the Samizdat media.

Steve Sailer once noted that he needed to develop his own niche as writer and a journalist. So he decided to tell the truth. This, however, is not a niche that pays well or will win you any awards. But it isn't merely on one topic, but all topics if you wish to discover the Truth you have to go to the alt-media. I cannot think of one important thing I've ever learned from watching fake news media. I watch it on occasion to see what is the propaganda their selling to the masses today.

* Both Steve Sailer and Anatoly Karlin blog at Unz Review now.

In any other administration, regardless of party, Miller would have been fired by now over this smoking gun tying him to white nationalist organziations.
In the Trump administration, it's will probably get him a promotion.
These are media publications. Why exactly should someone be fired for reading media that you disagree with? As I noted above, according to experts, it is far more accurate than the mainstream media.

This is why the modern left is a cult. People should be fired for heresy, not for reporting bad information.

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Yeah.

Nazi-wannabes are just...disgusting.
If you are opposed to massive amounts of immigration you are a self-hating Jew or a Nazi wannabe. Hmm....Now what about Jews who were opposed to immigration before the Nazis were even around.

We should remember the riveting southerner and first Jewish Congressman, Lewis Charles Levin. He was strongly opposed to mass immigration especially from Catholics.

Then there was Samuel Gompers the Jewish head of the American Federation of Labor. He favored every type of immigration restriction imaginable; the Chinese Exclusion Act, Emergency Quota Act, Immigration Act of 1924.

Mass immigration and open borders only recently became an obsession of the Left. Even someone like Cesar Chavez would be called a "Nazi" today.

Undesired Walrus: "Why, Ron, Mark mentioned this on your very own show!"
tanabear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2019, 07:57 AM   #28
carlitos
"más divertido"

Stephen Miller e-mails leaked

Your post: Rating 0.00
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2019, 04:54 PM   #29
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by tanabear View Post
If someone is reading Steve Sailer, Vdare and other dissident publications this is an indication he wishes to be informed about the world as opposed to being misinformed.

Steve Sailer recently drew attention to the fact that his blog was considered to be the most accurate by intelligence researchers.

Survey of expert opinion on intelligence: Intelligence research, experts' background, controversial issues, and the media
I took a look at your link and couldn't find any of that there.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2019, 04:55 PM   #30
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Anyone know where these e-mails can be found?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2019, 05:56 AM   #31
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by tanabear View Post

"Experts were skeptical of the quality of media reports on intelligence research (Table 4). In general, mean expert ratings of media accuracy were around 3–4, on a scale of 1 (very inaccurate) to 9 (very accurate). Only two media outlets received positive ratings, the blogs of Steve Sailer (M = 7.38, N = 26 ratings) and Anatoly Karlin."*

The mainstream media did terrible regarding accuracy in intelligence reporting. 1 (very inaccurate) to 9 (very accurate )

Steve Sailer blog: Rating 7.38
Anatoly Karlin blog: Rating 6.1

New York Times: Rating: 3.81
Guardian: Rating 3.57
Washington Post: Rating 3.54
Newsweek: Rating 3.5
Commercial television networks: Rating 2.67

I would imagine that most of the commenters here are probably big consumers of media that was rated poorly by the experts. People who wish to consume Pravda-like propaganda can always turn to the fake news media. People who wish to discover the Truth turn to the Samizdat media.

Steve Sailer once noted that he needed to develop his own niche as writer and a journalist. So he decided to tell the truth. This, however, is not a niche that pays well or will win you any awards. But it isn't merely on one topic, but all topics if you wish to discover the Truth you have to go to the alt-media. I cannot think of one important thing I've ever learned from watching fake news media. I watch it on occasion to see what is the propaganda their selling to the masses today.

* Both Steve Sailer and Anatoly Karlin blog at Unz Review now.

These are media publications. Why exactly should someone be fired for reading media that you disagree with? As I noted above, according to experts, it is far more accurate than the mainstream media.

This is why the modern left is a cult. People should be fired for heresy, not for reporting bad information.

If you are opposed to massive amounts of immigration you are a self-hating Jew or a Nazi wannabe. Hmm....Now what about Jews who were opposed to immigration before the Nazis were even around.

We should remember the riveting southerner and first Jewish Congressman, Lewis Charles Levin. He was strongly opposed to mass immigration especially from Catholics.

Then there was Samuel Gompers the Jewish head of the American Federation of Labor. He favored every type of immigration restriction imaginable; the Chinese Exclusion Act, Emergency Quota Act, Immigration Act of 1924.

Mass immigration and open borders only recently became an obsession of the Left. Even someone like Cesar Chavez would be called a "Nazi" today.
Cool, so you've proven selection bias.

This study isn't really much of anything. It only had a 20% response rate, meaning that the majority of their subjects of their meta survey didn't even bother to participate.

Of the 100 ish that did respond, only 26 responded to the questions about Steve Sailer. Seems that the vast majority of professionals aren't even aware enough of it to have an opinion. The small minority that did know of it rated it highly.

Crackpot blog has highly supportive, small following. That's the nature of crackpot blogs.

Only 10 responded to the question about Anatoly Karlin, and they rated him slightly lower than Sailer. Seems that he's even too nutty for the average hard-righter.

I'm not sure what you think you've shown here. Insular racists think their fringe racist blogs are really good. The general profession has low opinion of mainstream news on topics in which they are subject matter experts. None of this is shocking.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 18th November 2019 at 06:09 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2019, 06:03 AM   #32
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Anyone know where these e-mails can be found?
They were leaked directly to SPLC's Hatewatch, and as far as I know, they haven't released them in full. I doubt they will anytime soon, giving these away would be inviting other outlets to scoop their story.

Perhaps they will release them in full once their series is over. Doesn't seem like anyone else has access to them, besides the former Breitbart editor who leaked them, so I'd keep my eye on the SPLC for any dump in the future.
Old 18th November 2019, 07:27 AM   #33
Donal
Illuminator

Do we really need to read them? Is anyone surprised the Stephen Miller is a white supremacist, has a relationship with Breitbart, or is so stupid/confident that his opinions are secretly mainstream that he was willing to document them in an easily traceable medium?
Old 18th November 2019, 12:48 PM   #34
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
Do we really need to read them? Is anyone surprised the Stephen Miller is a white supremacist, has a relationship with Breitbart, or is so stupid/confident that his opinions are secretly mainstream that he was willing to document them in an easily traceable medium?
Nobody who has been paying attention is surprised at Miller's prejudices, but Trumptards need strong evidence to be convinced.
Old 18th November 2019, 12:53 PM   #35
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Nobody who has been paying attention is surprised at Miller's prejudices, but Trumptards need strong evidence to be convinced.
And then ignore it.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2019, 01:05 PM   #36
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Miller is Anonymous. I just read the book review. Only a complete bigot would complain about everything else Trump did and ignore family separation. Maybe it's in the book and the review didn't mention that but I doubt it.
Old 18th November 2019, 02:40 PM   #37
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Nice theory.
Old 18th November 2019, 03:12 PM   #38
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Why are people so worried about links to white supremacists? I have it on good authority that they are "fine people" (tm)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 12:21 PM   #39
Grizzly Adams
Graduate Poster

DId you bother to read the story?
I read about a third of the emails and then gave up.

So... which ones are the smoking gun?
Grizzly Adams is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2019, 12:26 PM   #40
Grizzly Adams
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Why are people so worried about links to white supremacists? I have it on good authority that they are "fine people" (tm)
Who on Earth told you that?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics