ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump controversies

Old 13th November 2019, 05:31 PM   #1
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump love of dictators...

I would love for the Trump supporters here to explain why Trump obvious love for dictators like Erdogan and Putin, and his contempt for the leaders of democratic nations is a good, acceptable thing.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 05:35 PM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I would love for the Trump supporters here to explain why Trump obvious love for dictators like Erdogan and Putin, and his contempt for the leaders of democratic nations is a good, acceptable thing.....
Don't forget Kim Jong Un, and Duterte, and Bolsonaro.
Old 13th November 2019, 05:46 PM   #3
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Don't forget Kim Jong Un, and Duterte, and Bolsonaro.
Just used Erdogan and Putin as examples. I think Donnie never met a dictator he did not like.
It's one thing to do business with them ..you have to do that, but you keep them at an arm's length....but another to embrace them and say you are a big fan of them the way that Trump does.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 07:36 PM   #4
wasapi
Philosopher

I am not a Trump supporter. But I can speculate;

And it seems obvious. Isn't it all what Trump wants to be? Just like his hero's?
Old 13th November 2019, 08:06 PM   #5
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

What amazes me is how much they walk over him and embarrass him in return and he still sucks up to them.
Old 13th November 2019, 08:06 PM   #6
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump's made it very clear that he admires them.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 08:41 PM   #7
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Not a Trump supporter of course, but I'll give it a shot:

Because he's a brainless ******* *******?
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2019, 09:30 PM   #8
Cain
Straussian

I'd explain it, but you cucks would never understand.
Old 14th November 2019, 12:26 AM   #9
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I'd explain it, but you cucks would never understand.
Some of your best work.
Old 14th November 2019, 01:11 AM   #10
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

President Trump is like a wannabe tough guy hanging out with real tough guys.....
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 03:37 AM   #11
Parsman
Muse

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
President Trump is like a wannabe tough guy hanging out with real tough guys.....
Why does the Offspring song "Pretty Fly for a White Guy" spring to my mind?

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 04:02 AM   #12
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Who wouldn't fall in love with Cuddly Kim Jong Un?
Old 14th November 2019, 04:03 AM   #13
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
Thank you, reminded myself of the video and now I'm all cheered up
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 04:08 AM   #14
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
In his own mind Trump is indeed the dopest trip.
Old 14th November 2019, 07:40 AM   #15
dmaker
Graduate Poster

Absolutely. He's a weakling who desperately wants to portray strength. Remember comments like how he would have ran into an active school shooting to save kids, or how he would have made a great general, or how he would like to punch so and so in the nose...etc.

He likes to strut on the same world stage as genuine despots, but always has to be deferential lest one of the true despots smack him for getting out of line and his weakness is exposed for the world to see.

He's the guy in the street fight who hangs in the back and just never had the right opportunity to enter the fray. But certainly loves bragging to others about what a great dust up it was.
dmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 02:11 PM   #16
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And the wannabes usually end up getting their butts kicked .

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th November 2019, 02:13 PM   #17
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The spin has begun over the Erdogan visit;it's that it was a Good Cop/Bad Cop routine for Erdogan with Trump the Good Cop and the GOP Senators the Bad Cop. Sorry, just not buying it. Trump has become cuddly with too many dictators for me to but that.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th November 2019, 02:22 PM   #18
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Trump grew up as the son of a New York Real Estate Mogul and Developer in an era where construction was totally controlled by the Mafia. These were the guys that he learned to respect and deal with when he started out under his Father, and so now he looks to the "Mafia Dons" of politics in the say way he did the New York Dons.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2019, 04:29 PM   #19
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Trump grew up as the son of a New York Real Estate Mogul and Developer in an era where construction was totally controlled by the Mafia. These were the guys that he learned to respect and deal with when he started out under his Father, and so now he looks to the "Mafia Dons" of politics in the say way he did the New York Dons.
Correct, except for "was" concering Costra Nostra control of construction in NYC.
The mob keeps a much lower profile and uses much more elaborate fronts nowdays, but they still are very powerful in construction in NYC.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th November 2019, 06:35 AM   #20
Armitage72
Illuminator

Correct, except for "was" concering Costra Nostra control of construction in NYC.
The mob keeps a much lower profile and uses much more elaborate fronts nowdays, but they still are very powerful in construction in NYC.

I used to work for an environmental testing lab that also did steel and concrete testing for construction projects. I worked at an upstate office, but the main office was close enough to New York City that they did a lot of projects in the city. Several years after I left the company, I happened to encounter someone who had worked in the main office. He talked about watching fancy cars pull into the parking lot and seeing men in expensive suits with bulges under their arms get out to meet with the President of the company.
The company has since gone out of business following fraud and enterprise corruption charges.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 08:48 AM   #21
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Not a Trump supporter, but many of his new buildings are in such places, so buttering them up is helpful.

As to disdain for democracy, he cut his interaction teeth in NY, with no shortage of politicians getting in the way of building and other permits for pure and noble reasons and it's just coincidental the wheels are greased when they are greased, purely coincidental, yes, I assure you.

These issues have to be lain at the feet of politicians, not business people.

In short, the disdain is well-deserved. He's on the front lines of having to bend knee to government constantly.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 08:55 AM   #22
Donal
Illuminator

My dad and brother were in Local 608, the carpenters' union for the West Side. About 10 years ago, a bunch of the leadership went away for corruption and the union was rolled over into 157. They went through like 7 presidents in their last year. The final guy actually being pulled form the rank and file, only to have the whole thing shut down.

And yes, 608 helped build Trump Place and Trump International
Old 15th November 2019, 08:58 AM   #23
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
Not a Trump supporter, but many of his new buildings are in such places, so buttering them up is helpful.

As to disdain for democracy, he cut his interaction teeth in NY, with no shortage of politicians getting in the way of building and other permits for pure and noble reasons and it's just coincidental the wheels are greased when they are greased, purely coincidental, yes, I assure you.

These issues have to be lain at the feet of politicians, not business people.

In short, the disdain is well-deserved. He's on the front lines of having to bend knee to government constantly.
So its OK he leverages to power of the White House because it will make him more money?
Old 15th November 2019, 09:03 AM   #24
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
So its OK he leverages to power of the White House because it will make him more money?

..or get leveraged by foreign governments against US national interests ?
Old 15th November 2019, 09:08 AM   #25
ahhell
Master Poster

This is basically it.

My only disagreement with this thread is I think Kim should be put in a different category than the rest. I could see a defense of Trumps actions toward kim and Korea were an attempt to try something new to effect change in the regime. A bit hard to make in light of Trumps clearly expressed admiration for the right wing populist thugs.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 09:42 AM   #26
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Not a Trump supporter and didn't say that.

I do find it ironic local politicians are holding that against him when it's their reason for being in politics here.

Doesn't he know when you're a politician, you're supposed to hide your machinations to enrich yourself much much better, like we big city and national pols attacking him do?

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 10:00 AM   #27
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
Not a Trump supporter
Ya, OK. Keep saying it.

Quote:
and didn't say that.
Your entire statement was a defense of it.

Quote:
I do find it ironic local politicians are holding that against him when it's their reason for being in politics here.
Which has what to do with his activities?

Quote:
Doesn't he know when you're a politician, you're supposed to hide your machinations to enrich yourself much much better, like we big city and national pols attacking him do?
You're right. Everything he did is perfectly fine because you, without evidence, have asserted others are just as bad. I'm sure you can show a number of Presidents who have used the White House to further their own fortunes at the expense of US interests.
Old 15th November 2019, 10:05 AM   #28
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Trump is like house Harkonan in dune. He likes them because they have power and are bad
I suspect that he is the whitest president we ever has

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 15th November 2019 at 10:11 AM.
MinnesotaBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 01:42 PM   #29
Donal
Illuminator

I mean Andrew Jackson and Woodrow Wilson have to be up high on that list.
Old 15th November 2019, 01:48 PM   #30
Suddenly
No Punting

I'd kind of like the people who in the year of our lord 2019 still think that appeals to incredulity about Trump and fascism are in the least bit relevant to explain why they insist on beating that dead horse.

Trump supporters think it is good because consensus building is for nerds and we need someone with the unrestrained power to Do What Obviously Needs to Be Done. Like those guys. Like Trump.

Why is this so hard to just accept? There are way more fascists out there than maybe some people want to believe.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 02:03 PM   #31
Suddenly
No Punting

You're right. Everything he did is perfectly fine because you, without evidence, have asserted others are just as bad. I'm sure you can show a number of Presidents who have used the White House to further their own fortunes at the expense of US interests.
Most of them just do it to further their own political power, and they employ a bit more finesse in turning that into hard cash for them and their family than do the Trumps who basically are just writing themselves checks.

Trump is bad because of the open contempt for democratic processes and ideals and the cultural and structural changes that entails. He can steal the whole treasury and sell Alaska back to Russia and pocket the money and not do as much long term damage as he is doing by packing the federal bench with political operatives.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2019, 07:48 PM   #32
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

I mean Andrew Jackson and Woodrow Wilson have to be up high on that list.
I am just repeating what the I overheard on the internet. "President Trump is the Whitest President we Ever had". "Anyhow, Nobody here in Bodunk gives a **** about the Impeachment hearings anyway". Thats what the internet is saying not me. I am voting for Bernie cause I got a text from one of his supporters.

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 15th November 2019 at 08:02 PM.
MinnesotaBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2019, 03:41 AM   #33
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
This is basically it.

My only disagreement with this thread is I think Kim should be put in a different category than the rest. I could see a defense of Trumps actions toward kim and Korea were an attempt to try something new to effect change in the regime. A bit hard to make in light of Trumps clearly expressed admiration for the right wing populist thugs.
He's also quadrupled the asking price from South Korea for stationing US troops there. That's probably a fair indication that his primary concern is not the security of South Korea.
Old 16th November 2019, 05:14 AM   #34
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
He's also quadrupled the asking price from South Korea for stationing US troops there. That's probably a fair indication that his primary concern is not the security of South Korea.
quintupled (raised by 400%), but who's counting?
South Korea and North Korea, I presume.
Old 16th November 2019, 05:44 AM   #35
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MinnesotaBrant View Post
I am just repeating what the I overheard on the internet. "President Trump is the Whitest President we Ever had". "Anyhow, Nobody here in Bodunk gives a **** about the Impeachment hearings anyway". Thats what the internet is saying not me.
Really? Are your thoughts that thoughtless? Do you really operate on the basis of what the "internet" says? Well you cannot unless and until you have read all of the internet. Since the internet is so large that nobody can read it all, the only option is that you think the few parts you have read tell you what to do. And that is selection bias.

Originally Posted by MinnesotaBrant View Post
I am voting for Bernie cause I got a text from one of his supporters.
And there is your problem. You don't care what Bernie stands for. You don't care what his political position is on anything. You don't care if you agree or disagree with bernie. You don't care what his policies are or are not.

You only care that you got attention. It matters not that the attention came from a Bernie dial-a-bot. It was attention and that is all that matters to you according to your very own posts

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2019, 10:12 AM   #36
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Really? Are your thoughts that thoughtless? Do you really operate on the basis of what the "internet" says? Well you cannot unless and until you have read all of the internet. Since the internet is so large that nobody can read it all, the only option is that you think the few parts you have read tell you what to do. And that is selection bias.

And there is your problem. You don't care what Bernie stands for. You don't care what his political position is on anything. You don't care if you agree or disagree with bernie. You don't care what his policies are or are not.

You only care that you got attention. It matters not that the attention came from a Bernie dial-a-bot. It was attention and that is all that matters to you according to your very own posts
Actually the internet came around to accepting that crimes we’re committed even down in Bodunk. However the name Shillary will still be invoked on the internet in regards to Impeachment for a long long time to come.

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 16th November 2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 16th November 2019, 10:51 AM   #37
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The truth is that Trump and his supporters just don't share our values. Trump wants to rule like Putin or Erdogan. Trump supporters think that they will be the favored class in Trump's authoritarian regime.
Old 17th November 2019, 06:35 AM   #38
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Several months ago, the White House asked the Pentagon to produce a report that showed the total US cost of troops station in South Korea. This week the White House asked the Pentagon to produce a report that showed the total costs were $5 billion dollars.

Maybe the 2020 campaign slogan can be “Facts, shmacts.”
Old 18th November 2019, 07:31 AM   #39
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Suddenly View Post
Most of them just do it to further their own political power, and they employ a bit more finesse in turning that into hard cash for them and their family than do the Trumps who basically are just writing themselves checks.
Oh, I'm not saying none of them find a way to profit from it. But they aren't doing so in direct contrasts to US policy/interests.

Quote:
Trump is bad because of the open contempt for democratic processes and ideals and the cultural and structural changes that entails. He can steal the whole treasury and sell Alaska back to Russia and pocket the money and not do as much long term damage as he is doing by packing the federal bench with political operatives.
That last part is the key because it shows just how gross the GOP is. They don't care as long as they get the judges.
Old 18th November 2019, 09:50 AM   #40
Suddenly
No Punting

Oh, I'm not saying none of them find a way to profit from it. But they aren't doing so in direct contrasts to US policy/interests.
That is a matter of degree. Slavish devotion to the interests of capital hasn't exactly brought up the standard of living or helped the US standing in the world. It has helped people get re-elected, children placed on corporate boards, big money to give a speech to corporate heavies, etc etc etc.
Quote:

That last part is the key because it shows just how gross the GOP is. They don't care as long as they get the judges.
The rest of all this is a sideshow. There are people with little or no judicial or even trial experience being given lifetime appointments to the bench based on pure political ideology. Once that hits a critical mass, the concept of the federal judiciary as we know it will be gone. We either have to deal with courts that will in bad faith do anything necessary to frustrate even minimal progressive reform or in some way take that power away.

We had a tiny taste of it during the labor war era; courts tossing out even minimal labor protection laws based on what were at best suspect constitutional grounds. We see it now with some of the patently ridiculous ACA lawsuits that should be laughed out of court.

We only usually think of this in terms of the Supreme Court, but when the lower courts start issuing goofball rulings, denying stays and threatening contempt for non-compliance things will go to hell in a hurry.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics