ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , marijuana legalization

Old 26th November 2019, 05:31 PM   #241
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
There is a reason there are stereotypes.
Damn, and after all this time I thought the stereotype about skeptics being closed minded was false. Thanks for setting me straight.
Old 26th November 2019, 06:05 PM   #242
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
Damn, and after all this time I thought the stereotype about skeptics being closed minded was false. Thanks for setting me straight.
Close minded or persuaded by the evidence before me?

It's amazingly dishonest to suggest that those stereotypes are totally false and without any merit. Stereotypes are general, not universal and that they may not be representative of an entire population. Not every canabis user is fairly represented by Jeff Spiccoli. But that doesn't mean there aren't individuals just like him.

Last edited by acbytesla; 26th November 2019 at 06:06 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2019, 10:36 PM   #243
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

I wonder if my sig is still active? "Normal" is a stereotype. They're only useful in cases when an individual perfectly matches, and even then they're redundant.
Old 26th November 2019, 10:51 PM   #244
ArchSas
Thinker

Evidence? As others keep pointing out to you, you're relying entirely on anecdotes; as the sayings go "anecdotes aren't evidence" and "the plural of anecdote is not data. There's a reason anecdotal evidence is considered a logical fallacy.
ArchSas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 06:16 AM   #245
plague311
Great minds think...

There is a reason there are stereotypes.
Oh, so black people love to eat fried chicken and watermelon while they carry guns around and shoot each other? I've seen that stereotype constantly. Stereotypes, generally, focus on the negative of insert_culture_here and that's why they're generally ********.

I'm convinced you're being dishonest or your perception is distorted as I have had too many of them to count.
Again, you seem stuck on using your anecdotal experience to stereotype an entire group of people. Seriously though, my perception is distorted and you're the one implying all stoners are the sidekick from Dazed and Confused? Come on. My perception is totally fine, I'd say perhaps my perception is a bit more updated.

Great. And I'll pass.
For the 2nd or 3rd time. I don't want, nor am I asking, you to smoke weed. Given your predetermined notions it would be my guess you would have a bad time no matter what. Even if it actually was enjoyable.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 27th November 2019 at 06:44 AM.
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 06:34 AM   #246
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

It's amazingly dishonest to suggest that those stereotypes are totally false and without any merit. Stereotypes are general, not universal and that they may not be representative of an entire population. Not every canabis user is fairly represented by Jeff Spiccoli. But that doesn't mean there aren't individuals just like him.
I wasn't referring to YOU being close-minded. To most non-skeptics and especially woo believers, the stereotypical skeptic is close-minded. And according to your own logic, that means it must be rooted in truth. Also, apparently Asians are bad drivers, women suck at math, jocks are dumb, and nerds all wear thick black glasses and pocket protectors.

Last edited by DuvalHMFIC; 27th November 2019 at 06:36 AM.
DuvalHMFIC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 06:36 AM   #247
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Everybody's wrong. Pot is bad because it causes users to dress poorly. Rotting the brain or coating the lungs in cancerous chemicals is fine, but sandal-wearing when not on or near a beach? The DEA should be authorized to use deadly force up to and including drone strikes on pot farms to prevent this menace. My god, some of you druggies own tie-dye shirts, don't you? Ugh.
Old 27th November 2019, 06:47 AM   #248
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Everybody's wrong. Pot is bad because it causes users to dress poorly. Rotting the brain or coating the lungs in cancerous chemicals is fine, but sandal-wearing when not on or near a beach? The DEA should be authorized to use deadly force up to and including drone strikes on pot farms to prevent this menace. My god, some of you druggies own tie-dye shirts, don't you? Ugh.
After 20+ years of that herb rotting my brain () and I still don't wear sandals or tie-dye shirts either. Jeans or basketball shorts and a t-shirt that almost always has the Yankees emblem on it.

I would offer up one example to counter this though. Elton John. Elton John is\was a major stoner and he dressed pretty damn well.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 06:50 AM   #249
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
After 20+ years of that herb rotting my brain () and I still don't wear sandals or tie-dye shirts either. Jeans or basketball shorts and a t-shirt that almost always has the Yankees emblem on it.

I would offer up one example to counter this though. Elton John. Elton John is\was a major stoner and he dressed pretty damn well.
Basketball shorts? When you were not playing basketball? Sir, you have condemned yourself with your own testimony. Perhaps if your brain wasn't "stoned" into permanent bafflement you'd have realized that. The drones are approaching your location now.

Eta: as for Elton John, his profession is gay clown, so his dress is appropriate for that.

Last edited by TragicMonkey; 27th November 2019 at 06:51 AM.
TragicMonkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 06:54 AM   #250
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

No longer a smoker but guilty as charged: I wear a t-shirt and flip-flops as much as humanly possible. The most painful part of getting a new job was actually having to iron my clothes everyday. I hate that.
Old 27th November 2019, 06:55 AM   #251
plague311
Great minds think...

Basketball shorts? When you were not playing basketball? Sir, you have condemned yourself with your own testimony. Perhaps if your brain wasn't "stoned" into permanent bafflement you'd have realized that. The drones are approaching your location now.

Eta: as for Elton John, his profession is gay clown, so his dress is appropriate for that.
Do the drones actually kill or are they going to shoot a high end suit at me, and cut my hair?

No longer a smoker but guilty as charged: I wear a t-shirt and flip-flops as much as humanly possible. The most painful part of getting a new job was actually having to iron my clothes everyday. I hate that.
I live in North Dakota. We only have summer for 72 hours and then it's cold. I also don't like things in between my toes.

Old 27th November 2019, 06:58 AM   #252
rockysmith76
Critical Thinker

slacking useless hipster is a thing, all caused by devil weed. Ban it everywhere.
rockysmith76 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 07:01 AM   #253
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
slacking useless hipster is a thing, all caused by devil weed. Ban it everywhere.
If you're going to "poe", you have to do it much better than this. We've got Cain, you're not even in the top 10.

Old 27th November 2019, 07:06 AM   #254
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

You know we live in an era of unparalleled technological advance, right? You can get wrinklefree everything. I haven't ironed a dress shirt or pants in twenty years.
Old 27th November 2019, 07:15 AM   #255
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

You know we live in an era of unparalleled technological advance, right? You can get wrinklefree everything. I haven't ironed a dress shirt or pants in twenty years.
What is this witchcraft you speak of?
Old 27th November 2019, 07:19 AM   #256
plague311
Great minds think...

Yeah but you also haven't worn a dress shirt or pants in 25 years, which makes me wonder whose pants and dress shirt you ironed?!

Old 27th November 2019, 07:27 AM   #257
Belz...
Fiend God

In the previous exchange, which was lengthy, we had a back and forth about how he (acbytesla) probably comes in contact with a myriad of people that are stoned and he has no idea they are. The implication that he thinks "so many people are morons" is because of weed is not one based in fact >> to me <<.
Thank you for your response.

Quote:
I like to think in the 8ish years I've been around here people generally have gotten use to the fact that I'm an *******.
Duly noted!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 07:41 AM   #258
rockysmith76
Critical Thinker

If you're going to "poe", you have to do it much better than this. We've got Cain, you're not even in the top 10.
spare me that. It is fact that weed is worse for you than smoking, and the fact the whole weed culture hides behind some creative unorthodox way of life farce is complete nonsense. They should accept conformity, give up on on hemp fantasy and drink beer like the rest of us. Filthy skateboarding scum.... scooterers to!
rockysmith76 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 07:42 AM   #259
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

"A lot of cats put down grass, because they say things like, it makes you lose your memory, you know. I just want to say that...um....I forgot my words, man." - public service announcement by Henry Roachclip (Cheech and Chong)
Old 27th November 2019, 07:45 AM   #260
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

This may be geographic thing, not (just) a stoner thing.

We don't put on airs here in the Western states. We are expansive thinkers, unbound by quaint, old timey concepts. We surf in the morning and snow ski in the afternoon. We don't eat weird hot dogs encrusted in pretzel. We dress for comfort.

JK! Back when I was a big shot consultant, of course I had to dress properly for work. Pompous, restrictive garb such as jeans and tennies.

Last edited by varwoche; 27th November 2019 at 07:47 AM.
varwoche is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 07:49 AM   #261
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
This may be geographic thing, not (just) a stoner thing.

We don't put on airs here in the Western states. We are expansive thinkers, unbound by quaint, old timey concepts. We surf in the morning and snow ski in the afternoon. We don't eat weird hot dogs encrusted in pretzel. We dress for comfort.

JK! Back when I was a big shot consultant, of course I had to dress properly for work. Pompous, restrictive garb such as jeans and tennies.
Bolo ties are harbingers of the inevitable hangmans noose, and rightly so.
Old 27th November 2019, 08:01 AM   #262
ahhell
Master Poster

I was born and raised in CA, I think pot should be legal but that the DEA should become the SEA, Sandal Enforcement Agency. Any one who is more than 250ft from a pool,lake, river or ocean while wearing sandals should have their feet replaced.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 08:04 AM   #263
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I was born and raised in CA, I think pot should be legal but that the DEA should become the SEA, Sandal Enforcement Agency. Any one who is more than 250ft from a pool,lake, river or ocean while wearing sandals should have their feet replaced.
Finally, a practical proposal.

If you lower that to 100 ft.
Old 27th November 2019, 08:45 AM   #264
plague311
Great minds think...

"No shoes, No shirt, Never sandals"

Old 27th November 2019, 08:49 AM   #265
plague311
Great minds think...

spare me that. It is fact that weed is worse for you than smoking, and the fact the whole weed culture hides behind some creative unorthodox way of life farce is complete nonsense. They should accept conformity, give up on on hemp fantasy and drink beer like the rest of us. Filthy skateboarding scum.... scooterers to!
Ok, Boomer.

Old 27th November 2019, 08:57 AM   #266
rockysmith76
Critical Thinker

Ok, Boomer.
Not a boomer you dirt munching stoner (instead of hippy; and for note, they started the name calling so.....)
Old 27th November 2019, 08:58 AM   #267
Belz...
Fiend God

It is fact that weed is worse for you than smoking
It is? Evidence, please?

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 09:00 AM   #268
3point14
Pi

You're getting your data from Fast Times At Ridgemont High?

This explains a lot.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 09:06 AM   #269
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It is? Evidence, please?
Pot makes people dress badly. Smoking doesn't affect which clothes are worn, but it does make those clothes smell bad. So let's be Solomon and wisely split the difference: both smokers of pot and smokers of tobacco should be cut in half. Yes, this made perfect sense. If you think it doesn't it's because your ratiocinatory powers have degraded over time from prolonged use of filthy, filthy drugs.
Old 27th November 2019, 09:24 AM   #270
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
You're getting your data from Fast Times At Ridgemont High?

This explains a lot.
No, I'm not. I'm getting it from brothers and sisters and friends of brothers and sisters and other people I attended school with. Jeff Spiccoli was a caricature of the real thing. My younger brother for almost a decade only cared about his next joint. I never visited his domicile without seeing the ever present bong on the coffee table. The same goes for two of my sisters and one of my older brothers. My younger brother cut down on the weed a while back. But I definitely see lasting effects. He slurs his words. He never did when he was younger before he smoked. Now of course something else could be the cause of that.
Old 27th November 2019, 09:31 AM   #271
3point14
Pi

No, I'm not. I'm getting it from brothers and sisters and friends of brothers and sisters and other people I attended school with.
(Snipped here because, well, look at it)

Have I mentioned I think you need a stats course?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 09:35 AM   #272
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I don't give a crap that you think there aren't individuals out there that are stoners consumed by the drug. I know better and so do you.
Old 27th November 2019, 09:39 AM   #273
3point14
Pi

I don't give a crap that you think there aren't individuals out there that are stoners consumed by the drug. I know better and so do you.
No, you think you know better.

You've ignorantly decided that your world represents the whole of the world and everything, everywhere else is the same as you experience it.

This is why you foolishly obtain your erroneous assumptions:

... from brothers and sisters and friends of brothers and sisters and other people I attended school with.

Which is the very definition of s self selecting sample. If you did a stats course, you'd know that.

What this self selecting sample gives you is a result you can have no confidence in. If you did a stats course, you'd know that.

Making decisions, of any nature, based on observations in which you have no confidence is a foolish thing to do. If you did a stats course, you'd know this.

Basing your judgement only on the massively limited scope of your own life experience is something only someone who knew nothing about statistics would do.

In short, you simply do not have enough information to make the pronouncements you do. But you do it anyway.

I think what would help, maybe, is a stats course.

Old 27th November 2019, 09:40 AM   #274
Belz...
Fiend God

Why, though? He has a tentative conclusion based on limited observation. He hasn't made a statistical claim, to the best of my knowledge.

Old 27th November 2019, 09:44 AM   #275
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ArchSas View Post
Evidence? As others keep pointing out to you, you're relying entirely on anecdotes; as the sayings go "anecdotes aren't evidence" and "the plural of anecdote is not data. There's a reason anecdotal evidence is considered a logical fallacy.
No, I am not. I've cited at least ten articles. The anecdotes are first hand experiences that I find highly valuable. What I find absurd is the argument that no one else hasn't encountered such individuals. That somehow, I have lived in a bubble of outliers.
Old 27th November 2019, 09:44 AM   #276
3point14
Pi

Why, though? He has a tentative conclusion based on limited observation. He hasn't made a statistical claim, to the best of my knowledge.
He makes absolute claims based on extremely limited, uncontrolled observation.

He's indulging in godawful thinking. If we were on a board about knitting or horses or football I'd let it go, but we're not. He's literally countenancing a method of discovery that is the absolute antitheses of what we're supposed to be about here. It's ******* insulting, quite frankly, to bring that weakest of sauce around here and expect to get away with it.

If he wants to indulge in thinking that wooly and not get called on it, he's in the wrong place.

Old 27th November 2019, 09:47 AM   #277
Belz...
Fiend God

He makes absolute claims based on extremely limited, uncontrolled observation.
He's made it clear that it's his opinion based on his own experience. What more do you want? Do you want him to give you his margin of error?

Quote:
He's indulging in godawful thinking.
Looks pretty standard to me.

Here's the real question: is he wrong, or right?

Old 27th November 2019, 09:49 AM   #278
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I wasn't referring to YOU being close-minded. To most non-skeptics and especially woo believers, the stereotypical skeptic is close-minded. And according to your own logic, that means it must be rooted in truth. Also, apparently Asians are bad drivers, women suck at math, jocks are dumb, and nerds all wear thick black glasses and pocket protectors.
Point taken. That said, from the time I was 13 to around 30, I lived two lives. One of which was a drug culture where about the only thing that mattered was the buzz. The other was a safe haven away from it.
Old 27th November 2019, 09:52 AM   #279
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I love my sandals and I live in the Northwest.
Old 27th November 2019, 09:55 AM   #280
3point14
Pi

He's made it clear that it's his opinion based on his own experience. What more do you want? Do you want him to give you his margin of error?

Looks pretty standard to me.

Here's the real question: is he wrong, or right?

He's pretty much entirely wrong about distribution. Which is what knackered sample sizes will do, yes. He's entirely wrong in his outlook. And that's because he's employed godawful thinking to get there.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics