ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , impeachment , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Reply
Old 27th November 2019, 03:26 AM   #1
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 87,061
House Impeachment Inquiry - part 2

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I have read somewhere that the Sergeant at Arms of the United States Senate is responsible for enforcing the attendance of those summoned by the Senate.
Again: what are they going to do? Send in the S-A-A to arrest Trump? He'll have the Secret Service throw him out.

That's the 'weakness' of the rule of law: it seems that is requires liberal amounts of forebearance, and if you have people in government who just don't play by the rules of the game, then you can't do anything about them.

Not to say that the alternative is any better.

Mod InfoThread continued from here. You may quote or reply to any of the posts from that thread here.
Posted By:zooterkin
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward



Last edited by zooterkin; 27th November 2019 at 09:14 AM.
Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 04:11 AM   #2
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 27,507
Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Because most people don't read much news, and they sure as heck don't go to political forums.
IMO that's true the world over. Most people are too busy living their lives to invest a lot of time becoming familiar with all of the major issues of the day. Instead they rely on soundbites and/or adopt positions from trusted sources like friends, relatives and celebrities that they respect.

Nuance has very little place in that scenario and a simple, but wrong, message is more easily consumed than a complicated, nuanced one. People are too busy holding down jobs, raising families and making ends meet and most choose to spend their leisure time doing something other than reading manifestos, gathering opinions from a wide range of sources and engaging in informed debate.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 07:54 AM   #3
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 26,081
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
IMO that's true the world over. Most people are too busy living their lives to invest a lot of time becoming familiar with all of the major issues of the day. Instead they rely on soundbites and/or adopt positions from trusted sources like friends, relatives and celebrities that they respect.

Nuance has very little place in that scenario and a simple, but wrong, message is more easily consumed than a complicated, nuanced one. People are too busy holding down jobs, raising families and making ends meet and most choose to spend their leisure time doing something other than reading manifestos, gathering opinions from a wide range of sources and engaging in informed debate.
This is something of a derail into the UK General Election, so I'm going to spoiler it:

I think this is the biggest mistake Jeremy Corbyn is making at the moment. His Brexit position actually makes a lot of sense - negotiate a fair deal with the EU, and then hold a second referendum where the public can vote once they've been informed of all the good and bad points of what it is they're actually voting for.

The problem is that this is a fairly nuanced take, and one that's easy to paint as being "wishy-washy". The Tory position of "let's get Brexit done" and the Lib Dem position of "we are going to revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU" are much stronger policies, even if they're less workable and less sensible than Corbyn's position.


A quick, easily digestible slogan is always going to win out over "this is a complicated situation, which requires a nuanced solution" simply because, as you say, everybody has got enough going on in their own lives that it's rare for people to be informed, let alone fully informed, about what is actually going on.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 07:59 AM   #4
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 24,614
Further to what's been said about the Republicans not needing Ukrainian investigations to smear Biden, Lickspittle Lindsey Graham has requested documents and transcripts related to Biden and the sacking of corrupt Ukrainian prosecutor Shokin, so they're going with the smear anyway.

On a slightly different tack, Sen John Kennedy went on Fox to push the Kremlin's "it wasn't Russia it was Ukraine" CT then back-tracked on CNN where it wouldn't be seen by Fox viewers. Needless to say, Fox won't report said back-tracking, so job done. Trump is, of course, a Fox viewer, so he'll be thinking kindly of Kennedy.

Is there a Republican left who isn't a complete POS?
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 08:07 AM   #5
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,335
delete, think I misunderstood the post.

Last edited by phiwum; 27th November 2019 at 08:08 AM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 08:10 AM   #6
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 87,061
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
A quick, easily digestible slogan is always going to win out over "this is a complicated situation, which requires a nuanced solution" simply because, as you say, everybody has got enough going on in their own lives that it's rare for people to be informed, let alone fully informed, about what is actually going on.
And yet they could be informed if they wanted to. No excuse.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 08:30 AM   #7
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 17,996
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
And yet they could be informed if they wanted to. No excuse.
The obvious excuse is people on political forums are just overinflating the importance of the subject they care about. It isn't more important what other people have going on in their lives.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 08:40 AM   #8
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 23,891
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post

Is there a Republican left who isn't a complete POS?
If so, they are hiding it well.

Always remember, Trump isn't the cause of the complete corruption of what used to be my party. He's the result. It goes back at least 50 years.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 12:39 PM   #9
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 12,002
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Again: what are they going to do? Send in the S-A-A to arrest Trump? He'll have the Secret Service throw him out.

That's the 'weakness' of the rule of law: it seems that is requires liberal amounts of forebearance, and if you have people in government who just don't play by the rules of the game, then you can't do anything about them.

Not to say that the alternative is any better.

Mod InfoThread continued from here. You may quote or reply to any of the posts from that thread here.
Posted By:zooterkin
Secret Service agents take the same oath as any other federal law enforcement officer, not substantially different from the one taken by presidents. In other words, a Secret Service agent who prevents the legal arrest of someone under their protection would be violating their oath and the law. An agent responsible for the protection of the president would likely insist on accompanying their charge, but that should be the limit of their objections.

The idea that the Secret Service are responsible to the president personally is incorrect and I expect very few would claim any significant loyalty to the occupant of the office over their duty to the law.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 12:47 PM   #10
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,431
The Secret Service are there to protect the president from illegal harm. Being detained legally by the SAA ofthe Senate is not illegal, by definition.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 02:26 PM   #11
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 14,164
And then there's this:

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/...ral-women.html
Gordon Sondland, the Portland businessman in the middle of the Trump impeachment, committed sexual misconduct against three women. The women allege that Sondland retaliated professionally against the women after they rejected his advances. Sondland said the allegations are untrue.

Not really sure what effect this will have on the impeachment inquire. After all, Sondland was at one time "Trump's guy", but he ended up providing some rather damaging testimony against Stubby McBonespurs. Now we know that that testimony was coming from a possible serial sexual harasser.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 02:52 PM   #12
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,431
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
And then there's this:

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/...ral-women.html
Gordon Sondland, the Portland businessman in the middle of the Trump impeachment, committed sexual misconduct against three women. The women allege that Sondland retaliated professionally against the women after they rejected his advances. Sondland said the allegations are untrue.

Not really sure what effect this will have on the impeachment inquire. After all, Sondland was at one time "Trump's guy", but he ended up providing some rather damaging testimony against Stubby McBonespurs. Now we know that that testimony was coming from a possible serial sexual harasser.
Because they are trying to play the "smear them in **** so they smell bad" card. Effectively, if Gordo is "a serial predator" then obviously all his damning evidence before the Impeachment Inquiry is "suspect" and "not to be believed", etc.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 27th November 2019 at 02:55 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 03:42 PM   #13
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 88,462
I see Trump has started to distance himself from this Julieanna bloke, he may have been in the same room once as Trump, he was probably fetching the covfefe.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 03:47 PM   #14
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,777
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
It's not working.
November National Poll: Support for Impeachment Declines
Evidently this post was a premature ejaculation. I guess desperation can cause you to cherry pick that one poll that tells you what you want to hear. LOL!

Polls since then:

Support +7
Support +12
Support +5

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...rump-6956.html
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 04:37 PM   #15
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,777
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Seriously? What's the point of the impeachment proceedings, then? To make GOP senators feel at least a little bit of shame when they vote to keep President Trump in office?
Some of us still believe in doing our job, even if some of our co-workers are incompetent/corrupt sleazeballs. Of course, your mileage may vary: I'm quite aware that simply Doing the Right Thing is a foreign concept to the modern Republican.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 04:41 PM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,698
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Some of us still believe in doing our job, even if some of our co-workers are incompetent/corrupt sleazeballs. Of course, your mileage may vary: I'm quite aware that simply Doing the Right Thing is a foreign concept to the modern Republican.
That's so sweet. But what's the point of the impeachment inquiry? Is it just jobsworths doing their jobs?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 04:42 PM   #17
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,777
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Trump not winning in 2020 is literally the only way we can get rid of him that doesn't require a series of miracles so unlikely we might as well be invoking God. And impeaching him sends those odds into the basement.
Yeah, because having their representatives sit on their ass and do absolutely nothing to keep Trump in check is sure to inspire the constituents to come out in droves to vote Blue in 2020.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 04:45 PM   #18
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,777
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That's so sweet. But what's the point of the impeachment inquiry? Is it just jobsworths doing their jobs?
To keep the president in check, as the Constitution intended. If the Senate can't (or refuse to) do their job, that does not imply the House should throw their hands up and abdicate their responsibility, too.

Is this a foreign concept for you?

Last edited by Cabbage; 27th November 2019 at 04:52 PM.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 04:56 PM   #19
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 23,244
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That's so sweet. But what's the point of the impeachment inquiry? Is it just jobsworths doing their jobs?
Because justice, checks and balances as well as the rule of law are important and must be stood up for.

<snip>

Do you really want a President is accountable to no one?


Edited by Loss Leader:  Edited for Rules 0/12.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.

Last edited by Loss Leader; 27th November 2019 at 05:13 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 05:24 PM   #20
Cabbage
Graduate Poster
 
Cabbage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,777
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That's so sweet. But what's the point of the impeachment inquiry? Is it just jobsworths doing their jobs?

Oh, and that's simply an adorable attempt to mock those of us who still follow the Constitution. "Awww...they still believe in Constitutional checks and balances. That's so sweet!"

Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 06:38 PM   #21
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,925
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Oh, and that's simply an adorable attempt to mock those of us who still follow the Constitution. "Awww...they still believe in Constitutional checks and balances. That's so sweet!"

..because when you don't have some form of checks and balances on a national leader, there is a very high risk that you end up with North Korea, Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, Russia, Chile under Pinochet, Argentina under Videla and later, Viola and Galtieri.
__________________
"You can't promote principled anti-corruption action without pissing-off corrupt people!" - George Kent on Day one of the Trump Impeachment Hearings
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 06:43 PM   #22
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 77,055
Curious how many chickens that haven't hatched are being counted here by both the right and the left.

Anyone who thinks this impeachment hearing is over isn't paying attention.

Jonathan Turley was on a news talk show this morning repeating the GOP lie that Trump's being impeached on the basis of one letter. It's Lindsay Graham's oft repeated BS as if time stopped a month ago.

Meanwhile all sorts of interesting new evidence is emerging like Rudy trying to get the CEO of Ukraine's large natural gas company dismissed because it opened up a chance for Trump and Giuliani to make some dishonest money. People involved are all turning on Trump and Rudy.

The Judiciary Committee hearing doesn't start for a week. Trump bitched that the Intelligence Committee hearing was bad because it was held behind closed doors, then bitched it was bad because it wasn't confidential behind closed doors. I wonder what Trump will say now that Trump's attorneys are invited to the next round? Think Giuliani is going to be there while refusing to testify?

That should be interesting.

Meanwhile McGahn will likely have to testify. Bolton is going to see Trump pushing Rudy under the bus. Do you think he can read that wall writing about self preservation?

One of the two partners of Giuliani not only is testifying, Lordy he has tapes and supposedly Trump is on them.

Shift over to perjury in his Mueller Report testimony, tax and election fraud brewing over there in the NY Fed District Court. And what else will be revealed in Trump's taxes? The Democrats have a good case for releasing those tax forms and it's too late for Trump to change out any NY prosecutors involved, whether they serve at his pleasure or not.

Barr, Trump, and many in the public may believe the Mueller Report was sufficiently dead and buried, but like Trump's typical fantasies, not so fast.
__________________
That new avatar is cuteness overload.
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 27th November 2019 at 06:46 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 06:43 PM   #23
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 23,891
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I see Trump has started to distance himself from this Julieanna bloke, he may have been in the same room once as Trump, he was probably fetching the covfefe.
I suggest investing in Motor Coach Industries. Guess what they make.

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Because justice, checks and balances as well as the rule of law are important and must be stood up for.

<snip>

Do you really want a President is accountable to no one?


Edited by Loss Leader:  Edited for Rules 0/12.
Only the ones that aren't Democrats or *******.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 06:44 PM   #24
Stacyhs
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 9,880
But, but....Trump is the Chosen One! What is wrong with you Constitution supporters?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 06:55 PM   #25
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 23,244
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I suggest investing in Motor Coach Industries. Guess what they make.



Only the ones that aren't Democrats or *******.
It's dangerous even if they are in your own party. I don't agree with every Democratic position and my guess is Prestige doesn't universally agree with every Republican position.

What is to stop a President reversing course against your party's principles after he is a King/Dicktator?

I hate to pull a Godwin here but Hitler dramatically changed his stances on lots of issues. Once a leader becomes unaccountable everyone is screwed except the special few.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 08:30 PM   #26
mgidm86
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,927
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
And yet they could be informed if they wanted to. No excuse.

Maybe many do try to stay informed. Everyone thinks their news is the correct news, unbiased and all that. It's a minefield of bullcrap.

People may actually believe CNN is still an impartial news source, or FOX. I can't think of a single source that I completely trust. Not even close.

I come here often to hear the "rest of the story" or at least get a few different takes on it. I learn more here than I can at any news site. Still have to sort through the bull

Which of us has the real news and the correct opinions? None of us.
__________________
Franklin understands certain kickbacks you obtain unfairly are legal liabilities; however, a risky deed's almost never detrimental despite extra external pressures.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 09:21 PM   #27
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 23,244
Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Maybe many do try to stay informed. Everyone thinks their news is the correct news, unbiased and all that. It's a minefield of bullcrap.

People may actually believe CNN is still an impartial news source, or FOX. I can't think of a single source that I completely trust. Not even close.

I come here often to hear the "rest of the story" or at least get a few different takes on it. I learn more here than I can at any news site. Still have to sort through the bull

Which of us has the real news and the correct opinions? None of us.
Most mainstream news is factual. Even the actual news reported on FAUX News not the opinion bs like Fox and Friends.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 10:05 PM   #28
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,090
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That's so sweet. But what's the point of the impeachment inquiry? Is it just jobsworths doing their jobs?
Ask this guy....

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2019, 10:48 PM   #29
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 77,055
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Ask this guy....

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Touché.

They're all such ******* hypocrites.


I'll wait 'til TP catches up with my post.
__________________
That new avatar is cuteness overload.
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 01:13 AM   #30
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,925
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Ask this guy....

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Hypocrisy Gold!!
__________________
"You can't promote principled anti-corruption action without pissing-off corrupt people!" - George Kent on Day one of the Trump Impeachment Hearings
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 01:32 AM   #31
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 12,925
Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Maybe many do try to stay informed. Everyone thinks their news is the correct news, unbiased and all that. It's a minefield of bullcrap.

People may actually believe CNN is still an impartial news source, or FOX. I can't think of a single source that I completely trust. Not even close.

I come here often to hear the "rest of the story" or at least get a few different takes on it. I learn more here than I can at any news site. Still have to sort through the bull

Which of us has the real news and the correct opinions? None of us.

Here's the thing. While most news outlets have a bias one way or the other, I trust those who rigorously fact check their stories and generally rely on multiple sources (or when single sourcing, that source is a known reliable one with a good reputation) before they go to air with a story. This is the reason why I tend to rely on NBC, CBS, CNN and MSNBC as my primary video news sources, and WaPo and NYT as primary "print" media sources for US political news.

But even more than that, I trust sources that will retract a story when they get it wrong or report falsely. The above mentioned outlets do this every time they get it wrong (which isn't actually very often. - its rare that a false story gets past their tough fact-checking standards).

However, this is entirely not the case with Faux News. They clearly do not have rigorous fact checking because they regularly air incorrect stories or false reporting, and then when the are outed for it, rather than issue a retraction, they gloss over the errors with an attitude of "Oh well, moving right along". The only reason I ever tune in to Faux News is to quickly catch up on what lies they are telling their viewers this week.

I have yet to find a right-bias news source as diligent in their reporting as the others I mentioned earlier.
__________________
"You can't promote principled anti-corruption action without pissing-off corrupt people!" - George Kent on Day one of the Trump Impeachment Hearings
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list.
This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 02:21 AM   #32
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 26,081
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Most mainstream news is factual.
"Factual" is not the same thing as "impartial" or "unbiased". Even just choosing what to report is an exercise in bias.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 03:17 AM   #33
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 87,061
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Secret Service agents take the same oath as any other federal law enforcement officer, not substantially different from the one taken by presidents. In other words, a Secret Service agent who prevents the legal arrest of someone under their protection would be violating their oath and the law. An agent responsible for the protection of the president would likely insist on accompanying their charge, but that should be the limit of their objections.

The idea that the Secret Service are responsible to the president personally is incorrect and I expect very few would claim any significant loyalty to the occupant of the office over their duty to the law.
Sure, sure. In theory. But what about actual reality?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 03:47 AM   #34
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 19,274
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
And then there's this:

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/...ral-women.html
Gordon Sondland, the Portland businessman in the middle of the Trump impeachment, committed sexual misconduct against three women. The women allege that Sondland retaliated professionally against the women after they rejected his advances. Sondland said the allegations are untrue.

Not really sure what effect this will have on the impeachment inquire. After all, Sondland was at one time "Trump's guy", but he ended up providing some rather damaging testimony against Stubby McBonespurs. Now we know that that testimony was coming from a possible serial sexual harasser.
I just assumed he'd done something like that. It's a requirement to work for Trump that you engage in sexual misconduct.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 06:22 AM   #35
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,335
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Here's the thing. While most news outlets have a bias one way or the other, I trust those who rigorously fact check their stories and generally rely on multiple sources (or when single sourcing, that source is a known reliable one with a good reputation) before they go to air with a story. This is the reason why I tend to rely on NBC, CBS, CNN and MSNBC as my primary video news sources, and WaPo and NYT as primary "print" media sources for US political news.

But even more than that, I trust sources that will retract a story when they get it wrong or report falsely. The above mentioned outlets do this every time they get it wrong (which isn't actually very often. - its rare that a false story gets past their tough fact-checking standards).

However, this is entirely not the case with Faux News. They clearly do not have rigorous fact checking because they regularly air incorrect stories or false reporting, and then when the are outed for it, rather than issue a retraction, they gloss over the errors with an attitude of "Oh well, moving right along". The only reason I ever tune in to Faux News is to quickly catch up on what lies they are telling their viewers this week.

I have yet to find a right-bias news source as diligent in their reporting as the others I mentioned earlier.
The Wall Street Journal meets your needs.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 06:44 AM   #36
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler
 
Horatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 27,419
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That's so sweet. But what's the point of the impeachment inquiry? Is it just jobsworths doing their jobs?


Back when I said "We need "So little doubt that even the most corrupt ******** in the Senate finally feel some shame in trying to publicly claim there's still some doubt" levels of evidence", I wasn't just thinking about Senators. That line applies to just about everyone still supporting the Republican Party at this point, which means you.

There's no way you can't honestly see how bad the evidence against Trump is. The problem is, you apparently don't seem to care about that. You're happy playing these stupid reindeer games instead of doing what you know is right. So when I talk about "feel some shame in trying to publicly claim there's still some doubt" levels of evidence, I'm talking about you. These hearing need to continue until there's enough evidence on the table that even you finally throw your hands up and admit Trump needs to go, and needs to go now.
__________________
Obviously, that means cats are indeed evil and that ownership or display of a feline is an overt declaration of one's affiliation with dark forces. - Cl1mh4224rd
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 06:46 AM   #37
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,698
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Ask this guy....

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
yt;dw
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 07:00 AM   #38
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 10,282
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
yt;dw
It's Graham talking about the Clinton Impeachment, and how vital it was to impeach even if the Senate would not convict.
__________________
“Impeachment is not about punishment. Impeachment is about cleansing the office. Impeachment is about restoring honor and integrity to the office.”-Sen. Lindsey Graham
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 07:07 AM   #39
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,698
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It's Graham talking about the Clinton Impeachment, and how vital it was to impeach even if the Senate would not convict.
Thanks.

PhantomWolf, is Graham's argument supposed to be your argument? Is that why you posted it?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2019, 07:09 AM   #40
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 10,171
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
The Wall Street Journal meets your needs.
I don't read it much because I don't subscribe, but I see it as valuable because it's also owned by Murdoch. If it reports anything negative about Trump it's much harder for conservatives to write it off as "fake news." The WSJ needs to retain its credibility as a serious news source. Fox News has no such issue.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:08 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.