ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Danielle Stella , Ilhan Omar , minnesota elections , Minnesota politics , Twitter incidents

Old 1st December 2019, 07:02 AM   #1
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Ilhan Omar's Opponent Wants Her Hung

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...witter-919956/

One of Ilhan Omar's potential 2020 GOP opponents wants the Congresswoman hung. Danielle Stella, currently running for her party's nomination to unseat Omar stated that she should be tried for treason and hung. The Republican apparently believes a conspiracy theory that Omar is an agent of Qatar and is passing information on behalf of that country to Iran. It goes without saying that there is no evidence for Omar working for Qatar.

As any committed Trump supporters should, she also has issues with criminality, a common trait for their kind.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ny-qanon-trump
Old 1st December 2019, 07:30 AM   #2
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

3 years ago UK politician Jo Cox was shot twice in the head, once in the chest, and stabbed 15 times by a Brexiteer extremist. This was brought up in Parliament recently in the context of the rhetoric being used by Brexiteer politicians fuelling hate and potentially encouraging another murderer. This has not caused a softening of rhetoric.

I imagine it's only a matter of time before a US politician is murdered by someone who buys in to rhetoric by the woman in the OP. I don't imagine it will change much.

Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 0 and rule 12.

Last edited by zooterkin; 4th December 2019 at 03:51 AM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 07:54 AM   #3
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Hanged not hung.
lobosrul5 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 08:02 AM   #4
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Sounds like she's a criminal and a lunatic. Fits right in with the Republiscum Party.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 08:07 AM   #5
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Hanged not hung.
I was quoting her but I stand corrected.
Old 1st December 2019, 08:09 AM   #6
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

I saw this on a news report last night. From the linked Rolling Stone article:
Quote:
On Tuesday, Republican candidate, Danielle Stella spread a false story about the freshman congresswoman’s involvement in passing along classified information regarding Iran. One of Stella’s completely false tweets read: “If it is proven @IlhanMN passed sensitive info to Iran, she should be tried for #treason and hanged.” According to the Washington Post, the candidate also shared a tweet that linked to a depiction of a hanging stick figure. Twitter confirmed the suspension to the paper earlier this week.
Danielle Stella has been permanently suspended from Twitter and she responded by accusing Twitter of always protecting "terrorists, traitors, pedophiles and rapists.” I guess it should be noted that Stella has registered to run as a Republican but without much support except on the far right.

She made news earlier this year when it was reported she had been arrested twice for shoplifting from stores in a Minneapolis suburb. Honestly sounds to me like she has some mental health issues.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 10:06 AM   #7
shemp

From The Guardian link above:

Quote:
The report said Stella was arrested for alleged misdemeanour theft for taking “cat merchandise” and cat food valued at $40.46. She was issued with a citation and given a date to appear in court. It was not clear whether authorities would pursue the contempt of court allegation.
Crazy cat lady alert!
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 10:28 AM   #8
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Honestly sounds to me like she has some mental health issues.
Well, she is a Trump supporter.
Old 1st December 2019, 10:29 AM   #9
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
From The Guardian link above:

Crazy cat lady alert!
I wonder if the cat told her to do it.
Old 1st December 2019, 10:54 AM   #10
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.kentucky.com/opinion/op-...237294774.html

A tendency towards political violence is a defining feature of Trumptrash. Their kind lack the ability of forming logical arguments so they have to resort to violence. Stella certainly isn't unique among the anti America crowd who support Trump.
Old 1st December 2019, 11:00 AM   #11
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Obviously she shouldn't be executed unless she's actually proven guilty of treason. That said, I'd have no problem if Ms Omar were, so to speak,... hung.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 11:39 AM   #12
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Obviously she shouldn't be executed unless she's actually proven guilty of treason. That said, I'd have no problem if Ms Omar were, so to speak,... hung.
Rather than acknowledging that Stella obviously has mental problems and that her fantasies of Omar's 'treason' are a result of those problems, you imply there is some basis to them. Unless she's "actually proven guilty of treason"?

Do you think using "so to speak" absolves you from not so subtly promoting this conspiracy theory?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 11:40 AM   #13
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Hanged not hung.
Thank you! Pictures are hung, people are hanged.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 11:48 AM   #14
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Thank you! Pictures are hung, people are hanged.
Speak for yourself!
Old 1st December 2019, 11:57 AM   #15
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Speak for yourself!
That obvious retort is not up to your usual caliber, TM. It's too predictable. I've come to expect far better wit from you.
Besides, being female, I can't really apply it to myself.
Old 1st December 2019, 12:23 PM   #16
Garrison
Illuminator

Rather than acknowledging that Stella obviously has mental problems and that her fantasies of Omar's 'treason' are a result of those problems, you imply there is some basis to them. Unless she's "actually proven guilty of treason"?

Do you think using "so to speak" absolves you from not so subtly promoting this conspiracy theory?
Well it illustrates the methodology of the Republicans, let some nutcase they can disown put the theory out there so they can then discuss it with the whole 'I'm not saying its true' angle.
Old 1st December 2019, 12:28 PM   #17
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Speak for yourself!
Yes, some people are indeed hung, but that's very different than the current subject.
lobosrul5 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 12:45 PM   #18
shemp

Speak for yourself!
Please do not provide us with evidence.
Old 1st December 2019, 06:25 PM   #19
mgidm86
Philosopher

Yes, some people are indeed hung, but that's very different than the current subject.

And the ones that are never have to mention it themselves.
Old 1st December 2019, 09:25 PM   #20
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
3 years ago UK politician Jo Cox was shot twice in the head, once in the chest, and stabbed 15 times by a Brexiteer extremist. This was brought up in Parliament recently in the context of the rhetoric being used by Brexiteer politicians fuelling hate and potentially encouraging another murderer. This has not caused a softening of rhetoric.

I imagine it's only a matter of time before a US politician is murdered by someone who buys in to rhetoric by the woman in the OP. I don't imagine it will change much.

Incidentally, while you're only posting on a public internet forum rather than as a politician yourself, Craig, I don't think the rhetoric that you frequently employ is any better. To me it seems much the same, just with a smaller platform.
Gabrielle Giffords already happened. I think she's fine now, but the shooter who hit her also hit a few other people who weren't so lucky.
Old 2nd December 2019, 01:33 AM   #21
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Gabrielle Giffords already happened. I think she's fine now, but the shooter who hit her also hit a few other people who weren't so lucky.
Depends on your definition of fine.

This was her at the beginning of the year....

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 01:37 AM   #22
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

The sad thing is that Danielle Stella's behavior is typical of elected Republicans.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 02:15 AM   #23
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
The sad thing is that Danielle Stella's behavior is typical of elected Republicans.
When you have a President that is doing it, why should it be a problem that those lower down the ladder respond in kind?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 06:32 AM   #24
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
as much as I like to tar Republicans, I'm not sure this is accurate. Stella is exceptionally unhinged, even for right wing cranks. It seems pretty clear that she has some significant mental illness.

She hasn't even secured the primary yet. She makes headlines because of her wild behavior, but there really isn't any evidence that she is even viable to secure the nomination.
Old 2nd December 2019, 06:57 AM   #25
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

This particular incident is typical of elected Republicans anymore.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 07:03 AM   #26
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

There's a growing "nutbag" wing of the party, with a handful of open Q-anon candidates, but this is still very much the fringe. The fringe I'm more worried about is the nationalist and proto-fascist wings, which are having much more success infiltrating and taking over the party.
Old 2nd December 2019, 07:56 AM   #27
Donal
Illuminator

How is it the fringe when you have the Very Stupid President pushing their conspiracies? When Gym Jordan, Elise Stafanik ,and Devin Moooones are pushing these theories during Congressional hearings?

When Senators McConnell, Graham, and Kennedy go on the Sunday talk shows and discuss them?

The violent lunatic fringe is running the GOP. Everyone really needs to come to terms with that fact.
Old 2nd December 2019, 07:57 AM   #28
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

LOL. I guess I just don't take this as seriously as you do. I know nothing more about Stella's alleged mental problems than I do about Omar's alleged treason - that is, I know nothing at all about these things. And I don't much care.

What I was actually saying was this:

"It's premature to talk about sentencing if you haven't even proved a crime."

And this:

"I think Ms Omar would make an attractive dickgirl."

Go peddle your outrage and your conspiracy theories somewhere else.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:03 AM   #29
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Actually, the only one coming close to peddling conspiracy theories would be you, not her.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:18 AM   #30
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Actually, the only one coming close to peddling conspiracy theories would be you, not her.
I disagree. She's accusing me of some kind of partisan rhetorical trick.

Since I'm not actually peddling any kind of theory about Omar (other than the attractive dickgirl thing, which isn't a conspiracy as far as I know), she's closer than I am, at this point.

Not that it matters.
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:24 AM   #31
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Since I'm not actually peddling any kind of theory about Omar (other than the attractive dickgirl thing, which isn't a conspiracy as far as I know), she's closer than I am, at this point.

Not that it matters.

Ah, but Stacyhs isn't peddling any sort of conspiracy theory at all: Indeed, she's condemning others who are peddling conspiracy theories. You, on the other hand, are merely waving your hands and saying, "I don't know" about the conspiracy theory.....It doesn't even deserve the agnosticism level you are gifting it with.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:28 AM   #32
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, but Stacyhs isn't peddling any sort of conspiracy theory at all: Indeed, she's condemning others who are peddling conspiracy theories. You, on the other hand, are merely waving your hands and saying, "I don't know" about the conspiracy theory.....It doesn't even deserve the agnosticism level you are gifting it with.
LOL. Okay, sure. What now?
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:45 AM   #33
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

LOL. Okay, sure. What now?
Help me out here: Which part are you unable to comprehend?
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:47 AM   #34
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Help me out here: Which part are you unable to comprehend?
1. The part where I'm at all close to peddling a conspiracy theory

2. The part where I should care.
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:47 AM   #35
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Not that it matters.

Oh, and if you dislike being accused of partisan rhetorical tricks, my sincere advice would be for you to stop employing partisan rhetorical tricks.

That should help, honestly.

You're Welcome!
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:48 AM   #36
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, and if you dislike being accused of partisan rhetorical tricks, my sincere advice would be for you to stop employing partisan rhetorical tricks.
I'm getting accused of stuff I'm not doing. Your solution is no good.
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:09 AM   #37
catsmate
No longer the 1

Hanged not hung.
A grammatical nicety that most USAians, especially Republicans, are unaware of.

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Sounds like she's a criminal and a lunatic. Fits right in with the Republiscum Party.
Indeed.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:30 AM   #38
Belz...
Fiend God

I'm getting accused of stuff I'm not doing.
Do you want to take a poll on that?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:33 AM   #39
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

I think the difference between the average republican politician and Stella is that she seems to honestly believe this crazy stuff as opposed to just cynically advancing conspiracy theories for political advantage.

She's got the crazy real bad. The Republican CT grifters are much more reprehensible, because they know what they say is bogus and they still do it.
Old 2nd December 2019, 12:03 PM   #40
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Please identify what "conspiracy theories" I have 'peddled' in my post. If I did so, you should have no problem identifying them.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics