ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , impeachment , Michael Cohen , political speculation , Trump controversies

Old 19th January 2019, 09:07 AM   #81
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I assure you, it was a question I actually want an answer to.
No you did not, because you would not have asked a loaded question, fallacious question.

You want the benefit of my wisdom? Ask a proper question.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2019, 10:18 AM   #82
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Hmmm, you think that Mueller being forced to release a statement tonight contradicting the buzzfeed report is going to trash them?

I am skeptical. Walk us through that...
The liberals (both here and elsewhere) sure never seem to learn, do they? I mean, Jason Leopold, whose previous big "scoop" was that Karl Rove had been indicted?

Note that article, from 2006, was already referring to Leopold as a serial fabulist.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2019, 11:44 AM   #83
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
As one who shares your intrest in epistomology, I'd like to see the answer too.
The answer is obvious. It's because Mueller said something TBD wanted to hear.
jeremyp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2019, 01:21 PM   #84
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

So, you are saying DO NOT TRUST MUELLER?

Huh, ok. Won’t trust Mueller.

Well argued folks! So that makes buzzfeed’s unsupported article bull ****, and we should not trust mueller.

Great arguments!
Well, good try, but when it comes to sarcasm you won't even get near to theprestige.

Hans
Old 19th January 2019, 01:23 PM   #85
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

No you did not, because you would not have asked a loaded question, fallacious question.

You want the benefit of my wisdom? Ask a proper question.
OK, that got closer, but .... still a long way to go.

Hans
Old 19th January 2019, 01:36 PM   #86
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Quick question

Is anyone arguing for an alternative source of the leaks that isn't the NY State attorney office?
Could it be Manhattan-based feds - SDNY?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2019, 03:55 PM   #87
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Could it be Manhattan-based feds - SDNY?
Both have leaky reputations, right?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2019, 04:35 PM   #88
Venom
Master Poster

Hey what’s going on in this thread?

Mueller says that the Cohen story is ********.

Ohhhh, that is going to leave a mark.

Elmer Fudd voice: ladies and gentlemen, we got him!
Pulls up fake bugs bunny made out of TNT...

Narrator: they did not have him.
laughed a little longer than I should have
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2019, 04:57 PM   #89
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
The liberals (both here and elsewhere) sure never seem to learn, do they? I mean, Jason Leopold, whose previous big "scoop" was that Karl Rove had been indicted?

Note that article, from 2006, was already referring to Leopold as a serial fabulist.
Is that all you got? An erroneous article from the Valerie Plame outing more than a decade ago that you call his biggest scoop?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Leopold
Quote:
Leopold has written stories on BP, Enron, the California Energy Crisis, the Bush administration's torture policies, and the Plame affair. His pieces have been published in The Guardian,[7] Asia Times,[8] the Los Angeles Times, The Wall Street Journal, CBS MarketWatch,[9][10][11] The Nation, and Utne Reader. He has also written about foreign and domestic policy online for publications such as The Guardian,[7] Alternet, CounterPunch, Common Dreams, The Huffington Post, Political Affairs Magazine, The Raw Story, Scoop, ZNet and others....

Awards and achievements
Leopold is an Emmy nominated producer, the recipient of the FOI Award from Investigative Reporters and Editors and a member of the team awarded the Tom Renner Award in 2018 from Investigative Reporters and Editors, and a member of the team named a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in international reporting http://www.pulitzer.org/finalists/staff-buzzfeed-news. Leopold was inducted into the National Freedom of Information Hall of Fame by the Newseum Institute in 2016.

His stories have appeared three times on Project Censored's top-25 under-reported stories of the year: once in 2004, for a story he wrote about an alleged secret meeting Arnold Schwarzenegger had with Ken Lay prior to the film star's being elected Governor of California,[44] for a story he wrote on Halliburton in 2005,[45] and again in 2011 for a story he wrote on a controversial "spiritual fitness test" the Army required all of its enlisted soldiers.[46]

In 2008, Leopold received the Thomas Jefferson Award from the Military Religious Freedom Foundation.[47]
Your post is akin to people ragging on the Mueller investigation because of Strozk and Page's text exchanges.

You have Fox news writing false news reports on a daily basis. Let's see Hannity or Leopold, whose news should we trust more?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 19th January 2019 at 04:59 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2019, 10:42 PM   #90
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Is that all you got? An erroneous article from the Valerie Plame outing more than a decade ago that you call his biggest scoop?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Leopold
LOL! He's been published in the Utne Reader? Jeez, I'm impressed. The guy is famous for exactly two stories, the Rove one and this, and both of them proved to be wrong.

Quote:
Your post is akin to people ragging on the Mueller investigation because of Strozk and Page's text exchanges.
If Strozk and Page are the source of major allegations relevant to the Mueller investigation, I can see the relevance of your comment. The point is that Leopold has been caught on numerous occasions just making things up. The article that I linked to (on that well-known mostly liberal website the Columbia Journalism Review), noted:

Quote:
Leopold, you may recall, is the freelance reporter who was caught making stuff up in a 2002 Salon.com article, self-admittedly “getting it completely wrong” in pieces for Dow Jones, and had his own memoir cancelled because of concerns over the accuracy of quotations.
Quote:
You have Fox news writing false news reports on a daily basis. Let's see Hannity or Leopold, whose news should we trust more?
How about neither? I know, that's a mind-boggling concept, but it's certainly my stance.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2019, 11:16 PM   #91
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Passing peak Trump?
Yep.

Trump loses support among his core voting groups
Quote:
White evangelicals’ support for Trump, for instance, plunged a net 13 percentage points in the NPR poll, sinking to 66-23 percent approval from 73-17 percent in the December poll. Trump also lost support from noncollege-educated white men, with his approval falling to 50 percent from 56 percent and his disapproval ticking up 1 point to 35 percent.

Cracks even appeared in Trump’s seemingly impenetrable facade of overall Republican support: 83 percent of Republican respondents said they support the president in the most recent poll — down 7 points from the early December poll — while his disapproval in the party rose 3 points...

As the 2020 campaign heats up, NPR’s poll shows that just 30 percent of national registered voters say they will “definitely” vote for Trump. Nearly twice as many — 57 percent — say they will “definitely vote against him.”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trump1-17-2019.JPG (67.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 19th January 2019, 11:17 PM   #92
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Just FYI, some of us are way to the left of "liberal".
Old 20th January 2019, 12:04 AM   #93
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

LOL! He's been published in the Utne Reader? Jeez, I'm impressed. The guy is famous for exactly two stories, the Rove one and this, and both of them proved to be wrong.

If Strozk and Page are the source of major allegations relevant to the Mueller investigation, I can see the relevance of your comment. The point is that Leopold has been caught on numerous occasions just making things up. The article that I linked to (on that well-known mostly liberal website the Columbia Journalism Review), noted:

How about neither? I know, that's a mind-boggling concept, but it's certainly my stance.
Sorry, not impressed with your response Zig.
Old 20th January 2019, 06:01 AM   #94
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Lol, one day you'll be right it's just not today
Old 20th January 2019, 06:02 AM   #95
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Sorry, not impressed with your response Zig.
Brainster is now Zig?
Old 20th January 2019, 06:43 AM   #96
Matthew Best
Philosopher

So, you are saying DO NOT TRUST MUELLER?
Rule of So.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 10:13 AM   #97
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
I'll believe we got him when I hear on the news that he's in custody. Heh.
I'll believe we got him when I hear about some legitimate evidence of impropriety.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2019, 10:14 AM   #98
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I thought this whole thing died out when it became a joke on Weekend Update.
Old 21st January 2019, 06:26 PM   #99
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
I'll believe we got him when I hear about some legitimate evidence of impropriety.
Perhaps you should take your ear plugs out.

Or maybe read up on the laws he has broken, they are cited in one of these threads.

It's not a credible assertion that Trump has broken no laws just because he hasn't been charged yet. In fact that's laughable.
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:08 AM   #100
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

New Yorker interview with Rudy Giuliani

Quote:
But I can tell you, from the moment I read the story, I knew the story was false.

Because?

Because I have been through all the tapes, I have been through all the texts, I have been through all the e-mails, and I knew none existed. And then, basically, when the special counsel said that, just in case there are any others I might not know about, they probably went through others and found the same thing.

Wait, what tapes have you gone through?

I shouldn’t have said tapes. They alleged there were texts and e-mails that corroborated that Cohen was saying the President told him to lie. There were no texts, there were no e-mails, and the President never told him to lie.

So, there were no tapes you listened to, though?

No tapes. Well, I have listened to tapes, but none of them concern this.

This guy's not getting paid for this, I hope?

Or well, he's working for Trump so of course he's not going to get paid in the end; but I mean, in theory at least?
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:36 AM   #101
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I wouldn't hire Giuliani to represent me in a jay walking case.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:39 AM   #102
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
...at least not in a State that has the Death Penalty.
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:57 AM   #103
Venom
Master Poster

BuzzFeed News also isn't the same as BuzzFeed to my knowledge.

When people think BuzzFeed they usually think of the sensationalist tabloids and quirky videos they put out on YouTube.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2019, 02:39 PM   #104
mgidm86
Philosopher

It's the "Hillary Is Done" thread, reborn!
Old 22nd January 2019, 06:49 PM   #105
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I'd hire him as Exhibit A in a class action lawsuit against whoever provided his dentures.
Old 24th January 2019, 04:41 PM   #106
This is The End

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Sorry, but that is not right ...
I disagree. I'm leaning towards ChristianProgressive being correct under those circumstances.

If, for instance, it was found out that a candidate had hacked votes and really won no states then the other candidate would be the President.

Remember, just because there is no precedent for something does not mean that that something cannot exist in the future.

It would make no sense to further reward the cheating if cheating is proven.
Old 24th January 2019, 08:28 PM   #107
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
It's the "Hillary Is Done" thread, reborn!
Mirror Universe version.
Old 24th January 2019, 10:33 PM   #108
This is The End

The liberals (both here and elsewhere) sure never seem to learn, do they?

Yes tha liburuls. They so dum. For some weird reason they think it should be illegal for rich people to do things that are illegal.

Unless, of course, the rich people are also liburuls. LOL george soros. how dum would that be.

Liburuls are so dum amiright??

I actually remember when republicans weren't little brainwashed pussies. Those republicans would have had trump hanged for even thinking about getting help from russia. Literally hanged.
Old 24th January 2019, 11:57 PM   #109
Toontown
Philosopher

No, we don't have him. It's the other way around. He has our government, and he is systematically choking it down. And nobody is doing a goddamn thing about it. Everybody is talky-talk-talking about how they're going to do this and that. Meanwhile, the chokedown continues unabated.

And there aren't even enough votes in the the rat-infested senate to override his veto in the face of a collapsing government.

He's got us. And you know how he got us? He got us by telling a bunch of idiots he was going to build a Great Wall and make Mexico pay for it. That was some big, tough talk, and those idiots love that kinda big, tough talk.

Don't laugh, Europeans. You're next. You people are only a couple of IQ points smarter than Americans. That's not enough to make a difference.

Don't look now, but you've got another nasty little nazi infestation building up.

Last edited by Toontown; 25th January 2019 at 12:11 AM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2019, 12:16 AM   #110
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Mirror Universe version.
So which one has the Van Dykes?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2019, 01:37 AM   #111
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Lol, one day you'll be right it's just not today
So saith a member of the core voting group.
Old 25th January 2019, 06:50 AM   #112
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
So which one has the Van Dykes?
Both.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2019, 06:57 AM   #113
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

So we haven't got Trump yet, but Mueller does have the next best thing: Roger Stone.

I wonder how many people are currently ******** their pants, wondering what Stone might say about them to reduce his sentence.
Old 25th January 2019, 08:51 AM   #114
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

So Mueller got another coffee boy. Big deal......

I made this post in jest, but Huckabee Sanders is minimizing Stone's role in the campaign as I write this.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2019, 09:32 AM   #115
Leftus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
If, for instance, it was found out that a candidate had hacked votes and really won no states then the other candidate would be the President.

Remember, just because there is no precedent for something does not mean that that something cannot exist in the future.
The problem with that is there is no way of knowing what votes were flipped. If it's electronic voting, there really is no paper trail to audit the votes.

Also, wouldn't it be easier to have your black hats flip votes for your opponent to DQ them?
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2019, 08:37 AM   #116
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's campaign manager is in prison. His NSA plead out. His personal attorney is going to prison. His long-time friend/adviser had advance knowledge of wikileaks, and has been charged with crimes. Even his coffee boy went to prison. A gaggle of them lied about Russian contacts. And oh by the way, we have a backdrop of Trump being inexplicably subservient to Russia.

But there's no legitimate evidence?! In what alternate universe?
Old 20th May 2019, 01:23 PM   #117
Venom
Master Poster

Interestingly titled No President Is Above The Law Act would overturn the statute of limitations for federal offenses committed by the president.

Even if technically Trump could be indicted right now anyway, perhaps this could be used against past presidents?
Old 20th May 2019, 01:37 PM   #118
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Interestingly titled No President Is Above The Law Act would overturn the statute of limitations for federal offenses committed by the president.

Even if technically Trump could be indicted right now anyway, perhaps this could be used against past presidents?
Interesting question. It's generally better if new laws are not applied retroactively, making criminals out of people who acted within the law at the time. The US actually has constitutional restrictions against making laws retroactive. I'm not sure if changing the statute of limitations would survive a constitutional challenge, but for sure the first former president you tried to indict this way would mount such a challenge.

In any case, I think applying laws retroactively is a bad idea. I have some concern about what problem you're trying to solve, and why you think this is a good way to solve it.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 01:58 PM   #119
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Interesting question. It's generally better if new laws are not applied retroactively, making criminals out of people who acted within the law at the time. The US actually has constitutional restrictions against making laws retroactive. I'm not sure if changing the statute of limitations would survive a constitutional challenge, but for sure the first former president you tried to indict this way would mount such a challenge.

In any case, I think applying laws retroactively is a bad idea. I have some concern about what problem you're trying to solve, and why you think this is a good way to solve it.
I don't have an opinion on it.

I just thought it was an interesting route to try to 'get' Trump as soon as he leaves office, if the DOJ policy is to be upheld.
Old 20th May 2019, 02:08 PM   #120
plague311
Great minds think...

Interesting question. It's generally better if new laws are not applied retroactively, making criminals out of people who acted within the law at the time.
Am I missing something? Extending the statute of limitations specifically means the people did not act within the law at the time. It means they broke the law but didn't get busted until it was too late.

The US actually has constitutional restrictions against making laws retroactive. I'm not sure if changing the statute of limitations would survive a constitutional challenge, but for sure the first former president you tried to indict this way would mount such a challenge.

This whole outlook confuses me. They're looking at applying laws, the same laws as normal, but just for longer. Especially when it applies to the POTUS, which makes sense to me. They should be held to a higher standard. I don't agree with this specific form of doing it, but I'm not against it.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics