ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez , global warming , green energy issues

Old 4th April 2019, 11:49 AM   #1321
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Lomiller keeps coming up with reasons it can't be done as opposed to how it could be done. But if they can make it work the way they envision, IT CAN BE DONE. For that I have no doubt. Ever see the designs for a molten salt reactor? They are not complicated. We're talking a reactor tank, emergency containment tank, fuel, coolant, moderator and pipes to and from heat exchangers. That's it. It does not present a huge manufacturing challenge. .

I used the example of a single Boeing aircraft with millions of parts that is produced at the rate of two a day. Yet Boeing also produces other aircraft like the 777 and the 787. The wings alone on these aircraft are more complex than a molten salt reactor

And there are other aircraft manufacturers like Airbus, Gulfstream, DeHavilland, Lear, Beechcraft, Cessna, Lockheed, Messerschmitt and others.

No question, there are design, engineering and regulatory challenges. But we KNOW molten salt reactors work. That's not theoretical. We also KNOW that thorium works. Frankly, I believe the biggest challenge is getting the NRC, the DOE and the EPA to be partners in this quest as opposed to being roadblocks. As I read more about this subject, I believe the US has gone from a can do society to a can't do and become the gang who can't shoot straight.

Lomiller also points out there have been aircraft accidents. And I can't help thinking "so"? Not a single person has died from a radiation accident in the United States and no one died even at Fukishima from its accident. There were workers that died in Chernobyl. Overall, the safety record for nuclear power is excellent.
Old 4th April 2019, 11:59 AM   #1322
Belz...
Fiend God

Why are we talking about Boeing again?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 12:29 PM   #1323
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
We need a benevolent dictator, who will kill off half the population and ration resources for the survivors.
Oh, now I get it. Trump voters were actually choosing their Destructor. Like in the Ghostbuster movie.

I can see the resemblance between Trump and the Sta-puffed Marshmallow Man. He'd even have the white pallor without the fake orange tan.
Old 4th April 2019, 12:38 PM   #1324
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
Oh, now I get it. Trump voters were actually choosing their Destructor. Like in the Ghostbuster movie.

I can see the resemblance between Trump and the Sta-puffed Marshmallow Man. He'd even have the white pallor without the fake orange tan.
Don't cross the streams Ray.
Old 4th April 2019, 03:38 PM   #1325
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Given that I don't think we will, I'll have to disagree and instead say that we seem to have a pretty bleak one.

Hence the "/".
Of course there is the possibility we won't. Wouldn't be the first times humans experienced Mass insanity and managed to suicide large portions of the population.
However, I do believe we understand the problem well enough this time to reverse the damages.

Next step is getting political support for a plan that could actually work and isn't so damn expensive it bankrupts the economy doing it.
That's why I devised a plan that is science based but also can be done at a net profit rather than a huge cost.

If you pay someone to do a task, they still might fail. Yes it is possible. But you are far far more likely to motivate success by paying someone for excellence rather that attempting to tax and regulate them into submission.
We have proof large scale rehabilitation of degraded environments is possible. The Loess Plateau project in China has had resounding success. It has sequestered massive carbon reduced massive erosion restored both crop production and wildlife at the same time, and even been a massive economic success at pulling the poorest region in China out of desperate poverty. This is no small area either. It's about the size of Belgium.

We can do even better than the Chinese did. We have more land and better infrastructure for the higher educated and better equipped farmers to take advantage. But we are going to need to pay the Farmers for all their hard work. (Oh and BTW that's one of the most important reasons the Chinese project worked. They paid them to do the restoration work, then let them earn income themselves off the newly rejuvenated ecosystems)

There are economic reasons this will help both economically distressed rural areas in the US and ALSO be a huge gain for the big business commodity markets too! Right now we are destroying our best tallgrass prairie to grow commodity corn and soy. But if we restore the grasslands, then we can directly replace the top two uses of the corn and soy with a far larger primary productivity. Simultaneously more profitable for the farmers and also more profitable in the commodity markets! Especially the international markets.

For example a Hazelnut Chestnut Oak savanna with tallgrass prairie between rows of perennials will yield the same oil and starch as soy and corn, plus feed animals between rows on the grass yielding both more food and higher quality at far less input cost. But this is key. To a commodity market, Beef chicken pork or mutton is considered a value added commodity over raw grains. The sale of value added commodities overseas rather than raw materials means we gain more net profit and reduce trade imbalances. So the big brokers and the lowly producers BOTH profit more, and so does the country as a whole, all while actually reducing atmospheric CO2.

The economics are so in favor of the newer system science agricultural production models it is insane. The problem is that most the regulatory burden is designed to prevent this change from happening, even if the capital were freed up to allow the infrastructure rebuilding.

So it will take some regulatory changes, and definitely will need to be an elimination of all government subsidies to emissions sources, but I do believe it can be done and I also believe if you paid for results there would be long lines of farmers signing up for it.

Now is it possible those farmers might fail? Sure. It's new technology. It's a whole new Paradigm. But simply take your carbon market and instead of trying to tax the country to death, instead simply use those funds to pay for carbon sequestration in our agricultural soils, and watch and see how hard a hungry farmer can work if put to the test.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management

Last edited by Red Baron Farms; 4th April 2019 at 03:51 PM.
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2019, 07:41 PM   #1326
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
We’ve already delayed to long. We no longer have time for anything we can’t deploy right now.
Yes, we can plan a long term solution. Time spent discussing a long term solution is definitely not any kind of obstacle to the short term solutions we need.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 07:38 PM   #1327
Red Baron Farms
Illuminator

Well now we know how she intends to pay for it.... wait for it..... Just print more money!

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is a fan of a geeky economic theory called MMT: Here's a plain-English guide to what it is and why it's interesting
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2019, 07:50 PM   #1328
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Nothing wrong with deficit spending as long as what you spend it on keeps its value or helps future generations.
The Trump tax cuts are the opposite of that.
Old 8th April 2019, 07:58 PM   #1329
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Trumpublicans don't care about the deficit. They just want to punish the poor and help the wealthy get wealthier. To them, printing more money is just fine, as long as it goes to the top.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2019, 09:13 PM   #1330
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Trumpublicans don't care about the deficit. They just want to punish the poor and help the wealthy get wealthier. To them, printing more money is just fine, as long as it goes to the top.
I'll say this. It's not that they are trying to punish the poor. I don't believe that.

It's that they just don't care about them. They're irrelevant other than in their ability to make the rich richer.
Old 12th April 2019, 07:09 AM   #1331
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'll say this. It's not that they are trying to punish the poor. I don't believe that.

It's that they just don't care about them. They're irrelevant other than in their ability to make the rich richer.
Not my experience.

There is a definite sense of punishment in how Republicans deal with what they perceive as "welfare queens", "anchor baby families", and women seeking abortion.
"Tough love" is a typical authoritarian sentiment.
Old 12th April 2019, 07:28 AM   #1332
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Not my experience.

There is a definite sense of punishment in how Republicans deal with what they perceive as "welfare queens", "anchor baby families", and women seeking abortion.

Also the influence of the prosperity gospel. You're poor because you're a bad person, so you deserve to be punished.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2019, 08:31 AM   #1333
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Not my experience.

The Republicans don't see it as punishment. The GOP sees helping the poor is giving them a crutch to rely on instead of providing the gift of self reliance. As an opportunity to get stronger and to learn to rise above their circumstances.

And if the poor doesn't, "oh well".

Not to mention, that a dollar in the poor's pocket is one less dollar in their own.
Old 30th April 2019, 06:48 AM   #1334
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

It's not dead it's just resting.
Old 30th April 2019, 07:24 AM   #1335
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

well, looks like the GND wasn't going far enough for Beto...
Old 28th May 2019, 02:30 AM   #1336
Epiphone
Scholar

Lmao, there are are so many cowards in this forum. If you lean even a little bit left politically, you are a cowardly fool. That cannot be argued.
Epiphone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2019, 02:34 AM   #1337
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Epiphone View Post
Lmao, there are are so many cowards in this forum. If you lean even a little bit left politically, you are a cowardly fool. That cannot be argued.
FAIL.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th May 2019, 07:19 AM   #1338
Random
Illuminator

Not my experience.

I've always seen it as just a bunch of wedge issues designed to keep the working class at each others throats while the rich keep siphoning off all the countries wealth. The guys at the top don't really care about race, religion, gays, or poors, it's all just a scam to keep the country divided.
Old 28th May 2019, 07:41 AM   #1339
Belz...
Fiend God

And if you're even a little bit to the right, you're a fascist mass-murderer!

Now that we've labeled the whole damned thing, how about you try to make some sense, instead?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2019, 12:52 AM   #1340
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

And yet some do argue that. Which means it can be argued.

So your wrong.

Face it, you have no argument...
Old 30th May 2019, 06:28 AM   #1341
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
1. Left-leaning politically and socially
2. 20 years of military service
3. 5 years of duty in active combat zones
4. Recipient of the Bronze Star and the Combat Medical Badge

Yep, I'm running scared.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics