ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags border walls , donald trump , immigration issues , Trump controversies

Old 15th February 2019, 01:52 PM   #161
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I was hoping for a National Emergency that will force all Republicans to walk around with their pants around their ankles.
Brilliant.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 01:59 PM   #162
Minoosh
Philosopher

Pence is a weak, stupid nutjob who believes that Devine Providence will give him everything, hence he won't have to fight for anything.
Pelosi could crush him, just by asking for a 1 on 1 meeting.
Pence's wife would nix that meeting anyway.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 02:06 PM   #163
IXP
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I think the wall is an ecological disaster. For many animals it's a barrier like none other. The ocelots and jaguars can no longer move between the countries.
Good, Mexican ocelots and jaguars will be prevented from killing our sheep.

IXP

Last edited by IXP; 15th February 2019 at 02:29 PM.
IXP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 02:07 PM   #164
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Check again.
You are probably being robbed, stabbed and raped by immigrants at this very moment.
The main danger of being on the border is eating in a restaurant on the Mexican side without being careful about what restaurant you choose, with "The Gringo Two Step" as a result.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 02:17 PM   #165
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by IXP View Post
Good, Mexican ocelots and jaguars will be prevented from killing out sheep.
That should be the job of good American bobcats.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 02:19 PM   #166
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 02:30 PM   #167
IXP
Graduate Poster

Yes, who wants bobcats on unemployment?

IXP
Old 15th February 2019, 02:41 PM   #168
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Bit off topic, but I wonder how Pence's wife really feels about Pence meeting women in private.

I mean, its a really dump rule that he has. (Does he honestly think every woman he meets would be all over him, if only she could get him in a private meeting.) I just wonder if his wife agrees with the rule, or whether Pence is doing it on his own initiative and his wife doesn't care.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 02:56 PM   #169
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
That was, without a doubt, the worst speech I have ever seen.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt. Trump, of course, passed that point long ago.
Old 15th February 2019, 03:08 PM   #170
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
I am pro-wall, and I think reducing the required enforcement coverage will make the corridors easier to police, as well as freeing up resources at the ports of entry.
Read this carefully

IT WON'T WORK

Walls by themselves DO NOT WORK. In order for walls to work, they must be heavily guarded and patrolled throughout their entire length, otherwise people will go around them (by swimming or boating) over them (by microlight) or under them (by tunnelling). There are numerous recorded incidences of all of the above. There are also recorded instances of drug smugglers using drones to get drugs over the border. They may even go through the wall (a power diamond concrete/steel cutter in a remote location). Therefore, rather than "freeing up resources" they will actually take more resources. The drugs will still get in through tunnels and through ports of entry and via the Gulf of Mexico in boats and drug submarines.

However, if you take that $5-8 billion Trump wants for his white elephant vanity project, you could build a gold-plated, state-of-the-art electronic frontier with, hidden sensors and observation posts covering every inch of the border, even in places where building a wall is physically impossible.

Do you know how I know this will work? Its because it already has, right there in the USA. There are two places protected by just such electronic frontiers - Area 51 and Dugway Proving grounds. In over 50 years, very few people, if any have ever been able to get into them, and those that have were caught almost immediately.

The addition of surveillance drones to a US Mexico electronic frontier would make it even more secure.
Old 15th February 2019, 03:10 PM   #171
Tero
Graduate Poster

I live in the middle here, way North of Texas. When will these hordes arrive? Will the wall be built in time? Will it be built under President Pence in 2021? Ever?
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 03:36 PM   #172
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Now we find out if the Republicans really love the constitution as much as they claim too, or if they are willing to sell it out for some temporary political gains.

We already know the answer to that. They've spent several decades making it obvious ... and the last two making it abundantly clear.

Quote:
I am afraid it is going to be the latter.

Exactly.

Quote:
I have deceded that the GOP, as it now exists,is as much as clear and present danger to Consituional Government in America as Trump.

More, I'm afraid. For better or worse, he'll be gone in a few years at the longest.

The morally and ethically bankrupt GOP will be with us as long as the party survives.
Old 15th February 2019, 03:38 PM   #173
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I was hoping for a National Emergency that will force all Republicans to walk around with their pants around their ankles on fire.
FTFY

No you didn't.

They've been walking around with their pants on fire pretty much since the day Trump was elected.

Pants around their ankles would be in line with the respect they deserve.
Old 15th February 2019, 03:42 PM   #174
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Quick lesson. The US/Mexico border states are, from west to east

California
Arizona
New Mexico
Texas
And taken together they spell "CANT." Sorry Donald, you can't have your Great Wall of Trump.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 03:44 PM   #175
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
I think New Mexico has been forgotten also. It also has a short border with Mexico. ETA: Oh, smartcooky covered it.
By himself? That really is a short border.

Very approximately 350,000 smoots (according to Google Earth).

I'm not sure if smartcooky is shorter or taller than Oliver was (5'-7").
Old 15th February 2019, 03:45 PM   #176
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
I live in the middle here, way North of Texas. When will these hordes arrive? Will the wall be built in time? Will it be built under President Pence in 2021? Ever?
I live in southern Arizona. They're already here. They were here before 1912 when the territory became a state. And they were here before the USA wrested the land from Spain. It was their home already.

Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 03:46 PM   #177
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
I live in southern Arizona. They're already here. They were here before 1912 when the territory became a state. And they were here before the USA wrested the land from Spain. It was their home already.
BOOM! Right there!
Old 15th February 2019, 03:48 PM   #178
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Bent over with their Pants around their ankles would be in line with the respect they deserve.
FTFY
Old 15th February 2019, 03:51 PM   #179
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
That should be the job of good American bobcats.
The collared peccaries need to flow back-and-forth across the border!
Old 15th February 2019, 04:04 PM   #180
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Report at 1400 EST (2pm) says that he has signed the National Emergency Bill, but not signed the Budget Bill yet. This could still go even more crazy.
There wouldn't be a national emergency bill; that's the whole point. No Congress involved. It would have to be a presidential declaration or whatever that is called.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 04:22 PM   #181
KDLarsen
Illuminator

So with this almost inevitably ending up before the Supreme Court, how do we think the conservative justices are going to explain away
Quote:
“But I want to do it faster,” he said. “I can do the wall over a longer period of time. I didn’t need to do this. I would rather do it much faster.”
Of course, the White House is already busy massaging the record, with Sarah Huckabee Sanders saying the President meant to say “shouldn’t have to do this."
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 04:40 PM   #182
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I think Trump staying until the next election is the best solution, and the Democrats know this. The alternative is Pence. You think Pence would be a do-nothing, no-deal-with-the-GOP president like Trump?
I think Pence would be a danger in a different way, but I don't know that he'd burn the world down to make a buck, like Trump seems to be eager to do.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 04:46 PM   #183
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I live in the middle here, way North of Texas. When will these hordes arrive?
Look at the Democratic side of the House, they are already here. Trump and his Republicans think it's disgusting that there is so much color in the government.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 05:06 PM   #184
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Bit off topic, but I wonder how Pence's wife really feels about Pence meeting women in private.

I mean, its a really dump rule that he has. (Does he honestly think every woman he meets would be all over him, if only she could get him in a private meeting.) I just wonder if his wife agrees with the rule, or whether Pence is doing it on his own initiative and his wife doesn't care.
Well it does give him some protection as far as accusations of harassment.

Back on The Wall - CNN ran a story in December about big problems with a contractor that is supposed to hire 7,000 Border Patrol agents in the next 5 years (they've hired, like, 2, and have gobbled up $13.6 million in startup costs). As part of this story I found the quote:
Quote:
"For us, in this country, we keep America safe by proper application of the law," a DHS official said in response to the IG report. "It's a law enforcement mission. It's not a military mission. It's a law enforcement mission."
It's the kind of thing I wish CNN would not do. There is no indication why this "official" wasn't named - nothing about fear of losing their job, for example - and as far as I can tell the quote was included because CNN really, really wanted to include this idea in their story, but no one would say it on the record.

So, also from that article: A Trump executive order in 2017 called for hiring 5,000 additional agents. In 2018 there was a net gain of 120 agents. So things aren't moving very swiftly. Under the "emergency," what wiggle room might Trump have? I know there's a statute, but it has been played around with some. If Trump can't deputize the military, could he militarize DHS? Either by simply asserting he has the power, or actually drafting some service members to officially join the Border Patrol?

Trump can use the same logic he used in declaring the emergency - announce that it's gonna happen but that Democrats will try to block it. Which, of course, they would. But would it only be Democrats trying? Who else might object?

The statute, enacted in brutal political battles related to Reconstruction, does not actually apply to Marines, the U.S. Navy or the Coast Guard. Based on minor Googling, I see that regulations do seem to include those branches of the service. But what if Marines or other service members were offered an alternative "deployment" on the U.S.-Mexico border? The pay is competitive and it seems to me it would be a fairly simple lateral move (although maybe nothing the feds do is simple). That would give Trump his agents under, I assume, the DHS budget. And lots of nice optics involving teargas, tasers or even lethal arms.

I guess my question is, if Trump can't deputize the military, could he militarize the DHS? As long as he's going for drama, he can ratchet it up to 11. I wonder if the military would balk, or the Senate, or if even some of his supporters might think enough is enough.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 05:12 PM   #185
Minoosh
Philosopher

The thing that makes my heart sink when contemplating The Wall is just not that just because I don't like the message it sends, or that it's wasteful. It's that the border area is wild and largely arid, with some very sensitive lands, desert rivers, endangered species etc. Not just the wall itself but all the blading that would have to go into transporting materials to the job site would take a toll. It would scrape a lot of desert bare and threaten the Rio Grande. It also could be sabotaged on the other side, for scrap, or for smuggling, or to create a diversion. Which means a lot of heavy maintenance equipment. These areas do not just bounce back. And what takes longer: building something or tearing it down?
Old 15th February 2019, 05:18 PM   #186
Stacyhs
Philosopher

For all you living along the border and experiencing the horrors of the brown invasion, lock up your wives and daughters, hide your sons from the forced drafting into the MS-13 gang, and bring in all pies cooling on window sills. I hope you stocked up on food, water and toilet paper before hunkering down. My thoughts and prayers and other platitudes are with you in these trying times.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 05:23 PM   #187
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
BOOM! Right there!
Not quite right. The US wrestled the Southwest from Mexico, not Spain.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 05:29 PM   #188
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Got an earful from some people at work today over the Legal problems with private lands.
I work for the Governement Agency that will be handles the acquisition of land by the federal government,and it's going to be a clusterf---. They ,basically, have been instructed to offer much less then the fair market value of the land that Public Domaine will be ran on, and, needless to say, the land owners will take them to court on it. (By law, the US Govenrment has to pay Fair Market value for the land they acquire).
It's another case of Trump's appointees in Interior trying to do something that people on the ground know is just plain stupid.A lot of lawyers are going to make a lot of money off of this....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th February 2019, 05:40 PM   #189
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
So, how are you guys enjoying the hoards of armed Mexicans sweeping up through California and Texas?
Not good. Weapons are not the biggest problem though, but they use them getting the drugs here, and the cartels use them here daily although they probably get them in the US.

This is four years ago:

Quote:
AUSTIN – The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) today announced that Operation Drawbridge – the law enforcement initiative using motion-detection camera system along the Texas-Mexico border – was responsible for more than 29,300 apprehensions and 88,400 pounds of drugs being seized in 2014. These results represent a significant impact in the effort to combat Mexican cartel smuggling operations.

^^ That's just one year, one state. Ya I'd say it's a big problem.

Quote:
Mexican cartels continue to pose the most significant organized crime threat to Texas. In fact, seven of the eight cartels currently have command and control networks operating in the state, moving drugs and people into the United States, and transporting cash, weapons and stolen vehicles back to Mexico.

Image of armed illegals in Texas (http://www.dps.texas.gov)

This isn't about smuggling guns. How many people die from Fentanyl, heroin and other smuggled drugs? How many are killed by the cartels?

How much is this costing us? 29,000 apprehensions in a single year in one state? That's gotta cost a helluva lot.

And by the way this $1.3x billion border money has severe limits. It specifies what kinds of barriers can and cannot be built (no new designs). It sets a cap on border manpower (already reached) so no new hiring.

Read the fine print and it's basically crap. Trump lost this deal big-time. And I don't agree with the national emergency strategy any more than I approved of Obama's shenanigans.

The Democrats are being ridiculous far as I'm concerned. Anything to go against Trump. This border thing makes that very clear.

I care about the border and national security. I don't care about Trump saving face, or the GOP, or the Dems or anyone else. I want this crap resolved.

I think he should not sign the bill. I don't think that 100%, just goin with it. Screw it at this point, he can't be hated any worse than he already is. I don't care if it looks bad to some people, it isn't about Trump. I want a more secure border. Now.

And for anyone who disagrees, please come down and visit our border area and towns and see for yourself.

6% of California's population are here illegally.
34% of working age people in Cali are immigrants.
About 25% of all immigrants live in California.
25% of all immigrants in Cali are illegal.

Almost half the people in Cali are immigrants, so that is a LOT of illegals. Millions. It's not like we aren't doing our share to support immigration here folks.

Our governor wants to give illegals free health care and gawd knows what else. Frack that! Our governor also used to be mayor of SF, the filthy homeless capital of the country. We have so many people we can't even take care of the ones that were actually born here, and we want to let millions more just walk in? Yes, Cali does want exactly that.

When politicians play games with national security like this it just shows how out of control they are. It's hard for me to believe this is even happening. I think the dems are being extremely hypocritical and petty and I am much more angry with them than the repubs, but neither side has done much about illegals, so I'm just all-around angry mostly.

Last edited by mgidm86; 15th February 2019 at 05:42 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 05:50 PM   #190
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Not good. Weapons are not the biggest problem though, but they use them getting the drugs here, and the cartels use them here daily although they probably get them in the US.

This is four years ago:

This isn't about smuggling guns. How many people die from Fentanyl, heroin and other smuggled drugs? How many are killed by the cartels?

How much is this costing us? 29,000 apprehensions in a single year in one state? That's gotta cost a helluva lot.

And by the way this $1.3x billion border money has severe limits. It specifies what kinds of barriers can and cannot be built (no new designs). It sets a cap on border manpower (already reached) so no new hiring.

Read the fine print and it's basically crap. Trump lost this deal big-time. And I don't agree with the national emergency strategy any more than I approved of Obama's shenanigans.

The Democrats are being ridiculous far as I'm concerned. Anything to go against Trump. This border thing makes that very clear.

I care about the border and national security. I don't care about Trump saving face, or the GOP, or the Dems or anyone else. I want this crap resolved.

I think he should not sign the bill. I don't think that 100%, just goin with it. Screw it at this point, he can't be hated any worse than he already is. I don't care if it looks bad to some people, it isn't about Trump. I want a more secure border. Now.

And for anyone who disagrees, please come down and visit our border area and towns and see for yourself.

Almost half the people in Cali are immigrants, so that is a LOT of illegals. Millions. It's not like we aren't doing our share to support immigration here folks.

Our governor wants to give illegals free health care and gawd knows what else. Frack that! Our governor also used to be mayor of SF, the filthy homeless capital of the country. We have so many people we can't even take care of the ones that were actually born here, and we want to let millions more just walk in? Yes, Cali does want exactly that.

When politicians play games with national security like this it just shows how out of control they are. It's hard for me to believe this is even happening. I think the dems are being extremely hypocritical and petty and I am much more angry with them than the repubs, but neither side has done much about illegals, so I'm just all-around angry mostly.
2014 was five years ago.
Old 15th February 2019, 05:51 PM   #191
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

This is four years ago:

The only reason they are supplying is that people are buying.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 06:25 PM   #192
Tero
Graduate Poster

I listened to Trump for about 5 min live. Rare for me. The scripted part read OK. But somehow, I got the feel he is more stupid now. Is he losing it?
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 06:37 PM   #193
Apathia
Philosopher

Thanks for the correction.

Author Unknown
Old 15th February 2019, 06:43 PM   #194
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Just checking in to let the forum know I am safe and okay during this national emergency.
This is why, try as I may, I can't quit this place.
Old 15th February 2019, 06:49 PM   #195
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

A technicality; It doesn't rally detract from the overall point Apathia was making

Spain ruled Mexico until 1821 and it was only 12 year later that Santa Anna came to power, and another couple of years before the Texas Uprising.

Last edited by smartcooky; 15th February 2019 at 06:51 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 06:56 PM   #196
Minoosh
Philosopher

You kidding? Trump ordered 7,000 new Border Patrol. Since then they're up 120 positions. They've had a hard time filling these vacancies for years, and if this has been signed away by Trump I'd like to see evidence.

Did someone promise to maintain demographics so you would be able to pick your neighbors? That seems to account for at least half your complaints, which are about immigrants in general, not illegal immigrants.

They're free people using legal means to improve their lives. It's not my call.
I think the dems are being extremely hypocritical and petty and I am much more angry with them than the repubs, but neither side has done much about illegals, so I'm just all-around angry mostly.
Yeah, I can tell.
Old 15th February 2019, 07:00 PM   #197
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I listened to Trump for about 5 min live. Rare for me. The scripted part read OK. But somehow, I got the feel he is more stupid now. Is he losing it?
Actually, I thought I'd take one for the team and listen through the scripted (for certain meanings of that word) portion, only to turn it off before his stellar moments with the press. What astonished me is that even with Fox having pointed out some of the more blatant lies, he just goes into his Gish Gallop and repeats them.

But he's generous enough to make up new crap every time he gives a speech so the entire canned portion of his presentation really reads like sound bytes from his various rallies and pressers. Here's the story about the secret knowledge he has about all the people driving to the ends of the barrier to just walk across (calves the size of cantaloupes, right Steve?). And the story of the women with duck tape across their mouths and their hands bound. Oooh, and the massive shootout just a mile (from the border) from where he just visited. (He just visited McAllen, 130 miles from said shootout in a direct line - more like 175 miles by highway).

I was watching... he rarely looked down for crib notes. He just trots out the lies he's familiar with because he constantly repeats them.

I do like the fact that he just showed the entire public that he's sure "the fix is in" at the Supreme Court. If there was ever a reason to run the Republicans, en masse, out of office, that little tidbit was it. It should be feature in every Democratic Party advert.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 07:10 PM   #198
Tero
Graduate Poster

Huh OK. He continues as before, no change in status.
Old 15th February 2019, 07:25 PM   #199
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

AUSTIN – The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) today announced that Operation Drawbridge – the law enforcement initiative using motion-detection camera system along the Texas-Mexico border – was responsible for more than 29,300 apprehensions and 88,400 pounds of drugs being seized in 2014. These results represent a significant impact in the effort to combat Mexican cartel smuggling operations.

Quote:
Mexican cartels continue to pose the most significant organized crime threat to Texas. In fact, seven of the eight cartels currently have command and control networks operating in the state, moving drugs and people into the United States, and transporting cash, weapons and stolen vehicles back to Mexico.

<ireelevancies snipped>
First Point: you STILL don't get that fact the the vast majority of of drugs get into the USA THROUGH THE PORTS OF ENTRY! A WALL WILL NOT BE ABLE TO STOP THIS

Second Point: Trump's vanity project would spend 90% of the border security budget in an attempt to fix less than 10% of the problem, meanwhile, the place where 90% of the problems are gets cuts and lacks resources.

Third Point: All of your stats are five years out of date. Mexican border crossings are at their lowest level since the 1950s!

Only the blind and the stupid are in favour of Trump's wall

Last edited by smartcooky; 15th February 2019 at 07:26 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th February 2019, 07:33 PM   #200
Warmer1
Critical Thinker

This is historic really. The President just stood up and told the same multiple debunked lies to Americans in order to circumvent the democratic process and there is no huge uproar.
This is a huge test to see what Trump can get away with on his path to a dictatorship.

Republicans are so happy with the payoffs they are getting as a result of the 1.5 TRILLION dollar tax cut that Trump has given their donors. Would it surprise anyone if Republicans stood back as usual and allowed Trump to continue his power grab?

Americans are standing by as their democracy is under attack, as a perpetual liar with narcissistic personality disorder cons the masses with the help of Fox News.

The national emergency is that far to many Americans don't want to learn what is going on and a huge percentage can't tell fact from fiction.

This is a historic event for me. Trump's speech about his conjured up national emergency was a horrific display of his ego driven mental illness and Republicans are in support of this undermining of democracy.

The Republican party stands by Trump's outright lies and American democracy is being tested like never before. I'm doing a lot of traveling at the moment and the overwhelming majority of people I meet are in a sad state of disbelief about the state of American politics. Trump will go down in history as the biggest conman and liar in American history. Sadly, average Americans have no idea how much this is costing them as the national debt soars.

Last edited by Warmer1; 15th February 2019 at 07:48 PM.
Warmer1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics