ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 12th June 2019, 12:28 PM   #3081
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
(I am waiting for the first US presidential candidate delivered by caesarian section and the court case about whether they are a 'natural born' US citizen.)
That was settled in the landmark "State of California V MacBeth" case.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 12:41 PM   #3082
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
And if they did?

By the way, the president isn't on the state ballot because you don't vote for president.
What? What are you even trying to say? The state ballots list the names of the presidential candidates, representing slates of electors committed to them.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 12:49 PM   #3083
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
It should also be noted that although E15 gas may sometimes be cheaper, it is also less efficient (less energy per gallon), so its cheaper to fill up, but you won't travel as far. (And some car manufacturers think the higher ethanol blends aren't good for cars.)
Is the source for all this ethanol supposed to be corn? There must be less resource-intensive crops that could provide it.

There are theories out there that blame America's obesity epidemic on the overproduction of corn. Also its use is associated with miserable conditions in feedlots. The U.S. is very good at growing cereal crops.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:03 PM   #3084
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Is the source for all this ethanol supposed to be corn? There must be less resource-intensive crops that could provide it.

I recall reading that algae farms are a good source of biofuels, while not taking away land from food production like corn biofuel does.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:04 PM   #3085
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
What? What are you even trying to say? The state ballots list the names of the presidential candidates, representing slates of electors committed to them.
My ballot has the actual slate of electors listed before it even gives the name of the candidate they support.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 12th June 2019 at 01:07 PM.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:15 PM   #3086
jeremyp
Muse

I wouldn't have to claim there are other explanations. It is on you for claiming a specific reason to justify it. And your argument from incredulity does not fly.
I have justified it. The fact that you refuse to believe the obvious is not my problem. Well, it would be if I was concerned to change your opinion, but I'm not.

By the way, we are talking about evidence here and not proof. It doesn't have to be logically watertight, it only has to shift the balance of probabilities in the right direction. I'm surprised that, as a regular poster here, you are not aware of the distinction between evidence and proof.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:22 PM   #3087
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
I have justified it. The fact that you refuse to believe the obvious is not my problem. Well, it would be if I was concerned to change your opinion, but I'm not.

By the way, we are talking about evidence here and not proof. It doesn't have to be logically watertight, it only has to shift the balance of probabilities in the right direction. I'm surprised that, as a regular poster here, you are not aware of the distinction between evidence and proof.
You haven't offered anything to shift the balance. It seems your assertion is that it is self evident. Well, you don't get to rely on that.

What you seem to see as evidence is that it is unlikely to make repeated errors of omission. But that seems to be based on very little. Where is the research that repeated omissions is associated with lying or that the probability of each additional omission goes down under a non lying scenario?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:47 PM   #3088
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
It should also be noted that although E15 gas may sometimes be cheaper, it is also less efficient (less energy per gallon), so its cheaper to fill up, but you won't travel as far. (And some car manufacturers think the higher ethanol blends aren't good for cars.)
Is the source for all this ethanol supposed to be corn?
Yup. Most ethanol is produced by corn (at least in the U.S.) Some other plant material (such as sugarcane) has also been used, but America is mostly corn.

(According to Wikipedia, ~40% of the U.S. corn crop is used for ethanol.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 12th June 2019 at 01:49 PM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:51 PM   #3089
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I recall reading that algae farms are a good source of biofuels, while not taking away land from food production like corn biofuel does.
There have been attempts to use Algae to make biofuels either Algae, or into gasoline/oil.)

You're right in that it doesn't take away land from food production. But, I think one of the problems is that the algae needs sunlight, and it can only penetrate so far into water where the algae is growing.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:51 PM   #3090
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

There is a logical reason for criminalizing the appearance of corruption. It is very difficult to identify corrupt intent, so it is easy to ban both. However, that does ban things that appear corrupt but are not actually corrupt.

What people then do is conflate corruption with the appearance of corruption.

Corruption is having or showing a willingness to act dishonestly in return for money or personal gain. You have no idea if Kushner is acting dishonesty because of this arrangement.
So I should have said "lack of ethics" instead of "corruption"? The fact that I personally am not in a position to prove that there is any pay-to-play going on doesn't mean that there aren't potential conflicts of interest presented by business partnerships and therefore that it isn't ethical for a high-ranking government to be involved in business deals with foreigners. Heck, most people, at least those with white collar jobs, have restrictions on what sort of outside work they can take on.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 02:01 PM   #3091
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
So I should have said "lack of ethics" instead of "corruption"? The fact that I personally am not in a position to prove that there is any pay-to-play going on doesn't mean that there aren't potential conflicts of interest presented by business partnerships and therefore that it isn't ethical for a high-ranking government to be involved in business deals with foreigners. Heck, most people, at least those with white collar jobs, have restrictions on what sort of outside work they can take on.
Exactly!
Old 12th June 2019, 02:03 PM   #3092
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
And our patriot comedians.
Thank you, great Patriot Compatriot!
Old 12th June 2019, 02:05 PM   #3093
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Yup. Most ethanol is produced by corn (at least in the U.S.) Some other plant material (such as sugarcane) has also been used, but America is mostly corn.

(According to Wikipedia, ~40% of the U.S. corn crop is used for ethanol.)
And sugarcane is a far more efficient way to produce ethanol. But there are only 3 or 4 states where cane is grown, as opposed to a couple dozen with corn, and ADM isn't in the cane business.
Old 12th June 2019, 02:11 PM   #3094
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yeah, social media and its legendary reliablility.
Clickbait, ooh ha ha!
Old 12th June 2019, 02:29 PM   #3095
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
If a person so forgetful, lazy, etc. that they have to submit the same security paperwork several times in order to get one version that passes muster, then such a person is clearly a poor security risk.
Or, just follow Steve Martin’s tax advice!

https://youtu.be/zXmQW_aqBks
Old 12th June 2019, 03:14 PM   #3096
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Thank you, great Patriot Compatriot!
Hey, at least you know Trump will never start a "Great Patriotic War".

His boss wouldn't allow it.
Old 12th June 2019, 03:21 PM   #3097
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that. It's unethical not to disclose those dealings, however. Actually I'm surprised it's not illegal. I haven't read a full accounting of the problems with his clearance - some of that is probably secret, too.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 04:03 PM   #3098
Minoosh
Philosopher

I don't expect anyone to blab to the general public about any concerns that were found in Jared's web of dealings, but when I think of all the competent people who accepted then bailed on jobs with the administration, I can't help but wonder ... do they have friends in the Senate? Respected colleagues? Mattis, Kelly, McMasters - are people who have spent their lives keeping secrets for the security of the U.S. just out playing golf or whatever? They don't have a duty to warn me but I hope they would warn others in the loop about potential threats.

I keep thinking that key Republican senators already have information that would convince them to dump Trump in a heartbeat, if they could just figure out how to do it without endangering their own personal power. Not even the party, just their own political fortunes. If they see the potential for massive **** to hit the fan I expect them to be running for cover. That cover would take the form of mildly expressed disagreement with Trump on certain arms sales, for example. Or bland pronouncements in favor of secure national elections. There have to be wedge issues between Trump and those few individuals who could rein him in but choose not to, for the time being.

One area where I think Trump is highly vulnerable with other conservatives is in his tendency to blab state secrets to impress Kim, Putin or their minions, which he is quite capable of doing, and the grownups are probably already not telling him things. He's so uninterested in security briefings that he's not going to miss information he's not getting.

If Senate Republicans remain committed to trying to work around the guy for the sake of their own hides or the party right up until 5.5 years from now they are insane. There is no secret safe with him. A lot of people know that.
Old 12th June 2019, 06:35 PM   #3099
Minoosh
Philosopher

And here he goes ...

Trump says he'd again accept election help from foreign governments, might not tell FBI (embedded in tweet)

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/stat...not-inform-FBI
Old 12th June 2019, 06:41 PM   #3100
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

'I think I’d take it': In exclusive interview, Trump says he would listen if foreigners offered dirt on opponents

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/...mpression=true
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 07:14 PM   #3101
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
'I think I’d take it': In exclusive interview, Trump says he would listen if foreigners offered dirt on opponents

Wonder if he said exactly the same thing in his Trump Tower office back in 2016...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 07:37 PM   #3102
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Wonder if he said exactly the same thing in his Trump Tower office back in 2016...
It's what he said, but not what he meant...
Old 12th June 2019, 07:42 PM   #3103
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Well of course, he got away with it so far, why wouldn't he do the same thing in 2020?

And people like McConnell will destroy the Constitution believing the GOP can stay in control for at least another decade if they succeed in skewing the census.
Old 12th June 2019, 09:07 PM   #3104
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Well of course, he got away with it so far, why wouldn't he do the same thing in 2020?

And people like McConnell will destroy the Constitution believing the GOP can stay in control for at least another decade if they succeed in skewing the census.
Would be hilarious if everyone in the USA either failed to answer that question, or said they were from Calathumpia or Gadzookistan.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 10:30 PM   #3105
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Would be hilarious if everyone in the USA either failed to answer that question, or said they were from Calathumpia or Gadzookistan.
Undocumented immigrants fear answering the question either way.
Old 12th June 2019, 10:42 PM   #3106
Mumbles
Philosopher

Career criminal states he'd commit a crime. Film at 11.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 10:44 PM   #3107
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Undocumented immigrants fear answering the question either way.
More likely they won't fill in any census form at all.
Old 12th June 2019, 11:10 PM   #3108
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
It's what he said, but not what he meant...
Well that's why all the really smart people love him, he's such a straight talker.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 11:17 PM   #3109
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Trump now claiming that the Mueller report proves Trump "rebuffed" Russian influence in his campaign:

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/06/wat...buffed-russia/
Riiiiight. Here's something more believable.

Quote:
You can play it. Here are the words transcribed.

"They actually found who made the calls. One was a friend of ours a real estate developer. Great guy. Most of you know him. Nice guy. Loves our country. And the other one was the head of NASCAR. Two of them.

"So of the three calls that were so horrible
that he had a meeting and he called me and then he had the meeting after. Then he made 2 more calls.

"And they were written about like this, little lines, couple of lines.”
”Nobody wanted to admit it."
In short, Trump knew about Jr's Trump Tower meeting and approved it. No shock there other than that now he's openly admitting to it after so many lies.

And here he goes ...

Trump says he'd again accept election help from foreign governments, might not tell FBI (embedded in tweet)
Might? He outright says that he's never gone to the FBI about anything and isn't likely to do so.

Random news time, though.

Kansas secretary of state finds a $400,000 discrepancy in funds intended to upgrade voting systems

Really short version? Kobach's incompetence is still looming over the state. That number's for 2015 and nothing was filed for the next three years.

FEMA fesses up they are 'short a few thousand employees' as Atlantic Hurricane Season begins.

Comforting.
Old 13th June 2019, 12:14 AM   #3110
Planigale
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
That was settled in the landmark "State of California V MacBeth" case.
Apologies if this is a joke, but I can't find the case; commentaries suggest this has never been tested in court (because it would be a stupid argument to make? Not that has stopped people from making arguments!)
Planigale is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 01:11 AM   #3111
Tolls
Illuminator

In MacBeth he thought he couldn't be killed by anyone of woman born.
MacDuff was born by caesarian.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 01:27 AM   #3112
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
actually, it was " any man born of a woman".
Any women could have murdered him at any time.
Old 13th June 2019, 01:35 AM   #3113
Tolls
Illuminator

I sit corrected!
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 01:53 AM   #3114
jeremyp
Muse

You haven't offered anything to shift the balance. It seems your assertion is that it is self evident. Well, you don't get to rely on that.
Nope. My assertion is that Jared Kuschner has lied about his connections to dodgy foreigners.

My evidence is an example of him lying about his connections to dodgy foreigners.

You want to try and explain those lies away by pretending that Kuschner was suddenly very forgetful but only when repeatedly filling in his application form wrongly. I guess it is possible, but it is really not credible. If you do have research that shows people hiding embarrassing information on US government security clearance forms is more likely due to forgetfulness than dishonesty, I'd be willing to take it into account.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 02:19 AM   #3115
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
So prophecy that works by semantics and weasel words?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 02:31 AM   #3116
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

“Biden would be China’s Dream Candidate, because there would be no more Tariffs, no more demands that China stop stealing our IP, things would go back to the old days with America’s manufacturers & workers getting shafted. He has Zero Credibility!” @IngrahamAngle So true!

“It’s about peace and Prosperity, that’s how Republican Presidents get elected, and this President has delivered on the Economy and he’s delivered on keeping America Stronger & Safer. Our biggest enemy is not any one of these Democrats, it’s the Media.” John McLaughlin, pollster
Old 13th June 2019, 02:33 AM   #3117
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
actually, it was " any man born of a woman".
Any women could have murdered him at any time.
Yeah, the Witch King of Angmar got that wrong too
Old 13th June 2019, 03:20 AM   #3118
Minoosh
Philosopher

IOW he would collude, accepting something of value from dodgy international characters without bothering to report it to the FBI and certainly not listing it in campaign finance disclosure statements.

What a dick.
Old 13th June 2019, 03:39 AM   #3119
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Impeachment bait.
Old 13th June 2019, 04:12 AM   #3120
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Rick Santorum: Trump Was Just Using ‘Filler Words’ When He Said He’d Accept Foreign Help
Quote:
He has, sort of—as we all do, filler words that don’t mean what they say, like, ‘I think,’
https://www.thedailybeast.com/rick-s...a=twitter_page

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics