ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Mueller investigation , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , William Barr

Reply
Old 28th April 2019, 10:19 AM   #361
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 23,454
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
<snip>

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I would be far more concerned if Trump was selling Uranium to Russia, wouldn't you?

I would be also, however, I would be even more concerned if he was trying to sell Uranium to Saudi Arabia.... oh, hang on!

Not least because the U.S. routinely imports large quantities of uranium from Russia.
__________________
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 12:25 PM   #362
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,175
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Perhaps if Trump was less of a dirty Russian whore, the FBI would not have monitored his attempts at collusion.
It bugs me when you say this. I feel like it's an insult to honest whores.

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Not least because the U.S. routinely imports large quantities of uranium from Russia.
Thank you. I love this kind of information. It makes me feel smart. I looked this up from the U.S. Energy Information Administration. A caveat, the page considers only uranium used as fuel; I don't know the stats for weapons-grade uranium and I'm sure it gets very complicated depending on isotopes, enrichment etc.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 12:28 PM   #363
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 20,666
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
It bugs me when you say this. I feel like it's an insult to honest whores.

Thank you. I love this kind of information. It makes me feel smart. I looked this up from the U.S. Energy Information Administration. A caveat, the page considers only uranium used as fuel; I don't know the stats for weapons-grade uranium and I'm sure it gets very complicated depending on isotopes, enrichment etc.
Both countries (and China, France, the UK, India, Pakistan, Israel, DPRK) tend to have their own weapons-grade enrichment programmes.
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 12:42 PM   #364
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,175
So what is up with Andrew Napolitano's sudden turn on Trump? Trump says it's because he did not nominate Napolitano to the Supreme Court. I don't really track which Trump sycophants have turned on him, but it seems there must be a growing body of information that has not been made public. What do people like Mattis and Kelly do with their loyalty when they jump off the Trump train? If they believe Trump is endangering national security, what do they do with this information? Perhaps revelations would be unprofessional, or could in fact harm national security by airing our dirty laundry in public. But it's hard for me to believe these guy have just gone away to play golf or putter around the house.

Done in this thread because Napolitano is saying Trump did in fact obstruct justice.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 12:48 PM   #365
Minoosh
Philosopher
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,175
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Both countries (and China, France, the UK, India, Pakistan, Israel, DPRK) tend to have their own weapons-grade enrichment programmes.
I was surprised to see Kazakhstan so high on the list, as well as smaller players such as Niger and Namibia.

Plus I've always wondered about black markets - why is it such a threat if a country has its own enrichment program? Wouldn't there be tons and tons available from disarmament? What happens to all those warheads?

I know, I know ... I could look it up.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 01:31 PM   #366
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 5,616
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
So what is up with Andrew Napolitano's sudden turn on Trump?
Not sure it’s all that sudden. I don’t catch him often - I rarely listen to Fox News except occasionally Neil Cavuto and Shepherd Smith - but I sense Napolitano’s view has gradually been shifting as more evidence of wrongdoing has been uncovered.
__________________
“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that...I will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” - President Donald J. Trump, January 20, 2017.
"And it's, frankly, disgusting the way the press is able to write whatever they want to write. And people should look into it." - President Donald J. Trump, October 11, 2017.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 01:35 PM   #367
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21,422
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I was surprised to see Kazakhstan so high on the list, as well as smaller players such as Niger and Namibia.

Plus I've always wondered about black markets - why is it such a threat if a country has its own enrichment program? Wouldn't there be tons and tons available from disarmament? What happens to all those warheads?

I know, I know ... I could look it up.
I've been studying a lot about nuclear power lately. If I understand this correctly. It depends on what it is. There are two kinds of fissile material used to make bombs. Pure plutonium and I believe about 99 percent pure U235.

I'm pretty sure most uranium used for power is under 10 percent pure U235. Most of the rest of the fuel is U238 which is not fissile. Since it is highly difficult to separate U235 from U238, not just anyone can do it. It requires very specialized expensive centrifuges as well as the know how to get it done. This is the enrichment process. One of the ways they control bomb development is to keep the technology on how to enrich fuel in limited hands.

Also the fuel is reactor specific. Buy a Westinghouse reactor you're locked into buying Westinghouse fuel for the the life of that reactor. Same goes for GE and all the other companies. And they make their fuel under the supervision of their respective countries and the Atomic Energy Commission. They keep close tabs on the inventories as well.

Small footnote. I may be off on the percentages . But the point is reactor fuel is not suitable to make bombs.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 04:14 PM   #368
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator
 
W.D.Clinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,574
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I'll answer if you truly want to hear my opinion on Hillary. Here ya go. I think her past conduct of deleting emails, destroying equipment, throwing interns under the bus, pay for play etc all come at a cost. To me this would deem her testimony as questionable whether under oath or not. Evidence would need to be presented along with any statement Hillary makes in order to assign belief IMO.

According to Ziggurat, you're making a stupid argument:

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
It's stupid to disbelieve something just because the wrong person says it.

But maybe I shouldn't believe what Ziggurat says, because after all it was Ziggurat who said it.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 05:41 PM   #369
Toontown
Philosopher
 
Toontown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,595
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
So what is up with Andrew Napolitano's sudden turn on Trump? Trump says it's because he did not nominate Napolitano to the Supreme Court. I don't really track which Trump sycophants have turned on him, but it seems there must be a growing body of information that has not been made public. What do people like Mattis and Kelly do with their loyalty when they jump off the Trump train? If they believe Trump is endangering national security, what do they do with this information? Perhaps revelations would be unprofessional, or could in fact harm national security by airing our dirty laundry in public. But it's hard for me to believe these guy have just gone away to play golf or putter around the house.

Done in this thread because Napolitano is saying Trump did in fact obstruct justice.
Napolitano may be looking past the tip of his nose. He may be actually looking at the Mueller report and what it actually says. He probably has enough wealth socked away that he doesn't need the Fox job, so he can look to the future.

The Mueller report isn't going away, Trump did obstruct justice, and that fact is going to end up in the books. Mueller could not see his way clear to flatly say so because he knew the DOJ would not indict Trump. But Mueller got as close as he felt he ethically could when he stated that he would have exonerated Trump of obstruction if he could have. But he didn't, because he couldn't. He couldn't, because he knew Trump obstructed justice.
__________________
"I did not say that!" - Donald Trump
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 06:09 PM   #370
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 18,117
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
It bugs me when you say this. I feel like it's an insult to honest whores.

Thank you. I love this kind of information. It makes me feel smart. I looked this up from the U.S. Energy Information Administration. A caveat, the page considers only uranium used as fuel; I don't know the stats for weapons-grade uranium and I'm sure it gets very complicated depending on isotopes, enrichment etc.
Fear not, I would classify women making a living at it as sex workers.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 07:11 PM   #371
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 11,632
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
So what is up with Andrew Napolitano's sudden turn on Trump? Trump says it's because he did not nominate Napolitano to the Supreme Court. I don't really track which Trump sycophants have turned on him, but it seems there must be a growing body of information that has not been made public. What do people like Mattis and Kelly do with their loyalty when they jump off the Trump train? If they believe Trump is endangering national security, what do they do with this information? Perhaps revelations would be unprofessional, or could in fact harm national security by airing our dirty laundry in public. But it's hard for me to believe these guy have just gone away to play golf or putter around the house.

Done in this thread because Napolitano is saying Trump did in fact obstruct justice.
I guess everyone has a different point at which they can no longer ignore what is in front of them. Perhaps Napolitano has reached that point.
__________________
#THEYAREUS
The Mueller Report must be released to Congress in full - If Trump has nothing to hide, then he should also have nothing to fear!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 08:02 PM   #372
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 30,025
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
So what is up with Andrew Napolitano's sudden turn on Trump?
I think it's less about Trump and more about protecting his own credibility as a legal expert.
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 08:26 PM   #373
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,986
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
And yet the reason you believe Barr is equally applicable to the testimony of Hillary or pretty much anyone testifying before Congress.

"'Spinning' there would likely put himself in jeopardy, why would he do that?"

People, including, perhaps, Hillary, "spin" before Congress. They put things in a particular way to give impressions, given that such spin does not entail a provable lie under oath. "I think spying occurred," is a good example. There is literally no reason that Barr would fear consequences of saying this, since there are no consequences. Unless there are memos written by Barr saying that he does not believe spying occurred, no one could prove that this is a lie whether or not it is.

What jeopardy do you see for Barr saying that he thinks spying occurred when he does not? The term "spying" is itself vague. If surveillance counts as spying, then surely he's right. There was some surveillance of Trump campaign members, if I'm not mistaken. But "spying" makes it sound rather sinister, just as his boss would like it.
Again the point was it will be interesting to learn about these facts that lead Barr to his statement. I don't think it will be productive to have a debate over who has the more trustworthy statements to Congress. I'm only interested in the nature of the facts to be revealed at some point.

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Ignoring the pivot to Hillary, Upchurch didn't say that having contacts is a crime. He was speaking about overriding security concerns given actual financial interests in foreign nations is a genuine concern.
Conspiracy theories and hypotheiticals? I think there's a section somewhere for those.

Chris B.
__________________
One could choose to be civil though and still disagree. For example, since I know Bigfoot does exist, I don't call others "idiot" just because they're uneducated on the subject and share a different view based on that lack of experience. Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 08:49 PM   #374
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 73,872
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I think it's less about Trump and more about protecting his own credibility as a legal expert.
Kind of like when rats decide it's time to jump ship.
__________________
Restore checks and balances no matter your party affiliation.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 03:17 AM   #375
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 24,228
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1122455738058776581

Quote:
NEW: Barr has warned Dems on House Judiciary he won’t show up to this week's highly anticipated hearing if they stick to the format Nadler has proposed for the questioning, according to a committee source.

Barr, we’re told, is objecting to Nadler plan to allow for a round (after members question) of 30 minutes for each side, allowing committee counsels to question. And he is opposed to move to closed session to discuss the unredacted report.
Article embedded in second tweet.

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/...84071286878209

Quote:
Barr promised transparency, but now he’s unwilling to sit for questions because Nadler planned to have an attorney ask the questions.
https://twitter.com/brianefallon/sta...96635819495426

Quote:
Christine Blasey Ford bravely took questions from an outside lawyer because Republicans insisted on it. But now the Attorney General of the United States is afraid of being questioned by staff lawyers about the Mueller report?
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1122502524274139142

Quote:
Nadler just now on Barr. “The witness is not going to tell the committee how to conduct its hearing, period.” Asked what he will do if Barr doesn’t relent, Nadler warns: “Then we will have to subpoena him, and we will have to use whatever means we can to enforce the subpoena.”
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 04:20 AM   #376
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,865
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Again the point was it will be interesting to learn about these facts that lead Barr to his statement. I don't think it will be productive to have a debate over who has the more trustworthy statements to Congress. I'm only interested in the nature of the facts to be revealed at some point.



Conspiracy theories and hypotheiticals? I think there's a section somewhere for those.

Chris B.
Your post works better without the space in between. Conspiracy theories and hypotheticals indeed!
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 04:38 AM   #377
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher
 
Beelzebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,761
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Can't they just subpoena immediately? I don't know why they're content dragging the process out; no one involved is going to cooperate willingly.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 04:47 AM   #378
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 30,025
Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Can't they just subpoena immediately? I don't know why they're content dragging the process out; no one involved is going to cooperate willingly.
I think they want to shield themselves from being called partisan and unprofessional by giving the criminals in the White House and DoJ plenty of opportunity to cooperate. It's silly, because Trump loyalists will call Democrats partisan no matter what, but I think it's more to show independents how unruly the Trump regime is.
__________________
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 04:47 AM   #379
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 8,195
Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Can't they just subpoena immediately? I don't know why they're content dragging the process out; no one involved is going to cooperate willingly.
This Supreme Court has shown a tendency to punt on decisions it doesn't want to make by referring them back due to technicalities.
By giving the Trump folks every opportunity to comply, the House is showing that cooperation requires a Court Order.
__________________
Opinion is divided on the subject. All the others say it is; I say it isn’t.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 04:51 AM   #380
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,321
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I do have some time to waste. I don't have so much of it that I want to delve too deeply into unrelated hypotheticals.

Chris B.
”I could’ve answered, if I wanted to.”
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 08:07 AM   #381
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 20,662
Trump Tweets

Bob Mueller was a great HERO to the Radical Left Democrats. Now that the Mueller Report is finished, with a finding of NO COLLUSION & NO OBSTRUCTION (based on a review of Report by our highly respected A.G.), the Dems are going around saying, “Bob who, sorry, don’t know the man.”
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 08:13 AM   #382
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 5,068
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Bob Mueller was a great HERO to the Radical Left Democrats. Now that the Mueller Report is finished, with a finding of NO COLLUSION & NO OBSTRUCTION (based on a review of Report by our highly respected A.G.), the Dems are going around saying, “Bob who, sorry, don’t know the man.”
The irony of that post considering his ever changing memory of things like Wikileaks, etc.
__________________
"All acts performed in the world begin in the imagination."--Barbara Grizzuti Harrison

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 08:31 AM   #383
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 13,069
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Bob Mueller was a great HERO to the Radical Left Democrats. Now that the Mueller Report is finished, with a finding of NO COLLUSION & NO OBSTRUCTION (based on a review of Report by our highly respected A.G.)
Who is this "highly respected A.G." Trump is referring to? I thought Barr was the A.G. (a man who is wildly viewed as a partisan hack and who got confirmed thanks to Republican's lack of integrity.)
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 10:47 AM   #384
Venom
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 2,310
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I think it's less about Trump and more about protecting his own credibility as a legal expert.
Yeah.

Judge Napolitano has never not spoken his mind, even if it meant cozying up with conspiracy theorists and speaking out against the Bush administration.

His comments against Trump aren't all that surprising, or at least shouldn't be if you know his history.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 11:25 AM   #385
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 11,453
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Again the point was it will be interesting to learn about these facts that lead Barr to his statement. I don't think it will be productive to have a debate over who has the more trustworthy statements to Congress. I'm only interested in the nature of the facts to be revealed at some point.
Well, we can see if an investigation turns up anything nefarious, but that has little to do with your silly comment that Barr wouldn't spin in front of Congress because of the dire consequences.


Quote:
Conspiracy theories and hypotheiticals? I think there's a section somewhere for those.

Chris B.
What conspiracy theories or hypotheticals? Surely, you know that Kushner and others have financial stakes in foreign nations, yes? And that there are reports that a denial of Kushner's security clearance was overturned?

Neither Upchurch nor I drew any conclusions from those two statements. The two are sufficient for concern over how such clearances have been granted.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 12:00 PM   #386
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 31,426
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
What conspiracy theories or hypotheticals? Surely, you know that Kushner and others have financial stakes in foreign nations, yes? And that there are reports that a denial of Kushner's security clearance was overturned?

Neither Upchurch nor I drew any conclusions from those two statements. The two are sufficient for concern over how such clearances have been granted.
I did draw one conclusion. Anyone who still thinks Clinton sold uranium to the Russians as part of the Uranium One deal is lost in an already debunked CT.
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain, maybe.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 12:05 PM   #387
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 5,068
Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I did draw one conclusion. Anyone who still thinks Clinton sold uranium to the Russians as part of the Uranium One deal is lost in an already debunked CT.
I know "the right" isn't a huge fan of Mr. John Oliver, but he did a thorough and complete debunking of that nonsense. It was really good, and very entertaining. I didn't watch this link, but I'm pretty sure it's the correct one if anyone wants to see it.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
"All acts performed in the world begin in the imagination."--Barbara Grizzuti Harrison

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 02:13 PM   #388
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 11,632
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I know "the right" isn't a huge fan of Mr. John Oliver, but he did a thorough and complete debunking of that nonsense. It was really good, and very entertaining. I didn't watch this link, but I'm pretty sure it's the correct one if anyone wants to see it.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
So much stuff that he talked about in 2016 turns out to be real issues... the

Trump Foundation... BUSTED
Trump University... BUSTED


And on what planet is a trust run by your family members a blind trust?
__________________
#THEYAREUS
The Mueller Report must be released to Congress in full - If Trump has nothing to hide, then he should also have nothing to fear!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 02:31 PM   #389
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21,422
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I know "the right" isn't a huge fan of Mr. John Oliver, but he did a thorough and complete debunking of that nonsense. It was really good, and very entertaining. I didn't watch this link, but I'm pretty sure it's the correct one if anyone wants to see it.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I remember Rachel Maddow go over it in excruciating detail.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 02:36 PM   #390
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 5,068
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I remember Rachel Maddow go over it in excruciating detail.
She does well, but she doesn't make me chuckle like John.
__________________
"All acts performed in the world begin in the imagination."--Barbara Grizzuti Harrison

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 09:13 PM   #391
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
ChrisBFRPKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,986
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
”I could’ve answered, if I wanted to.”
You know, I don't consider an endless argument with multiple opponents about hypothetical situations productive. Time consuming yes, productive no.

Chris B.
__________________
One could choose to be civil though and still disagree. For example, since I know Bigfoot does exist, I don't call others "idiot" just because they're uneducated on the subject and share a different view based on that lack of experience. Chris B.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 02:08 AM   #392
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 31,426
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
You know, I don't consider an endless argument with multiple opponents about hypothetical situations productive. Time consuming yes, productive no.

Chris B.
Huh. That’s almost exactly what Zig said when he tried to argue that Obama is a thin-skinned narcissist but then couldn’t. Of course, he’d say “couldn’t” and “didn’t” are different things, but you know, Hitchen’s Razor. Put up or shut up.
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain, maybe.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 03:23 AM   #393
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 24,228
Legal expert Benjamin Wittes outlines 5 conclusions from spending a week closely reading the Mueller report

TL/DR:

Quote:
  • The president committed crimes.
  • The president also committed impeachable offenses.
  • Trump was not complicit in the Russian social-media conspiracy.
  • Trump’s complicity in the Russian hacking operation and his campaign’s contacts with the Russians present a more complicated picture.
  • The counterintelligence dimensions of the entire affair remain a mystery.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 04:44 AM   #394
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 82,205
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
You know, I don't consider an endless argument with multiple opponents about hypothetical situations productive. Time consuming yes, productive no.
An interesting excuse; one that, I'm sure, you don't use when you think you can win said argument.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 06:46 AM   #395
applecorped
Rotten to the Core
 
applecorped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 19,366
Awwww. Lol.
__________________
All You Need Is Love.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 08:34 AM   #396
Toontown
Philosopher
 
Toontown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,595
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Awwww. Lol.
Huh. That guy who never says anything but "Lol" said "Lol" again.

Has anybody ever asked this guy what he wants?

Because great entertainment this ain't. I've seen better entertainment on the inside of bubble gum wrappers.
__________________
"I did not say that!" - Donald Trump
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 08:53 AM   #397
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 82,205
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Awwww. Lol.
Well, I'm convinced.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 08:58 AM   #398
Cavemonster
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,395
How I long for more substantive and thoughtful arguments from conservatives.
__________________
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 12:46 PM   #399
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 21,437
Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
How I long for more substantive and thoughtful arguments from conservatives.
'K.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 01:54 PM   #400
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 21,422
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
She does well, but she doesn't make me chuckle like John.
No, she doesn't.

Oliver and his writers are amazing. His show explains some pretty dense subjects and makes you laugh. That has to be hard to do.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:37 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.