ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th May 2019, 04:07 AM   #41
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm willing to believe that Trump doesn't hate gays, certainly not the way he does Blacks, Hispanics, and Muslims. His problem is going to be that most of his core supporters do. He'll probably have to change course to avoid losing votes. That's certainly never bothered him before.
I think Trump expects gay people to act like the stereotypical gay person who works in the hospitality industry. I think he expects Jews to be good with money. He expects black people to do the menial jobs around his properties and he expects Hispanics to do housekeeping. I don't think he hates people, he's just assigned them roles and expects them to fit those roles. He probably hates Buttigieg because they guy isn't a waiter.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 05:58 AM   #42
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump just doesn't consider anyone but himself (and maybe Ivanka) to be human in the first place.
Old 18th May 2019, 07:20 AM   #43
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
It's not the people or groups that Trump personally loves or hates that concern me. I don't know if he truly believes in anything except himself. It's that he's happy to accommodate and weaponize and feed the racism that's prevalent in his base to empower himself.
Yep!
Old 18th May 2019, 09:04 AM   #44
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
And wasn't that sweet of them. Unless you think it's a problem. Are you saying it's a problem???
No surprise, you only hear the dog whistles when a Republican uses them.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2019, 10:44 AM   #45
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
No, not really:
Fox News’ Steve Hilton asked Trump whether he thinks “it’s just great” to have it “not even seen as a big deal” for a male presidential candidate to be onstage with his husband.

“I think it’s absolutely fine,” Trump responded in a clip that was posted on Thursday. “I think that’s something that perhaps some people will have a problem with. I have no problem with it whatsoever. I think it’s good."

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...usband-1329624
And today?
Old 19th May 2019, 04:22 AM   #46
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

No, not really:
Fox News’ Steve Hilton asked Trump whether he thinks “it’s just great” to have it “not even seen as a big deal” for a male presidential candidate to be onstage with his husband.

“I think it’s absolutely fine,” Trump responded in a clip that was posted on Thursday. “I think that’s something that perhaps some people will have a problem with. I have no problem with it whatsoever. I think it’s good."

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...usband-1329624
News at 11... Greatest liar in US political history tells a lie.
Old 19th May 2019, 05:27 AM   #47
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/17/polit...uttigieg-lgbt/

The way Mayor Pete handled this in the town hall (in the video over the article) should worry Trump. He's going to make Trump his bitch.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 06:40 AM   #48
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

As I said before, I'm willing to believe Trump doesn't personally hate gays. I would also bet money that a majority of his die-hard supporters do. I hope that becomes a problem for him.
Old 19th May 2019, 07:22 AM   #49
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

As I said before, I'm willing to believe Trump doesn't personally hate gays. I would also bet money that a majority of his die-hard supporters do. I hope that becomes a problem for him.
I went looking on Breitbart for this story and I couldn't find it. I think they have a good strategy for not letting it be a problem.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 08:33 AM   #50
Lurch
Muse

Indeed. Trump can blab his heart out to the 'Fake News Liberal Media', knowing how his Base is unlikely to suffer exposure, and how Fox & co will ignore or spin anything anyway.

What a good thing the Orange Excrescence has going with the information bubble within which his Base has willingly contracted. His minions can compartmentalize the Fuhrer's messages that help or hinder. The cult followers get their diet of reinforcing bile while the rest see the contradictions.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 01:57 PM   #51
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And today?
Crime novelist Lawrence Block has been writing stories with openly gay characters since the 70s at least.

So has Armistead Maupin.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 01:58 PM   #52
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
Just like the pussy grabbing lie?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 02:13 PM   #53
Lurch
Muse

Riiiiiight. A congenital liar can *never, ever, once* say a truthful thing. Now, there's a good chance the Toad was at least exaggerating, like insecure, immature louts have done since year dot.

Are you insinuating that a position adopting that an person is a pathological liar cannot admit to the possibility of an occasional nugget of truth being uttered? Humans are not so infallibly robotic in their consistency; the most honest person will tell the odd lie, and the most dishonest the occasional truth.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 03:16 PM   #54
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Dog whistle? This was in 2004, right? Back when Republicans were trying to use gay marriage as a wedge issue by putting gay marriage bans on the ballot.
Old 19th May 2019, 04:45 PM   #55
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

This is the position of a simpleton who is only capable of seeing black and white, no gray.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 04:55 PM   #56
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

You are honestly not understanding the problems with Trump’s statement?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 04:55 PM   #57
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Much of a selective memory there?

Quote:
At least 23 women have accused President Donald Trump of sexual misconduct since the 1970s.

Trump has repeatedly denied all of the accusations, calling the women "liars."

Most recently, former Trump campaign staffer Alva Johnson filed a federal lawsuit against Trump in February 2019 alleging that he kissed her without her consent at a 2016 campaign event.
Quote:
As a national conversation on sexual misconduct is gripping the country from Hollywood to Capitol Hill, some renewed attention has been focused on the sexual misconduct allegations that at least 23 women have made against Trump since the 1970s.

A deluge of women made their accusations public following the October 2016 release of the "Access Hollywood" tape, in which Trump was recorded boasting about grabbing women's genitals in 2005. Some others made their stories public months before the tape's release, and still others came forward in the months following.

Trump has dismissed all of the allegations — which include ogling, harassment, groping, and rape — as "fabricated" and politically motivated accounts pushed by the media and his political opponents, and promised to sue all of his accusers. In some cases, he and his lawyer have suggested that Trump didn't engage in the alleged behavior with a certain woman because she was not attractive enough.
https://www.businessinsider.com/wome...t-list-2017-12
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 04:58 PM   #58
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
You are honestly not understanding the problems with Trump’s statement?
Now, now...it was 'only' locker room talk so it's perfectly acceptable. After all, pigs will be pigs!
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 05:01 PM   #59
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Now, now...it was 'only' locker room talk so it's perfectly acceptable. After all, pigs will be pigs!
Also acceptable because a Republican said it.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 05:06 PM   #60
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Also acceptable because a Republican said it.
Oh right. Dang, I guess it’s time for another apology to Cheney for making hmi shoot me in the face.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2019, 09:40 PM   #61
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Oh right. Dang, I guess it’s time for another apology to Cheney for making hmi shoot me in the face.
You better, or he'll shoot you in the knee cap - for your own good of course.
Old 19th May 2019, 11:57 PM   #62
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Trump loves the LGBT community so much that he appointed Pence as his VP. With Pence's help, Trump hopes to cure them of their sexual depravities.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 05:08 AM   #63
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
I gather that Trump holds--or at least held--many liberal views, having spent much of his life hanging around in the celeb/arts/sports sphere.
Come on there is to evidence that Trump holds any true views other than the greatness of Trump. Maybe white supremacy but aside from that it is what ever he thinks will make him look best at the time.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 05:14 AM   #64
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Yea this was as bad as all that pointing out the anti abortion politicians who pressure their mistresses to have abortions. How ones political views impact their personal life is totally out of bounds.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 05:15 AM   #65
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Why? You think Trump would take some moral stand against his base?
Old 20th May 2019, 05:19 AM   #66
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Trump lies to get people to like him. So he says what he thinks would go over well in any situation. Why does bragging about sexual assault as a lie become so much better in a candidate than doing all the sexual assault he has long bragged about, like walking into changing rooms of miss teen universe?

Does supporting a candidate who likes people to think he commits sexual assault because of his power really better than one who does it?

Really lying might make him not a criminal but why does that make bragging that you commit sexual assault a ok trait in a leader?
Old 20th May 2019, 05:48 AM   #67
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Trump lies to get people to like him. So he says what he thinks would go over well in any situation. Why does bragging about sexual assault as a lie become so much better in a candidate than doing all the sexual assault he has long bragged about, like walking into changing rooms of miss teen universe?

Does supporting a candidate who likes people to think he commits sexual assault because of his power really better than one who does it?

Really lying might make him not a criminal but why does that make bragging that you commit sexual assault a ok trait in a leader?
I think it says a lot about Trump that his defenders' best defense of him is that he's an insane liar. That's the most positive thing they can come up with.
Old 20th May 2019, 07:46 PM   #68
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

If the stupid bitch you're so enamored of doesn't like being called president pussy grabber, he should gave kept his mouth shut. It's his own fault he gets called that. Who cares if he really did it or not?
Old 20th May 2019, 08:17 PM   #69
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

It's weird that Trump cultists are defending Trump by saying he was just telling a lie about that.....
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th May 2019, 09:45 PM   #70
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I think Trump expects gay people to act like the stereotypical gay person who works in the hospitality industry. I think he expects Jews to be good with money. He expects black people to do the menial jobs around his properties and he expects Hispanics to do housekeeping. I don't think he hates people, he's just assigned them roles and expects them to fit those roles. He probably hates Buttigieg because they guy isn't a waiter.
And?

Again, white supremacism (and yes, anti-LGBT bigotry is worked into what this ultimately is) in the US isn't about genocidal hatred. It has *always* been about money. The design is to take land from Native Americans, and labor from black Americans, and funnel the proceeds to a specific group of white people. The guys fuming about "welfare cheats" and cheering killer cops or George Zimmerman today are just the chumps that help out, just like the ignorant unionists that refused to accept black members before them, and the sustenance farmers who eagerly fought for the Confederacy before them, and the same farmers on slave patrols before *them*. If they were thinking rationally, they'd team up with black people in each case, but they've been more interested in being "over" black people than in aiding themselves.

How would LGBT people work into this? Another underclass to exploit, another group to distract the sustenance farmers with. Think a wealthy white LGBT person will suffer? Ha! It's the black trans woman that gets killed, the gay white guy that gets denied jobs and housing. Dolt 45 is just more obvious about it, since he's a dimwitted malignant narcissist.

Last edited by Mumbles; 20th May 2019 at 09:46 PM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2019, 12:15 AM   #71
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Come on there is [no] evidence that Trump holds any true views other than the greatness of Trump. Maybe white supremacy but aside from that it is what ever he thinks will make him look best at the time.
Not true.

Central Park jogger case
Quote:
On May 1, 1989, real estate magnate Donald Trump called for the return of the death penalty when he took out full-page advertisements in all four of the city's major newspapers. Trump said he wanted the "criminals of every age" who were accused of beating and raping a jogger in Central Park 12 days earlier "to be afraid"... In a 1989 interview with CNN, Trump said to Larry King: "The problem with our society is the victim has absolutely no rights and the criminal has unbelievable rights" and that "maybe hate is what we need if we're gonna get something done."

In October 2016, when Trump campaigned to be president, he declared that the Central Park Five were guilty and stated that their convictions should never have been vacated.
These are not the words and actions of someone who does 'what ever he thinks will make him look best at the time'. It shows that he does have strong convictions about certain subjects. And if you actually listen to what he says, you will find that he doesn't just say things to make himself look good. When Trump described Mexican immigrants as criminals and rapists, when he talked about **** hole countries, when he insisted that Obama wasn't a real American - he didn't take those positions just to look good.

Some people argue that Trump just says things that he thinks his base wants to hear. I don't think that's true. I think his 'base' only exists because he was already saying those things - even before he knew there was a group who wanted to hear it. IOW, he's one of them.
Old 21st May 2019, 02:08 AM   #72
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Not true.

Central Park jogger caseThese are not the words and actions of someone who does 'what ever he thinks will make him look best at the time'. It shows that he does have strong convictions about certain subjects. And if you actually listen to what he says, you will find that he doesn't just say things to make himself look good. When Trump described Mexican immigrants as criminals and rapists, when he talked about **** hole countries, when he insisted that Obama wasn't a real American - he didn't take those positions just to look good.

Some people argue that Trump just says things that he thinks his base wants to hear. I don't think that's true. I think his 'base' only exists because he was already saying those things - even before he knew there was a group who wanted to hear it. IOW, he's one of them.
You start by saying “not true” in response to a claim that Trump focuses on saying what will make him look good and a speculation that he sometimes verbalizes apparently-sincere white-supremacist beliefs. But the three example you give (Mexican rapists, ****hole African countries, and President Obama not a real American) are the things a white bigot would say. It sounds as if you agree with ponderingturtle’s theorizing.
Old 21st May 2019, 03:30 AM   #73
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Not true.

Central Park jogger caseThese are not the words and actions of someone who does 'what ever he thinks will make him look best at the time'. It shows that he does have strong convictions about certain subjects. And if you actually listen to what he says, you will find that he doesn't just say things to make himself look good. When Trump described Mexican immigrants as criminals and rapists, when he talked about **** hole countries, when he insisted that Obama wasn't a real American - he didn't take those positions just to look good.

Oh yes his racism is far beyond what is needed to appeal to his base. He was even upset that they got released just because they were innocent! Add in his fixation on what other members of his family have accomplished and how that makes him smarter and white supremacy is pretty easy to show. There is also his love of nazi twitter for example.
Old 21st May 2019, 07:19 AM   #74
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
How else can you possibly interpret this? "Some people" is how Trump refers to himself. "Some people will have a problem with it" means "I personally have a problem with it and will bring it up at literally every opportunity."
Sure, a mind reader might be able to interpret it that way.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2019, 07:35 AM   #75
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
ERROR: File Not Found.
Old 21st May 2019, 07:39 AM   #76
wareyin
Philosopher

Also, anyone who has paid any attention to Trump using that exact phrase to advance his own views since he has been in the public eye should be able to interpret it that way. But sure, pretend it takes mind reading, if that helps you deny the obvious.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2019, 08:03 AM   #77
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

The question is not what Trump says about it, but what do his supporters think he believes? Irrespective of what we could think about Trump's comments, white supremicists believe he is on board with them. What do anti-gay bigots think about Trump's position? Do they believe he is anti-gay and has their backs? If so, then who are we to argue with them?

If anti-gay people think you are one of them, then it's up to YOU to change their mind, not me. Unless you are ok with it.
Old 21st May 2019, 08:04 AM   #78
Belz...
Fiend God

You know how we read people's minds? By looking at what they say and how they act.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 06:24 AM   #79
Toontown
Philosopher

It is significant that Trump taking a reasonable position is considered threadworthy.

Other than that, the thread is a dead bust.

My use for Trump's positions is limited to using him for a reverse truth-o-meter or determining what it is that he is trying to conceal or indoctrinate his Trumpkins about at the moment.

However, there is a method to those uses. In the absence of other information, one may rule out what Trump says with (roughly) 75% certainty. That's not quite enough, but one usually does have other information which can be factored in.

But that's for another thread.

Last edited by Toontown; 22nd May 2019 at 06:43 AM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2019, 07:15 AM   #80
ahhell
Master Poster

Trump has had a more consistent position on Gay Marriage than either of the previous two dem presidential candidates.

Trump is a douche bag, everyone knows that. We've had a number of douchebags as president and it was democratic administration where the dems basically said, it doesn't matter. Blah Blah Blah, different time except I know guys that were court martialed(captains masted) for much less sexual impropriety at the time. Tu Toque, sure but it highlights the hypocrisy on the matter.

Trump never said he had grabbed women by the pussy. He said he could get away with it. A very douchey thing to say, if I had been in the room I'd have found a reason to leave and assumed he was one of the many douchebags that are full **** regarding there sexual history.

Is there a rape allegation other than the one by his wife during a divorce that was later retracted?

Side note, I've been "Sexually Assaulted" myself, a couple of times. A dude literaly grabbed my by the cock and got a away with it. A few women have kissed me without permission too.

If he hates Mayor Pete, its on account of Mayor Pete being such a good politician, he's easily the best in the race. If he starts getting traction, will see Trump actually attacking him. There is literally now reason to think Trump is a homophobe, I have no doubt he's willing to pander to homophobes though. I suspect if he thinks he needs to, he will totally bust homophobic slurs and what not.

Trump does seem to have a few convictions. He seems to have believed trade and trade deficits are bad since the 80s at least. So, mildly amusing that the only thing I have confidence he actually believes, he's clearly wrong about.

Last edited by ahhell; 22nd May 2019 at 07:20 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics