ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , meghan markle , political gaffes , Trump controversies , US-UK relations

Old 5th June 2019, 09:03 AM   #201
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Yep all that mining waste is putting the cleaners from the clean coal into the water making it all cleaner.
I would love to see trumpfy tricked into drinking a gallon or 5 of mining waste water!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 09:15 AM   #202
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump tells Prince Charles US has "clean climate": “The United States right now has among the cleanest climates there are based on all statistics." "We want the best water, the cleanest water. It’s crystal clean, has to be crystal clean clear.”
Is it really worth listening to anything he says? He can barely speak English.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 09:27 AM   #203
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
He's the President of the most powerful country in the world and reflects the views of at least 40% of the electorate, quite probably the largest single group given that the other 60% are split between various groups - so yes unfortunately it is....
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 09:30 AM   #204
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

There was a giant balloon of him as a baby and a statue of him ******** on a toilet that blared out comical fart sounds plus many numbers of protesters.

By 'quite the opposite' does he think they were there to support him?

Where was the 'big crowd' in support of him and the USA?
Off making plans to attend his next inaugural.
Old 5th June 2019, 09:31 AM   #205
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
Pretty much. It's clear that Trump is not someone I'd ever want to have beer with, but he saved us (the World, not just the US) from the crooked b!tch of the West.
Yes, and we got an even bigger, more crooked bitch.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 09:34 AM   #206
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
The problem with leftists/liberals is lack of self-awareness commensurate with their mediocre, or worse, IQ's.
As one dog falls, another rises!

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 09:36 AM   #207
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Trump tells Prince Charles US has "clean climate": “The United States right now has among the cleanest climates there are based on all statistics." "We want the best water, the cleanest water. It’s crystal clean, has to be crystal clean clear.”
You hear that, Flint?
Old 5th June 2019, 09:41 AM   #208
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
He is clever. Every one in UK knows he is lying and the protests have been large and the crowds supporting him........ crowds is the wrong word.... the few people who went out of their way to cheer him is embarrassingly low. However his tweets are not aimed at an informed audience in the UK or those in America who look for confirmation of his 'facts'. He is tweeting to people who believe him and will swear that he took 4 hours to walk down the mall shaking hands with the well wishers.
Same MO as Farage currently wibbling on about "fake polls" - it just for his acolytes who would never actually bother to check, and certainly wouldn't believe anyone who says he'd talking bollocks, because it's what they want to hear.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 09:51 AM   #209
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Yesterday a protester-protester rushed in and stabbed the famous Baby-Trump balloon with a knife in an attempt to deflate it and then shouted at the crowd that they should all be ashamed because Trump is "the best president ever". She failed to deflate the balloon but she managed to injure herself quite badly, and the video of her arrest is as good as any SovCit bust.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 10:02 AM   #210
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Yesterday a protester-protester rushed in and stabbed the famous Baby-Trump balloon with a knife in an attempt to deflate it and then shouted at the crowd that they should all be ashamed because Trump is "the best president ever". She failed to deflate the balloon but she managed to injure herself quite badly, and the video of her arrest is as good as any SovCit bust.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Though in the US she'd have been shot for 'resisting arrest while quite close to a knife'. What a pitiful arse.
Old 5th June 2019, 10:11 AM   #211
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Though in the US she'd have been shot for 'resisting arrest while quite close to a knife'. What a pitiful arse.
Why? Is she a minority?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 10:48 AM   #212
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I swear by Mercury’s Sandals that I am trying to treat you with respect.

The photo essay is titled, “The Funniest Signs at the Trump Protest,” and you are taking issue with the level of intellect displayed in the selected protest signs.

As for President Trump’s intelligence, let’s have a look at the record. May 2016, “People said I want to go and buy debt and default on debt, and I mean, these people are crazy. This is the United States government. First of all, you never have to default because you print the money, I hate to tell you, OK?"

Do we really need to provide more examples?
What about Trump to Varadkar (Irish PM) today: You have the same trouble with your border as us.
Old 5th June 2019, 10:52 AM   #213
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Did the Palace count the silverware are Dumbass's visit or did they give him the chrome plated stuff?
I bet they're relieved they didn't offer him accommodation ('renovations', you understand) as they'll be aware his hotel is now busily trying to wash out the orange make-up he left all over the sheets.
Old 5th June 2019, 10:53 AM   #214
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post

I AGREE
She came across to me in the video as being rather unstable, which made me curious about her. I found that her name is Amy Beth Dallamura and is a supporter of right-wing activist Tommy Robinson. Robinson is the founder of the EDL (English Defence League) which is an extremist anti-Islamic group. She is a right-wing activist known as "Based Amy". According to The Hill:

Quote:
Based Amy also made headlines in 2007 when she reportedly cost rescue services more than 1 million pounds by staging at least 50 “cries for help” and throwing herself in the sea around Britain’s coast, BBC News reported. Mura was reportedly banned from being within 50 meters of the sea surrounding the British coast.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 10:53 AM   #215
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
So, no mention of the sons of Canada and all the other nations involved on D-Day, then?
The Commonwealth contingent outnumbered the US one.
Old 5th June 2019, 10:54 AM   #216
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
At least then she would have managed suicide after all her previous attempts.

"Based Amy also made headlines in 2007 when she reportedly cost rescue services more than 1 million pounds by staging at least 50 “cries for help” and throwing herself in the sea around Britain’s coast, BBC News reported. Mura was reportedly banned from being within 50 meters of the sea surrounding the British coast."

https://thehill.com/policy/internati...mp-is-the-best
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 10:56 AM   #217
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I think the same is true of pretty much all of the Conservative front-runners. The only difference with some is that it wouldn't require a no-deal Brexit to trigger the selling off of the NHS

I was chatting ranting in the pub last night and a couple of members of Wyld Bird Seed insisted that the NHS was safe in Tory hands and simply refused to believe that a significant proportion of services had already been privatised, NHS funding had been reduced in real terms since 2010
Well that isn't true

https://fullfact.org/health/spending-english-nhs/

NHS funding hasn't been increasing as fast recently as it has under previous governments but it is still increasing even in real terms.

It is also true, however, that expenditure is increasing faster than real terms and faster than funding and it is also true (in my opinion) that the future of the NHS is not safe in the hands of the current crop of Tories. But then nothing about this country is safe in the hands of the current crop of Tories.
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 10:59 AM   #218
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
They served him McDonald's hamburgers and fries, no utensils required. They did put the good tarp down, to catch all the splashing.
He was told by his adviser that British etiquette decrees that one must not finish before the Queen. She is said to be a 'brisk' eater, which I am sure came as a relief to Trump.
Old 5th June 2019, 11:06 AM   #219
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Why? Is she a minority?
No, for attempted assassination of a president. There is no evidence suggesting she knew it wasn't actually the real Trump rather than the hyperrealistic decoy.
Old 5th June 2019, 11:09 AM   #220
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
He was told by his adviser that British etiquette decrees that one must not finish before the Queen. She is said to be a 'brisk' eater, which I am sure came as a relief to Trump.
Didn't it come out a few years back that the queen subsists entirely upon mixed nuts placed in bowls in every room of the palace? It wasn't specifically said the bowls were placed directly on the floor but I'm certain they are.
Old 5th June 2019, 11:13 AM   #221
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
It can't be. It's a government entity like the US military is a government entity. It would need to be privatised first, then sold off.

Can you imagine the US privatising its whole military establishment then selling it off to another country to run at a cheaper price? Someone like...say...China? "Selling the NHS" is that sort of silly.

Don't be fooled by Trump's professed buffonery. His US adviser confirmed to Andrew Marr (tv pundit) that they are eyeing the NHS. Nigel Farage has had close talks with Trump on various occasions: a rabid wannabe NHS privatiser.

The biggest confirmation of all is yesterday's FINANCIAL TIMES front page (- this is what the ruling classes read and closer to the truth than the tabloids). It said Trump was looking to bring in US Pharma into the NHS.

Not selling off the NHS but setting up the same medical insurance schemes in the UK that run US healthcare. Even Obamacare is enough to bankrupt you should you need medical care and your health insurance doesn't cover you, together with all kinds of add-ons you have to pay yourself.

Standard of health care varies depending on what your employer's healthcare covers. Heaven help you if you are unemployed. A 26-year old in the US died recently because he couldn't afford the US$900 pcm for his diabetes insulin.

This is what Trump-Farage want to see in the UK. A vastly inequitable country with huge social distance, not even based on ability or meritocracy any more but more on how much money you can inherit or how much your parents can support you, even as an adult.

Last edited by Vixen; 5th June 2019 at 11:16 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 11:15 AM   #222
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
So, no mention of the sons of Canada and all the other nations involved on D-Day, then?

A lot of Russians, Poles, and many other nationalities participated in defeating the Nazis, but not in Normandy, of course.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 5th June 2019 at 11:32 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 11:19 AM   #223
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
A lot Russians, Poles, and many other nationalities participated in defeating the Nazis, but not in Normandy, of course.
Ironic that Trump's dad/granddad would have likely been Nazi supporters had they still lived in Germany. Batting for the other side, as it were.
Old 5th June 2019, 11:30 AM   #224
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Ironic that Trump's dad/granddad would have likely been Nazi supporters had they still lived in Germany. Batting for the other side, as it were.
Very possible. When my German immigrant great-uncle returned to Germany in 1957 to visit family, he found his brother still revered Hitler. They never spoke again.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 11:32 AM   #225
dann
Philosopher

I AGREE

I AGREE

I AGREE

I AGREE

I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 5th June 2019 at 11:59 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 03:49 PM   #226
angrysoba
Philosophile

He speaks crystal good English. He has the best words. Good words. English. Best of English. Crystal English.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 03:51 PM   #227
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Some people think it's supremely important to note and repeat every tweet he makes.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 04:54 PM   #228
fuelair
Banned

On the other hand he is a very good speaker of gibberish!!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 05:06 PM   #229
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
The trumpfster rarely has any real ides of what is tumbling out of his mouth!!!
ideas damn it!!!!!!!!!
Old 5th June 2019, 10:01 PM   #230
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
At least then she would have managed suicide after all her previous attempts.

"Based Amy also made headlines in 2007 when she reportedly cost rescue services more than 1 million pounds by staging at least 50 “cries for help” and throwing herself in the sea around Britain’s coast, BBC News reported. Mura was reportedly banned from being within 50 meters of the sea surrounding the British coast."

https://thehill.com/policy/internati...mp-is-the-best
What we call in Oz a "serial pest". We have one or two of those as well.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 10:06 PM   #231
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Don't be fooled by Trump's professed buffonery. His US adviser confirmed to Andrew Marr (tv pundit) that they are eyeing the NHS. Nigel Farage has had close talks with Trump on various occasions: a rabid wannabe NHS privatiser.

The biggest confirmation of all is yesterday's FINANCIAL TIMES front page (- this is what the ruling classes read and closer to the truth than the tabloids). It said Trump was looking to bring in US Pharma into the NHS.

Not selling off the NHS but setting up the same medical insurance schemes in the UK that run US healthcare. Even Obamacare is enough to bankrupt you should you need medical care and your health insurance doesn't cover you, together with all kinds of add-ons you have to pay yourself.

Standard of health care varies depending on what your employer's healthcare covers. Heaven help you if you are unemployed. A 26-year old in the US died recently because he couldn't afford the US$900 pcm for his diabetes insulin.

This is what Trump-Farage want to see in the UK. A vastly inequitable country with huge social distance, not even based on ability or meritocracy any more but more on how much money you can inherit or how much your parents can support you, even as an adult.
I don't think any of that is Trump's personal idea. He has no clue what the UK NHS is, its purpose, how it is structured, or how it works. Sounds much more like someone smart has concocted this notion. I'd say Bannon, but I'm not sure he's still with the Trump in-crowd just now. Anyone? But I can definitely see Trump being told that he can make personal gain out of it as a means of currying his favour for it though.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th June 2019, 10:44 PM   #232
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Another quirk of English - "public schools" in the UK are what we would call "private schools" in the U.S.

Also, why do I used periods with U.S. and not with UK?

Because if you used them with UK they would be full stops.
U.

K.

Like that?

Seems needlessly clumsy.

That's the British for you, I guess.
Old 6th June 2019, 02:03 AM   #233
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“The President has received glowing reviews from the British Media. Here at home, not so much. MSNBC Ramps up hateful coverage and promotes conspiracy theories during Trump’s trip to Europe.” @seanhannity

The good news is that @maddow is dying in the ratings, along with @CNN!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 02:27 AM   #234
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“The President has received glowing reviews from the British Media. Here at home, not so much. MSNBC Ramps up hateful coverage and promotes conspiracy theories during Trump’s trip to Europe.” @seanhannity

The good news is that @maddow is dying in the ratings, along with @CNN!
I suppose that there may have been some outlets which may have given President Trump some glowing reviews (or at least only mildly critical reviews) but the impression I got is that he managed to clear his own exceptionally low bar (in that the number of international incidents he started was small and they were minor) but he is still viewed as being an embarrassment to the US by the overwhelming majority of UKians.

Of course he's free to tweet what he did because the audience it's aimed at won't bother to check UK media coverage and will accept his statement at face value.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 02:47 AM   #235
Worm
Master Poster

Glowing reviews? Hardly. Overwhelmingly bland is probably closer to the mark.

He pretty much managed to get through the visit without saying or doing anything massively outrageous - then he mentioned the NHS in the context of trade negotiations and inserted his foot straight into his mouth. He has since walked back those comments, but it definitely took the shine off what was a fairly 'meh' visit.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 02:55 AM   #236
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I suppose that there may have been some outlets which may have given President Trump some glowing reviews (or at least only mildly critical reviews) but the impression I got is that he managed to clear his own exceptionally low bar (in that the number of international incidents he started was small and they were minor) but he is still viewed as being an embarrassment to the US by the overwhelming majority of UKians.

Of course he's free to tweet what he did because the audience it's aimed at won't bother to check UK media coverage and will accept his statement at face value.
"Donny managed to get through a whole dinner party without a tantrum, and he didn't pee in the closet or try to strangle the cat this time!"
Little Donnie: "glowing reviews!!!"
Old 6th June 2019, 04:12 AM   #237
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
"Donny managed to get through a whole dinner party without a tantrum, and he didn't pee in the closet or try to strangle the cat this time!"
Little Donnie: "glowing reviews!!!"
You've got to hand it to Trump. If he's good at anything, it's manipulating reality. He's the Sorcerer Supreme of dishonesty. The Truthbender. The Orange Wizard of middle-earth.

Old 6th June 2019, 04:27 AM   #238
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Why? Is she a minority?

Trump supporters in London?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 04:32 AM   #239
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Some people think it's supremely important to note and repeat every tweet he makes.

Well, he is the president of the USA, leader of the free world etc.

So, yeah, it probably is.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th June 2019, 04:34 AM   #240
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
U.

K.

Like that?

Seems needlessly clumsy.

That's the British for you, I guess.
That's an ellipsis.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics