ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th June 2019, 09:20 AM   #241
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I am really amazed at how much people are willing to stretch reality to try to fit their own misguided views.

Who said: "You are not going to be able, in the long run, to have cost-effective, universal health care unless you change the system, unless you get rid of the insurance companies"

Hint: His name rhymes with Sernie Banders.

Notice his words? He didn't say: "give people the option". He didn't say "make sure everyone is covered by either public or private". He specifically said "get rid of". GET RID OF.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...-be-eliminated
The BILL doesn't say that, though.

I'm a Warren fan, btw, and she was also a co-sponsor of the bill.
Old 12th June 2019, 09:36 AM   #242
lomiller
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
Yet it only works in small mono cultural countries. Even the UK's crown jewel--the NHS--kinda sucks compared to much smaller much less diverse countries. UK is ranked 109 most diverse countries. Smaller and less diverse countries like Sweden (128), Finland (142), Denmark (144), Norway (146), Netherlands (151) have much better welfare programs than those of the failing UK. Top 50 most diverse countries, those are what's called ****holes.
Cultural diversity is lower in these countries because they are less prone to racism which builds artificial walls between segments of their population. Without racist walls segregating the population into subgroups, culture within the country evolves homogeneously and the result is lower diversity and less conflict.

IOW all you are telling us is “interracial” conflict and mistrust which limits countries ability to function as one society is directly correlated to how racist a country is, which should not be a startling revelation.
Old 12th June 2019, 09:38 AM   #243
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
S Korea has single payer, and they have 3 times as many as Canada, too.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ts-by-country/
Except of course they don't have single payer.

From: http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/engli...al/825097.html
A recent study has found that 87% of South Korean households have various kinds of private insurance policies such as cancer insurance and accident insurance because of the National Health Insurance system’s low rate of coverage,

From: https://www.koreaexpose.com/mooncare...urance-reform/
On average, the South Korean healthcare system currently covers 62.6 percent of all necessary medical costs for individual patients, who pay for the remaining 37.4 percent themselves. ...A 2017 in-depth survey of 2,000 citizens by the NHIS found that respondents gave the current national healthcare system an average score of 71.8 out of 100, indicating a healthy degree of satisfaction. But interestingly, nearly 87 percent of the respondents also had private health insurance plans

If you have people with private insurance or are paying fees directly, then by definition you don't have 'single payer'.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 09:49 AM   #244
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

From: http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/engli...al/825097.html
A recent study has found that 87% of South Korean households have various kinds of private insurance policies such as cancer insurance and accident insurance because of the National Health Insurance system’s low rate of coverage,

From: https://www.koreaexpose.com/mooncare...urance-reform/
On average, the South Korean healthcare system currently covers 62.6 percent of all necessary medical costs for individual patients, who pay for the remaining 37.4 percent themselves. ...A 2017 in-depth survey of 2,000 citizens by the NHIS found that respondents gave the current national healthcare system an average score of 71.8 out of 100, indicating a healthy degree of satisfaction. But interestingly, nearly 87 percent of the respondents also had private health insurance plans

If you have people with private insurance or are paying fees directly, then by definition you don't have 'single payer'.
Yeah, it looks like they have a sliding scale system when it comes to premiums:

https://www.tforg.com/how-we-think/s...n-south-korea/
Quote:
Funding for the NHI
A nationally levied tax and a mandatory (and automatic) enrollment scheme with premium payments, are the principle funding mechanisms of the NHI. Premiums are income based, i.e. higher earners pay more. Only the poorest and other vulnerable groups are exempt and receive care free of charge.
So, the premiums function almost like a progressive tax.

Also:

Quote:
Private health insurance
Private health insurance serves to cover treatments that are not listed for reimbursement in the NHIP. Around 80% of the population has private insurance; private insurance covers 6% of the total healthcare costs.
Old 12th June 2019, 09:54 AM   #245
lomiller
Philosopher

Actually I wasn't thinking of the government signing off on procedures on an individual basis. My argument is that the government makes decisions that impact patients in a broad, overall way, that gives the patient absolutely no recourse.
Other than lack of demand (which should tell you something) there is nothing preventing the buying/selling of private insurance for drugs/treatments not covered under standard government plans. Having coverage that overlaps with the standardized coverage, however, creates a whole host of issues so it’s generally best not to allow it.
Old 12th June 2019, 09:55 AM   #246
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Cultural diversity is lower in these countries because they are less prone to racism which builds artificial walls between segments of their population.
The walls in the USA are built differently though.

The USA gained a large proportion of their minorities either by importing them as property or by conquering the territory the minorities were living in already.

It's going to make for a different dynamic, I think.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 09:57 AM   #247
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

I agree, but for whatever reason, it's called single payer by "everyone".

See:
https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10...haff.2008.0816

Quote:
This study presents data on health care spending in South Korea in the three decades since 1977, the year its national health insurance—enacted in 1963—was enforced. National health insurance in South Korea is currently a single-payer program (that is both publicly and privately financed) that pays for privately provided health care.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...1210991830030X
Quote:
However, South Korea, which has a typical single-payer scheme, has almost the highest growth rate in health expenditures among industrialized countries.
https://academic.oup.com/heapol/article/24/1/63/598886
Quote:
National health insurance in Korea used to have multiple insurance societies covering employees and the self-employed separately, although claim review and payment to health care providers were centralized, and statutory benefit packages were identical across schemes. In 2000, there was a major change in the structure of the health insurance programme, and all insurance societies were merged into one single payer.
ETA: something like that actually sounds perfect for the US. M4A with sliding scale premiums to pay for universal coverage.

Last edited by kellyb; 12th June 2019 at 09:59 AM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 10:02 AM   #248
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Re: South Korea...
Quote:
Yeah, it looks like they have a sliding scale system when it comes to premiums:
So, the premiums function almost like a progressive tax.
That has nothing to do with the private insurance people take out. Only how the government health care is funded.

Quote:
Also:
Private health insurance serves to cover treatments that are not listed for reimbursement in the NHIP. Around 80% of the population has private insurance; private insurance covers 6% of the total healthcare costs.
Which still qualifies it as "Not single payer".

Oh, and by the way... keep in mind that in the article you mentioned it states:
In recent years, the growing economy and increased consumer demand for higher quality healthcare has created a significant amount of financial pressures on the system resulting in a cumulative deficit in the system...

So, in short:
- Its not a single payer system
- The parts that are government-funded seem to be running out of money

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 10:05 AM   #249
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

That has nothing to do with the private insurance people take out. Only how the government health care is funded.

Which still qualifies it as "Not single payer".

Oh, and by the way... keep in mind that in the article you mentioned it states:
In recent years, the growing economy and increased consumer demand for higher quality healthcare has created a significant amount of financial pressures on the system resulting in a cumulative deficit in the system...

So, in short:
- Its not a single payer system
- The parts that are government-funded seem to be running out of money
Actual professional health care wonks call S Korean health care "single-payer."

At some point you're just using a private definition of the phrase unique to you.

eta:
Health care is getting more expensive everywhere, so your additional point is irrelevant.

Last edited by kellyb; 12th June 2019 at 10:07 AM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 10:14 AM   #250
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Actually I wasn't thinking of the government signing off on procedures on an individual basis. My argument is that the government makes decisions that impact patients in a broad, overall way, that gives the patient absolutely no recourse.
Other than lack of demand (which should tell you something) there is nothing preventing the buying/selling of private insurance for drugs/treatments not covered under standard government plans.
However, you cannot (for example) create a publicly funded MRI clinic or PET scanner (regardless of the demand for it), because MRI treatments ARE covered (although subject to a waiting list.)
Quote:
Having coverage that overlaps with the standardized coverage, however, creates a whole host of issues so it’s generally best not to allow it.
What, issues like getting faster treatment? Yeah, that's horrible. Of course, you've already established that living with horrible pain is nothing more than "an annoyance" and that having a condition that can lead to strokes can be safely ignored. So thanks for that. Without you, I would have thought those were things to be avoided.

Other countries manage to have private health care that overlaps the public system, and their health care costs are 1) pretty much in line with ours, and 2) generally rank better in terms of wait times and outcomes.

Doesn't really sound to me like the 'issues' are insurmountable if other counties can do it.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 12th June 2019, 10:19 AM   #251
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

However, you cannot (for example) create a publicly funded MRI clinic or PET scanner (regardless of the demand for it), because MRI treatments ARE covered (although subject to a waiting list.)
What's up with this?

https://www.bcliving.ca/mri-scans-wa...ate-mri-clinic
Quote:
Innes says he’s started to refer patients to the many private MRI scanning labs that have opened around the province. While this means a near-immediate appointment, it also means you have to shoulder the cost, and it’s no small amount; an MRI scan costs around $699 in Vancouver and about $875 in Victoria.

eta: http://www.canadadiagnostic.com/

Last edited by kellyb; 12th June 2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12th June 2019, 10:26 AM   #252
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
I am really amazed at how much people are willing to stretch reality to try to fit their own misguided views.

Who said: "You are not going to be able, in the long run, to have cost-effective, universal health care unless you change the system, unless you get rid of the insurance companies" Hint: His name rhymes with Sernie Banders.
The BILL doesn't say that, though.
You know who you remind me of?

I remember seeing a clip on a comedy show from a Trump supporter who lived on the U.S./Mexico border, and was going to lose his business because of Trump's wall. The interviewer reminds him: Trump said he was going to build a wall. Supporter claims "its just a metaphor".Interviewer: Here's Trump describing the wall. Supporter: Its just a figure of speech. They were SO determined to stick to supporting Trump regardless of whatever evidence was provided.

Only with you, its Sanders and 'single payer' health care.

Sanders: Private insurance should be eliminated
You: You will still be able to get private insurance
Sander's bill: You can't offer private insurance for things covered in the public system, and the public system will cover everything
You: You will still be able to get private insurance

You're really hanging on to your own little claims with every ounce of strength aren't you.

All sorts of experts point out that Sander's plan will eliminate private insurance for anything covered in the public plan.

As the washington post states:
...Section 107 looks like a loophole for single-payer supporters to claim that private insurance is not being eliminated, even as the main sponsor says he wants to put health insurance companies out of the business. There is virtually nothing left on the table but a few crumbs. Harris called it “supplemental insurance,” which sounds a lot like Medigap policies, but the reality is likely far different than that. Given the back-and-forth between Harris and Tapper, we can’t quite award Pinocchios. But her language is slippery. She could more forthrightly admit that the health plan she supports envisions virtually no role for the private insurance now used by nearly 220 million Americans.
(Note: this was a 'fact check' by the Washington post over an interview with Harris, who also supports Single payer.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 12th June 2019, 10:51 AM   #253
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

What's up with this?

https://www.bcliving.ca/mri-scans-wa...ate-mri-clinic

Innes says he’s started to refer patients to the many private MRI scanning labs that have opened around the province.
I have to admit, I wasn't aware that BC was offering private MRI service.

Let me see if I can address your confusion:

I have simplified my description of the Canadian health care system. Technically we do not have one health care system, we have 10 health care systems (one for each province), and a federal government that sets standards that each province has to follow, as well as provides partial funding (with the province paying for the rest out of its own tax base.)

This means that you can actually get variations in what is covered and how health care is run between different parts of the country. Sometimes the federal government will step in and say "No, you can't allow private fees for that", other times they will let it pass. But for argument's sake, its easier to just talk about "Canada's health care" rather than referring to individual provinces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_Health_Act

My province (Ontario) does not allow privately funded MRI clinics... However, the adjacent province (Quebec) DOES allow private clinics. But, there are also some services where everything is still government funded, in all provinces.

As I have stated, I was unaware that the province of BC started to allow private MRI clinics, but it may just be a temporary situation. It appears that they are only going to be allowed to operate temporarily.

From: https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...ars-wait-lists
Extra billing by doctors for medically necessary treatments is set to end Oct. 1 when the Medicare Protection Act comes into effect, with the notable exception of MRI imaging. Private clinics can continue to bill patients for those diagnostic services until April 1, 2019, to help clear lengthy wait lists for the procedure.

To add to the confusion: A few years ago, the government was sued over long wait times and its refusal to allow private insurance. The case made it to the supreme court, who agreed.... Access to wait lists is not the same as access to health care, and the government's refusal to allow private insurance was considered 'cruel/unfair' under the law. However, the ruling only applied to Quebec.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaoulli_v_Quebec_(AG)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 12th June 2019, 11:24 AM   #254
lomiller
Philosopher

However, you cannot (for example) create a publicly funded MRI clinic or PET scanner (regardless of the demand for it), because MRI treatments ARE covered (although subject to a
I don’t understand what are saying. Provinces can create a publicity funded MRI clinic any time they want and there are MRI services available both from private clinics and non-profit clinics as well.
What, issues like getting faster treatment?
The issues with private insurance overlapping with public insurance involves things like free riders, self selection and private insurance collecting premiums but then shifting costs back onto the public system when the customers start to cost money.

You see to be confusing insurance providers with multi-tiered care, which is in itself a complex issue. Paying for “faster service” may not change wait times at all, it may just be making someone else wait longer even if they have the greater need.
Old 12th June 2019, 11:56 AM   #255
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I don’t understand what are saying. Provinces can create a publicity funded MRI clinic any time they want...
Yes they can. But if its not the government's priority to create a new MRI clinic (or to open up more hospital space, or whatever) then people in that province are stuck with whatever the government has decided to fund.

If its not enough to cover the demand and you can't convince the MP that it should be priority? Too bad, so sad. You're screwed. Someone in the government made a decision, it wasn't you, but it affects your health.

And you can't decide "I'll build and license my own MRI machine for anyone who is in severe pain and is willing to pay an extra fee" because that would go against the rules.

Quote:
and there are MRI services available both from private clinics and non-profit clinics as well.
Even if they are private or non-profit clinics, fees are still paid for by the government (at least in most cases... yes there are exceptions, as another poster pointed out with B.C.) but those ARE exceptions. And if you can't charge extra (over above the fee schedule), you may not find it economical to open up a private clinic.

Quote:
Quote:
What, issues like getting faster treatment?
The issues with private insurance overlapping with public insurance involves things like free riders, self selection and private insurance collecting premiums but then shifting costs back onto the public system when the customers start to cost money.
Yet places like the U.K. generally score better than Canada in health care rankings, yet have roughly the same cost, and allow private insurance. Strange... how come all your 'issues' don't seem to be affecting them?

Quote:
You see to be confusing insurance providers with multi-tiered care, which is in itself a complex issue. Paying for “faster service” may not change wait times at all, it may just be making someone else wait longer even if they have the greater need.
Actually there are several benefits to multi-tiered care with regards to wait times:
- The extra money can help bring in additional resources into the system
- Unused capacity in the private system can sometimes be utilized by the public system, subject to availability
- It provides a clearer indication of priorities for the public and patients
- A private system can respond faster (compared to the government, were decisions often have to go through lengthy political debates, federal budgetary concerns, etc.)

In the last set of rankings by the Commonwealth fund (a group pushing for universal health care in the U.S.):
- the united states ranked last out of 11 (no big surprise there)
- Canada (with its single payer system) ranked 9th. And we also feel behind the U.S. in at least one measure
- The U.K. ranks #1
https://www.commonwealthfund.org/cha...mance-rankings

We are Groot - Groot
Old 12th June 2019, 12:08 PM   #256
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

We can now say skeptics are more delusional than young earth creationists. At least creationists don't understand what the world was like thousands years ago. Skeptics, on the other hand, don't understand the world how it exists now.
Old 12th June 2019, 03:08 PM   #257
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
It was not my intent to be offensive.
Yes it was.

Which I managed to do, whether you'll admit it or not.
No you didn't

Last edited by Baylor; 12th June 2019 at 03:13 PM.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 03:11 PM   #258
Baylor
Philosopher

That's literally what I said, yet you twist it into some odd comment about demographics of a TAM meeting.

Try staying on topic, bro.

Oh, and I'll add: The demographic make up of a TAM meeting is not under any individual attendee's control, so by what "logic" do you conclude this makes that attendee into "racist trash"?

Of course, you then deflect to how you're not offended by what I say....Not even bothering to try defend your indefensible position after I've pointed out how wrong you are, huh? LOL!
Posting style is nothing new we've seen this a million times. Just another boomer bitchfit.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 03:39 PM   #259
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Yes it was.

No you didn't
LOL! Believe whatever you want to believe.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 03:40 PM   #260
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Posting style is nothing new we've seen this a million times. Just another boomer bitchfit.
...and yet you still can't respond to what I've brought up. Deflection. Deflection. Deflection.

Oh, and I'm not a boomer. Yet another assumption you make and are wrong about.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 04:01 PM   #261
Baylor
Philosopher

LOL! Believe whatever you want to believe.
Very boomer of you.
Old 12th June 2019, 04:06 PM   #262
Lurch
Muse

Having gotten to know people of Europe through my time on the Internet, I can honestly say I'm very happy they're not breeding.
There's part of your problem. How does one get to "know" people through the internet? How do you know if you're not seeing mostly a particular subset of a society? Or not getting a slanted view through selective engagement?

Get out into the real world. Or at least expand your intellectual horizons. Don't be an isolationist shut-in, carrying on like the prototypical "ugly American" chanting, "America, ****** yeah!"
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 04:06 PM   #263
Baylor
Philosopher

Cultural diversity is lower in these countries because they are less prone to racism which builds artificial walls between segments of their population. Without racist walls segregating the population into subgroups, culture within the country evolves homogeneously and the result is lower diversity and less conflict.

IOW all you are telling us is “interracial” conflict and mistrust which limits countries ability to function as one society is directly correlated to how racist a country is, which should not be a startling revelation.
That was the genetic fractionalization index, not cultural diversity. And those countries have cultural walls too. No matter how much childless Europeans open their arms to immigrants, immigrants want nothing to do with childless Europeans.
Old 12th June 2019, 04:08 PM   #264
Baylor
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
There's part of your problem. How does one get to "know" people through the internet? How do you know if you're not seeing mostly a particular subset of a society? Or not getting a slanted view through selective engagement?

Get out into the real world. Or at least expand your intellectual horizons. Don't be an isolationist shut-in, carrying on like the prototypical "ugly American" chanting, "America, ****** yeah!"
Yet I haven't disclosed my other experiences, nor have I ever chanted what you're claiming I did.
Old 12th June 2019, 04:11 PM   #265
Baylor
Philosopher

Pointing out that your "logic" is faulty when you accuse those attending TAM as being "racist trash" is a bit more than "Internet acronyms".
!
They are racist trash because even in their free time they choose to be around other white people. 90's Internet acronyms or quotation marks don't disprove that.
Old 12th June 2019, 04:12 PM   #266
Baylor
Philosopher

Oh, and how could I ever forget the fact that I pointed out your ignorance when you told us how you judge an entire continent of people based on Internet interactions?

That was probably my favorite example of your inanity. LOL!
That really was not worth the edit.
Old 12th June 2019, 04:12 PM   #267
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Yet I haven't disclosed my other experiences, nor have I ever chanted what you're claiming I did.
Ah, but it's absolutely telling that this is the one you chose to share with and base your advertised conclusion on:

Having gotten to know people of Europe through my time on the Internet, I can honestly say I'm very happy they're not breeding.
Looks like you're beginning to regret posting something so stupid. Hee Hee!
Old 12th June 2019, 04:13 PM   #268
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

They are racist trash because even in their free time they choose to be around other white people. 90's Internet acronyms or quotation marks don't disprove that.
They "chose" who else will attend???

Fascinating. LOL!

Keep digging that hole, brother!
Old 12th June 2019, 04:13 PM   #269
Baylor
Philosopher

Ah, but it's absolutely telling that this is the one you chose to share with and base your advertised conclusion on:

Looks like you're beginning to regret posting something so stupid. Hee Hee!
Yawn
Old 12th June 2019, 04:14 PM   #270
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

That really was not worth the edit.
And yet you deemed it worthy of a response. Make up your mind.

An empty response, mind you. Maybe one day you'll begin an actual discussion of the topic. LOL!
Old 12th June 2019, 04:14 PM   #271
Baylor
Philosopher

They "chose" who else will attend???

Fascinating. LOL!

Keep digging that hole, brother!
They are white people choosing to be around other white people.
Old 12th June 2019, 04:17 PM   #272
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

They are white people choosing to be around other white people.
No, they are white people choosing to attend the TAM. Who else attends is not part of their choice.

Try thinking about this for a change. It's not difficult, I promise!
Old 12th June 2019, 04:18 PM   #273
Baylor
Philosopher

No, they are white people choosing to attend the TAM. Who else attends is not part of their choice.

Try thinking about this for a change. It's not difficult, I promise!
They are white people who want to be with other whites. That's racist trash.
Old 12th June 2019, 04:20 PM   #274
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Given the blinders you have on, I'm sure you've only seen what you wanted to see. Also, I'm sure the feeling is mutual. Please don't breed.
I just realized the upside of incels - they're going to have a hard time making white babies. Except there are apparently many Russian hotties anxious to meet them.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 04:22 PM   #275
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

They are white people who want to be with other whites. That's racist trash.
Oh, so you can't let go of your erroneous assumption (their desire to attend a meeting, which is completely independent of the ethnic diversity of others at the meeting), even when I point it out to you.

That's the very definition of being indoctrinated.

I wouldn't even bother responding to such ignorance were it not for the fact that I am both amused and fascinated by it.
Old 12th June 2019, 04:25 PM   #276
Baylor
Philosopher

Oh, so you can't let go of your erroneous assumption (their desire to attend a meeting, which is completely independent of the ethnic diversity of others at the meeting), even when I point it out to you.

That's the very definition of being indoctrinated.

I wouldn't even bother responding to such ignorance were it not for the fact that I am both amused and fascinated by it.
You can't grasp the fact that skeptic meetings are overwhelmingly white and that in itself is form of white supremacy.
Old 12th June 2019, 04:31 PM   #277
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

You can't grasp the fact that skeptic meetings are overwhelmingly white and that in itself is form of white supremacy.
Repeat it 50 more times and it will still be wrong. You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what racism and white supremacy even is:

Engineering a meeting so that it will be mostly white is racist.

Having a meeting that for various correlated reasons (of which I can merely speculate: Differing cultural interests and having the financial means to travel are two that occur immediately) winds up overwhelmingly white is......well, it's simply having a meeting. It's not racist.

Try reading a dictionary or something. That's all the help I have to offer you.
Old 12th June 2019, 04:32 PM   #278
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Oh, and I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that the meetings are overwhelmingly white.

It's your conclusion that's laughably wrong.

Just wanted to spell that out since you're having so much trouble with this.

Good Luck!
Old 12th June 2019, 04:34 PM   #279
Minoosh
Philosopher

Actual professional health care wonks call S Korean health care "single-payer."
I wonder if this is a confounding factor:

People have the wrong idea about the 3 most popular procedures in South Korea, the plastic surgery capital of the world

Technically, that's health care, so some of the private spending could be on uncovered procedures.

A friend of mine (American) was hospitalized in Korea for something (this would have been in the late '80s/early '90s) and they didn't provide food. Everyone supposedly made their own arrangements for meals. He would have had crappy insurance, if any, having been lured to teach English by an unscrupulous school.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 04:35 PM   #280
Baylor
Philosopher

Repeat it 50 more times and it will still be wrong. You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what racism and white supremacy even is:

Engineering a meeting so that it will be mostly white is racist.

Having a meeting that for various correlated reasons (of which I can merely speculate: Differing cultural interests and having the financial means to travel are two that occur immediately) winds up overwhelmingly white is......well, it's simply having a meeting. It's not racist.

Try reading a dictionary or something. That's all the help I have to offer you.
You are defending white supremacy. White people who choose to be around other white people is white supremacy. There are plenty of people of color who live around South Point. No white (supremacist) person reached out to them and offered them to attend to make the meeting more diverse. It's because skeptics prefer the meeting to be white.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics