ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags jon stewart

Old 12th June 2019, 05:28 AM   #41
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Next worst.
ssshhhh!
I'm trying to win over the MAGA crowd here...!
Old 12th June 2019, 09:45 AM   #42
rdaneel
Illuminator

Turns out Stewart did more more than just speak at the hearing. I doubt anyone will by surprised by this.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 10:22 AM   #43
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Jon Stewart is a hologram
Old 12th June 2019, 11:52 AM   #44
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
I don't think that the solution to our problems is turning politics over to celebrities.

On other hand, if we're going that way, Jon Stewart seems like an actually pretty reasonable choice.
What was Trump before he became President?
Old 12th June 2019, 01:25 PM   #45
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I would certainly back him over Oprah though!
Stewart is a decent critical thinker; Winfrey has been pushing charlatans and quackery for most of her career.

The whole "I don't think ____ has what it takes to be president" conversation is laughable now that we're approaching the midpoint of Trump's first (gag!) term.

Trump was not only completely unprepared for the responsibilities he now holds . . . 1) His experiences and motivations were actually antithetical to public service. He was worse than merely unprepared – he was openly hostile to the office. 2) He was also unworthy of the office by virtue of his crass, demeaning, criminal actions and statements.

Therefore, anyone equally unprepared as Trump was but 1) not by default anti-government, 2) uncompromised through criminal and other unsavory activities, 3) not interested in a race to the bottom in terms of our national discourse, 4) respectful of the sacrifices of others – including key foreign allies, 5) etc., would be an objectively better president than the wankstain in the Oval Office today.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:29 PM   #46
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Can't be any worse than Donald Trump.
Pretty much nothing is worse than The trumpf p.o.s.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:34 PM   #47
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Stewart is a decent critical thinker; Winfrey has been pushing charlatans and quackery for most of her career.

The whole "I don't think ____ has what it takes to be president" conversation is laughable now that we're approaching the midpoint of Trump's first (gag!) term.

Trump was not only completely unprepared for the responsibilities he now holds . . . 1) His experiences and motivations were actually antithetical to public service. He was worse than merely unprepared – he was openly hostile to the office. 2) He was also unworthy of the office by virtue of his crass, demeaning, criminal actions and statements.

Therefore, anyone equally unprepared as Trump was but 1) not by default anti-government, 2) uncompromised through criminal and other unsavory activities, 3) not interested in a race to the bottom in terms of our national discourse, 4) respectful of the sacrifices of others – including key foreign allies, 5) etc., would be an objectively better president than the wankstain in the Oval Office today.
As to your first line, putting Dr. Oz on as great and powerful * puts her out of the running for being a complete rectum.

* Of course I know what I did there - and well and truly known is the reality!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 01:38 PM   #48
fuelair
Banned

To be fair, a five day dead raccoon couldn't be worse than Donald Trump.
Oh now it is well known and unarguable that Trumpfs' foulness and stench is far worse than any five-day-dead animal.
Old 12th June 2019, 02:07 PM   #49
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Pretty much nothing is worse than The trumpf p.o.s.
A lot of things are worse than President Trump, actually.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 02:47 PM   #50
Faydra
sinning sybarite

I love Jon Stewart, but he's not going to change his pretty wonderful life to join in the hell that is American Politics on a full-time basis.

His life is mostly tending to animals at his wife's sanctuary. I wouldn't wish President on him.
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 06:34 PM   #51
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
What was Trump before he became President?
I probably worded my post poorly, but that was sort of my point. I think that continuing on the trend started by Trump is a bad idea.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2019, 07:21 PM   #52
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
As to your first line, putting Dr. Oz on as great and powerful * puts her out of the running for being a complete rectum.
Yup.

But seriously, any mildly cognizant human would do things like make sure our diplomatic positions are filled, trust the intelligence of our federal agencies over the rhetoric of foreign leaders, post cabinet members to positions for which they have some experience (other than trying to destroy the agency they would head), etc. Any president with a "do no harm" philosophy – regardless of their political leanings – would be a vast improvement over the current POTUS.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 01:05 AM   #53
Mumbles
Philosopher

Yes, that was quite a powerful speech, and I found it to be very moving and even a bit upsetting.

Here's the thing - this bill (which IIRC is an 80 year extension) going to pass regardless. He showed up at a subcomittee hearing as I recall, and an outright majority of members attended (yes, it should have ideally been all of them). The room seats 26 committee members, there are possibly 13 total subcommittee members, so the representative seating would have looked empty even if every member had attended.

Yes, Stewart did have to shame the House last time this came up, and yes he does care deeply for the first responders. So do I. But while it's good to make sure the House doesn't drop the ball, as they sometimes do, let's not assume they were just doing nothing until he showed up.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 02:09 AM   #54
jeremyp
Muse

I probably worded my post poorly, but that was sort of my point. I think that continuing on the trend started by Trump is a bad idea.
Wasn't it started by Ronald Reagan? I will concede, however, that he had a career in politics after being a film actor and before becoming president.

Also, not a presidential level, but Clint Eastwood and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The trend that actually worries me more is the trend in Republican presidents. It goes Reagan, Bush 41, Bush 43, Trump. Extrapolating, I think the next one probably will be a dead raccoon.
jeremyp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 02:15 AM   #55
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Giving a **** about any people in grave need (let alone those who gave so much for county) does seem to be an element lacking in our political leaders.
Old 13th June 2019, 02:16 AM   #56
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Yes, that was quite a powerful speech, and I found it to be very moving and even a bit upsetting.

Here's the thing - this bill (which IIRC is an 80 year extension) going to pass regardless. He showed up at a subcomittee hearing as I recall, and an outright majority of members attended (yes, it should have ideally been all of them). The room seats 26 committee members, there are possibly 13 total subcommittee members, so the representative seating would have looked empty even if every member had attended.

Yes, Stewart did have to shame the House last time this came up, and yes he does care deeply for the first responders. So do I. But while it's good to make sure the House doesn't drop the ball, as they sometimes do, let's not assume they were just doing nothing until he showed up.
What were they doing? What had they achieved? What is the time frame they are working to?
Old 13th June 2019, 02:17 AM   #57
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
Wasn't it started by Ronald Reagan? I will concede, however, that he had a career in politics after being a film actor and before becoming president.

The trend that actually worries me more is the trend in Republican presidents. It goes Reagan, Bush 41, Bush 43, Trump. Extrapolating, I think the next one probably will be a dead raccoon.
Why ?

After four increasingly poor Republican Presidents, do you think that the GOP will swing back to putting up a better, more suitable, candidate ?
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 02:51 AM   #58
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Sure, Trump wasn't the first. I just don't think that it's a good thing to emulate, and since Trump I've seen many people suggesting that looking for celebrities as leaders is a good idea. I don't think it is. That's about the limit of my point here.

Quote:
Was HW really worse than Reagan? In trying to find a trend is it really a good idea to limit yourself to the most recent 4 data points?

I am actually sympathetic to the idea that something negative has been happening to our political systems, but I think you need to make a better argument than this.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 06:03 AM   #59
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post

At the end of the day, I don't think that "better than Trump" is the bar that you want set for Presidents of the US going forwards.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 06:04 AM   #60
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Why ?

After four increasingly poor Republican Presidents, do you think that the GOP will swing back to putting up a better, more suitable, candidate ?
The sad thing is that they have had some good candidates in that time, such as McCain, it's just that the Democrats had better ones.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 06:25 AM   #61
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

At the end of the day, I don't think that "better than Trump" is the bar that you want set for Presidents of the US going forwards.
I'll take it if it's something I can get for sure.
Old 13th June 2019, 06:36 AM   #62
bobdroege7
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Why ?

If we have to have a Republican President, we need one that can out govern Nixon, not out crook him.

Graduate of a liberal arts college!

Faster play faster faster play faster
bobdroege7 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 07:07 AM   #63
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The sad thing is that they have had some good candidates in that time, such as McCain, it's just that the Democrats had better ones.
Originally Posted by bobdroege7 View Post
If we have to have a Republican President, we need one that can out govern Nixon, not out crook him.
I think I've said it here before. If you want to get elected as a Democrat, you need to be a charismatic "rock star" (like Bill or Obama)

I'm not sure what the qualification is for GOP candidates but using short words like George W Bush and Donald Trump probably isn't a bad start. GOP candidates who used long words like McCain and Romney weren't so successful.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 07:47 AM   #64
jeremyp
Muse

Sure, Trump wasn't the first. I just don't think that it's a good thing to emulate, and since Trump I've seen many people suggesting that looking for celebrities as leaders is a good idea. I don't think it is. That's about the limit of my point here.
I didn't mean to imply that I disagreed with your point.

Quote:
Was HW really worse than Reagan? In trying to find a trend is it really a good idea to limit yourself to the most recent 4 data points?
I was thinking about the general trend over the last 40 years. HW was a blip in the general trend.
Quote:
I am actually sympathetic to the idea that something negative has been happening to our political systems, but I think you need to make a better argument than this.
Why do I need to make a better argument? I'm not asking you to treat it as a serious thesis on the state of US politics. I thought the reference at the end to the dead raccoon made it reasonably obvious that I was being somewhat light hearted.
jeremyp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 10:26 AM   #65
The Shrike
Illuminator

I had a hard time grasping how stupid our people were to have elected W in 2000. Surely they weren't so stupid as to elect that fool again. Okay, but come on. Americans can't be so stupid to elect Donald friggin' Trump, right?

It's now 2019, and I have zero confidence in the American people to send that criminal packing in the 2020 election. On what could/should I possibly base *raising* the bar after such a sustained national effort to continually lower it?
Old 13th June 2019, 11:18 AM   #66
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
What were they doing? What had they achieved? What is the time frame they are working to?
They were holding a hearing on the proposal, it's still in the works, and it's passed the committee already and is expected to pass the House soon.

But the Senate? Would you like to guess who the single worst opponent of long-term funding is?

But regardless, Again I'm happy he did it, but the shame shouldn't be born by folks in the House.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2019, 01:26 PM   #67
dann
Philosopher

Any nicknames Trump could use for a dead raccoon running (or decomposing) for office?!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 01:07 PM   #68
fuelair
Banned

Would definitely do way less harm than trumpf.
Old 15th June 2019, 03:26 PM   #69
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

It's preferable to any lower bar.
Old 15th June 2019, 03:27 PM   #70
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
I guess that's true. Maybe he could run with a sensible VP choice, win in a landslide, then resign.
I think that anyone who wins the presidency is unlikely to step aside.

Schwarzenegger might be a good president, but he's ineligible.

I have wondered about George Clooney. Easy on the eyes for sure

McCain doomed himself to defeat by pushing comprehensive immigration reform. I think he might have known that. He wasn't willing to spout racist rhetoric, which is what some people on the right evidently want. Pandering to that crowd wasn't worth it to him, IMO.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2019, 11:16 PM   #71
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
<snip>

McCain doomed himself to defeat by pushing comprehensive immigration reform. I think he might have known that. He wasn't willing to spout racist rhetoric, which is what some people on the right evidently want. Pandering to that crowd wasn't worth it to him, IMO.
I think you're recalling a different GE than the one I remember from '04. McCain lost because he gave up his maverick status and got behind the bailout and was still a verbal supporter of the Bush/Cheney wars. Immigration was not a big issue in '04.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2019, 06:48 AM   #72
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I think you're recalling a different GE than the one I remember from '04. McCain lost because he gave up his maverick status and got behind the bailout and was still a verbal supporter of the Bush/Cheney wars. Immigration was not a big issue in '04.
McCain wasn't in that was he? Wikipedia implies Bush was nominated unopposed in 2004.
Old 16th June 2019, 08:09 AM   #73
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

McCain wasn't in that was he? Wikipedia implies Bush was nominated unopposed in 2004.
Duuuh! '08.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 01:37 AM   #74
Nova Land
/
Tagger

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Duuuh! '08.

John McCain took part in 2000, when he competed with George W. Bush for the Republican nomination and was soundly defeated. And he also played a significant part in the 2004 campaign, although not as a competing candidate.

Here's an excerpt from a 2008 article about McCain's 2000 defeat:

Originally Posted by Ann Banks in The Nation

Eight years ago this month, John McCain took the New Hampshire primary and was favored to win in South Carolina. Had he succeeded, he would likely have thwarted the presidential aspirations of George W. Bush and become the Republican nominee. But Bush strategist Karl Rove came to the rescue with a vicious smear tactic.

Rove invented a uniquely injurious fiction for his operatives to circulate via a phony poll. Voters were asked, "Would you be more or less likely to vote for John McCain…if you knew he had fathered an illegitimate black child?" This was no random slur. McCain was at the time campaigning with his dark-skinned daughter, Bridget, adopted from Bangladesh.

It worked. Owing largely to the Rove-orchestrated whispering campaign, Bush prevailed in South Carolina and secured the Republican nomination. The rest is history–specifically the tragic and blighted history of our young century. It worked in another way as well. Too shaken to defend himself, McCain emerged from the bruising episode less maverick reformer and more Manchurian candidate.

The former crusader against the Republican establishment has since turned into a Bush-hugging, business-as-usual politician...

And here's an excerpt from a 2004 article about John McCain's role in that election:

Originally Posted by Richard Gooding in Vanity Fair

One day he was being courted as John Kerry’s running mate; another day he was rumored to be replacing Dick Cheney on the Bush ticket. On many days he was defending his Democratic friend against the attacks of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth; at the same time, he was campaigning side by side with his newer friend, the president, once even hugging him and getting a kiss on the forehead in return. Both candidates have used his image to their advantage in their TV ads.

And with nearly every report about Senator John McCain and the unprecedented tightrope he’s navigated, there’s been a reference to the ugliness of four years ago—the South Carolina Republican primary of 2000, the do-or-die battle of George W. Bush’s political life to that point.

McCain says “it’s over,” he’s buried the hatchet, it’s no longer worth revisiting. But the evidence of this political year says otherwise: the ghosts of South Carolina—the power of going negative and the quandary of how to respond to it; the role of consultants and of surrogate groups; the question of a candidate’s responsibility—just won’t go away...

While there are many reasons why McCain lost the general election in 2008, I think the events of 2000 and 2004 should be taken into account as part of the picture.
Nova Land is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 09:36 AM   #75
plague311
Great minds think...

They were holding a hearing on the proposal, it's still in the works, and it's passed the committee already and is expected to pass the House soon.

But the Senate? Would you like to guess who the single worst opponent of long-term funding is?

But regardless, Again I'm happy he did it, but the shame shouldn't be born by folks in the House.
I would hazard a guess that Stewart made his stance at this point BECAUSE of the Senate being the next step. Hence why he's gone after McConnell so hard, because he's seen them drag their feet every time this has come up. He even says as much in the video.

He wasn't shaming people of the house that showed up, he was shaming the hypocritical ******** that perpetually said, "Never forget the first responders" ad nauseum after 9/11 happened. Those same people who now, apparently, forgot to show up to a committee dedicated to the first responders. Even IF they weren't "required" to be there, showing up proves you actually care and want to hear their story.

Stewart even refers to one of the congressman who said, "We have a lot of things going on up here." Does that sound like they are giving it their upmost effort? No. Hell no. After experiencing what he has the previous 2 times this has come up for renewal, I'd say that he's well founded in his assumption that congress will continue to dick around.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 03:41 PM   #76
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
It's preferable to any lower bar.
It's possible to get lower?

But seriously. The bar needs to be set higher than "Better then Trump" because the Trump bar is so low that it leaves a lot of room between terrible and average that is still above his set bar. Presidents need to be be better than an average politician to make the county work well, so there needs to be a higher standard below which a candidate is just unacceptable to voters.

Old 17th June 2019, 04:53 PM   #77
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

McConnell seems to be setting up for blocking this vote by whining about Stewart’s emotional plea:

https://news.yahoo.com/mc-connell-on...152309818.html

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 06:53 PM   #78
rdaneel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
McConnell seems to be setting up for blocking this vote by whining about Stewart’s emotional plea:

https://news.yahoo.com/mc-connell-on...152309818.html
And here is Stewart's response.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2019, 07:32 PM   #79
The Shrike
Illuminator

But seriously. The bar needs to be set higher than "Better then Trump" because the Trump bar is so low that it leaves a lot of room between terrible and average that is still above his set bar.
Which is why it's a good thing we've got 20-something Democrats + Bernie running and every one of them is a bar far-higher. At this point, however, I have very little confidence that enough of my fellow Americans care/are smart enough to elect any of them.
Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM   #80
Mumbles
Philosopher

...and now y'all know the answer. Good on Stewart for calling him out directly.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics