IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th January 2021, 05:06 AM   #41
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
The robots are definitely dancing. It is undoubtedly a pre-determined routine, as are many human dances. What they probably are not doing is using external audio as a cue for the timing. But then, why would they? Robots can keep time perfectly internally. Humans aren't very good at that, that's part of why we mostly dance to the music.

An awful lot of humans attempt to but also aren't very good at dancing to the music. In these pandemic times, I might describe it as dancing with the music. Some men listen to the music for the first ten seconds or so, then try to internalize it, for the rest of the song, they follow their own inner rhythm instead of the actual music. I have watched in fascination when they lag more and more behind, sometimes for a hundred beats or so, until the music catches up with them again, a feat that would actually be very difficult to achieve on purpose.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 06:47 AM   #42
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
An awful lot of humans attempt to but also aren't very good at dancing to the music.
True enough. The point is still that if you've got a perfect internal timer, you don't need to follow external audio clues for pre-recorded music where you already know the timing.

Adding in the ability to slow down or speed up the dance to match changes in music tempo would be challenging and cool, but that's not really the point of this demonstration.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 07:40 AM   #43
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
Does anyone really think this is robots autonomously listening and interpreting music on the fly and dancing?
Of course not. But when you watch a music video with human dancers, that's all choreographed and practiced in advance.

When you watch a ballet, they certainly aren't making that up on the fly. It's all predetermined and practiced over and over in advance until the movements are perfected. Isn't that what dance is?
Old 4th January 2021, 08:21 AM   #44
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Robots fight back. https://youtu.be/dKjCWfuvYxQ
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 10:20 AM   #45
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Robots fight back. https://youtu.be/dKjCWfuvYxQ
In case people don't know, this isn't actually a robot. A human actor was motion captured and replaced with a CGI robot afterwards.

In terms of robots fighting back, I like this one:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The video is actual Boston Dynamics footage, but with redone audio to make it slightly horrifying.

"ENOUGH, DAN, FATHER OF SALLY AND JOHNATHAN."
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 03:44 PM   #46
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
In case people don't know, this isn't actually a robot. A human actor was motion captured and replaced with a CGI robot afterwards.

In terms of robots fighting back, I like this one:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The video is actual Boston Dynamics footage, but with redone audio to make it slightly horrifying.

"ENOUGH, DAN, FATHER OF SALLY AND JOHNATHAN."
I must admit not being to up to date with what BD can accomplish with their robots I was fooled though I did notice some decidedly unexpected human like moves not withstanding the two kicks near the end.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 04:04 PM   #47
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Both those humanoid robots should be named Gene.

(anyone not getting that reference should get the Gong!)
Old 4th January 2021, 04:11 PM   #48
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

I must admit not being to up to date with what BD can accomplish with their robots I was fooled though I did notice some decidedly unexpected human like moves not withstanding the two kicks near the end.
The video is real. Only the audio was added. The original Boston Dynamics video is below.

I AGREE
Old 5th January 2021, 03:49 AM   #49
dann
Penultimate Amazing

When they almost stumble, that's when they look most human.
Having them walk around in the snow looks like a scene in Tales from the Loop:
I AGREE

The indoor scene the the boxes reminds me more of Lucy and Charlie Brown.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 04:14 AM   #50
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Of course not. But when you watch a music video with human dancers, that's all choreographed and practiced in advance.

When you watch a ballet, they certainly aren't making that up on the fly. It's all predetermined and practiced over and over in advance until the movements are perfected. Isn't that what dance is?

No, not quite. Their steps and movements may be choreographed, but they still have to follow the rhythm. If the music is not pre-recorded, the orchestra may change the speed slightly. There is also improvisational dancing. And in ordinary partner dances, the woman (usually) has to follow the man who's leading, while also keeping steps in sync with the rhythm of the music.

Over the years, I have watched many women being led by men who were out of sync with the music. They are often very good at hiding how frustrating the experience is.
Old 5th January 2021, 04:39 AM   #51
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Is there any work or partnership with researchers into robotic limbs for disabled folk? Thinking about robotic legs that could be directionally controlled by someone wearing them?
Old 5th January 2021, 05:52 AM   #52
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
The video is real. Only the audio was added. The original Boston Dynamics video is below.

I AGREE
The video link I posted was a cgi. This is how it was done. https://youtu.be/gCuG-KJacp8
Old 5th January 2021, 07:54 PM   #53
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

The video link I posted was a cgi. This is how it was done. https://youtu.be/gCuG-KJacp8
Mea culpa. I lost track of which video was being discussed.
Old 7th January 2021, 06:54 AM   #54
Steve001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Mea culpa. I lost track of which video was being discussed.
Who doesn't? ☺
Old 13th January 2021, 08:27 PM   #55
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Is there any work or partnership with researchers into robotic limbs for disabled folk? Thinking about robotic legs that could be directionally controlled by someone wearing them?
Yes. There are several labs working on prosthetic technology. I don't know whether Boston Dynamics is involved, but I've seen some pretty amazing stuff.
Old 14th January 2021, 12:53 AM   #56
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Yes. There are several labs working on prosthetic technology. I don't know whether Boston Dynamics is involved, but I've seen some pretty amazing stuff.
Yeah, I don't know about BD involvement but advanced prosthetics is a major investmentment dev field.
The trick (for investors) is picking the likely breakthrough artists. I expect attention to landmines over the decades (and Princess Di) pushed dev investment.
We're a long way from AI/neural/brain prosthetics, but MILLIONS of folks would be grateful for each incremental advance.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 09:05 AM   #57
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

She is the dancing queen, young and sweet, an AI machine.
Dancing queen, see her shake to a subroutine...
Old 14th January 2021, 06:20 PM   #58
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

This is Adam Savage again, but they break down how the dance moves work. This video dropped just yesterday.

I AGREE

Coordinating the dance moves to music would have been a masterpiece of timing - the moves don't necessarily end exactly when you want them to - they'd have to be tweaked endlessly. Genius.

I presume Atlas has a similar programming interface.
Old 15th November 2021, 02:49 PM   #59
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Oh my god! They're at it again!

They must be stopped immediately!

I mean, who's next? First robots replace all those assembly line autoworkers, now they're going to start replacing geriatric rock stars.

I AGREE

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2021, 03:35 PM   #60
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I'm fascinated by how willing I am to 'see' the manipulator and arm as a 'head' and 'neck'.

I've considered buying a robot, like spot, just for the intellectual exercise of programming it to perform household tasks, but so far, they've all been far too expensive.
Old 21st November 2021, 07:19 PM   #61
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I'm fascinated by how willing I am to 'see' the manipulator and arm as a 'head' and 'neck'.

I've considered buying a robot, like spot, just for the intellectual exercise of programming it to perform household tasks, but so far, they've all been far too expensive.
Spot is a machine that is designed specifically for industrial use. There are much cheaper programmable robots. Check out the LEGO« MINDSTORMS« range (not a paid endorsement).
Old 24th November 2021, 10:51 PM   #62
rdaneel
Illuminator

I think this video is even more impressive.

I AGREE
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 10:32 AM   #63
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post

They need to do a version with two manipulator arms and just one back leg!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierson%27s_Puppeteers

ETA: And I see I already posted this almost a year ago!

Last edited by Trebuchet; 25th November 2021 at 10:34 AM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology