IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th November 2021, 12:01 AM   #1
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

NASA's "Dart" mission to intercept and divert an asteroid

Pretty cool mission to intercept and alter the orbit of an asteroid, just successfully launched yesterday. This is a concept that I've been a fan of for a long time, while the chances of an impact are very low, it seems worthwhile to at least test out the technology and better understand the best ways to go about deflecting an asteroid before we're in a situation when time matters.

https://www.nasa.gov/planetarydefense/dart
Quote:
DART is a planetary defense-driven test of technologies for preventing an impact of Earth by a hazardous asteroid. DART will be the first demonstration of the kinetic impactor technique to change the motion of an asteroid in space. The DART mission is led by APL and managed under NASA’s Solar System Exploration Program at Marshall Space Flight Center for NASA’s Planetary Defense Coordination Office and the Science Mission Directorate’s Planetary Science Division at NASA Headquarters in Washington, DC.

DART is a spacecraft designed to impact an asteroid as a test of technology. DART’s target asteroid is NOT a threat to Earth. This asteroid system is a perfect testing ground to see if intentionally crashing a spacecraft into an asteroid is an effective way to change its course, should an Earth-threatening asteroid be discovered in the future. While no known asteroid larger than 140 meters in size has a significant chance to hit Earth for the next 100 years, only about 40 percent of those asteroids have been found as of October 2021.
Quote:
The DART spacecraft will achieve the kinetic impact deflection by deliberately crashing itself into the moonlet at a speed of approximately 6.6 km/s, with the aid of an onboard camera (named DRACO) and sophisticated autonomous navigation software. The collision will change the speed of the moonlet in its orbit around the main body by a fraction of one percent, but this will change the orbital period of the moonlet by several minutes - enough to be observed and measured using telescopes on Earth.
This is actually a pretty good twitter thread on the subject:
https://twitter.com/DrPhiltill/statu...61046615392259
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 12:15 AM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Clearly a cover for the interstellar war we are engaged in.
Where can I fit this on my Q Board?
Old 25th November 2021, 12:33 AM   #3
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I don't think the chances of an impact are low. We're pretty good at hitting what we're aiming for.

And by "we" of course I mean very smart rocket scientists.
Old 25th November 2021, 12:53 AM   #4
Planigale
Philosopher

Is it a coincidence they (the US government) launch a space weapon at the same time as they start an enquiry into UFOs? Particularly as they intend to "mitigate any associated threats".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59405585
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-59327293

Or is this just a power play by the Space Force?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io6Mqho-asM

Is this why NASA intends to build a moon base?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glR35ifbwQ4
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 01:14 AM   #5
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Project Bluebeam has begun. Bow before your technological Overlords, puny mortals.

http://mythdetector.ge/en/myth/where...racy-originate
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 02:17 AM   #6
wea
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
... while the chances of an impact are very low...[/url]
Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I don't think the chances of an impact are low. We're pretty good at hitting what we're aiming for.

I think Roboramma refers to impacts of (large) asteroids with earth, not rocket to target?
wea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 04:00 AM   #7
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Pretty cool mission to intercept and alter the orbit of an asteroid, just successfully launched yesterday. This is a concept that I've been a fan of for a long time, while the chances of an impact are very low, it seems worthwhile to at least test out the technology and better understand the best ways to go about deflecting an asteroid before we're in a situation when time matters.
Nonetheless, things that have very low chances of happening, do, in fact, sometimes happen, and it would only take one sufficiently large asteroid to end us.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, bigots and homophobes to describe people who have a properly functioning moral compass!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 04:37 AM   #8
wobs
Master Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Nonetheless, things that have very low chances of happening, do, in fact, sometimes happen, and it would only take one sufficiently large asteroid to end us.
As Pratchett once said: Million to one chances happen nine times out of ten.
Old 25th November 2021, 06:17 AM   #9
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post

Haha, yes, I think you're right that the chances of hitting the asteroid are very high.

I'm hoping it was clear that I meant that the chances of a dangerously large asteroid impacting the earth are low, but I guess I'll ruin what is probably your joke by pointing this out.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 06:18 AM   #10
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Yep, which is one reason that I'm definitely a fan of this mission.
Isaac Asimov
Old 25th November 2021, 01:11 PM   #11
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Yep, which is one reason that I'm definitely a fan of this mission.
As am I, but one of the the things that really annoys about the media is they way they portray an extinction-level asteroid impact...

THIS isn't even remotely true. Asteroids of this sort of size are all well documented and their orbits are well known. If one this size was coming to get us, we would know about it decades, perhaps centuries in advance*. In all probability, this size of asteroid hasn't impacted the earth sice the formation of the solar system.

THESE are the ones that represent the danger to us... can you see it?

How about now? Can you see it yet?

OK, you should be able to see it now, just to the right above centre of the image.

This is, approximately to scale, the size of the asteroid that formed the Chicxulub crater and wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million years ago. It may seem small by comparison to the earth but it is the mass combined with the sheer velocity that causes the huge energy release, and resulting in an extinction-level event. Scientists have calculated that the dinosaur killer was about 10km wide and hit the earth at about 30km/sec.

This range of sized asteroids that represent the greatest danger to us. There are also much smaller , more frequent ones that might not be extinction-level impacts but we still need to we need to be worried about them because they would cause huge amounts of damage, death and destruction. Even the much smaller Tunguska type event impacting a city like New York or London would wipe it off the map and kill millions of people. Impacting the ocean could potentially be even worse for coastal inhabitants.

It is these type of asteroids we need to be to be able to detect and deflect.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
"Woke" is a pejorative term used by racists, bigots and homophobes to describe people who have a properly functioning moral compass!

Last edited by smartcooky; 25th November 2021 at 01:13 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2021, 06:29 PM   #12
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Haha, yes, I think you're right that the chances of hitting the asteroid are very high.

I'm hoping it was clear that I meant that the chances of a dangerously large asteroid impacting the earth are low, but I guess I'll ruin what is probably your joke by pointing this out.
Yes, it's clear now that that's what you were referring to.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology