IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Are you willing to work for free if the goods and services are free?
Yes 23 31.51%
No 35 47.95%
I don't know 15 20.55%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th November 2021, 01:41 PM   #3801
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Oh certainly,ease and over perception is what got people hooked in the first place. However, were anyone actually prescribed an overdose amount that would have been prosecutable.

While the manufacturers bare a lot of the responsibility by pushing Oxycontin as safe. Then the doctors who should have known no opioid is (even semi-synthetic) entirely safe and didn't allow patients to make an informed choice. After that the street dealers feeding the frenzy and even throwing some fentanyl into the mix. Finally the patient, probably with the least direct knowledge of the pharmacology and dosing but with the most direct impact of action.
It's my understanding that there were a fair number of doctors who made a business of unnecessary prescriptions. Perhaps not overdose amounts, but scandalous over-prescribing nonetheless. There have also been reports of clinics that diverted prescription meds to the street. I can't remember what locations now, but I seem to read that there were ridiculously disproportionate prescriptions made in some specific places, quite obviously not legit. But at least some of what we know, though, is precisely because their illegal activity was caught. Reports of doctors selling prescriptions, and the like. But this is a minority of doctors, and terrible as the whole affair is, it is not about the validity of medicine or the proper practice of it, any more than the presence of rapists among the population makes all men rapists.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)

Last edited by bruto; 28th November 2021 at 01:55 PM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2021, 02:07 PM   #3802
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
It's my understanding that there were a fair number of doctors who made a business of unnecessary prescriptions. Perhaps not overdose amounts, but scandalous over-prescribing nonetheless.
Yep, my understanding as well, both the easy with which prescribing them and the over-prescribing, as I mentioned.

In some cases even helping the illicit resale of the extraneous amounts.

While addiction crisis raged, many surgeons overprescribed opioids, analysis shows

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance