IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM   #3121
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
. Thermal out.
Buh-bye. We'll miss your great arguments....

BTW, if you don't leave the thread, does that mean you didn't have the credible ability to leave the thread?
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM   #3122
carlitos
"más divertido"

My bad. Responding to 6 or 8 people mindlessly repeating virtually the same thing causing confusion on my end.

Oddly, the same response applies. Show, specifically, where the Trumpster moved to do anything illegal. Discussing **** is spitballing. I want the credible quote that a coup attempt was on the hoof. Not some writer's impression. The actual words, like...you know...a skeptic would require.

I get that this is /pol and conscious thought is suspended, but give it a whirl.
I see that Thermal is "out" so I won't bother doing any work on this. But seriously, how willfully blind would you have to be to be unaware of Donald J Trump doing illegal things while president? It's mind-boggling.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM   #3123
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Don't worry we never get only one flounce.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM   #3124
dirtywick
Illuminator

I think Trump took a pretty similar oath for what an oath is worth
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM   #3125
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I see that Thermal is "out" so I won't bother doing any work on this.
Well isn't that convenient for you? "Gee, after repeatedly ducking , now it's only because he's gone that I just won't bother."

Nut up or shut up.

Quote:
But seriously, how willfully blind would you have to be to be unaware of Donald J Trump doing illegal things while president? It's mind-boggling.
The cheapest of cop-outs, right there. The context is doing illegal things to attempt a coup, specifically when talking to the Louis.

That's the evidence being asked for. That's what you and yours keep slinking away from providing, because it doesn't exist.

Seriously, what is wrong with you people? Trump is like the worst thing to happen on our political stage in like forever. At the forefront, he is a sniveling coward in every way. Why to you feel so moved to give him the clout of saying he had the political balls to pull off a coup? He didn't even have the balls to show up at his rightful successors inauguration. He's an utter piece of ****, but you just have to paint him as a formidable foe.

But I digress. Nut up or shut up. Show the illegal orders/requests/begging/whatever to do something illegal regarding a coup/attempt with the hotel boys. The floor is yours. Do it for posterity. Think of the children

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM   #3126
carlitos
"más divertido"

Hard pass.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM   #3127
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Shocking.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM   #3128
carlitos
"más divertido"

I made half a dozen posts, a couple that were addressing you specifically, and now you're acting like a jagoff about me "repeatedly ducking" something. Enjoy the conversation with the voices in your head.
Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM   #3129
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Seriously dude? You made 13, nine of which were directly to me or quoted me/called me out by name.

Third time, just on this question alone: can you show, as you claim, that Trump was conferring with his boys to do something illegal to attempt a coup?

I'm not trying to bust your chops, man. This is a simple matter of using the right terminology, that we should all be supportive of.

Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM   #3130
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

You never left, Thermal, is that because you didn't have a credible ability to leave?
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM   #3131
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
You never left, Thermal, is that because you didn't have a credible ability to leave?
Yeah, I get that. Got a bad hang-up with responding to posts to or about me. If you didn't love it with all your heart, you wouldn't keep trying to bait me back in. You're welcome.

Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM   #3132
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Show, specifically, where the Trumpster moved to do anything illegal.
Inciting the insurrectionists was illegal. Threatening Raffensperger was illegal.

Quote:
Discussing **** is spitballing. I want the credible quote that a coup attempt was on the hoof. Not some writer's impression. The actual words, like...you know...a skeptic would require.
What Trump said to the mob and what he said to Raffersperger are known to all of us, I suspect. I don't think you or anyone else needs these quotes.
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM   #3133
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Mark Meadows is about to already getting the full scale two minute hate from the Trumpers.
Going to be interesting to see what he had to say. I admit his turning Joe Valachi/Sonny The BUll Gravino is something I did not see coming.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM   #3134
Lurch
Graduate Poster

No. IIRC, the military is sworn to uphold the Constitution and obligated to refute orders that undermine it.

See, the military or similar force is key. If factions of the military backed Trump et als bleating, that would be very different. I have no reason to think the military would act on domestic citizens on the order of an outgoing lame duck. In fact, I'd be confident that Congress would have one of those emergency incompetence vote thingys and stop it cold.

To attempt a credible coup, you need leverage. Normally, it is the guys with significant firepower, although it can happen via other leverage. I don't see Trump et al having any means to accomplish any of this.
You are a victim of, or studiously work to project, the "It can't happen here" mindset. And so that causes/forces you to minimize and trivialize the actual attempts to make it 'happen here'.

Your Herculean efforts at either self-delusion or gaslighting are a marvel to behold.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM   #3135
dirtywick
Illuminator

Jan 6 transcript

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/10/96639...eachment-trial

Raff call transcript

https://illinoisnewsroom.org/transcr...tary-of-state/

After reading them to me it’s pretty clear after an hours worth of justification for why he wants the crowd to make sure the election isn’t certified and the call was to flip Georgia to Trump or else. But I’d be curious to know what you think that speech and this call were about if you get something else out of that
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM   #3136
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
You are a victim of, or studiously work to project, the "It can't happen here" mindset.
The “military” is sworn to uphold the constitution, and instructed not to obey illegal orders.

But the “military” is comprised of all sorts of people. Some of whom could be expected to support and/or participate in a coup. Mike Flynn was a former General, for cryin’ out loud!
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM   #3137
ZiprHead
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
The “military” is sworn to uphold the constitution, and instructed not to obey illegal orders.

But the “military” is comprised of all sorts of people. Some of whom could be expected to support and/or participate in a coup. Mike Flynn was a former General, for cryin’ out loud!
Not to mention the president is also sworn to uphold the constitution and not implement illegal orders.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM   #3138
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
They had been falsely lead to believe that Trump had a secret deal with the United States Military, and they believed that.
They expected Trump to declare Marshall Law, and take control of Congress, that's what they were lead to believe would happen.
The Oath Keepers, Better Known as Ron Paul's Waco Whackos, or the morons of MySpace, were trying to plot a coup in 2008 against Obama.
However when the were told it would fail because the Military wouldn't support it they backed down, and began backtracking and deleting their posts on the Republican Libertarian forum of Ron Paul Supporters.
That's intriguing. I happened to be talking to one of those kind of whackos right around then, and she did hint at something brewing she couldn't talk about. I thought it was just bravado.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM   #3139
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
You are just being willfully blind at this point.
Yep. Some people would rather keep digging the hole deeper than admit they're wrong. Fragile egos.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:12 AM   #3140
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Bad news:
Quote:
Democrats are being encircled by a radicalized Republican Party increasingly committed to fascism. Instead of organizing their forces and launching a coordinated counterattack, the Democrats are fighting many battles at once — and losing most of them.

Donald Trump and his followers launched a coup against American democracy and the rule of law on Jan. 6. It may have slowed or stalled after the assault on the Capitol, but it definitely has not ended. Trump, the planners of the attack and their other high-level allies and collaborators have not been punished or in any way held accountable. This outcome almost guarantees that the Republican-fascist movement will attempt another coup the next time it loses a national election.

Fascist militias and other right-wing paramilitaries are growing in strength and numbers. Domestic terrorism experts are warning that the U.S. may experience a prolonged violent right-wing insurgency. Some observers have suggested that such right-wing extremist violence could even escalate into a second American civil war.
https://www.salon.com/2021/11/30/rit...ert-interview/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:13 AM   #3141
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Oh, stop being so dramatic!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:31 AM   #3142
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Oh, stop being so dramatic!
It is ridiculously dramatic, you have to admit. I'd be more concerned about the next social justice mob torching my local Dollar General than a massive right-wing insurgency and ensuing Civil War.
Old Today, 01:35 AM   #3143
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

if you want to have a Democracy, it's important that ideological violence is balanced.
And that means fight right-wing terrorism on all levels and/or stepping off the neck of anything looks vaguely like social and community organizing and unionising.

The reason why so many Republicans support Trump is because they literally fear for their lives if they don't - as Pence and so many others have experienced first hand.

And Democrat Progressives such as the Squad are under constant threat of violence.

Looks like we desperately need some rebalancing here if we want politicians not to cave in to threats of violence all the time (the NRA business model).

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; Today at 01:37 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:45 AM   #3144
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The reason why so many Republicans support Trump is because they literally fear for their lives if they don't
This has to be one of the most ridiculous statements ever. I don't know how you can type that without laughing.
Old Today, 01:54 AM   #3145
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
This has to be one of the most ridiculous statements ever. I don't know how you can type that without laughing.

Republicans themselves have expressed precisely that thought.
Quote:
Republican Congressman Peter Meijer from Michigan was one of only nine freshmen GOP lawmakers who voted to uphold the Nov. 3 election results. He told CNBC’s “The News with Shepard Smith” that his life could now be at risk because of it.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/11/peop...nst-trump.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:01 AM   #3146
Warp12
Illuminator

The reason why so many Republicans support Trump is because they literally fear for their lives if they don't
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Republicans themselves have expressed precisely that thought.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/11/peop...nst-trump.html
You have a very liberal interpretation of what "so many Republicans" means. Does this include just a small theoretical number of politicians, or the vast number of say, 70+ million people that voted for Trump?

Rather than fearing for their lives, I suspect the politicians are doing what they feel puts them in favor with their constituency. Like most politicians do.

Last edited by Warp12; Today at 02:14 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:49 AM   #3147
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

You have a very liberal interpretation of what "so many Republicans" means. Does this include just a small theoretical number of politicians, or the vast number of say, 70+ million people that voted for Trump?

Rather than fearing for their lives, I suspect the politicians are doing what they feel puts them in favor with their constituency. Like most politicians do.
"Hang Mike Pence!" rings a bell?
What do you think would have happened if the Jan6 mob had caught a Representative, as they almost did?
Old Today, 03:06 AM   #3148
Warp12
Illuminator

"Hang Mike Pence!" rings a bell?
What do you think would have happened if the Jan6 mob had caught a Representative, as they almost did?
You said the reason that "so many Republicans" support Trump now is that they fear for their lives. You haven't provided any evidence to support that. It is pure fantasy.
Old Today, 03:49 AM   #3149
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I have. So have others.

You just refuse to listen, because it goes against your worldview.

Does this trigger you?
Old Today, 04:00 AM   #3150
Warp12
Illuminator

I have. So have others.

You just refuse to listen, because it goes against your worldview.

Does this trigger you?
Yes. It triggers me to laugh at the stupidity of your argument.

Last edited by Warp12; Today at 04:02 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:06 AM   #3151
Parsman
Muse

You said the reason that "so many Republicans" support Trump now is that they fear for their lives. You haven't provided any evidence to support that. It is pure fantasy.
It isn't just their lives they fear for. It is their privileged and entitled way of life they fear for. They see a huge demographic and social change coming to the country. They worry this incoming tide will sweep them away. So they try anything that may halt or turn back these changes. Once this resistance would have been through democracy, the ballot box and the legal system. Now increasingly it is being done with violence, the threat of violence, gerrymandering and exploiting weaknesses in the legislative systems to introduce laws restricting people's ability to effect change in the system. Old rich white men, possibly like yourself only richer as they always are, exploit these fears and it is as much that as fear of physical harm or death that is at work today.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics