IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th December 2021, 11:23 AM   #1
Horhang
Scholar

Modern day slavery

Good on INS and Homeland Security for uncovering this and bringing these people to justice.

https://nordot.app/83965400915314278...22757532812385
Horhang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2021, 01:28 PM   #2
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Great bust. I am a bit confused why unlawful detention and kidnapping weren't among the charges.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2021, 03:35 PM   #3
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I wonder if the Vidalia onion I chopped up yesterday was produced with slave labor? I shouldn't be surprised though, I'm sure the migrant farm labor industry has much more of this going on. There need to be greater efforts to stop this.

"Freedom of choice is what you've got. Freedom from choice is what you want." -- Devo
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2021, 04:21 PM   #4
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

What we've always needed in this country is a viable guest worker programs that allows the worker to apply self sponsored and that worker can choose to whom he will sell his labor. The process that exists now, the farmer or labor broker sponsors the worker and it lends itself to this sort of thing. If you had laborers who could choose for whom they work it would make these scenarios at least harder.

As it is now, the farm or the labor broker selects who they bring in and those people can only work on that farm. If that person doesn't like the conditions or the pay on that farm, they can either put up with it or go back to their country.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2021, 06:45 PM   #5
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

There was a similar incident on a much smaller scale in Australia a few months back. A couple were charged with keeping an 'indentured servant' for the past eight years, they were tried and found guilty. Here is the announcement of the trials outcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP_BlVtkad8

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2021, 09:30 PM   #6
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Nothing new to me. This crap has been going on for years in the alcohol and drug community in my section of the USA. Interesting to see that the immigrant community is now a target, probably much easier to deal with given the border stuff.

I remember seeing an episode of Barney Miller dealing with the same subject at the same time I was dealing with it.

It's real and it does exist in the USA. Other countries I cannot attest for.
Old 6th December 2021, 01:48 AM   #7
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
This crap has been going on for years in the alcohol and drug community in my section of the USA...

It's real and it does exist in the USA. Other countries I cannot attest for.
Interestingly, in NZ we've had a spate of slave labour cases recently, and most of them were "employees" in alcohol shops.
Old 6th December 2021, 03:32 AM   #8
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
I remember seeing an episode of Barney Miller dealing with the same subject at the same time I was dealing with it.

It was in season 6, the episode summary on wikipedia states the plot revolves around the embassy of what is now called Myanmar.

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2021, 05:16 AM   #9
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Horhang View Post
Good on INS and Homeland Security for uncovering this and bringing these people to justice.

https://nordot.app/83965400915314278...22757532812385
Aside: Iíve spent too much time on twitter late. I saw the thread title and thought, ďJesus, not more crap about paying taxes!l
Old 6th December 2021, 09:50 PM   #10
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
It was in season 6, the episode summary on wikipedia states the plot revolves around the embassy of what is now called Myanmar.
I remember that one (Iím a Barney Miller junkie) but the one I was thinking about was the character named Ray who first appeared at an open house kind of thing for the 12th precinct and appeared in a few other episodes but one involved abductions of bums from the Salvation Army or wherever it was that Ray was wintering and Harris went underground and got carted off to the fields, year 6, episode 13.

This actually happened to one of my clients. He was abducted from Georgia to a farm in South Carolina. He managed to escape but said the other captives warned him that the county sheriff was on the take involving the situation.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events