IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st December 2021, 06:26 AM   #1
angrysoba
Philosophile

SOKAL III? (Yawn...another hoax?)

So apparently some (likely) sock puppet account is the (Deep fake?) face of a new hoax.

Who knows if those hilarious jesters, Lindsay and Boghossian are behind it, but someone seems to have got a paper published in a journal called Higher Education Quarterly.

This is the Twitter account.

The paper is paywalled. I suppose the "tells" are supposed to be that it has a lot of grammar mistakes judging by this thread by Jeffrey Sachs who seems to take it more or less at face value, or the figures don't add up or the conclusion too obviously biases left-wing people so that they can say, "Aha! Looks like the right-wing not the left-wing fund academia!" or something like that.

Looks like some group became suspicious of this paper and tried to contact the university where the authors were supposedly teaching, as well as the journal and the authors themselves, but they received in response some excuses about not being able to talk on the phone and some hilarious remarks about neo-liberalism.

Anyway, I am not really sure what the aim is. They seem to be making a hoax paper to claim right-wing money is influencing universities and then sending a link to their paper to people who are critical of, say, Koch money influencing climate change discussion etc...

I don't really get how it is some sick burn, though no doubt the usual doofuses - Andrew Doyle, Gad Saad etc... - will say it is.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2021, 12:30 PM   #2
Elaedith
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
So apparently some (likely) sock puppet account is the (Deep fake?) face of a new hoax.

Who knows if those hilarious jesters, Lindsay and Boghossian are behind it, but someone seems to have got a paper published in a journal called Higher Education Quarterly.

The paper is paywalled. I suppose the "tells" are supposed to be that it has a lot of grammar mistakes judging by this thread by Jeffrey Sachs who seems to take it more or less at face value, or the figures don't add up or the conclusion too obviously biases left-wing people so that they can say, "Aha! Looks like the right-wing not the left-wing fund academia!" or something like that.

Looks like some group became suspicious of this paper and tried to contact the university where the authors were supposedly teaching, as well as the journal and the authors themselves, but they received in response some excuses about not being able to talk on the phone and some hilarious remarks about neo-liberalism.

Anyway, I am not really sure what the aim is. They seem to be making a hoax paper to claim right-wing money is influencing universities and then sending a link to their paper to people who are critical of, say, Koch money influencing climate change discussion etc...

I don't really get how it is some sick burn, though no doubt the usual doofuses - Andrew Doyle, Gad Saad etc... - will say it is.
Or the fact that the author's initials spell SOKAL III?

I checked the text. The Tables contain statistical oddities including means and standard deviations for categorical variables. There are grammatical mistakes (there is one in the abstract). Doesn't appear to be proof-read. I don't know who is behind it or the purpose.
Old 1st December 2021, 02:43 PM   #3
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Elaedith View Post
Or the fact that the author's initials spell SOKAL III?

I checked the text. The Tables contain statistical oddities including means and standard deviations for categorical variables. There are grammatical mistakes (there is one in the abstract). Doesn't appear to be proof-read. I don't know who is behind it or the purpose.
Lol! Yes, that is one of the tells as well of course although by itself it wouldn’t make much sense as a hoax paper. Yeah t only would really make sense as a hoax paper unless there is something obviously absurd about it. So I am guessing the poor standards of peer review must be one of the things the hoaxers are flagging up.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 05:28 PM   #4
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

There's a bit more about this story in an article in The Chronicles of Higher Education. Including the claim that this paper is only the first.

Quote:
The legacy of the legendary academic prankster Alan Sokal lives on.

The journal Higher Education Quarterly published a study last month purporting to show that donations from right-wing benefactors influence scholars to promote similarly conservative causes and candidates for jobs. The authors are listed as “Sage Owens” and “Kal Avers-Lynde III” — initials that spell out SOKAL III. It didn’t take long for online sleuths to out it as a hoax.

https://archive.md/uokMK#selection-1415.0-1415.5

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2021, 06:09 PM   #5
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Account suspended.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2021, 10:44 AM   #6
Elaedith
Graduate Poster

The article has been retracted.
One thing I noted is that the text of the article was written in a way that is superficially plausible, (aside from grammatical errors). The statistics, however, were nonsense. It raises questions about whether the reviewers had any statistical training.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events