ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 30th July 2020, 02:55 AM   #241
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The UK government are continuing their stellar job of making up policy on the fly. Nick Hancock has suggested that the 14 day quarantine period for international arrivals may be cut (presumably because it's unpopular) at the same time as the government increases the period of self-isolation for those with symptoms from 7 days to 10 days (until that proves unpopular and it's reduced again).
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 02:57 AM   #242
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
The UK government are continuing their stellar job of making up policy on the fly. Nick Hancock has suggested that the 14 day quarantine period for international arrivals may be cut (presumably because it's unpopular) at the same time as the government increases the period of self-isolation for those with symptoms from 7 days to 10 days (until that proves unpopular and it's reduced again).
Scurrilous accusation that is totally untrue.

Policy is not made up on the fly but after a careful examination of all relevant data, i.e. the headlines and how Johnson is polling
Old 30th July 2020, 03:03 AM   #243
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I think this is the most shocking report to come out yet: A study has found that Dominic Cummings' trip to Durham undermined lockdown, and made people less trusting of politicians

I'm shocked. Are you shocked? I am. Shocked!
Old 30th July 2020, 03:22 AM   #244
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I think this is the most shocking report to come out yet: A study has found that Dominic Cummings' trip to Durham undermined lockdown, and made people less trusting of politicians

I'm shocked. Are you shocked? I am. Shocked!
I've probably already mentioned it in this thread - but this was the first time I've ever been able to say I've seen such a thing happen. Usually people claim something like Ed Milliband "two kitchens" faux pa and we are told this had an impact on people but I've never seen that having any real effect on people's attitudes at the time but Cummings really did and it was across the board regardless of political leaning.
Old 30th July 2020, 05:48 AM   #245
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Boris Johnson is warning the country that we're not out of the woods yet:

Quote:
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said it's "absolutely vital as a country we don’t delude ourselves that somehow we’re out of the woods or this is all over, because it isn’t all over".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/worl...ost_type=share

Gosh, I wonder how people could have come to such an errant conclusion ?

Quote:
Coronavirus restrictions will ease further in England under plans for a "significant return to normality" by Christmas, Boris Johnson has announced.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53441912

The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 03:19 PM   #246
Samson
Philosopher

Nicola Sturgeon praised for covid response

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12352492

I expect Rolfe may expand on this.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 03:39 PM   #247
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Hmm. She's done OK since May. She's doing OK now. In March she killed four thousand people.
Old 31st July 2020, 02:05 AM   #248
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

So people in Manchester can share a room with lots of others and get pissed if it's a pub but they can't do that in their own home, why? Because money, if you think this government give a **** about your health you're a ******* barmcake!

That a government minister announces informally late night on Twitter that there are new laws with criminal sanctions with immediate effect is exactly the opposite of what should be happening in a well-functioning parliamentary democracy.

Boris boasting of 'massive success' over coronavirus deaths within hours of the Office for National Statistics revealing England was found to have the worst excess death total in Europe.
And still people defend him with the 'no comparison compare because different methods' ********.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 31st July 2020 at 02:06 AM.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 02:06 AM   #249
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I fear that this latest announcement will result in a Coronavirus spike in Wales

Quote:
Up to 30 people can meet outdoors and children under 11 will not have to social distance in Wales from Monday.

Swimming pools, gyms, leisure centres and indoor play areas, including soft play, can reopen from 10 August.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-53595372

I suppose that as long as the Welsh government are prepared to reverse these decisions at the first sign of a significant rise in cases, then it's OK news.
Old 31st July 2020, 02:08 AM   #250
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
That a government minister announces informally late night on Twitter that there are new laws with criminal sanctions with immediate effect is exactly the opposite of what should be happening in a well-functioning parliamentary democracy.

Boris boasting of 'massive success' over coronavirus deaths within hours of the Office for National Statistics revealing England was found to have the worst excess death total in Europe.
And still people defend him with the 'no comparison compare because different methods' ********.
Boris Johnson's boast is really quite cynical. We had deaths spiralling out of control but instead of trying to learn from the mistakes that got us to that sorry position, he's chosen to crow about how the numbers are now merely bad.
Old 31st July 2020, 04:16 AM   #251
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I was thinking about the contrast with the "financial crisis" of 2008 and today and one thing I think has been remarkably different is that we haven't had a figure step up to the global stage. During the 2008 crisis Brown and to a lesser extent Darling did help shape the global response, brokered deals amongst the G20 such as the 1 trillion dollar bail out.

It's not that we've not seen impressive leaders in their own countries but this pandemic seems to have lacked someone who has managed to shape the worldwide response, someone to get the world's major leaders together (if only by Zoom! ).
Old 31st July 2020, 05:44 AM   #252
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

God, you know the situation is bad when you're praising Gordon Brown in comparison.
Old 31st July 2020, 08:13 AM   #253
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Nicola Sturgeon acting decisively to try to limit infections from England. Doubtless she'll be criticised for her "racism".

Quote:
Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon is giving more details on her government's advice against non-essential travel to parts of northern England.

People should only travel to areas covered by the UK government's new restrictions - Greater Manchester, east Lancashire and parts of West Yorkshire - if absolutely necessary, she says at an impromptu press conference.

"If you're returning to Scotland from these parts of the north of England we're asking you to minimise your contact with people outside of your own household for 14 days after your return.
Old 31st July 2020, 08:13 AM   #254
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Brown was a good Chancellor, He wasn't such a good PM and had the bad luck to be PM at the time of the global crash.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 10:46 AM   #255
Rolfe

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Nicola Sturgeon acting decisively to try to limit infections from England. Doubtless she'll be criticised for her "racism".

I listened to it live and she was practically doing contortions to head off that accusation. I have a very close friend who lives in Calderdale. I always spend Christmas with her and her family. I was thinking of phoning and remarking that I'd just been banned from visiting her! (She's Scottish, as it happens. So racist, this.)
Old 31st July 2020, 11:01 AM   #256
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Brown was a good Chancellor, He wasn't such a good PM and had the bad luck to be PM at the time of the global crash.
According to Conservatives he was the most powerful PM ever since apparently he caused the worldwide crash.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 01:00 PM   #257
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

New local lockdown rules.
You can drink cider with a goth in a graveyard but only on Cher's birthday.
Space hoppers will now be the only transport.
Wotsits are illegal.
You can dress a Badger up as a Viking on Tuesdays.
You MUST play the piano with your feet.
Old 31st July 2020, 01:12 PM   #258
ZeeGerman
Graduate Poster

Wotsits are illegal.
I had to google Wotsits. Banning them sounds reasonable
Old 31st July 2020, 01:27 PM   #259
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Wotsits are illegal.
Dammit, I'd already booked the badger for Thursday.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 01:37 PM   #260
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Dammit, I'd already booked the badger for Thursday.
I'm painting a stripe down the back of mine so I can claim it is skunk, I doubt whether anybody will be bothered enough to get their eyes tested to double check.
Old 31st July 2020, 06:52 PM   #261
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

One or more of those might not be true!!
Old 1st August 2020, 01:29 AM   #262
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
One or more of those might not be true!!
You got infected by Trump tweets?
Old 1st August 2020, 06:09 AM   #263
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I'm painting a stripe down the back of mine so I can claim it is skunk, I doubt whether anybody will be bothered enough to get their eyes tested to double check.
It’s a long way to Barnard’s Castle from here.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 06:28 AM   #264
Rolfe

I actually had an eye test on Thursday. I drove to Roslin for it, about 12 miles away. I completely missed my chance to make Barnard Castle jokes to the optician. (Although probably everybody was doing it so she could have been relieved.)
Old 1st August 2020, 08:29 AM   #265
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
It’s a long way to Barnard’s Castle from here.
I still haven't been able to visit . I have a 12-pack of Brewdog's Barnard Castle Eyesight Test to deliver to a mate and I'd like to see if they've started work on my late father's home (it sold 4 weeks ago).
Old 1st August 2020, 09:39 AM   #266
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

UK had 3200 a day new infections a week ago
Now 4200 a day !
SPAIN has 1500 tested positive yesterday and UK is putting restrictions on returning from Spain.
Old 1st August 2020, 10:00 AM   #267
sphenisc
Philosopher

Now 4200 a day !
SPAIN has 1500 tested positive yesterday and UK is putting restrictions on returning from Spain.
UK had 770 new cases today according to Worldometer.

Also the UK had dropped out of the top 10 for cases and has been overtaken by Mexico for deaths.

Last edited by sphenisc; 1st August 2020 at 10:03 AM.
sphenisc is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 10:10 AM   #268
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
UK had 770 new cases today according to Worldometer.

Also the UK had dropped out of the top 10 for cases and has been overtaken by Mexico for deaths.
The USA managed 92 times that many cases. We're number one!
Old 1st August 2020, 11:14 AM   #269
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

From the "Trafford Express" on Facebook (motto - Fake news you can trust)

Quote:
In Manchester, you can be sacked for refusing to go and sit with someone in an office, fined £100 for sitting with them at home, and given a money-off deal to sit with them in a busy restaurant.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 11:19 AM   #270
Rolfe

The UK as a whole had 761 new cases today

England 722
Scotland 18
Wales 21
NI 0

(Actually I think NI doesn't update its numbers at the weekend.) If you express this per million population you get

England 10.9
Scotland 3.3
Wales 6.7

Last edited by Rolfe; 1st August 2020 at 11:20 AM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 12:35 PM   #271
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Now 4200 a day !
Er, what? Do you mean a week, not a day?

https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/cases

Last edited by zooterkin; 1st August 2020 at 12:40 PM.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 12:42 PM   #272
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Yup, i mixed that up a bit
Old 1st August 2020, 03:27 PM   #273
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

An amazing day in Berlin today. A massive demo against the corona nonsense. System press is laughably claiming there were 20,000 participants while the whole city was full and the Straße des 17. Juli looked like during the Love Parade. Easily in the mid-to-high six digit figures. And then the police tried to end it prematurely and everybody was like "we stay here" and the police was like "ok, whatever". A day that will go down in history, maybe even under its motto "Das Ende der Pandemie - Der Tag der Freiheit"!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

edit: Police: "go home", People: "Wir bleiben hier" (we stay here), "Widerstand" (resistance) and "Wir sind das Volk" (we are the people, classic slogan of the 1989 peaceful revolution against the GDR):

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 1st August 2020 at 03:52 PM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 05:19 PM   #274
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
An amazing day in Berlin today. A massive demo against the corona nonsense. System press is laughably claiming there were 20,000 participants while the whole city was full and the Straße des 17. Juli looked like during the Love Parade. Easily in the mid-to-high six digit figures. And then the police tried to end it prematurely and everybody was like "we stay here" and the police was like "ok, whatever". A day that will go down in history, maybe even under its motto "Das Ende der Pandemie - Der Tag der Freiheit"!

I AGREE

edit: Police: "go home", People: "Wir bleiben hier" (we stay here), "Widerstand" (resistance) and "Wir sind das Volk" (we are the people, classic slogan of the 1989 peaceful revolution against the GDR):

I AGREE

Nice going! I'm sure once the virus sees that the people are opposed to it, it will stop infecting them.
Old 1st August 2020, 06:23 PM   #275
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Nice going! I'm sure once the virus sees that the people are opposed to it, it will stop infecting them.

It's the other way around. We realized that the virus loves us while it attacks bad karma people like yours, so we thought we'd tell the government about it.

The demands from the stage to the government were: Stop all "Corona-Measures" immediately, then resign and organize new elections as soon as possible.
Old 1st August 2020, 06:29 PM   #276
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Kidding aside, there is something very, very interesting brewing here. The participants were mostly "normies" as they say, and their level of information about the situation is way above what the average ISF science subforum reader has.

We'll see. Maybe in our n-th attempt we'll finally save the world.
Old 1st August 2020, 10:42 PM   #277
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

It's not often I see Childlike Empress agree with Trump and Bolsonarno, I guess those lead countries which are sterling examples of how well you can control the virus by ignoring it.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 11:35 PM   #278
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Quote:

Most troubling of all, perhaps, was a sentiment the expert said a member of Kushner’s team expressed: that because the virus had hit blue states hardest, a national plan was unnecessary and would not make sense politically. “The political folks believed that because it was going to be relegated to Democratic states, that they could blame those governors, and that would be an effective political strategy,” said the expert.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020...-into-thin-air
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 11:55 PM   #279
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

An amazing day in Berlin today. A massive demo against the corona nonsense.
What specifically are they claiming is nonsense?
Old 1st August 2020, 11:56 PM   #280
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Kidding aside, there is something very, very interesting brewing here. The participants were mostly "normies" as they say, and their level of information about the situation is way above what the average ISF science subforum reader has.

We'll see. Maybe in our n-th attempt we'll finally save the world.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics