ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 26th July 2020, 06:48 PM   #361
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
That is from last winter.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 07:19 PM   #362
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted

Dan Bongino
@dbongino
ANTIFA is a fascist terror-group committed to bringing fascism to the United States by whatever means necessary.
That's hilarious. A group whose very name is short for anti-fascism is accused of wanting to bring fascism to America.

D.U.M.B.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 07:47 PM   #363
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump Retweeted

Trump War Room - Text TRUMP to 88022
@TrumpWarRoom
Apr 30
President Obama went golfing on Saturday, perhaps the same day that his wife Michelle Obama was recording this message to Americans ordering them to stay home.
Was this after he said he was going to stop the rash Tweets or whatever he said?

How tone deaf can a person possibly be?????

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 08:34 PM   #364
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I see Trump is no longer going to throw out the first pitch at Yankee Stadium on August 15.....So he can focus on the "China virus"

1. Trump doesn't do a damn thing. So focus isn't an issue.

2. I see the racist pig has to inject hatred and blame into everything.

3. My guess is he was unlikely to attend for a number of reasons...including both teams kneeling during the National Anthem....not to mention booing like he's never heard before....and directed at him.
Old 26th July 2020, 08:38 PM   #365
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

He probably cancelled it because he can't pick up a baseball with one hand, and the mound is so steep and slippery he'll need help getting down.
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 08:42 PM   #366
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
That's hilarious. A group whose very name is short for anti-fascism is accused of wanting to bring fascism to America.

D.U.M.B.
It makes sense in the context of GOP doublethink: every accusation is a confession. Any group that claims to be explicitly anti-fascist must be fascist or they wouldn't need to claim not to be.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 08:42 PM   #367
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Of course he's not going to throw the first pitch. He's too afraid he'll look like a fool.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 08:49 PM   #368
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Of course he's not going to throw the first pitch. He's too afraid he'll look like a fool.

That horse left the barn a long time ago.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 09:03 PM   #369
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I see Trump is no longer going to throw out the first pitch at Yankee Stadium on August 15.....So he can focus on the "China virus"

1. Trump doesn't do a damn thing. So focus isn't an issue.

2. I see the racist pig has to inject hatred and blame into everything.

3. My guess is he was unlikely to attend for a number of reasons...including both teams kneeling during the National Anthem....not to mention booing like he's never heard before....and directed at him.
And...
4. If he can't drink a glass of water with one hand, there's no way he can throw a ball 60 feet.
Old 26th July 2020, 09:13 PM   #370
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
That horse left the barn a long time ago.
Yeah but he doesn't believe that. He is, OTOH, well aware that his bragging and reality are far apart.

Old 26th July 2020, 09:24 PM   #371
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
I'm afraid Captain_Swoop will soon be out of a job here:

"BREAKING EXCLUSIVE: sources are telling us that Trump "is going to focus on the issues from now and may even tweet less to help his poll numbers.""

https://twitter.com/politvidchannel/...61423119486979

This is definitely the day Trump became president!
(well, according to "source" anyway)
Wait!
Is this the pivot?
I remember scores of Republicans telling me in January 2017 that we should expect a pivot.
The loud-mouthed boor was just an act for the primaries and election. Now he is going to pivot to be the insightful, stable leader we have always wanted.
Old 26th July 2020, 09:30 PM   #372
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

He'll still leave us wanting more.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 09:44 PM   #373
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

People go to Canada from here for cheaper drugs, sometimes in busses. A doc on the Canadian side simply rewrites the prescription.
So is that Trump's solution for cheaper meds for the USA?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 09:45 PM   #374
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Give yourself a feel good moment as Trumpís ****** wall is getting blown to **** by the hurricane and is falling down.
"It's going to be a serious wall. It's not going to be a toy wall like we have right now"
- Donald Trump

"It's going to be a powerful wall. "
- Donald Trump

"Someday, when I`m no longer around, they will call at the Trump wall. It`s got to be the greatest wall."
- Donald Trump

"Walls work if they're properly constructed. I know how to build, believe me, I know how to build."
- Donald Trump

You know what would make a good campaign ad? Play clips of all the huge claims that Trump has made about the wall, and then show pictures of the wall collapsing in the wind (or show clips of people climbing over it, or show the wall with the hole cut out of it.) Drive home the fact that Trump's big project is a big folly.

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Sorry, guys, I need some better sources on the wall collapsing. What I've seen so far could be any wall, anywhere, anytime.
Well the design of the wall is fairly unique to Trump's wall. The big issue is when was the video taken.

I tried to do some googling, and the only "media source" was the Daily Mail (which does not have a good reputation.) I think the white house has claimed that the video of the collapse was done in the day time, whereas the hurricane hit in the evening. (Not that the Trump administration is very trustworthy either.)

So, its quite possible that footage of the collapse from earlier this year has falsely been labeled as coming during the hurricane. (Which would be a shame, since these types of mistakes give cover for the Trump administration...)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 10:06 PM   #375
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

He can't throw. Even to a commercial break.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 26th July 2020 at 10:07 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 10:37 PM   #376
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

The media sources I've checked have all been skeptical, and that one tweet seems to be the only source, and the link is broken, suggesting she took it down.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 11:22 PM   #377
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
I'm afraid Captain_Swoop will soon be out of a job here:

"BREAKING EXCLUSIVE: sources are telling us that Trump "is going to focus on the issues from now and may even tweet less to help his poll numbers.""

https://twitter.com/politvidchannel/...61423119486979

This is definitely the day Trump became president!
(well, according to "source" anyway)
(Quoting myself, how Trumpian is that?)

Judging from Captain_Swoop's activity the last 12 hours, it seems that the "sources" haven't convinced Trump just yet.

As many have noted, the mainstream media will treat even one reasonable tweet as a "pivot", a "new tone", bla bla bla ...

My hope is that the 55% or more who have a negative opinion about Trump will be smarter than the pundits and not be gaslighted by these tricks.
Old 26th July 2020, 11:56 PM   #378
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Wait so the wall was gay?
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Of course! You've never heard of Stonewall?
Thanks for the amusement, but... to poke at this a little seriously, said deity tends to offer rather indiscriminate punishment. Someone chooses not to follow his command? Massive death to the innocent comrades who were following said deity's orders, frequently, but not to the sinner. Truly, such a just deity.

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
...what?
As you've been directed to already... some people in Florida had a pro-Trump boat parade. It clearly made Trump happy. He's praised boaters a number of times now for similar reasons, I think.

That he's bragging about it deserves little more than , but that's Trump, unfortunately.
Old 27th July 2020, 01:18 AM   #379
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Randy Barnett
@RandyEBarnett
My whole adult life, opponents of private gun ownership have insisted that an individual right to keep and bear arms was outmoded because it is better to rely on the police. In multiple ways, in 2020 that argument has been completely demolished.
True. Instead it's outmoded because the people who keep the guns using the excuse of needing them in case an authoritarian government starts attacking its own citizens have demonstrated that they're actually just fine with that.
Old 27th July 2020, 01:19 AM   #380
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

This is old news, it relates to Professor Alan Lichtman's assessment that President Trump is likely to be reelected. A TL;DR video from a couple of weeks ago.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The conclusion is that President Trump is highly likely to be reelected if the model is valid.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2020, 01:50 AM   #381
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Thsi phrase from teh tweet: "Regis Philbin has passed on to even greater airwaves,..." is too lyrical fro Trump. Someone else is the author and just used Trump's account to post it.
Obviously. But he did approve it. Probably.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2020, 06:20 AM   #382
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Trump Retweets

In the last 100 days youíve embraced policies to crush local police, wipe out borders, give the entire economy to enviro-extremists & raise taxes by trillions.
Over the next 100 days what other radical leftist ideas will you be forced to adopt?

Trump War Room - Text TRUMP to 88022
@TrumpWarRoom
Joe Biden is a Trojan horse for the radical left!

Look, it's one or the other. You can't be a "Trojan Horse" if you're openly adopting the policies of the people you're supposedly "Trojan horsing" for.
Old 27th July 2020, 06:25 AM   #383
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
This is old news, it relates to Professor Alan Lichtman's assessment that President Trump is likely to be reelected. A TL;DR video from a couple of weeks ago.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The conclusion is that President Trump is highly likely to be reelected if the model is valid.
I took a look at that video... (It was an actual analysis rather than a pro-trump election propaganda piece.)

The video talked about multiple"keys" (short term economy, long term economy, foreign policy wins/loses, changes made, etc) and whichever candidate has the most "keys" is likely to win.

The problem is, it seems to list so many of the keys as "subjective" in the case of Stubby Mcbonespurs that it seems like it's more of a tool to use after the election than before... E.g. if trump loses I guess he didn't get these keys.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2020, 06:51 AM   #384
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump’s Campaign announces its all-star line-up of speakers for new scaled down Republican Convention.
Ted Nugent, Scott Baio, Antonio Sabato Jr, and Diamond and Silk will all appear virtually in Zoom boxes before Trump’s acceptance speech. You can already feel the electricity.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2020, 06:57 AM   #385
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Look, it's one or the other. You can't be a "Trojan Horse" if you're openly adopting the policies of the people you're supposedly "Trojan horsing" for.
If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you.
Old 27th July 2020, 07:01 AM   #386
Armitage72
Illuminator

Trump’s Campaign announces its all-star line-up of speakers for new scaled down Republican Convention.
Ted Nugent, Scott Baio, Antonio Sabato Jr, and Diamond and Silk will all appear virtually in Zoom boxes before Trump’s acceptance speech. You can already feel the electricity.

The official statement from the campaign press communications director was that Trump's speech will be "epic". If that guest list is anything to judge from, she just meant long.

EDIT: Sabato has claimed that President Obama is a Muslim and said he should be arrested and sent to Guantanamo Bay. I can't imagine why he's been invited.

Last edited by Armitage72; 27th July 2020 at 07:05 AM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2020, 07:10 AM   #387
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Trumpís Campaign announces its all-star line-up of speakers for new scaled down Republican Convention.
Ted Nugent, Scott Baio, Antonio Sabato Jr, and Diamond and Silk will all appear virtually in Zoom boxes before Trumpís acceptance speech. You can already feel the electricity.
What was Kevin Sorbo asking for too much money?
Old 27th July 2020, 07:12 AM   #388
carlitos
"mŠs divertido"

Getting him would have taken a Herculean effort. Also maybe Chuck Woollery and Pat Sajak have a thing that day
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2020, 08:24 AM   #389
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
What was Kevin Sorbo asking for too much money?

You don't go upstaging Scott Baio like that, if you know what's good for you!
Old 27th July 2020, 09:06 AM   #390
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Sorry, guys, I need some better sources on the wall collapsing. What I've seen so far could be any wall, anywhere, anytime.
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Your point being?
"People are saying" that Hurricane Hanna collapsed Trump's wall. I hope she did, but <citation needed>.

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
That was January. I'd really like to see a reliable source connecting a wall collapse to Hanna.
Old 27th July 2020, 09:55 AM   #391
Armitage72
Illuminator

A more recent news story is saying it was most likely a section of fence that was blown over by high winds in June while still in the process of being anchored to the ground.

Quote:
A video gone viral Sunday said to show a section of the border fence being blown down by Hurricane Hanna was likely taken a month before the storm slammed the South Texas Coast, U.S. Customs and Border Protection said Monday.

"The video circulating on social media appears to be from June 2020 when high winds caused several border wall panels that were pending additional anchoring to fall over at a construction site near Deming, New Mexico," the federal agency said in a statement. "That project is funded by the Department of Defense using 2808 Military Construction Funds, so any questions regarding the incident should be directed to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Last edited by Armitage72; 27th July 2020 at 09:56 AM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2020, 10:07 AM   #392
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The Campaign (correctly) assumes that, compared to the line-up speakers' , Trump's lies will seem banal.
Old 27th July 2020, 10:13 AM   #393
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Wait, is that better? "It wasn't a hurricane that blew down The Wall, it was just ordinary wind!"
Old 27th July 2020, 10:16 AM   #394
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Wait, is that better? "It wasn't a hurricane that blew down The Wall, it was just ordinary wind!"
I think the implication is that the videos shown are from earlier this year, and that it's only a section of fence that was blown down now.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2020, 10:18 AM   #395
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Oh the wind blows strong, all day long (clap clap clap clap) Deep in the heart of Texas
You can hear it say "Blow that wall away" (clap clap clap clap) Deep in the heart of Texas
Old 27th July 2020, 10:18 AM   #396
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I think the implication is that the videos shown are from earlier this year, and that it's only a section of fence that was blown down now.
Oh, that's okay then. Lots of walls work just fine with gaps in them.
Old 27th July 2020, 10:20 AM   #397
Belz...
Fiend God

Oh, that's okay then. Lots of walls work just fine with gaps in them.
The very fact that it's not an actual wall is hilarious.

Old 27th July 2020, 10:28 AM   #398
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The very fact that it's not an actual wall is hilarious.
It's more of a trellis, really. Would look great covered in roses or tomato plants!
Old 27th July 2020, 10:47 AM   #399
Belz...
Fiend God

It's more of a trellis, really. Would look great covered in roses or tomato plants!
Should have planted cedar trees and made a hedge instead.

Old 27th July 2020, 10:52 AM   #400
Armitage72
Illuminator

They're saying that it was a section that was still being put up and wasn't fully anchored to the ground yet.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics