ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 23rd July 2020, 02:16 PM   #81
jnelso99
Muse

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
A lot of times, these kinds of tests aren't testing what you might think they are.
Like Rorschach tests. I have an old book, Big Secrets by William Poundstone, that tells you in which blotches you're SUPPOSED to say you see the hoo-hahs.
jnelso99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 02:22 PM   #82
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Next time? Someone's been giving you the test?
Yes, see below. There's also a questionnaire asking stuff like whether you've fallen. https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Edu..._ICN905706.pdf

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Any of you on Medicare? The free annual "physical" is a so called wellness visit with a lower medical staff running through home safety check lists etc. she can give you the full Montreal cognitive test or parts. The doctor then can concentrate on the physical aspects of the exam on the second visit. Mine, the nurse, asked me what day it was. I knew it was past the 17th since that was the last check I wrote.
Old 23rd July 2020, 02:30 PM   #83
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jnelso99 View Post
Like Rorschach tests. I have an old book, Big Secrets by William Poundstone, that tells you in which blotches you're SUPPOSED to say you see the hoo-hahs.
The would-be Mercury astronauts were asked to describe what they saw on a blank piece of paper. Some said they saw nothing; others saw a snowfield. One guy said, "But it's upside down!"

He didn't get selected as one of the original seven.

For some reason Trump's dragging out of this cognitive test issue strikes me as one particular area that must have foreign heads of state laughing, whether in glee or out of a desperate urge not to cry. Most of these are serious people - not good people, necessarily, but solidly educated and cognizant that these tests are not the kind you brag about acing. I think of Xi rising to lead the CCP; Putin the KGB man and master manipulator, Merkel with her doctorate in chemistry - and then I think of Trump who probably needed to cheat and bribe just to manage a B.A. (or B.S.) degree in general business, or whatever the easiest business major there is, and just cringe.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 02:31 PM   #84
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
I gave that cognitive test to my mom - after she had three glasses of wine. It was hilarious!
Now I need to try this test on my friends as a drinking game .
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 02:33 PM   #85
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

My wife says he just announced the Jacksonville convention is cancelled.
Old 23rd July 2020, 02:34 PM   #86
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
The would-be Mercury astronauts were asked to describe what they saw on a blank piece of paper. Some said they saw nothing; others saw a snowfield. One guy said, "But it's upside down!"

He didn't get selected as one of the original seven.

For some reason Trump's dragging out of this cognitive test issue strikes me as one particular area that must have foreign heads of state laughing, whether in glee or out of a desperate urge not to cry. Most of these are serious people - not good people, necessarily, but solidly educated and cognizant that these tests are not the kind you brag about acing. I think of Xi rising to lead the CCP; Putin the KGB man and master manipulator, Merkel with her doctorate in chemistry - and then I think of Trump who probably needed to cheat and bribe just to manage a B.A. (or B.S.) degree in general business, or whatever the easiest business major there is, and just cringe.
Putin's Rorshach test: "I see...an overwhelming popular mandate for me to continue in my leadership position. Isn't that what you see, too, doctor?"
Old 23rd July 2020, 02:39 PM   #87
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jnelso99 View Post
I have that one, too. It's been quite a while since I read it..
Old 23rd July 2020, 02:42 PM   #88
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
This may be a rare incident of Trump honesty. Perhaps he actually did find the "test" hard.
The way he brags and goes on about the test, I have no doubt it was hard for him.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 02:51 PM   #89
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The way he brags and goes on about the test, I have no doubt it was hard for him.
Well, for a man of his age and probable circulatory issues that may be something boast-worthy...oh, never mind, you mean the test.
Old 23rd July 2020, 02:54 PM   #90
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
My wife says he just announced the Jacksonville convention is cancelled.
Local news is confirming same.

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/t...FK4GKY2GHQ6SE/
Old 23rd July 2020, 03:09 PM   #91
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
But there's a more opaque mentality at work here, more of a Joker-esque need to just watch the world burn, all to get back at people who dared to tell you not to touch the hot stove and then had the utter audacity to actually be right that touching the hot stove was a bad idea. "I'd rather think for myself then be factually correct" has become self-feeding and self-destructive.
In a way that's the logical end-result of focusing so much on the individual at the expense of the community, and of telling every single person that they are super-special and important.

They're not.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Last edited by Belz...; 23rd July 2020 at 03:11 PM.
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 03:16 PM   #92
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I especially enjoy when Fox News polling (A- rated by 538) comes out with numbers like...

PA: Biden +11
MI: Biden +9

This poll (Quinnipiac) is eye-catching.

FA: Biden +13

link
Old 23rd July 2020, 03:25 PM   #93
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

That astronaut was Pete Conrad, who made it into the gemini programme and became the third man to walk on the Moon.

/derail
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 03:38 PM   #94
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Just saw it on the BBC news here .
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 04:22 PM   #95
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Ironically the rise the Trump is the first thing I've seen that really makes me believe that large chunks of the Right can no longer really sustain the lie that they are right about most things or that history is moving in their direction.
I wish I were confident that history isn't moving in their direction. Sure has taken a turn that way recently.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 04:31 PM   #96
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Putin's Rorshach test: "I see...an overwhelming popular mandate for me to continue in my leadership position. Isn't that what you see, too, doctor?"
Wow. I think you nailed it.

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
That astronaut was Pete Conrad, who made it into the gemini programme and became the third man to walk on the Moon.

/derail
Just finishing up "The Right Stuff" here.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 04:32 PM   #97
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Evangelical end times hype.
The more it looks like it's the end times the happier they are.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 04:34 PM   #98
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Trump has decided to elucidate on the test he "aced", by describing the last very difficult question. It's exactly what everybody has been saying it is.

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/s...205405184?s=20

Footage embedded in tweet.
He forgot the name of the test L:
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 04:44 PM   #99
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if this will make any Trump fans realize that he is confirming a reality that he has denied for months. That had he done this sooner, the U.S. would be dealing with a smaller, more manageable problem?
Old 23rd July 2020, 05:04 PM   #100
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Suburban Housewives of America must read this article. Biden will destroy your neighborhood and your American Dream. I will preserve it, and make it even better!
Joe Biden’s disastrous plans for America’s suburbs

Quote Tweet
If you live in the suburbs or you’re a city dweller eyeing a move to a quiet cul-de-sac where your kids can play outside, you need to know about Joe Biden’s plan for a federal takeover of local...
nypost.com
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 05:08 PM   #101
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The Suburban Housewives of America must read this article. Biden will destroy your neighborhood and your American Dream. I will preserve it, and make it even better!
Joe Biden’s disastrous plans for America’s suburbs

Quote Tweet
If you live in the suburbs or you’re a city dweller eyeing a move to a quiet cul-de-sac where your kids can play outside, you need to know about Joe Biden’s plan for a federal takeover of local...
nypost.com
Trump, on the other hand, is all about a federal takeover of downtown Portland and other cities. Which is just fine, because reasons, according to conservatives and libertarians on this forum.
Old 23rd July 2020, 05:11 PM   #102
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Has anyone looked up the website for the Suburban Housewives of America (SHA)?
Old 23rd July 2020, 05:51 PM   #103
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Has anyone looked up the website for the Suburban Housewives of America (SHA)?
Who even uses the term "housewife" anymore?
Old 23rd July 2020, 05:54 PM   #104
SezMe
post-pre-born

Trump Retweeted

Brit Hume
@brithume
Quote: “Even if the charges are dis*missed, or the McCloskeys are par*doned af*ter be*ing con*victed, again we have a pub*lic of*fi*cial re*spon*si*ble for up*hold*ing law and or*der wink at a mob while treat*ing law-abid*ing cit*i*zens as crim*i*nals.”
What's up with all the as*ter*isks?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 05:59 PM   #105
SezMe
post-pre-born

Trump Retweeted

Will Chamberlain
@willchamberlain
Matt Borges - the former chair of the Ohio Republican Party - set up a #NeverTrump PAC to try and elect Joe Biden
Today he was arrested in a $60 million bribery case
I'm not sure that bragging about one of your own being caught in a $60 mil bribery case is smart politics.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 06:01 PM   #106
SezMe
post-pre-born

Trump Tweets

Buck Sexton
@BuckSexton
No matter what @realDonaldTrump did, what he closed down, how many masks he wore, @TheDemocrats were going to use his response to the #coronavirus as a political weapon in 2020.
No, kidding, Buck. What was your first clue?
Old 23rd July 2020, 06:08 PM   #107
SezMe
post-pre-born

Trump Tweets

Obama, who wouldn’t even endorse Biden until everyone else was out of the primaries (and even then waited a long time!), is now making a commercial of support. Remember, I wouldn’t even be here if it weren’t for them. I wouldn’t be President. They did a terrible job!
That actually asks an interesting hypothetical question: Would Trump have run and won in 2016 if Hillary was president 2008-16? I think I could argue either the "yes" or "no" side.
Old 23rd July 2020, 06:13 PM   #108
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
... And I'm in my mid-60's.
Damn spring chickens on this forum really get my goat sometimes.
Old 23rd July 2020, 06:21 PM   #109
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
As court victories go, it's pretty small (and Cohen is not exactly the most sympathetic character). But I do like seeing the Trump administration lose court cases, and maybe Cohen's book (if he does publish it) will have a little extra dirt on it to further tarnish Trump's image.
And for those of us in lock down states, we're pretty much on home confinement anyway.
Old 23rd July 2020, 06:29 PM   #110
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I wish I were confident that history isn't moving in their direction. Sure has taken a turn that way recently.
Depends on your concept of "recently". If recently = last decade, then I would agree. If recently = since late 70s, I would disagree.
Old 23rd July 2020, 06:32 PM   #111
SezMe
post-pre-born

OK, I'll stop now.
Old 23rd July 2020, 07:17 PM   #112
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Person, woman, man, camera, TV.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 07:33 PM   #113
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Trump’s campaign ad blunders.
I can’t decide if they

-are the inevitable result of DJT not wanting to pay too much for staff
-are attempts to troll the liberals
-are designed to be distractions to keep people from focusing on more important things.

Actually, I’m going to eliminate that last one. It would require more planning than Team Trump is capable of mustering.

ETA
Did any of them include “I am President Trump and I approved this message”?
Old 23rd July 2020, 07:36 PM   #114
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

One of the country's top generals dismissed President Donald Trump as "an idiot" businessman with no "basic understanding of national security" at a 2017 dinner, according to another official's notes...In the Post story about sexual assault allegations against Gen. John E. Hyten, the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, retired Col. Kathy Spletstoser shared notes she took from the October 2017 dinner where she annotated the general's comments....Hyten, now 60, added that he believed First Lady Melania Trump had a better grasp on military operations than the president.

That is totally fake news.

Everyone knows Trump isn't an idiot. He's a moron.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 07:37 PM   #115
Nova Land
/
Tagger

Who even uses the term "housewife" anymore?

Well, Donna Stone for one seems happy to be identified with that term.

(Or at least I'm not aware of any complaints from her about her biographer Josie Brown repeatedly identifying her as a housewife. I assume if Stone were upset about being identified that way that Brown would have been "replaced" by now.)
Nova Land is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 07:57 PM   #116
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
He forgot the name of the test L:

When he was praising Ft Bragg in the Chris Wallace interview he said (I’m paraphrasing from memory) that it was in a beautiful state, he loves that state. He did not name that state.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 07:59 PM   #117
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Person, woman, man, camera, TV.

I’ll take this one, Alex. “What are things Trump can see while being interviewed on a tv show”
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 08:10 PM   #118
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
One of the country's top generals dismissed President Donald Trump as "an idiot" businessman with no "basic understanding of national security" at a 2017 dinner, according to another official's notes...In the Post story about sexual assault allegations against Gen. John E. Hyten, the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, retired Col. Kathy Spletstoser shared notes she took from the October 2017 dinner where she annotated the general's comments....Hyten, now 60, added that he believed First Lady Melania Trump had a better grasp on military operations than the president.

That is totally fake news.

Everyone knows Trump isn't an idiot. He's a moron.
No, he is a full-blown idiot:

IdiotWP

Quote:
In the early 1900s, Dr. Henry H. Goddard proposed a classification system for intellectual disability based on the Binet-Simon concept of mental age. Individuals with the lowest mental age level (less than three years) were identified as idiots; imbeciles had a mental age of three to seven years, and morons had a mental age of seven to ten years.
Here is a documentary about idiots:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare

Last edited by shemp; 23rd July 2020 at 08:15 PM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 10:54 PM   #119
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
I especially enjoy when Fox News polling (A- rated by 538) comes out with numbers like...

PA: Biden +11
MI: Biden +9

This poll (Quinnipiac) is eye-catching.

FA: Biden +13

link
Very interesting numbers.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 10:58 PM   #120
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Yes, yes, but if you are in no doubt about your mental state, and don't expect others to be, what do you do when some one says you're demented?

1) Take a test to prove you aren't?

2) Ignore it?

Hans
I'd ignore it rather than give it more attention. But this is Trump. Don't expect 'normal'.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics