ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 25th July 2020, 12:11 PM   #241
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Assumes that Canada has drugs they are willing to sell to the USA. Seems to be poor policy to rely on another country for crucial drugs.
Worth mentioning, for example, that when Trump started hawking hydroxychloroquine, Canada rush ordered a stockpile for our autoimmune patients so they wouldn't run out due to American dysfunction.

ref: [Canada secures order for five million pills of anti-malaria medication eyed by U.S. as treatment]
Old 25th July 2020, 12:13 PM   #242
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Can you even get drugs from Canada with a prescription from USA?

A prescription issued to me by a doctor in Norway is only valid in Norway, and not even in EU/EEC countries.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 12:16 PM   #243
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Also, isn't this admitting that there are great advanatages to universal health care? They want to take advantage of the effects of Canada's health care system, but not do anything about their own?
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 12:18 PM   #244
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
"Door! Suit man! Go-car! Grassy! Gun man! Uppies! Chop-chopper! Sit-sit! Looky!" then someone hands him a plastic baggie of Cheerios to keep him quiet for the ride.
"Are you speaking German?"
"German? Jermaine! Jermaine Jackson! Jackson 5! Tito!"
- Brian Regan
Old 25th July 2020, 01:10 PM   #245
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Doofus. Imbecile. Moron. Simpleton. Ignoramus.
Lickspittle. Toady. Sycophant. Fluffer. Panderer. Coffee-boy.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 01:11 PM   #246
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
I think it's classified as a charitable contribution for tax purposes.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 01:12 PM   #247
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Liar. Liar. Liar. Liar. Liar.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 02:12 PM   #248
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Ingrate. Leaker. Traitor. Spy. Back-stabber. Jew.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150

Last edited by CapelDodger; 25th July 2020 at 02:13 PM.
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 02:37 PM   #249
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Suzie Slots
@SusanFarina6

I can absolutely relate, I have been a Democrat my whole life and this is the first year that I will be voting Republican across the line. Democrats are destroying our country and I refuse to be associated with it.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 02:37 PM   #250
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Why do you think they're hypocrites?

One of the founders was on a podcast I listen to a week or two ago, and his stance seemed pretty consistent. He was talking about the negative direction the Republican party had been going in for decades, and about how their mission wasn't just to wipe out Trump, but also Trumpism, and all the philosophies and groups that had changed the party to allow Trump to become president.
They're consistent with their contemporary 'get rid of Trump' position.

There's a link somewhere in the forum (probably in this thread) where they supported all the things they complain about when the POTUS was a previous Republican.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 02:38 PM   #251
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

One of the greats in the history of television, Regis Philbin has passed on to even greater airwaves, at 88. He was a fantastic person, and my friend. He kept telling me to run for President. Holds the record for “most live television”, and he did it well. Regis, we love you....

....And to Joy, his wonderful wife who he loved so much, my warmest condolences!!!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 02:45 PM   #252
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted

Suzie Slots
@SusanFarina6

I can absolutely relate, I have been a Democrat my whole life and this is the first year that I will be voting Republican across the line. Democrats are destroying our country and I refuse to be associated with it.
Fake. I don't believe Suzie Slots is real.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 02:54 PM   #253
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
They're consistent with their contemporary 'get rid of Trump' position.

There's a link somewhere in the forum (probably in this thread) where they supported all the things they complain about when the POTUS was a previous Republican.
This one?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...2#post13158982
Old 25th July 2020, 03:00 PM   #254
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Who are these 60,000 federal agents trump threatens to send across America?

That's like 3 whole Army Divisions.

Can you imagine the logistics involved?
Old 25th July 2020, 03:36 PM   #255
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post

A prescription issued to me by a doctor in Norway is only valid in Norway, and not even in EU/EEC countries.
People go to Canada from here for cheaper drugs, sometimes in busses. A doc on the Canadian side simply rewrites the prescription.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 03:38 PM   #256
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The Ronald Reagan Foundation demands the Trump campaign quit using Reagan’s image and likeness in Trump’s reelection campaign
Old 25th July 2020, 03:39 PM   #257
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump Retweeted

Suzie Slots
@SusanFarina6

I put these threads back in the correct order.

Is she even a real person?

Old 25th July 2020, 03:43 PM   #258
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

If it’s any consolation, the Robert E. Lee Foundation will probably give Trump their lifetime achievement award.
Old 25th July 2020, 03:44 PM   #259
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Thank you, yes that is the one.

Old 25th July 2020, 03:44 PM   #260
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

One of the greats in the history of television, Regis Philbin has passed on to even greater airwaves, at 88. He was a fantastic person, and my friend. He kept telling me to run for President. Holds the record for “most live television”, and he did it well. Regis, we love you....

....And to Joy, his wonderful wife who he loved so much, my warmest condolences!!!
I'm surprised he didn't say, "But I'm approaching that, don't you think?"
Old 25th July 2020, 03:52 PM   #261
SezMe
post-pre-born

Why do you think they're hypocrites?

One of the founders was on a podcast I listen to a week or two ago, and his stance seemed pretty consistent. He was talking about the negative direction the Republican party had been going in for decades, and about how their mission wasn't just to wipe out Trump, but also Trumpism, and all the philosophies and groups that had changed the party to allow Trump to become president.
Exactly so. This is a quote from an article in WaPo:

Quote:
If we are ever again to have a sane and sober center-right party in America — something we desperately need — then the Trumpified GOP must first be demolished. That is what the Lincoln Project is trying to accomplish, and more power to it. By leading the charge against the Republican Party, its founders have shown greater fealty to conservative principles than 99 percent of elected Republicans.
The Lincoln Project founders are still Republican, where "Republican" means something like a Reagan Republican or a Eisenhower Republican. They correctly see the current GOP as hopelessly irredeemable and are aiming to destroy it so that a reasonable GOP can rise from the ashes.

I support this concept. We do need a center-right party in the USA. Sadly, none exists at the present time. This effort, if successful, might be the only good to arise out of Trumpism.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 03:56 PM   #262
SezMe
post-pre-born

It depends on what the executive orders actually are. There was that twitter executive order a little while back that basically said and did nothing, for example.
Well, this one has real teeth and major progress to show for it (from tweet quoted above):
Quote:
President @realDonaldTrump announces that as a result of the Executive Orders he is signing today, "the heads of the major drug companies have requested a meeting to discuss how we can quickly and significantly lower drug prices and out-of-pocket expenses.”
What more could you ask for than a request for a meeting? <-- a ton of these.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 04:06 PM   #263
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Assumes that Canada has drugs they are willing to sell to the USA. Seems to be poor policy to rely on another country for crucial drugs.
Assuming they do, what's to stop the Canucks, once they have the USA by the short and curlies, from jacking the export price to whatever level they want to.
Old 25th July 2020, 04:08 PM   #264
SezMe
post-pre-born

Trump Retweeted

Suzie Slots
@SusanFarina6

Suzie Slots? Can't the Russian trolls do any better than that?
Old 25th July 2020, 04:13 PM   #265
Belz...
Fiend God

Trump Retweeted

One of the few decent things he's said in recent decades.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 04:28 PM   #266
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
The Ronald Reagan Foundation demands the Trump campaign quit using Reagan’s image and likeness in Trump’s reelection campaign
Apparently, the publisher and CEO of the Washington Post is the chairman of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation. He also used to be Reagan's chief of staff. Let's again whine a little about the huge pro-Democratic bias of the Post.
Old 25th July 2020, 04:37 PM   #267
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Well, this one has real teeth and major progress to show for it (from tweet quoted above):

What more could you ask for than a request for a meeting? <-- a ton of these.
You've missed the significance of this. Trump has humbled the super-powerful drug companies by forcing them into this meeting, which they really didn't want to have because they know they'll be facing off against the greatest deal-maker in the history of the entire world and he'll screw them good. Only Trump could have done that.

Old 25th July 2020, 04:55 PM   #268
Dread Pirate Roberts
Thinker

She has tweets back to May and a Facebook page. She appears to think COVID isn't a big deal and has been wanting to reopen NJ for months.

She's real enough I think. Whether or not she's a life long Dem turned GOP, who really knows.
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 04:55 PM   #269
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Trump Retweeted

Suzie Slots
@SusanFarina6

One of those life long Democrats who was giving campaign contributions to a Republican candidate for U.S. Senate in 2006.
Old 25th July 2020, 04:56 PM   #270
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Trump
The heads of the major drug companies have requested a meeting to discuss how we can quickly and significantly lower drug prices and out-of-pocket expenses.
Yes, these guys requested a meeting because now they want to quickly and significantly lower drug prices. Sir, if you’re going to make ***** up, why not go all the way and say “The car makers want to quickly and significantly lower car prices so they requested a meeting. And appliance makers want to quickly and .. yadda yadda.”
Old 25th July 2020, 05:07 PM   #271
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Suzie Slots? Can't the Russian trolls do any better than that?
My troll radar went off big time. Take a look at her FB page. About the only thing on there is picture after picture of her 'updated profile picture' and people telling her how gorgeous she is.

https://www.facebook.com/susan.farina.3
Old 25th July 2020, 05:18 PM   #272
Steve
Philosopher

Assuming they do, what's to stop the Canucks, once they have the USA by the short and curlies, from jacking the export price to whatever level they want to.
Implied in my second sentence that you quoted.
Old 25th July 2020, 05:24 PM   #273
slyjoe
Master Poster

So Canada has 8x production capacity just sitting idle?
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 05:43 PM   #274
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
So Canada has 8x production capacity just sitting idle?
Nope. They just buy from the same multinational factories as the USA. They just regulate the price.
In the USA, preventing huge companies with a monopoly from price gouging is "socialism". Pretty soon someone will be explaining that to Trump and he'll be backtracking.
Old 25th July 2020, 05:52 PM   #275
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Nope. They just buy from the same multinational factories as the USA. They just regulate the price.
In the USA, preventing huge companies with a monopoly from price gouging is "socialism". Pretty soon someone will be explaining that to Trump and he'll be backtracking.
Aah - thanks.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 05:54 PM   #276
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

My troll radar went off big time. Take a look at her FB page. About the only thing on there is picture after picture of her 'updated profile picture' and people telling her how gorgeous she is.

https://www.facebook.com/susan.farina.3
Her Twitter is a mix of “REOPEN NAOW!” Posts (which have a high bot rate) combined with some artificial-flavored #walkaway juice.

Not a great impression.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 06:28 PM   #277
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
One of the few decent things he's said in recent decades.
Did you miss the "retweeted" part?

Old 25th July 2020, 06:31 PM   #278
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
She has tweets back to May and a Facebook page. She appears to think COVID isn't a big deal and has been wanting to reopen NJ for months.

She's real enough I think. Whether or not she's a life long Dem turned GOP, who really knows.
Gee, she appeared on the scene in May with a ludicrous claim. Nope, nothing suspicious there.

Old 25th July 2020, 06:33 PM   #279
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
And actually, they also buy from manufacturers with US plants making the drugs Canada buys.

Old 25th July 2020, 06:37 PM   #280
Belz...
Fiend God

Did you miss the "retweeted" part?
It's not a retweet.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics