ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags language , racial slurs , racism issues , semantics , Stephen Hagan

Old 24th July 2020, 02:34 AM   #41
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
You ignored me saying I can't help feeling that way. Tried not to for about 40 years.
I actually thought your post was a joke, or at least a wind up.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 02:34 AM   #42
Belz...
Fiend God

You ignored me saying I can't help feeling that way. Tried not to for about 40 years.
I didn't ignore it. I'm pointing out that it's a stupid feeling.

It's like feeling guilty for enjoying sunsets or for having a good inheritance.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 02:40 AM   #43
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I didn't ignore it. I'm pointing out that it's a stupid feeling.

It's like feeling guilty for enjoying sunsets or for having a good inheritance.
Shaming me, and now my feelings are stupid.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 02:43 AM   #44
Belz...
Fiend God

Shaming me, and now my feelings are stupid.
Don't feel bad. We all get stupid feelings from time to time. Like being scared of heights or elevators, etc.

The point is that feeling guilty for something you have nothing to do with is silly. Don't you agree?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 02:45 AM   #45
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Tbf I felt a tinge of guilt about gravity a few days ago
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 02:52 AM   #46
PursuedByABear
Thinker

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Fair call

Wasn't on my OE in England in the 70's, but I certainly didn't here it once in the ten years there in the 90's
You know why you didn't hear it? Because it is regarded as incredibly offensive.
PursuedByABear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 03:02 AM   #47
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by PursuedByABear View Post
You know why you didn't hear it? Because it is regarded as incredibly offensive.
Do you have a kind of inbuilt need to be patronising?

No. The racist scum I meet just used other words.

I am becoming increasingly sick of you making stuff up I have said or pretending to no my experiences.

Again

Please stop.

Old 24th July 2020, 03:04 AM   #48
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I have been nice and polite in this exchange. I expect the same in return from now on.

Old 24th July 2020, 03:16 AM   #49
TofuFighter
Master Poster

I have been nice and polite in this exchange. I expect the same in return from now on.
Oh cullennz... you know very well when you're being subtly antagonistic for the sake of it. It's just something antipodians love doing. We both know you join these threads to throw shade on social justice things you don't agree with. :P
Old 24th July 2020, 03:22 AM   #50
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Think you are reading too much into it.

I have just said it is stupid to re brand when it is just the last name of the company.

But I don't own the company so all good.

People keep trying to fit agendas into this stuff.

To the point of inventing quotes and assuming things and it is getting a tad silly.

Old 24th July 2020, 03:35 AM   #51
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Just having a quick Google it apparently is the anglosised version of the Scottish name MacCoon which they changed to when they left.

Which doubles up on how stupid it is.
I'm sure if the founder had been a German immigrant who'd anglosised his family's name from Kuntz they'd have changed it already.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 03:36 AM   #52
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I'm sure if the founder had been a German immigrant who'd anglosised his family's name from Kuntz they'd have changed it already.

Old 24th July 2020, 03:40 AM   #53
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
Oh cullennz... you know very well when you're being subtly antagonistic for the sake of it. It's just something antipodians love doing. We both know you join these threads to throw shade on social justice things you don't agree with. :P
Tbf there is probably a tinge of truth to that. But it's the whole hyper sensitive thing is a bit alien here and it gets a bit odd to me.

I apologise.

Old 24th July 2020, 03:42 AM   #54
TofuFighter
Master Poster

It's not 'just the last name of the company owner' though. Yes, that's its origin from a time and a place where it might not have been as offensive as it is now, or a time when enough people cared that it might be offensive, but the word itself is not firmly in the book of 'things people find offensive'. You know that.

No one names their child Adolf anymore* for exactly the same reason, and that's because there is a clear and horrible association with it. If my last name was ***** and i started a business under that name 100 years ago and now people suggested i should probably change it, you would you argue i shouldn't? Maybe, but that's your choice. Personally I think I'd be happy to change it to something else given that there are potentially millions of people it could cause actual hurt to.

*obviously not NO-one, but you know what i mean.

Last edited by TofuFighter; 24th July 2020 at 03:43 AM. Reason: edit - the asterisked word is the N word igga. My point is defeated by the masking.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 03:47 AM   #55
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
It's not 'just the last name of the company owner' though. Yes, that's its origin from a time and a place where it might not have been as offensive as it is now, or a time when enough people cared that it might be offensive, but the word itself is not firmly in the book of 'things people find offensive'. You know that.

No one names their child Adolf anymore* for exactly the same reason, and that's because there is a clear and horrible association with it. If my last name was ***** and i started a business under that name 100 years ago and now people suggested i should probably change it, you would you argue i shouldn't? Maybe, but that's your choice. Personally I think I'd be happy to change it to something else given that there are potentially millions of people it could cause actual hurt to.

*obviously not NO-one, but you know what i mean.
2 things

Do you want everyone in the world with the last name Coon to change their names as it is offensive.

And

Hitler while rare is still a current surname

Old 24th July 2020, 04:04 AM   #56
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Put it this way.

What if Hitler first name was "Dave"

"Dave Hitler"

Dave may never be used. It is a ***** name.

With Adolf

Is Adolph ok?

Adolfo?

Do people with Hiedler last name need changing as that is the history

Or Huttlier

Old 24th July 2020, 04:11 AM   #57
RedStapler
Critical Thinker

2 things

Do you want everyone in the world with the last name Coon to change their names as it is offensive.

And

Hitler while rare is still a current surname
LOL, the typical strawman of right wingers...
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 04:13 AM   #58
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by RedStapler View Post
Lol. Tbf that was a throw in for a laugh

Old 24th July 2020, 04:17 AM   #59
Belz...
Fiend God

Ad hominem.

Should all Coons change their name or not?

Old 24th July 2020, 04:18 AM   #60
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

What it does mean though.

Is the easily triggered from the left or right should write down all sensitive surnames. So young entrepreneurs can make sure they name things the right way and not their surname.

Old 24th July 2020, 04:19 AM   #61
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

If they can't call it Coon Cheese, they need a different name.

Coon Aged Pressed Milk Whey?

...not quite the same ring to it...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 04:21 AM   #62
RedStapler
Critical Thinker

Ad hominem.

Should all Coons change their name or not?
A statement of fact.

Nobody proposed that people named Coon should change their name. Hence my post
RedStapler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 04:23 AM   #63
RedStapler
Critical Thinker

What it does mean though.

Is the easily triggered from the left or right should write down all sensitive surnames. So young entrepreneurs can make sure they name things the right way and not their surname.
Well, you created this thread, so why did this whole thing about name changes trigger you so much?

Last edited by RedStapler; 24th July 2020 at 04:24 AM.
Old 24th July 2020, 04:24 AM   #64
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

A statement of fact.

Nobody proposed that people named Coon should change their name. Hence my post
So it is just because the name is on a label.

Old 24th July 2020, 04:25 AM   #65
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Well, you created this thread, so why did this whole thing about name changes trigger you so much?
Um. Might want to re look at that.

I created jack

Last edited by cullennz; 24th July 2020 at 04:26 AM.
Old 24th July 2020, 04:25 AM   #66
RedStapler
Critical Thinker

So it is just because the name is on a label.
More strawmen.
Old 24th July 2020, 04:27 AM   #67
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

What did I get wrong? You are clearly triggered.
I didn't create the thread

Old 24th July 2020, 04:28 AM   #68
Belz...
Fiend God

A statement of fact.
You are confusing opinions with facts.

Quote:
Nobody proposed that people named Coon should change their name.
I'm not saying they did. I asked you a simple question.

Old 24th July 2020, 04:29 AM   #69
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

More strawmen.
Is a surname less offensive if a person has it and calls themselves it; than if is a business that has it for a product and calls it the surname?

Last edited by cullennz; 24th July 2020 at 04:32 AM.
Old 24th July 2020, 04:30 AM   #70
RedStapler
Critical Thinker

You are confusing opinions with facts.

I'm not saying they did. I asked you a simple question.
Since no one was proposing family name changes, why would you ask such an irrelevant question?
Old 24th July 2020, 04:40 AM   #71
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

She ain't hard RedStapler

But will.simplify.

Coon last name becomes a brand . This word becomes a racist slur.

This is now a horrible racist term.

What happens to every one else with the surname Coon?

If one starts a business and needs to name it....

Should they change their names or go with their first name

Adolph. Oh crap that might be linked to the biggy.

Let's try the middle.

Mao

Old 24th July 2020, 04:41 AM   #72
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Can you put this cheese on crackers? If so, they should change the name to "Cracker Cheese".
Old 24th July 2020, 04:47 AM   #73
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post

Or " Fuchs "..

I knew a guy, a Catholic priest actually named " Fuchs " ..

He pronounced it " Fox ".. Father Fox..
Old 24th July 2020, 04:55 AM   #74
gypsyjackson
Muse

...Anyway, I was really surprised to see a product with the word ‘Coon’ on the shelves a couple of years ago (having never seen it anywhere before). It’s one of those things which comes like a slap in the face.

Didn’t stop me buying it to taste, as I guessed it wasn’t an intentional racist slur (mind you, I live in a country that thought it was ok to have a racist toothpaste https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darlie ). Only bought Coon cheese once because Bega is nicer and about 20% cheaper.

But if Australia gets a trade deal involving cheese with the US, the UK, and I guess Canada, it’s going to be mad to have it as your brand if it is innocent. Change it now to save yourself hassle later.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 04:57 AM   #75
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Or " Fuchs "..

I knew a guy, a Catholic priest actually named " Fuchs " ..

He pronounced it " Fox ".. Father Fox..
How dare someone steal our way of saying fish

It is fush's and chups people.

Not this fake "c" thing!

Old 24th July 2020, 05:16 AM   #76
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
...Anyway, I was really surprised to see a product with the word ‘Coon’ on the shelves a couple of years ago (having never seen it anywhere before). It’s one of those things which comes like a slap in the face.

Didn’t stop me buying it to taste, as I guessed it wasn’t an intentional racist slur (mind you, I live in a country that thought it was ok to have a racist toothpaste https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darlie ). Only bought Coon cheese once because Bega is nicer and about 20% cheaper.

But if Australia gets a trade deal involving cheese with the US, the UK, and I guess Canada, it’s going to be mad to have it as your brand if it is innocent. Change it now to save yourself hassle later.
I was surprised to see faggots in the English frozen food section.

It wasn't world changing

It is pretty simple.

How far do the offended want to go?

Names of products. If yes, that's OK. But Please provide list.

Last edited by cullennz; 24th July 2020 at 05:17 AM.
Old 24th July 2020, 05:17 AM   #77
Belz...
Fiend God

They shouldn't sell crackers in grocery stores.

Old 24th July 2020, 05:29 AM   #78
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Opal Fruit
Datsun
Marathon
Oil of Ulay
Dime
Immac
Jif
Mostly marketing decisions to align product names from region to region.

Is one still allowed to have been someone who nags people?

What do catapillars turn into butterflies in?

All this is, in my opinion, bollocks. This is all just lip service to enable some to ignore that systemic changes are required to address issues of race. Changing the name of things based in racist perception (Washington sports teams, for example) is one thing. Changing language because it vaguley sounds like a racist term is simply a feelgood action that attempts to paper over cracks.

Change laws, change perceptions, change actions. Changing names and words because they might sound vaguley like something else is not what's required.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 05:39 AM   #79
Red Baron Farms
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Certainly not. But unless you are going to educated the entire world that the cheese was named after the guy's last name, and not a racial slur, it could probably increase sales to change the name. Bottom line always comes first. However, a change to something like Mr. Coon's cheese might be enough to get people off your back, especially if in includes a stylalised logo similar to KFC's Colonel Sanders.

PS. I really feel bad for unfortunate people who happen to be named Karen right now. How horrible for you to be innocently named a sweet name once upon a time and suddenly find that your name becomes a racist slur years later. Or in this case even worse, a racist slur for anti-racist racists!......: insanity
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management

Last edited by Red Baron Farms; 24th July 2020 at 05:43 AM.
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 05:47 AM   #80
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Mostly marketing decisions
...snip...

Which is what the thread is about....

Are you equally up in arms that I now have to ask for Starburst rather than opal fruits?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events