ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags language , racial slurs , racism issues , semantics , Stephen Hagan

Old 25th July 2020, 03:10 AM   #241
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Edited by Agatha:  Edited to remove reference to material sent to AAH

I can see how this will stop eventually for example some low level schoolyard racism. Surely that alone is worth it?

Last edited by Agatha; 30th July 2020 at 07:35 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 03:15 AM   #242
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Darat View Post

I can see how this will stop eventually for example some low level schoolyard racism. Surely that alone is worth it?
Because it is tokenism
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by Agatha; 30th July 2020 at 07:36 AM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 03:17 AM   #243
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Actually. Do you mind explaining how it stops school yard racism?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 03:21 AM   #244
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Look at all this boomer Facebook salt:
https://www.facebook.com/18270081408...954832864/?d=n

Most of us would not have noticed a brand of bog standard cheddar having a new name. No one cares more about this like ridiculous reactionaries.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 03:22 AM   #245
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
It doesn’t.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 03:27 AM   #246
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

It doesn't - but it does give some people who love to complain and blame others for their failures a chance to feel good about their otherwise useless existence.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 03:28 AM   #247
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I'm actually not sure if Aus has school yard racism. Or here.is it because of cheese?

Old 25th July 2020, 03:29 AM   #248
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post

Most of us would not have noticed a brand of bog standard cheddar having a new name. No one cares more about this like ridiculous reactionaries.
The impact on north-west NSW is????

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 03:31 AM   #249
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
It doesn't - but it does give some people who love to complain and blame others for their failures a chance to feel good about their otherwise useless existence.
Don’t be so hard on the boomers.
Old 25th July 2020, 03:32 AM   #250
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
The impact on north-west NSW is????
You can’t by a block of cheddar with a racist name anymore? Maybe they could sell it with a blue sharpie?
Old 25th July 2020, 03:34 AM   #251
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Because it is tokenism
Why do you claim that?
Old 25th July 2020, 03:35 AM   #252
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I didn't say that.
Old 25th July 2020, 03:36 AM   #253
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

The same people getting salty about the brand name of a boring block of cheddar also have been sharing “All lives matter” bollocks of Facebook.
Old 25th July 2020, 03:40 AM   #254
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I have been astonished over about the last 8 weeks of the number of (and I don't think I've ever used it seriously before) "snowflakes" there are, the anger and upset small changes are causing is astonishing. The sense of entitlement is unbelievable, the conservatism totally out of proportion to actual changes or even proposed changes is off the scale.
Old 25th July 2020, 03:43 AM   #255
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I didn't say that.
OK. How does it stop some low level school yard racism by changing a brand name

Old 25th July 2020, 03:46 AM   #256
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

OK. How does it stop some low level school yard racism by changing a brand name
A typical example would be a group of kids saying "coon" rather loudly then "cheese is great" when someone they consider a "coon" walks by. Or asking in a home economics class "Sir is COON cheese really good?"

If you've never experienced such type of school yard racism/bullying then you are I suspect in a minority, or rather in the majority.
Old 25th July 2020, 03:46 AM   #257
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

The same people getting salty about the brand name of a boring block of cheddar also have been sharing “All lives matter” bollocks of Facebook.
Yeah? And this has what relevance to this thread?

Okay, celebrate this shallow victory. Good show.

What impact does this name change make? Apart from making some white Australians feel comfortably smug...

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by Agatha; 30th July 2020 at 07:38 AM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 03:46 AM   #258
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I have been astonished over about the last 8 weeks of the number of (and I don't think I've ever used it seriously before) "snowflakes" there are, the anger and upset small changes are causing is astonishing. The sense of entitlement is unbelievable, the conservatism totally out of proportion to actual changes or even proposed changes is off the scale.
Changing branding of a 100 year old company is small changes?

Cool

Old 25th July 2020, 03:48 AM   #259
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

What impact does this name change make? Apart from making some white Australians feel comfortably smug...
What a great example - the guy who has been quoted and mentioned several times is unimportant... only how it impacts white Australians is important to you.

Last edited by Agatha; 30th July 2020 at 07:38 AM.
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 03:48 AM   #260
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

A typical example would be a group of kids saying "coon" rather loudly then "cheese is great" when someone they consider a "coon" walks by. Or asking in a home economics class "Sir is COON cheese really good?"

If you've never experienced such type of school yard racism/bullying then you are I suspect in a minority, or rather in the majority.
Of course I have. But it never once was over a piece of food

Old 25th July 2020, 03:55 AM   #261
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

What a great example - the guy who has been quoted and mentioned several times is unimportant... only how it impacts white Australians is important to you.
Another lie. I never said Hagan was unimportant. And the impact of the name change on white Australians is of no importance to me.

Again, pointless tokenism is what I’m highlighting. It’s easy to imagine people saying “good, Coon has changed its name, mission accomplished” while ignoring real issues indigenous are facing.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 25th July 2020, 03:56 AM   #262
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Changing branding of a 100 year old company is small changes?

Cool
Yep - it requires some new artwork and new printing screens to be produced - and you have to do this regularly anyway so slot it in at the next change over of the packaging being printed. New ads would have had new artwork generated anyway so instead of the old logo/name being reproduced you use the new one.

There is of course some cost to the company - in the design and selection of a new logo, deciding the new name.

The smart decision would of course be to keep everything the same apart from the name - literally edit out the "coon" and type in your new name, using same font, colours and so on. Most people will see it as the same product and probably wouldn't even notice the name had changed.
Old 25th July 2020, 03:57 AM   #263
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Of course I have. But it never once was over a piece of food
And? Was "Coon cheese" a popular well known cheese when you were growing up, was "coon" used as a racial insult when you were growing up?
Old 25th July 2020, 04:00 AM   #264
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Meanwhile indigenous death rates, imprisonment, unemployment, choose your metric, roll on. What impact does this name change make? Apart from making some white Australians feel comfortably smug...
Who is celebrating? The Aboriginal man who petitioned each of the new owners of this brand trademark over two decades? Yeah good for him but I bet he has already moved on. No one would be talking about this but for all the reactionary tears.

That dumb “I don’t find this name offensive” Facebook post is approaching 85,000 shares. Thats a lot of salt.
Old 25th July 2020, 04:05 AM   #265
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

People have and still are been doing something you confess to not be able to do.
Evidence?
Old 25th July 2020, 04:06 AM   #266
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Don’t be so hard on the boomers.
"Boomers" was what Rolf Harris called kangaroos in his Christmas song. Is he some sort of hero and role model for you?

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 04:10 AM   #267
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
"Boomers" was what Rolf Harris called kangaroos in his Christmas song. Is he some sort of hero and role model for you?
Old 25th July 2020, 04:12 AM   #268
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

...snip...
There is of course some cost to the company - in the design and selection of a new logo, deciding the new name.

...snip....
Perhaps "Cone" or "Qoon"....
Old 25th July 2020, 04:23 AM   #269
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

And? Was "Coon cheese" a popular well known cheese when you were growing up, was "coon" used as a racial insult when you were growing up?
No.

This doesn't exclude me from thinking it is pointless

Old 25th July 2020, 04:31 AM   #270
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

A childhood icon and reminder of my hope and optimism is cast on the trash heap to be quickly forgotten. A new generation will have their own cheese brands. Perhaps, God forbid, they wont even care for the joy of factory processed cheddar made from real cows milk? A brave new world without me and that cares nothing of the comforting symbols of my childhood. It’s a right existential crisis.
Old 25th July 2020, 04:33 AM   #271
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Evidence?
The loads of people who buy and just eat the cheese.

Or do you think everyone who buys it and eats it is racist?

Old 25th July 2020, 04:47 AM   #272
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

But since that is not the topic of this thread and no one but you has mentioned this comparison perhaps we should get back to the topic of this thread - which to remind you is that there is a brand of cheese which has for its name a word that some people say is a racist word meant to insult a certain section of the population.

One assumes (and yes I could be wrong) given your posts in this thread that you aren't concerned about that? Is that correct?

Last edited by Agatha; 30th July 2020 at 07:43 AM.
Old 25th July 2020, 04:50 AM   #273
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
It's quite a remarkable what effect Coon Cheese has on people, isn't it.
Well some. Have you ever brought any?

Old 25th July 2020, 04:55 AM   #274
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

And I just might. It will not attract the attention of the name of a brand of cheese.
It won’t ride a salty reactionary Facebook wave that is for sure.
Old 25th July 2020, 05:01 AM   #275
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Tbf cheese is a personal thing.

A bloke once threw a block of cheddar at me for no reason.

I thought. Hey that's not mature.

Old 25th July 2020, 05:02 AM   #276
Belz...
Fiend God

It won’t ride a salty reactionary Facebook wave that is for sure.
Repeating the word "reactionary" all the time isn't making much of a point. It's really an ad hominem.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 05:11 AM   #277
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Repeating the word "reactionary" all the time isn't making much of a point. It's really an ad hominem.
It’s descriptive of the overblown reaction to a supermarket cheddar changing its name.

Old 25th July 2020, 05:19 AM   #278
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Come on people. I know it was a grandad joke but it's funny still......or stilton

Old 25th July 2020, 05:33 AM   #279
Belz...
Fiend God

It’s descriptive of the overblown reaction to a supermarket cheddar changing its name.

"I don't find it racist" is overblown?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 05:59 AM   #280
angrysoba
Philosophile

Someone suggested renaming it Goon, but that's going to cause massive issues. Imagine when some old guy tells his wife to go out and buy him some Goon and she comes back with a slab of cheese, instead of his box of wine!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events