ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th July 2020, 12:57 PM   #1
Fellow Traveler
Master Poster

Unintended result of wearing a mask

I go into stores mask on and the women all are so friendly and I figured out they can't tell if I'm smiling or not and vice versa. So they cya friendly.
Old 25th July 2020, 01:27 PM   #2
Venom
Illuminator

Widespread mask usage is quite an interesting social experiment.

People tend to focus on the brow ridge or infraorbital, upper cheek area to assess your emotional state. It gets more complicated when you wear thick-rimmed eyeglasses or even worse sunglasses.

Similarly with a facemask covering the nose and mouth you have only half the picture.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 12:08 AM   #3
autumn1971
Illuminator

I work retail. It’s fairly easy to tell if someone is smiling without seeing their lower face.

A caveat: they usually speak which really does reveal what their mouth is doing. You can hear the difference of a voice when a person is smiling.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 01:38 AM   #4
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fellow Traveler View Post
I go into stores mask on and the women all are so friendly and I figured out they can't tell if I'm smiling or not and vice versa. So they cya friendly.
I thought this was the start of an “u so ugly” thread, but decided against it
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 05:04 AM   #5
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Oddly enough, I sometimes feel more facially expressive when wearing the mask. Normally I'm pretty reserved and stoic. Now I know I have to communicate though my eyes and body language, and it's harder to avoid someone's gaze when they have one on also.
Old 26th July 2020, 09:31 AM   #6
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
I thought this was the start of an “u so ugly” thread, but decided against it
Yo mama's so ugly, the mask can't hide it!
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 11:18 AM   #7
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

A local restaurant that we have been ordering takeout from at least twice a week for the past 3 years recently re-opened after being closed for several months. There is always a wait of 30-45 minutes between phone order and pickup so when I walked in for the first time in months and this time wearing a mask, Becky the cashier freaked out when she saw me and ran outside. When she came back in I said what was up with that? She said “I just gave your order to the wrong man and he just drove away - he looked just like you”. I asked was he wearing a mask and she said yes and I said of course he looked like me. We all look like me.
Old 26th July 2020, 12:02 PM   #8
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I like to imagine that behind everyone's mask they are holding something between their teeth. A pacifier, a pearl onion, a glove of garlic, a Barbie's head.
Old 26th July 2020, 12:05 PM   #9
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I like to imagine that behind everyone's mask they are holding something between their teeth. A pacifier, a pearl onion, a glove of garlic, a Barbie's head.
A ball gag...

Though we've tried this and a dark mask is recommended to conceal the drool.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 12:17 PM   #10
dann
Penultimate Amazing

How come nobody's put face masks on their avatars yet?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 01:29 PM   #11
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

I love not having to smile at men. The smile women learn to do, not because they're friendly, but because they don't want men to hurt them.

I found myself acting in a way I wouldn't have, had I not been wearing a mask. It was surprising to me. Empowering. The incident involved a man cutting in front of me in a line. I was waiting to pick up food I'd ordered over the phone. There were two people in front of me in the line. I just needed to pay and get the food in my hands. I thought it best to just stand in the line, on the marked squares for social distancing, rather than try and ask about what to do. I'd been in line not a minute when a man came up, and instead of waiting at the square behind me, decided to wait behind the woman who was ahead of me. I was stewing - could he really be cutting!? - but decided to wait until the restaurant employee came out to call the next guest before acting. When that happened, the man was addressed first by the employee, with the man telling the employee he was picking up food. "HE'S AFTER ME." I called out. It was a clear incident of a man thinking he was more important - we had the exact circumstances, but he thought himself more important than me and that he didn't have to wait to ask about his food.

The employee asked my name and called me in for my food. I didn't look at the cutter. I just walked by him. That was pretty huge. If I hadn't been wearing the mask, I would have done some half-assed apologetic smile and said 'excuse me' or whatever female-instinctual thing I normally would have done. But that mask. I had some protection. I just barged ahead. AS I SHOULD HAVE.

When I walked out, I did the same thing, right past him, no eye contact. NO SMILE.

Then when I sat in the parking lot to eat my food, I kept checking to make sure he didn't see me, because while the mask can prevent some regular female habits, it didn't stop me from fearing the man was going to come out and hurt me for having been assertive.

Hey guys, don't think this is unique to this one particular woman.

I was high on that exchange for hours, and talked to my therapist about it later. I didn't smile! I was so forward! Thank f***ing god.

So many wins just walking around with a mask, so many occasions to keep my eyes forward and not offer the smile that men tell me I should give them.

*Parrot Mason's mask courtesy of alfaniner*
MoeFaux is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 01:32 PM   #12
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Originally Posted by dann View Post
alfaniner was the first pioneer of this!

MoeFaux is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 01:37 PM   #13
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I see it as a way of leveling the playing field. No nobody else can read facial expressions either. I think it is a learning disability if mine.
Old 26th July 2020, 01:38 PM   #14
Venom
Illuminator

Covering the mouth, chin, and the upper cheek with a mask serves almost as a layer of security for me as well.

I don't want people reading me sometimes, even during fairly mundane activities like grocery shopping.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 01:41 PM   #15
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Would this be OK:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Facemask.jpg (45.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 26th July 2020, 03:15 PM   #16
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Yo mama's so ugly, the mask can't hide it!
Yo mama’s so ugly, the mask put a mask on her.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 06:48 PM   #17
Joe Random
Master Poster

I'm a completely asocial prick, but with all the stress on everyone I've tried to find a way to communicate socially with others all masked up. Enter Belter sign language : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...XDFyFqH0k/edit

Stay calm, unte kowlting gonya gut, beratnas.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 07:05 PM   #18
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MoeFaux View Post
alfaniner was the first pioneer of this!
I honestly don't know if I was the first, but I know I was right in there! Thanks for acknowledging it!

(just for that... here. Best I could do in a couple minutes.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moefauxavatarm.jpg (10.7 KB, 339 views)

Last edited by alfaniner; 26th July 2020 at 07:15 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 08:00 PM   #19
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Challenge accepted...

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 11:11 PM   #20
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Because I haven't had to wear one yet.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th July 2020, 11:28 PM   #21
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I love not having to smile at men. The smile women learn to do, not because they're friendly, but because they don't want men to hurt them.
I've been saying for some considerable time that my gender sickens me.

You're not helping.

It's something blokes will never understand, because not only have I never felt threatened by a woman, I don't think it's possible I could be.

Sad fucking world we've created.
Old 26th July 2020, 11:37 PM   #22
Planigale
Illuminator

No one?
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2020, 12:10 AM   #23
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Talking

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I honestly don't know if I was the first, but I know I was right in there! Thanks for acknowledging it!

(just for that... here. Best I could do in a couple minutes.)
Hah! Thank you!

Old 27th July 2020, 12:31 AM   #24
Venom
Illuminator

Everybody's on the defensive when the masks are on.
Old 27th July 2020, 03:35 PM   #25
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

I found myself acting in a way I wouldn't have, had I not been wearing a mask. It was surprising to me. Empowering. The incident involved a man cutting in front of me in a line. I was waiting to pick up food I'd ordered over the phone. There were two people in front of me in the line. I just needed to pay and get the food in my hands. I thought it best to just stand in the line, on the marked squares for social distancing, rather than try and ask about what to do. I'd been in line not a minute when a man came up, and instead of waiting at the square behind me, decided to wait behind the woman who was ahead of me. I was stewing - could he really be cutting!? - but decided to wait until the restaurant employee came out to call the next guest before acting. When that happened, the man was addressed first by the employee, with the man telling the employee he was picking up food. "HE'S AFTER ME." I called out. It was a clear incident of a man thinking he was more important - we had the exact circumstances, but he thought himself more important than me and that he didn't have to wait to ask about his food.

The employee asked my name and called me in for my food. I didn't look at the cutter. I just walked by him. That was pretty huge. If I hadn't been wearing the mask, I would have done some half-assed apologetic smile and said 'excuse me' or whatever female-instinctual thing I normally would have done. But that mask. I had some protection. I just barged ahead. AS I SHOULD HAVE.

When I walked out, I did the same thing, right past him, no eye contact. NO SMILE.

Then when I sat in the parking lot to eat my food, I kept checking to make sure he didn't see me, because while the mask can prevent some regular female habits, it didn't stop me from fearing the man was going to come out and hurt me for having been assertive.

Hey guys, don't think this is unique to this one particular woman.

I was high on that exchange for hours, and talked to my therapist about it later. I didn't smile! I was so forward! Thank f***ing god.

So many wins just walking around with a mask, so many occasions to keep my eyes forward and not offer the smile that men tell me I should give them.
I haven't been out and about much, but I am so going to do this. I think I've got a contact high from this anecdote!
Old 27th July 2020, 03:39 PM   #26
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I've been saying for some considerable time that my gender sickens me.
Don't be sickened by your gender. Just don't be a douche. I think you're doing fine.
Old 27th July 2020, 03:42 PM   #27
p0lka
Master Poster

I like how I can mouth out loud 'hhhh ******* idiot' and no one can lip read me.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2020, 04:09 PM   #28
StillSleepy
Muse

Errr.... Uhhh.... Hmmm.... I'll have to get back to you on that one...

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2020, 06:35 PM   #29
Pope130
Illuminator

Something like this?:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 422c591c6c6cab487b2fff1e66c2363a.jpg (49.5 KB, 9 views)
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2020, 06:36 PM   #30
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
Something like this?:
Putting a mask on a machine is just absurd.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2020, 07:26 PM   #31
deadrose
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Putting a mask on a machine is just absurd.
Have you so quickly forgotten car bras?
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2020, 07:56 PM   #32
Venom
Illuminator

I'm going to try to wear a mask and shades just to see how people react.
Old 27th July 2020, 10:13 PM   #33
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
...and red noses?

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2020, 05:57 AM   #34
Wudang
BOFH

Ahem!
Old 28th July 2020, 05:57 AM   #35
Armitage72
Illuminator

I would, but there wouldn't be any point. I uploaded an avatar ages ago, but it doesn't show up. As far as I can tell, it meets all of the requirements, and it shows up on my profile, but it's not on any of my posts.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2020, 06:04 AM   #36
Wudang
BOFH

No that’s a profile pic, not your avatar. I don’t know why we have both.
Old 28th July 2020, 06:09 AM   #37
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
E-freaking-gads, I hate those things. I have a friend with a reasonably nice car and he put a "bra" on it. I asked, "Why, was the front starting to sag a little or something?" He replied, "It's to protect the paint, dummy." "Really, what's protecting the paint from the bra? That thing isn't 100% stationary, it moves and flexes and gets dirt under it, that's scratching the paint more than any bug or regular dirt ever will." He was shocked to find out how right I was when he took it off once to give the car a good cleaning one day. Now the bra is a permanent feature to hide the damage it did.
Old 28th July 2020, 06:27 AM   #38
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I cycled to the local pharmacy yesterday to pick up my regular prescription. I forgot to take off my cycle helmet and I wear glasses, so with the surgical mask practically nothing above my neck was visible. The assistant asked who was the prescription for, and I had to try very hard not to say, "What, don't you recognize me?"

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2020, 06:32 AM   #39
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

People attending these protests are pretty grateful that concealed faces are the norm.
Old 28th July 2020, 06:32 AM   #40
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
E-freaking-gads, I hate those things. I have a friend with a reasonably nice car and he put a "bra" on it. I asked, "Why, was the front starting to sag a little or something?" He replied, "It's to protect the paint, dummy." "Really, what's protecting the paint from the bra? That thing isn't 100% stationary, it moves and flexes and gets dirt under it, that's scratching the paint more than any bug or regular dirt ever will." He was shocked to find out how right I was when he took it off once to give the car a good cleaning one day. Now the bra is a permanent feature to hide the damage it did.
Seems to me like the people who put plastic over their furniture and carpets "to keep them looking nice". Congrats, now they look awful because they have plastic on them. The attempt to prevent a possible thing is itself the real cause of the thing. There's got to be a name for that, probably one long word in German!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events