ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , Herman Cain , obituaries , presidential candidates

Old 30th July 2020, 07:26 AM   #1
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Hermain Cain dies after month long battle with COVID-19

Quote:
Herman Cain, a former presidential hopeful who was once considered by President Donald Trump for the Federal Reserve, has died after being hospitalized with the coronavirus. He was 74.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/30/form...ronavirus.html
Old 30th July 2020, 07:41 AM   #2
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I hope the stupid son of a bitch enjoyed the rally.
Old 30th July 2020, 07:51 AM   #3
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

I wonder if Tinyhands McBonespurs will be invited to the funeral?
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 07:56 AM   #4
angrysoba
Philosophile

That's going to suck for his family, but it sounds like his Twitter account will live on as a monument to his stupidity.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 07:58 AM   #5
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I hope the stupid son of a bitch enjoyed the rally.
I'm sure hearing Trump complain for 10 minutes about how ramps are hard was totally worth dying for.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 07:58 AM   #6
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
I wonder if Tinyhands McBonespurs will be invited to the funeral?
Would it be tasteless if they remixed Paul Hardcastle's 19 with Herman Cain's voice saying 9-9-19...
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 08:02 AM   #7
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
That's going to suck for his family, but it sounds like his Twitter account will live on as a monument to his stupidity.
Well they already took down his one about not wearing a mask at the Trump rally.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 08:04 AM   #8
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
The flow of ignorant, CT spewage was unimpeded by Cain's illness.

Of course this is quite possibly due to attending the Tulsa rally.
Old 30th July 2020, 08:21 AM   #9
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'm interested to see how the Fox News prime time shows spin this. Not interested enough to actually watch said shows of course. I'm sure "Reliable Sources" will give me an adequate summary on Sunday.
Old 30th July 2020, 08:36 AM   #10
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I'm interested to see how the Fox News prime time shows spin this.
“America’s Frontline Doctors state emphatically that Cain tragically died of TOO MUCH WINNING!”

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 08:36 AM   #11
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Ideology is a hell of a drug indeed.

Imagine contracting a fatal illness at a poorly attended rally that had Trump drinking water as a highlight. Couldn't be me.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 30th July 2020 at 08:40 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 08:44 AM   #12
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Imagine contracting a fatal illness at a poorly attended rally that had Trump drinking water as a highlight. Couldn't be me.
The next rally will feature him acing an Alzheimer test.

"Crowd, lights, women, flags, boobs!"
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 08:49 AM   #13
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I think yesterday or the day before there was a report "he still needs oxygen". There was no mention of a ventilator. I wonder if he got any plasma. I wonder if Trump gave up any of that Remdesivir he's controlling.

I imagine Trump is already making up excuses why his rally had nothing to do with it.

I wonder if this will make Gohmert a little nervous. He's 66 not 74 but that's still in a higher risk category.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 08:51 AM   #14
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I wonder if this will make Gohmert a little nervous. He's 66 not 74 but that's still in a higher risk category.
From all indications, Gohmert is too stupid to feel nervous.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 08:54 AM   #15
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I wonder if he got any plasma. I wonder if Trump gave up any of that Remdesivir he's controlling.

Or bleach, UV light and hydroxycholoroquine.
Maybe all he got was demon sperm.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 09:30 AM   #16
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Or bleach, UV light and hydroxycholoroquine.
Maybe all he got was demon sperm.
He is actually going to take the underlined.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...xychloroquine/
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 09:38 AM   #17
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Quote:
Imagine surviving the Jim Crow South, somehow managing to prosper, and giving it all up at the end because you wanted the approval of the dumbest racist in the world.
https://twitter.com/byjoelanderson/s...47550556979201
Old 30th July 2020, 09:53 AM   #18
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

In similar cosmic justice news, the 80 year old co-founder of Turning Point USA, the conservative propaganda mill that targets college campuses, died of covid. TPUSA seems to be scrubbing their twitter of anti-mask propaganda they posted.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...cations-387077

I'm actually surprised it's taken this long for someone as prominent as Cain in the conservative political world to die of covid, given that many are of advanced age. I suspect that most are taking precautions even as they spread misinformation about how Covid isn't dangerous.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 30th July 2020 at 09:55 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 10:13 AM   #19
Donal
Illuminator

I'm interested to see how the Fox News prime time shows spin this. Not interested enough to actually watch said shows of course. I'm sure "Reliable Sources" will give me an adequate summary on Sunday.
They won't talk about the Coronavirus. It will be about "evil leftists cheering his death" or how we should follow his example. Probably a couple of references to the "Democratic plantation".
Old 30th July 2020, 10:16 AM   #20
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
They won't talk about the Coronavirus. It will be about "evil leftists cheering his death" or how we should follow his example. Probably a couple of references to the "Democratic plantation".
I think you're right. What's funny is, Fox News polls are considered some of the best so they know this isn't working. Fox goes to all the trouble and expense of collecting really good data and then does the opposite of what the data suggests.
Old 30th July 2020, 10:18 AM   #21
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I'm actually surprised it's taken this long for someone as prominent as Cain in the conservative political world to die of covid, given that many are of advanced age. I suspect that most are taking precautions even as they spread misinformation about how Covid isn't dangerous.

If they take Trump-recommended precaution, that could be what's killing them!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 10:18 AM   #22
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I think you're right. What's funny is, Fox News polls are considered some of the best so they know this isn't working.
It's actually very disheartening how good Fox News is at getting data while at the same time being equally good at ignoring it.
Old 30th July 2020, 10:39 AM   #23
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
He is actually going to take the underlined.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...xychloroquine/
Gohmert is even more stupid than I thought...and that's saying something.

What was the timeline between the Tulsa rally and Cain being diagnosed? I don't think they really know if he contracted it there, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 10:43 AM   #24
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post

That would remind everybody that the evil leftists were right about the virus and that people shouldn't follow his example of corona denialism:Tributes pour in for Herman Cain after death from coronavirus (Fox News, July 30, 2020) It will be easier not to mention it or to play down the connection.

Others make it more obvious: Donald Trump aide Herman Cain who played down danger of coronavirus is killed by it (Metro.co.uk, July 30, 2020)

Last edited by dann; 30th July 2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 30th July 2020, 10:46 AM   #25
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Cain was admitted to an Atlanta-area hospital on July 1, 2020, for treatment of COVID-19, two days after he was told he tested positive for the virus. His staff said there was no way to be certain where or in what way he contracted the disease. He had attended a Trump rally in Tulsa 11 days earlier without wearing a mask or socially distancing. Earlier on the same day he went to the hospital, Cain praised South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem for not requiring masks at an upcoming Trump campaign event, saying "Masks will not be mandatory for the event, which will be attended by President Trump. PEOPLE ARE FED UP!" Four weeks later, he was still hospitalized and being treated with oxygen. Cain died of complications of COVID-19 on July 30, 2020.
**** you, *******! You got what you ******* deserved!
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare

Last edited by shemp; 30th July 2020 at 10:47 AM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 10:49 AM   #26
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

He gave his life for the cause of no masks clearly there should be a large mask free funeral for him. It is only fitting to give others the right to die for the cause as well.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 10:53 AM   #27
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
What was the timeline between the Tulsa rally and Cain being diagnosed? I don't think they really know if he contracted it there, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
~11 days. Rally was June 20, and he was in the hospital on July 1.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 11:00 AM   #28
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
~11 days. Rally was June 20, and he was in the hospital on July 1.
So it's entirely possible the idiot was infected at the rally. Karma's a real witch sometimes.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 11:03 AM   #29
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
He gave his life for the cause of no masks clearly there should be a large mask free funeral for him. It is only fitting to give others the right to die for the cause as well.
Maybe they can have a sailors funeral, but instead of sewing him up in his bunk hammock, they can sew him up in a giant facemask. Then wheel him into the incinerator, because his corpse is a bio-hazard.
Old 30th July 2020, 11:03 AM   #30
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I can't be the only one who skipped this thread thinking it was some sort of stupid joke. Damn, if only I could comprehend the depths of that last phrase.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 11:11 AM   #31
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I can't be the only one who skipped this thread thinking it was some sort of stupid joke. Damn, if only I could comprehend the depths of that last phrase.
I thought it might be some kind of misreporting, like the new doctor one. Its just stunning that anyone, especially of a certain age, would be so foolish as to not take this seriously. I'm on the happy side of the Likely To Die of It line, and my concern is spreading it to others, even if I were asymptomatic. The political hubris is sickening.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Last edited by Thermal; 30th July 2020 at 11:13 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 11:24 AM   #32
Allen773
Graduate Poster

RIP, meme candidate.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 11:25 AM   #33
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Wow.

I am not feeling the same sort of schadenfreude that so many people in this thread seem to be, but I have to admit that I felt that I wasn't deeply saddened, directly, by this news. In fact, shortly after his infection was announced, I said there would be a "silver lining" if he were to die, and I feel like that might be the case.

I don't want anyone to die from this disease, but I know that 150,000 in the US have already died, and I know that more will die. I just hope that with his prominence, and the circumstances where he may have caught the virus, it serves as a wake up call. I won't say I'm glad he is dead, but I will say that I hope his death serves a purpose, and I'll say that him being on the growing list of the dead creates an opportunity.

But people are stubborn. People who are willing to deny the severity of the disease, or pretend that masks do nothing to slow its spread, will probably find a way to deny the significance of this man's death. I have to confess, I find myself thinking that it might take one more high profile political death to really drive the message home, and I've already got someone in mind.

I don't like thinking that way, but there it is.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 11:31 AM   #34
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Wow.

I am not feeling the same sort of schadenfreude that so many people in this thread seem to be, but I have to admit that I felt that I wasn't deeply saddened, directly, by this news. In fact, shortly after his infection was announced, I said there would be a "silver lining" if he were to die, and I feel like that might be the case.

I don't want anyone to die from this disease, but I know that 150,000 in the US have already died, and I know that more will die. I just hope that with his prominence, and the circumstances where he may have caught the virus, it serves as a wake up call. I won't say I'm glad he is dead, but I will say that I hope his death serves a purpose, and I'll say that him being on the growing list of the dead creates an opportunity.

But people are stubborn. People who are willing to deny the severity of the disease, or pretend that masks do nothing to slow its spread, will probably find a way to deny the significance of this man's death. I have to confess, I find myself thinking that it might take one more high profile political death to really drive the message home, and I've already got someone in mind.

I don't like thinking that way, but there it is.
According to Gohmert, he got the virus from wearing a mask. It's amazing the lengths people will go to in defending their position rather than admit they were wrong.
Old 30th July 2020, 12:17 PM   #35
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

According to Gohmert, he got the virus from wearing a mask. It's amazing the lengths people will go to in defending their position rather than admit they were wrong.
Worse, Gohmert insisted that his staff work in his office every day and rebuked them if they wanted to wear masks.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrews.../#67c22ed77f27
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...navirus-388230
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 12:24 PM   #36
Armitage72
Illuminator

My father is 80 and has smoked since he was 12. When he developed throat cancer (and recovered), he briefly quit. Then he saw the Proposition 65 cancer warning on some sprays he uses in his woodworking, decided that was what caused his cancer, and started smoking again. When this all started, he didn't wash his hands, use hand sanitizer, or wear a mask unless he absolutely had to. Then a neighbor he's known for more than 50 years died of the virus. I don't know how long that change in his behavior will last though.

Last edited by Armitage72; 30th July 2020 at 12:26 PM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 12:47 PM   #37
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Gohmert is even more stupid than I thought...and that's saying something.

~2 weeks

There's probably more than a few staffers on Cap Hill passing the virus around. Many of the people at the rally were from there and went back there.

July 11: The latest CDC estimate (scroll down to the tables).

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 12:52 PM   #38
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

"Instant Karma's going to get you"

OK, not quite instant but 30 days is pretty fast;Karma usully takes a lot more time.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 01:00 PM   #39
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

My problem with people like Herman Cain is, they never seem to be troubled by the unease that it would seem any -- dare I say it? -- normal person would feel: 'What if I'm wrong? People don't wear a face mask because they heard me urge them not to and if I'm wrong, some of them might die. I might die!'

Even after being HOSPITALIZED Cain was still urging people not to wear masks! From a British news site:
Quote:
Cain sent a tweet on July 1, two days after testing positive for coronavirus, about Trump’s upcoming July 4 celebration at Mount Rushmore. He wrote: ‘Masks will not be mandatory for the event, which will be attended by President Trump. Metro News
I don't wish death on anyone but as for Cain dying, I can't get past him urging people to go to social gatherings where the virus WAS KNOWN TO BE SURGING (like in Tulsa where city officials suggested trump NOT hold the rally) without wearing a mask or practicing social distancing. That was a totally irresponsible thing to do. Idiotic, almost childish. The American people deserve a lot better leadership then that supplied by Herman Cain.

Here is Cain at the trump Tulsa rally. It's the photo of a very very foolish man.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Herman Cain at Tulsa.jpg (124.9 KB, 14 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 01:01 PM   #40
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe it's the whole 9-9-9 thing but I always thought Cain was to Republicans as Sgt Shultz was to Nazis. More of a comedic figure to be laughed at than a villain to be reviled.

Does it strike anyone else as weird that the first big name pro trump anti-mask Trump supporter to die though his own stupidity turned out to be black?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics