ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags "Days of Deceit" , Butler Shaffer , FDR conspiracies , LewRockwell.com , pearl harbor conspiracies , Robert Stinnett , Tom DiLorenzo , World War II conspiracies

Old 7th December 2016, 09:39 AM   #1
Major Major
Critical Thinker

How Those Freedom-Loving Guys at Lew Rockwell Remember!

The Lew Rockwell bloggers have decided to enlighten the rest of us with their superior wisdom, again. This time, two different bloggers, one being the ever-reliable Tom DiLorenzo, and another, Butler Shaffer (a friend of famous revisionist James J. Martin), are pushing the conclusions of Robert Stinnett's Day of Deceit.

Being, of course, in the Internet Age, they can link to a network of sites and posts that support their view; and utterly ignore any which call Stinnett's findings into question.

I'm surprised one prominent revisionist hasn't popped up here already, but the day is still young.

Major Major is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th December 2016, 12:01 PM   #2
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I don't know any of those names, or the book title, and you give neither link nor context.

But given the book, and today's date... Pearl?

A lot of that is disgusting CT crap (like school false flag claims) so I won't be looking it up, but I had to ask.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2016, 04:19 AM   #3
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
I don't know any of those names, or the book title, and you give neither link nor context.

A lot of that is disgusting CT crap (like school false flag claims) so I won't be looking it up, but I had to ask.
A quick guide:
Thomas DiLorenzo: USAian ecponomist (Mises Institute, libertarian and Austrian School) who wrote the much panned and error laden The Real Lincoln, supports Confederate succession and has associations with neo-Nazis. Also lies about immigrants and their economic cost to the USA.
Butler Shaffer: USAian lawyer and writer for both the Lew Rockwell site and the Mises Institute. Also suffers from hardcore libertarianism. Declared that US involvement in WW2 was a Bad Idea. Friend of Ron Paul. Dabbled in 911 conspiracy theorising.
James J. Martin: a now dead USAian historical revisionist and Holocaust denier. Anarcho-capitalist libertarian. Wrote for the libertarian screed Reason () denying the death toll in the Nazi camps.
Robert Stinnett: USAian conspiracy nut who wrote Days of Deceit promulgating the popular right-wing claim that the Roosevelt administration both deliberately provoked and permitted the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor with the object of bringing the US into WW2. Ask Gawdzilla Sama about him and his "research".
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2016, 07:10 AM   #4
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_Deceit

Yes, Pearl Harbor
Quote:
Day of Deceit: The Truth About FDR and Pearl Harbor is a book by Robert Stinnett alleging that the Roosevelt administration deliberately provoked and allowed the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2016, 07:42 AM   #5
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by jaydeehess View Post
We've discussed the claims, and the Stinnett book specifically, here a number of times and both are absolute nonsense.

For a more detailed debunking I'd recommend those by the late Philip Jacobsen (USN LtCmdr and cryptographer) and professor Larry Schweikert. The former is a detailed repudiation of many of Stinnett's (false) claims regarding comms traffic while the latter analyses Stinnett's awful scholarship and terrible historical methodology, plus his habit of using deceptive footnotes for a patina of academic methodology.

ETA: oopsie, here is that link.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th December 2016, 07:47 AM   #6
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Ask Gawdzilla Sama about him and his "research".
I'd love to, but GzS unfortunately stopped posting here months ago.
Old 8th December 2016, 11:10 AM   #7
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

A quick guide:
Thomas DiLorenzo: USAian ecponomist (Mises Institute, libertarian and Austrian School) who wrote the much panned and error laden The Real Lincoln, supports Confederate succession and has associations with neo-Nazis. Also lies about immigrants and their economic cost to the USA.
Butler Shaffer: USAian lawyer and writer for both the Lew Rockwell site and the Mises Institute. Also suffers from hardcore libertarianism. Declared that US involvement in WW2 was a Bad Idea. Friend of Ron Paul. Dabbled in 911 conspiracy theorising.
James J. Martin: a now dead USAian historical revisionist and Holocaust denier. Anarcho-capitalist libertarian. Wrote for the libertarian screed Reason () denying the death toll in the Nazi camps.
Robert Stinnett: USAian conspiracy nut who wrote Days of Deceit promulgating the popular right-wing claim that the Roosevelt administration both deliberately provoked and permitted the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor with the object of bringing the US into WW2. Ask Gawdzilla Sama about him and his "research".
We've discussed the claims, and the Stinnett book specifically, here a number of times and both are absolute nonsense.

For a more detailed debunking I'd recommend those by the late Philip Jacobsen (USN LtCmdr and cryptographer) and professor Larry Schweikert. The former is a detailed repudiation of many of Stinnett's (false) claims regarding comms traffic while the latter analyses Stinnett's awful scholarship and terrible historical methodology, plus his habit of using deceptive footnotes for a patina of academic methodology.

ETA: oopsie, here is that link.

Thanks for the primer... that's quite the cast of characters.
Can't say I'm interested to get into their minds, so I'll just back away slowly.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories