ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags protest incidents , protest issues , sports incidents

Old 26th July 2018, 09:15 PM   #281
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Article on The Daily Caller advocates that the protesting athletes should be stripped of their salaries, flogged and then put up in stocks for public humiliation. People in the comments say that kneeling athletes should be executed or dismembered.
Old 27th July 2018, 04:25 AM   #282
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Article on The Daily Caller advocates that the protesting athletes should be stripped of their salaries, flogged and then put up in stocks for public humiliation.
My fetish sense is tingling. Perhaps all of this is just repressed sexual urges coming out as patriotism. Perhaps all patriotism is really sex. Everything is sex or death, after all.
Old 27th July 2018, 06:44 AM   #283
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
My fetish sense is tingling. Perhaps all of this is just repressed sexual urges coming out as patriotism. Perhaps all patriotism is really sex. Everything is sex or death, after all.
Interesting idea. What would you say is the point of forced diversity? Sex? Or death?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 07:41 AM   #284
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Interesting idea. What would you say is the point of forced diversity? Sex? Or death?
Both 'forced' diversity and a fear of diversity are rooted in sex. The latter is more unhealthy in my opinion, because the sexual urges are being repressed and denied.
Old 27th July 2018, 02:08 PM   #285
Travis

Is Forced Diversity a new white nationalist sitcom where a good Christian white family is forced to take in refugees who naturally turn out to be planning a terrorist attack?
Old 27th July 2018, 02:45 PM   #286
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Can you give some real world examples of "forced diversity", including who is doing the forcing, how they are doing the forcing, and how any previous lack of diversity had come about as background?

ETA: also some stats on how much gets forced vs. non-forced.
Old 27th July 2018, 03:44 PM   #287
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Say patriotism is a repressed sexual fetish, and nobody bats an eye.

Ask about diversity, and everybody loses their minds.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th July 2018, 04:15 PM   #288
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

I just considered the source for the patriotism fetish thing, and didn't think it was serious. Now if it it is, i ask for the same serious backing of the claim.
Old 27th July 2018, 04:23 PM   #289
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'm more interested in why you brought up diversity. Do you see diversity as the opposite of patriotism?
Old 27th July 2018, 06:33 PM   #290
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I'm more interested in why you brought up diversity. Do you see diversity as the opposite of patriotism?
Great question! Especially when increasing diversity in the corporate world is seen as a net benefit, it improves creativity and the ability to understand more markets, and avoid groupthink. I would think a more diverse nation is a stronger nation.

A "mongrel nation" being a weaker nation was proven wrong in WW II
Old 29th July 2018, 10:51 AM   #291
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Great question! Especially when increasing diversity in the corporate world is seen as a net benefit, it improves creativity and the ability to understand more markets, and avoid groupthink. I would think a more diverse nation is a stronger nation.

A "mongrel nation" being a weaker nation was proven wrong in WW II
If you want a good dog, get a mutt. They're smarter, healthier, and far less prone to neurosis.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2018, 11:16 AM   #292
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

I missed that. I read the questions, didn't see anybody "losing their mind."
Old 29th July 2018, 11:21 AM   #293
Venom
Graduate Poster

I think airing the Pledge of Allegiance should be required only in high school, perhaps 8th grade. Kids before that age typically don't know what pledging allegiance to their country entails nor do they care.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2018, 12:15 PM   #294
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
I missed that. I read the questions, didn't see anybody "losing their mind."
I saw two good answers and a good joke. I guess that wasn't the expected response.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2018, 12:24 PM   #295
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I think airing the Pledge of Allegiance should be required only in high school, perhaps 8th grade. Kids before that age typically don't know what pledging allegiance to their country entails nor do they care.
I don't think the pledge should be required at all. At least not since the GOP changed the wording.
Old 29th July 2018, 12:40 PM   #296
Stacyhs
Illuminator

I don't think it should be required at all...and the Supreme Court agreed with this in 1943. Why the need to have kids stand and pledge allegiance? Does it make them any more loyal? It's forced "patriotism". It reminds me of when I was very young and my public school required us to have a morning prayer. Being raised in a non-religious household, I found it very uncomfortable and I felt singled out. My older sister was actually told in class by a classmate that she was "going to Hell" when she didn't participate. I also felt forced to pledge to a "nation under God" which I did not believe in. Many children in our public schools are not US citizens. Many are children of people on work visas, student visas, etc. This "uber-patriotism" that is so popular in the US is verging on nationalism in my opinion. I find it embarrassing.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2018, 06:13 PM   #297
Travis

I notice in the comments on articles on the anthem protests that many people say the athletes should be deported.

Deported to where? Anyone got an idea what their deportation idea is all about?
Old 29th July 2018, 06:19 PM   #298
Venom
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don't think the pledge should be required at all. At least not since the GOP changed the wording.
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I don't think it should be required at all...and the Supreme Court agreed with this in 1943. Why the need to have kids stand and pledge allegiance? Does it make them any more loyal? It's forced "patriotism". It reminds me of when I was very young and my public school required us to have a morning prayer. Being raised in a non-religious household, I found it very uncomfortable and I felt singled out. My older sister was actually told in class by a classmate that she was "going to Hell" when she didn't participate. I also felt forced to pledge to a "nation under God" which I did not believe in. Many children in our public schools are not US citizens. Many are children of people on work visas, student visas, etc. This "uber-patriotism" that is so popular in the US is verging on nationalism in my opinion. I find it embarrassing.
Perhaps I should rephrase, or at least clarify that the pledge be recited only in high school. With a choice to stand or not, like we had. I don't think that changes your reply though.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2018, 06:29 PM   #299
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Sort of related, we leave near a state park with a campground. You go by the campground the laat weekend of July (or at any time) and you see a bunch of campers predominately displaying US flags.

Is there a purpose to that other than virtue signalling?

Something more related: seeing a tweet going around about how football players do a whole bunch of breast cancer support activities and no one complains, but try to protest racial inequality, then it's all "just play football and stop with the social statements"
Old 29th July 2018, 07:03 PM   #300
Fudbucker
Philosopher

For the last ten years, my first lesson to an incoming class of kids (5th graders) is to explain what "indivisible" mean. Invariably, they think it means "invisible". I had one kid one year who actually knew.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2018, 07:05 PM   #301
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

I notice in the comments on articles on the anthem protests that many people say the athletes should be deported.

Liberia?
Old 29th July 2018, 07:19 PM   #302
sylvan8798
Master Poster

There is a massive ignorance out there about issues of how we are coming or going from other countries. To the point where people seem to believe that we can just pick a country and airdrop anyone there.

- Professional Wastrel
sylvan8798 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2018, 08:53 PM   #303
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps I should rephrase, or at least clarify that the pledge be recited only in high school. With a choice to stand or not, like we had. I don't think that changes your reply though.
You're right it doesn't. The recitation of the pledge by schoolchildren at all is an infringement on some basic rights. I consider myself to be quite patriotic and I think this. The pledge is a 20th century invention that mandates a bizarre form of patriotism. And I am particularly offended by the words 'under god' which were added in the 50s.
Old 29th July 2018, 11:42 PM   #304
Stacyhs
Illuminator

No, it doesn't. I think the whole thing is silly.

You're right it doesn't. The recitation of the pledge by schoolchildren at all is an infringement on some basic rights. I consider myself to be quite patriotic and I think this. The pledge is a 20th century invention that mandates a bizarre form of patriotism. And I am particularly offended by the words 'under god' which were added in the 50s.
That.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2018, 02:04 AM   #305
Minoosh
Philosopher

The flag part bothers me more than the God part ...

I worked at a school that had a lot of kids formerly home-schooled in religious families. The parents liked it partly because it was smaller and had a good reputation. They might not have realized the owner was old-school Soviet atheist, and her own 2nd grader was excused from taking the pledge. Any kid could opt out; I don't know how many did. I think teachers etc. just left it up to the kid.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2018, 02:23 AM   #306
Minoosh
Philosopher

There was a baseball quote from I forget who - the anthem was playing and a ballplayer said, "I always have a bad day when they play this song."

Also, the hand-over-the-heart tradition came about because previously, listeners had been using a Nazi salute. That got awkward around 1936.

From the Smithsonian:
Quote:
“At a signal from the Principal,” Bellamy wrote, “the pupils, in ordered ranks, hands to the side, face the Flag. Another signal is given; every pupil gives the flag the military salute—right hand lifted, palm downward, to a line with the forehead and close to it. Standing thus, all repeat together, slowly, ‘I pledge allegiance to my Flag…’” (The words of the Pledge itself have a long and contentious history of their own, as Amy Crawford wrote for Smithsonian magazine last year.)
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2018, 04:40 AM   #307
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Who? Which eye? By "bat," did you mean "wink suggestively?"
Quote:
Ask about forced diversity, and everybody loses their minds.[Missing text added.]
Self-editing prior statements -- of public record -- is quite fashionable nowadays. Trendy! You could easily fool Lincoln's "some of the people, all of the time" folks; aka, Trump voters. Admirable effort; you get today's lollipop!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lollipop.jpg (3.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 13th August 2018, 05:29 PM   #308
Travis

Football is back baby! Well preseason anyways. And so that means we have more issues regarding the protests.

And...first up we have the Miami police union boycotting the Miami Dolphins when three members of the team take a knee during their first preseason game. The union described the protest by three players as "disgusting" and a "slap in the face" because apparently they either think that all their members are guilty of police brutality or somehow remain ignorant of what the protest is about.

https://deadspin.com/miami-police-un...aye-1828287248

I never knew big bad police officers were so easily triggered.
Old 14th August 2018, 01:22 PM   #309
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Football is back baby! Well preseason anyways. And so that means we have more issues regarding the protests.

And...first up we have the Miami police union boycotting the Miami Dolphins when three members of the team take a knee during their first preseason game. The union described the protest by three players as "disgusting" and a "slap in the face" because apparently they either think that all their members are guilty of police brutality or somehow remain ignorant of what the protest is about.

https://deadspin.com/miami-police-un...aye-1828287248

From the article;
Quote:
The Broward County Police Benevolent Association—the union of officers in one of the three counties that make up the greater Miami area—is calling on its members to boycott Miami Dolphins games and return discounted tickets because the Dolphins have not successfully forced their players to stand during pregame national anthem ceremonies.

I eagerly await the follow-up headline;
"Broward County Police Officers Arrested for Scalping Discounted Dolphins Tickets"

Last edited by quadraginta; 14th August 2018 at 01:23 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2018, 01:28 PM   #310
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

When I hear the expression 'poor widdle snowflake,' I always picture a middle aged white guy.
Old 14th August 2018, 03:19 PM   #311
Travis

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
When I hear the expression 'poor widdle snowflake,' I always picture a middle aged white guy.
I do the same thing. I always picture a guy that revels in not caring about racial slurs but freaks out when someone disrespects something he does care about.
Old 14th August 2018, 05:26 PM   #312
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Showing those n-words who's boss, mostly.
Way back in post #4.....

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics