ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Julian Assange

Old 1st August 2018, 08:24 AM   #761
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
You say it like it was just one thing he did that the Feds were looking at. He keeps giving us new reasons to look into what he's doing.

I predict the Feds will look at him again the next time top secret US documents are released through Wikileaks too.

Agree or disagree?
Agree of course, except that they wouldn't be looking into him again so much as continuing to look into him.
Old 1st August 2018, 08:31 AM   #762
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
And don't forget that a lot of the investigation into Assange has been about things he did after the Sweden incident.

And a lowkey review of Wikileaks' involvement in leaking state secrets is totally understandable. That makes him just as wanted as any other journalist who's ever published classified information. Not at all the same as an "enthusiastic" or "vehement" persecution of the man.
Posted above, the NSA proposed to classify WL as a malicious foreign actor. Typical treatment of, say, the NY Times, is that? The initial investigation was also with the intent to prosecute under the Espionage Act. This is IMO a notch or two above cursory investigation.
Old 1st August 2018, 08:49 AM   #763
Arcade22
Illuminator

Is it to much to ask for him being evicted from the Embassy, detained in the UK then extradited to Sweden and being formally charged and convicted of rape? The Swedish investigation might have been dropped because the prosecutors felt (at the time) that there was no hope of him being detained but it can be reopened at any time until the stature of limitations has passed.

It certainly would be ironic if he'd spend close to a decade in (voluntary) exile in the embassy only to be sentenced to prison for 2-3 years (of which he'd actually spend 2/3 in prison). He'd be a free man by now whether or not he would've been convicted.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2018, 11:57 AM   #764
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
True, but is seeking political asylum 'dishonest'? Just assume for the sake of argument that he was a legit political refugee, as Ecuador considered him. Would someone sentenced to stoning for heresy in a theocracy be dishonest for jumping bail in order to seek asylum?
I think a little context is important here.

Seeking asylum in and of itself may not necessarily be dishonest (although its possible to claim it for invalid reasons... given the fact that assange was charged with Rape, seeking asylum under the false pretext of "the Americans are out to get me" when the real reason is "I don't want to be charged with rape" would be considered dishonest.)

Now, Ecuador may have the right to grant asylum to whomever it wants. (At least I think they do under international law.) But at the time asylum was granted, the president of Ecuador was someone who was more aligned with the political left and held fairly anti-American views. It makes it look like the granting of asylum was due less to "This person is truly in danger" and more like "This person harms the Americans so we will do what we can to protect him".

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2018, 12:18 PM   #765
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry. Getting too defensive, my bad.

Would you think about eight years of ongoing investigation crossing administrations, seems like somewhat enthusiastic pursuit? Maybe more than a cursury look see?
Wilileaks has been publishing since 2006. They started publishing material embarrassing to the U.S. government since 2007. Assange didn't go to the embassy until 2012. So that leaves around half a decade when Assange was running around free, publishing various secret and classified information.

Soooo.... Why didn't the American government put out an arrest warrant for him at that time? Can it really be considered "enthusiastic pursuit" if Wikileaks is publishing a bunch of classified materials and the U.S. is doing nothing to actually arrest Assange?

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2018, 12:38 PM   #766
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Wilileaks has been publishing since 2006. They started publishing material embarrassing to the U.S. government since 2007. Assange didn't go to the embassy until 2012. So that leaves around half a decade when Assange was running around free, publishing various secret and classified information.

Soooo.... Why didn't the American government put out an arrest warrant for him at that time? Can it really be considered "enthusiastic pursuit" if Wikileaks is publishing a bunch of classified materials and the U.S. is doing nothing to actually arrest Assange?
Especially since, during the same period, they were able to investigate, arrest, charge, try, and sentence Bradley Manning. That's what "vehement" and "enthusiastic" persecution looks like in action.

Thermal wants us to believe that after being pursued by Swedish authorities over rape allegations, Assange fled Sweden because he was afraid the US was out to get him.

Last edited by theprestige; 3rd August 2018 at 12:39 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2018, 06:34 PM   #767
Thermal
Illuminator

More fun for Assange:The US Senate Intellegence Committee wants to chat about Russia, Mueller plans to subpoena the lad, and a firm representing the DNC is suing Wikileaks and formally served them papers...via Twitter.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/09/63718...e-senate-panel

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-a...11-p4zww0.html
Old 17th September 2018, 11:17 AM   #768
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like Assange may have had plans to escape to Russia.

From: https://www.politico.eu/article/juli...ort-wikileaks/
Julian Assange planned to leave the U.K. and seek refuge in Russia as authorities closed in on him, according to a leak of WikiLeaks data.

I wonder if that changes the opinions of any of the Assange fans who were denying that he had a pro-Russia/anti-American bias? After all, fleeing to Russia (a country not exactly known for its free speech) seems like a rather strange destination if WikiLeaks were truly working in an unbiased, "go after everyone equally" fashion.

Also, a bit late, but there is this:

From: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...irector_quits/
The director of whistleblower support outfit the Courage Foundation has quit after being told to pull support from Barrett Brown following some barbed comments he made about Julian Assange.....Courage works by picking people in legal trouble whom it deems worthy of support...Those eight “beneficiaries”, as Courage calls them, include Anonymous-linked FBI-baiter Barrett Brown... (note: wikileaks is one of the people involved in the courage foundation).

Now another poster here (I won't name names... lets just call them Nhermal) claimed that the world "needs" wikileaks, and that other organizations just aren't really doing enough. But here you have a case where Wikileaks may actually be going and actively sabotaging others who may be leaking data.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 17th September 2018, 02:16 PM   #769
Thermal
Illuminator

Julian Assange planned to leave the U.K. and seek refuge in Russia as authorities closed in on him, according to a leak of WikiLeaks data.

I wonder if that changes the opinions of any of the Assange fans who were denying that he had a pro-Russia/anti-American bias? After all, fleeing to Russia (a country not exactly known for its free speech) seems like a rather strange destination if WikiLeaks were truly working in an unbiased, "go after everyone equally" fashion.

Also, a bit late, but there is this:

From: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...irector_quits/
The director of whistleblower support outfit the Courage Foundation has quit after being told to pull support from Barrett Brown following some barbed comments he made about Julian Assange.....Courage works by picking people in legal trouble whom it deems worthy of support...Those eight “beneficiaries”, as Courage calls them, include Anonymous-linked FBI-baiter Barrett Brown... (note: wikileaks is one of the people involved in the courage foundation).

Now another poster here (I won't name names... lets just call them Nhermal) claimed that the world "needs" wikileaks, and that other organizations just aren't really doing enough. But here you have a case where Wikileaks may actually be going and actively sabotaging others who may be leaking data.
Oh, stop it. I said we need WL or something like it to be an independent way to publish leaks. I also said I hope that WL get themselves straightened out with their currently misguided mission.
Old 17th September 2018, 10:50 PM   #770
dann
Philosopher

Fleeing to a country that won't extradite you doesn't make you pro that country, does it?!
Edward Snowden describes Russian government as corrupt (Guardian, June 29, 2018)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2018, 09:38 AM   #771
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Fleeing to a country that won't extradite you doesn't make you pro that country, does it?!
Edward Snowden describes Russian government as corrupt (Guardian, June 29, 2018)
Maybe, maybe not.

If you look back in the thread, its not just the fact that Assange sought to flee to Russia. Its also that 1) he accepted money from russian government sources, 2) several people associated with Wikileaks have complained about Assange focusing almost exclusively on the U.S. and ignoring some potentially significant information from Russia, 3) allowed unredacted information to be passed to pro-russia sources.

As for Snowden... true, he's holed up in Russia. But, there are reports (admittedly with some contradictions) that his actual destination was central America, and he just happened to get stuck in Moscow due to several factors (passport got cancelled, diplomatic pressure from the U.S., etc.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 18th September 2018, 09:42 AM   #772
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, stop it. I said we need WL or something like it to be an independent way to publish leaks.
The second part ("Something like it") may be understandable. The first part ("Need WL")? I have documented a significant amount of rot that Wikileaks has. Its unredeemable, and it is causing harm to not only the world in general, but the actual disclosure process. We don't need wikileaks. We need wikileaks to disappear.

We are Groot - Groot

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events