ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th November 2016, 04:04 PM   #1
mgardner
Thinker

The Muhammad Al-Durrah Incident

Wiki Link

In 2000, a young boy by the name of Muhammad al-Durrah was, apparently, killed as the result of an exchange of gunfire between Palestinian militants and Israeli soldiers. A freelancing cameraman working for a french reporter filmed portions of the incident. The Arab and European leftist press seized on this as a depiction of Israeli brutality. Later, more sober analysis created a lot of doubt as to who actually killed the boy. I happen to believe, upon review of the evidence, that Muhammad was shot by Palestinian gunfire.

Now, does this place me in the same category as the Boston Marathon "Vicsims" people. I don't think so, as I have real evidence while they have only speculation.
  1. The bullet holes in the wall behind the al-Durrahs are round, indicating gunfire perpendicular to the wall. This indicates it was coming from the direction of the Palestinians.
  2. The incident was filmed by only one reporter creating the possibility that his biases or mistakes could create misinterpretations of what happened. More recent shootings in the US have had multiple eyewitness accounts filmed by multiple news stations. Any conspiracy theory of these incidents must then claim that all these news stations are acting in collusion - an unlikely scenario.
  3. The Palestinians had been known to manufacture footage of casualties as agit-prop against Israel. The site Little Green Footballs documented much of this back in the day as I recall.
So, what do you think happened to Al-Durrah? If you think that France 2 got it wrong, does that make you a conspiracy theorist?
mgardner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2016, 04:43 PM   #2
fuelair
Suspended

Wasn't there, do not know, but I am pretty certain the Palestinian killers are/were much more likely to shoot at anything while the Israelis tend more to hit what they shoot at and shoot at proper targets. Also, friendly R of W war reminder. It is illegal (Violation of RoW) for a military to fight from where it's civilians are - makes the military legitimate War Criminals (honest, I do not make this stuff up) AND it also makes the area where they are fighting from legitimate to fire at. It is required that to the extent possible, civilians should still not be targeted, but it does not make shooting/bombing them illegal as long as you try to only get enemy military.

Last edited by fuelair; 4th November 2016 at 04:45 PM. Reason: add i in Palestinian
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2016, 06:14 AM   #3
Degeneve
Muse

Originally Posted by mgardner View Post
Wiki Link

In 2000, a young boy by the name of Muhammad al-Durrah was, apparently, killed as the result of an exchange of gunfire between Palestinian militants and Israeli soldiers. A freelancing cameraman working for a french reporter filmed portions of the incident. The Arab and European leftist press seized on this as a depiction of Israeli brutality. Later, more sober analysis created a lot of doubt as to who actually killed the boy. I happen to believe, upon review of the evidence, that Muhammad was shot by Palestinian gunfire.

Now, does this place me in the same category as the Boston Marathon "Vicsims" people. I don't think so, as I have real evidence while they have only speculation.
  1. The bullet holes in the wall behind the al-Durrahs are round, indicating gunfire perpendicular to the wall. This indicates it was coming from the direction of the Palestinians.
  2. The incident was filmed by only one reporter creating the possibility that his biases or mistakes could create misinterpretations of what happened. More recent shootings in the US have had multiple eyewitness accounts filmed by multiple news stations. Any conspiracy theory of these incidents must then claim that all these news stations are acting in collusion - an unlikely scenario.
  3. The Palestinians had been known to manufacture footage of casualties as agit-prop against Israel. The site Little Green Footballs documented much of this back in the day as I recall.
So, what do you think happened to Al-Durrah? If you think that France 2 got it wrong, does that make you a conspiracy theorist?
One can certainly think that the kid was killed by Palestinian rather than by Israeli soldiers without being conspiracy theorist.

Think the footage of the incident is a forgery is maybe more on the edge.

Pretending the Mohammed Al-Durah is still alive (he probably lives on the same island as Marylin, Elvis and Michael Jackson) and that his father did not incur any wounds is clearly a CT. In this case apparently even Israeli Prime Minister has purchased it although no convincing evidences for this have been provided so far.

By the way Philippe Karsenty, a French citizen, has been convicted of defamation against Charles Enderlin who is the French journalist who reported the footage on the French TV network because Karsenty said publicly the footage was forged.
Degeneve is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories