ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Old 7th May 2019, 09:14 AM   #761
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Conspiracy theories about how Google treats a Conspiracy theorist.....
Fair enough, but google's been engaging in censorship as of late, for real:

https://www.alternet.org/2017/09/edi...alternet-hard/

It's kind of difficult to find the sweet spot of "pragmatic cynicism" which lies between "naivety" and "paranoia". LOL
Old 7th May 2019, 09:15 AM   #762
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
That's plenty for me.
Well, at least you're consistent.
Old 7th May 2019, 09:16 AM   #763
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
She's really not any more of a "conspiracy theorist" than Glenn Greenwald, but you an believe whatever you wish.
One of the top Google results: Why is Matt Taibbi Sharing an Insane Conspiracy Theorist's Rantings on Twitter? and apparently she has spread Seth Rich conspiracy theories as well as the claim that Clinton rigged the primaries. So, yeah, conspiracy theorist with a "small, cultish following."
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 09:24 AM   #764
Allen773
Muse

She's really not any more of a "conspiracy theorist" than Glenn Greenwald
So in other words, a conspiracy theorist.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 09:27 AM   #765
Allen773
Muse

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
the hard-hitting analysis Caitlin Johnstone does
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 09:28 AM   #766
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
What in the world is "thedailybanter"?

If you're trying to prove that there are people out there who hate her, you can really save yourself the time, because that's obvious.
Old 7th May 2019, 09:31 AM   #767
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
One of the top Google results: Why is Matt Taibbi Sharing an Insane Conspiracy Theorist's Rantings on Twitter? and apparently she has spread Seth Rich conspiracy theories as well as the claim that Clinton rigged the primaries. So, yeah, conspiracy theorist with a "small, cultish following."
From the article:
Quote:
It is almost certainly true that the DNC broadly favored Clinton, but then this is hardly surprising given Sanders had refused to join the party and wouldn't call himself a Democrat until the end of 2015. But this does not mean the primary was rigged, and it does not mean Hillary Clinton tried to rig it. She handily beat Bernie Sanders in 2016 by over 3 million votes, and there has yet to be any evidence to suggest the results were the result of interference by the DNC.

It is incredibly tiring having to mine through the endless ******** "journalists" like Caitlin Johnstone spew out to their conspiracy theory prone readers eagerly awaiting new information confirming Bernie Sanders really won/Russia didn't hack the election/Hillary Clinton is a crook etc etc. We do this begrudgingly at the Banter in order to counter the worst of it, but when respected journalists like Matt Taibbi parrot this *********, it makes it all the worse and all the more depressing.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 09:33 AM   #768
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Honest question: why would her little-known book from 16 years ago, with 16 reviews, be listed, and not her much more popular one with 45 reviews?
Honest answer: Chronological order.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 09:37 AM   #769
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Conspiracy theories about how Google treats a Conspiracy theorist.....
Indeed.
FWIW, my first hits for her on my phone were about her Woke book, with the author card much farther down.
Old 7th May 2019, 09:42 AM   #770
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

I admit that this is a very good argument for "quad" being told about an old book of the author by an algorithm, not a conspiracy, with the same effect to actually dismiss what that author wrote about the topic of the thread.
Well then I don't know what to tell you. My general advice to (the general) you would be to not write serious books on woo if you'd like to keep your credibility. I guess it's too late for Johnstone to receive that advice. It's a real shame.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 09:46 AM   #771
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Someone claimed that there are 7 astrology books and "Woke". I pointed out that there are 7 search results: one of them "Woke", one of them the astrology book, four derivitives of the astrology book and one random result. Which you had seen before you wrote your post. Why, carlitos? Why are you doing this?
My guess would be to point out that your accusations of "Liar" are based on your own ignorance. Are you afraid of the Truth?
Old 7th May 2019, 09:46 AM   #772
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Well then I don't know what to tell you. My general advice to (the general) you would be to not write serious books on woo if you'd like to keep your credibility. I guess it's too late for Johnstone to receive that advice. It's a real shame.
I seriously doubt anyone who matters cares that she was into astrology when she was in college, 16 years ago.
Old 7th May 2019, 09:49 AM   #773
carlitos
"más divertido"

Just to remind folks how we got here.

Are you claiming that her astrology book was "one of the first things" you found googling her? This is obviously untrue. You found some propaganda article where her astrology book was used to smear her. Written to be found by you. I suggest you read her article again using critical thinking, not random internet search results. Trust your own judgement.
I have no opinion at all about this woman writing about astrology. I am also not calling people liars for believing their own eyes when they do a google search, or imagining some disinfo conspiracy to discredit an author who is apparently a conspiracy theorist herself.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 09:54 AM   #774
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Just to remind folks how we got here.

I have no opinion at all about this woman writing about astrology. I am also not calling people liars for believing their own eyes when they do a google search, or imagining some disinfo conspiracy to discredit an author who is apparently a conspiracy theorist herself.
CE definitely owes you an apology for that, but in her defense, it is the sort of thing people say about Johnstone when they actually are lying. (Another is that it's actually her husband who writes all her articles...as much as she might have a cult-like following of fans, she has an even larger cult of haters, heh.)
Old 7th May 2019, 09:56 AM   #775
carlitos
"más divertido"

wareyin and quadraginta, not me.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 09:58 AM   #776
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Fair enough, but google's been engaging in censorship as of late, for real:

https://www.alternet.org/2017/09/edi...alternet-hard/

It's kind of difficult to find the sweet spot of "pragmatic cynicism" which lies between "naivety" and "paranoia". LOL
Honest question: It is necessary that a search engine like Google has an algorithm for ordering the results of a search. Does that really constitute "censorship"? That's quite a stretch.

Furthermore, according to that article:

Quote:
In June, Google announced major changes in its algorithm designed to combat fake news.
...which is absolutely consistent with AlterNet not being given priority in searches according to this (which I will admit I have not verified):

Quote:
some promotion of pseudoscience
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/alternet/
Old 7th May 2019, 10:02 AM   #777
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

I seriously doubt anyone who matters cares that she was into astrology when she was in college, 16 years ago.
Great! I'm glad to see you no longer believe it's a Google smear campaign!

They'd have to care before they bothered to smear her, after all.
Old 7th May 2019, 10:07 AM   #778
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Honest question: It is necessary that a search engine like Google has an algorithm for ordering the results of a search. Does that really constitute "censorship"? That's quite a stretch.
If you look at the timing and context of the when and how the downranking happened, yeah, it does look like look like (show itself to be, IMO) censorship.

Quote:
Furthermore, according to that article:

...which is absolutely consistent with AlterNet not being given priority in searches according to this (which I will admit I have not verified):
How is that consistent, since Alternet is not fake news by any definition?

Quote:
Oh, please. It says "AlterNet has conistently reported on the connection between cell phones and cancer, which is misleading as there is not a scientific consensus on whether radiation for cell phones causes cancer or not."

And here's an example of them on that topic:
https://www.alternet.org/2018/04/doe...-cause-cancer/

Quote:
Between the alarming conspiracy theories, the “possible human carcinogen” verdict, and reassuring reports like the one in the Times, it’s hard to know what to believe, and that in itself can cause anxiety, because we certainly need to know. More than a billion people use cell phones daily. Are our phones putting us in danger or not?

The short answer is probably not, but it’s still better to take certain precautions.
Alternet is not "fake news" by any definition.
Old 7th May 2019, 10:08 AM   #779
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Great! I'm glad to see you no longer believe it's a Google smear campaign!

They'd have to care before they bothered to smear her, after all.
Hey, I just think there's a chance they might be trying. lol
Old 7th May 2019, 10:54 AM   #780
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

If you look at the timing and context of the when and how the downranking happened, yeah, it does look like look like (show itself to be, IMO) censorship.
Can you elaborate on this? The only timing I am aware of is that Google decided to be proactive about not spreading fake news, and adjusted their algorithm accordingly. AlterNet, which has some articles supporting pseudoscience, was affected accordingly. Seems quite natural (ie, not "censorship") to me. Did you have something else in mind?

Quote:

How is that consistent, since Alternet is not fake news by any definition?

I consider pseudoscience a subset of fake news.

Quote:
Oh, please. It says "AlterNet has conistently reported on the connection between cell phones and cancer, which is misleading as there is not a scientific consensus on whether radiation for cell phones causes cancer or not."

And here's an example of them on that topic:
https://www.alternet.org/2018/04/doe...-cause-cancer/
And here is yet another:

https://www.alternet.org/2013/06/rad...ut-cellphones/

...where they interview Devra Davis. More on Devra Davis:

Quote:
Dr. Davis has had an impressive career, if Wikipedia is to be believed, and stayed mostly within the mainstream of science and her field of epidemiology and cancer research. She has won some high profile awards and even shared in the 2007 Nobel Peace prize awarded to Al Gore and 400 of Dr. Davis’ fellow lead authors of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. It is unfortunate, therefore, that her new book Disconnect: The Truth About Cell Phone Radiation, What the Industry Has Done to Hide it, and How to Protect Your Family hits so far off the mark. It is a hodge-podge of cherry picked and mis-represented science that reveals more about Davis’ individual ideological outlook than it ever does about the current state of the scientific consensus.
From http://www.skepticnorth.com/2010/12/...cience-part-i/

Quote:
Alternet is not "fake news" by any definition.

It certainly looks like pseudoscience fake news to me.

Last edited by Cabbage; 7th May 2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 7th May 2019, 12:20 PM   #781
wareyin
Philosopher

Honestly, I'd never heard of her til today. Seems to be pretty common. But, I don't run in conspiracy theorist circles, nor is astrology on my radar.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 12:35 PM   #782
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I already went back to "how we got there" and apologized to "quad". Your posts have been less than helpful. Although I find it a bit amusing that we now have two pages obsessing about Caitlin Johnstone. This is more than the usual amount of outrage she creates with her hard-hitting analysis.
Old 7th May 2019, 01:02 PM   #783
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

I already went back to "how we got there" and apologized to "quad". Your posts have been less than helpful. Although I find it a bit amusing that we now have two pages obsessing about Caitlin Johnstone. This is more than the usual amount of outrage she creates with her hard-hitting analysis.
Actually, it looks more like it was a persistent (at least initially) refusal on your and kellyb's parts to refuse the truth about her, as well as Google;s "censorship".
Old 7th May 2019, 01:38 PM   #784
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Because she is a writer of nonsense. Astrology was her most successful foray into nonsense. "Rogue journalist" is her latest nonsensical writing path.
Indeed, my google hit comes up with her public facebook profile;

Quote:
Caitlin Johnstone - Home | Facebook

https://en-gb.facebook.com › Pages › Public figure › Writer
Caitlin Johnstone. 28912 likes · 8234 talking about this. Rogue journalist. Bogan socialist. Anarcho-psychonaut. Guerrilla poet. Utopia prepper. You...
...have been warned about the reliability of her from her own words
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 02:06 PM   #785
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Actually, it looks more like it was a persistent (at least initially) refusal on your and kellyb's parts to refuse the truth about her, as well as Google;s "censorship".

Maybe to you, but that doesn't matter. Never forget that there's no thing like bad publicity.
Old 7th May 2019, 02:45 PM   #786
wareyin
Philosopher

Maybe to you, but that doesn't matter. Never forget that there's no thing like bad publicity.
Words Jacob Wohl seems to live by. Although in английский, the phrase is "there's no such thing as bad publicity."
Old 7th May 2019, 06:26 PM   #787
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Are you claiming that her astrology book was "one of the first things" you found googling her?

Yes.

Quote:
This is obviously untrue.

You're calling me a liar to support your claims?

Not much better than your other claims, I guess.

Quote:
You found some propaganda article where her astrology book was used to smear her.

Further investigation led me to her Twit account, where she discounted her production of the book as simply making a buck, but it took more in-depth searching on my part than simply typing in her name and getting an Amazon page hawking her book on astrology.

Quote:
Written to be found by you.

<snip>

Actually, I have you to thank for finding that. Apparently I should have kept digging to get to the really juicy stuff.

ETA: Apology accepted.

Last edited by quadraginta; 7th May 2019 at 07:04 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2019, 07:06 PM   #788
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I thought the story was that she only wrote it because someone offered her money to do it, and she really needed the gelt. (Not that that is a lot more admirable.)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics